Amazon to bid for Premier League rights

Hal9000

Club-specific season passes, where you get access to every game of a team of your choice, cannot be far away. It's annoying paying ridiculous television prices for both Sky and BT (and now Amazon, too) to watch Huddersfield v Brighton for a Saturday early-afternoon kick-off.
It won't happen due to the equal share rule.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
The cake is already pretty much carved up for overseas viewers. I get all epl games with my mobile contract, but cup games are time to go find streams that are probably a tad illegal.
how much does it cost you a month / year for all EPL matches?

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
A third big player in the bidding will only push the price of the rights up, which in turn will be passed on to the customers. So we can look forward to having to shell out even more. There's more live matches in this latest deal too so prices will definitely inflate.

Worst case scenario is Sky, BT and Amazon all win one or more packages. Hello three separate subscriptions! :mad:

I'd be very surprised (and happy) if Amazon offer the football as part of the current Prime deal. These rights cost billions so they have to get the money back somehow. Although a company of that size and profit could absorb it in the short term in order to attract more customers.

Trizy

I support this. I've streamed United games illegally since streams first broke onto the scene.

I'd happily pay for this if it was pay-per-view. Sky Sports is way too expensive, especially when you'd only use it once a week for football.

Another Pro is bigger competition equals more money for PL Clubs.

stubie

It's not Amazon Sky or BT should be concerned about, it's beIN Sports!

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I support this. I've streamed United games illegally since streams first broke onto the scene.

I'd happily pay for this if it was pay-per-view. Sky Sports is way too expensive, especially when you'd only use it once a week for football.

Another Pro is bigger competition equals more money for PL Clubs.

Sky Sports Main Event is now only *I think* £19 a month if you just want EPL football and the odd other major sporting even which is pretty decent value IMO

Trizy

A third big player in the bidding will only push the price of the rights up, which in turn will be passed on to the customers. So we can look forward to having to shell out even more. There's more live matches in this latest deal too so prices will definitely inflate.

Worst case scenario is Sky, BT and Amazon all win one or more packages. Hello three separate subscriptions! :mad:

I'd be very surprised (and happy) if Amazon offer the football as part of the current Prime deal. These rights cost billions so they have to get the money back somehow. Although a company of that size and profit could absorb it in the short term in order to attract more customers.
I'd imagine that's exactly what they'll do. They would get a massive increase of subscribers almost instantly. This is also lead to big advert revenue for them.

Hope they don't get shite pundits though.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Broadcasters should be bound and directed by what consumers want, not the other way around. Look at the obscene numbers of those who stream matches rather than pay those extortionate subscriptions - they obviously don't want the limited packages which are available to them via the paid services and seek other avenues.
That's about the overall cost. A huge percentage of illegal streamers, including myself, are willing to pay a reasonable price for a quality steam.

The world doesn't work that way. Can you pick and choose what channels you want with a standard TV package? Course you can't. You get all the shit channels thrown in that no one wants. If you could choose to watch specific games then broadcasters would lose out massively on views.if you've got a package that has Arsenal Spurs available to view then you would probably watch it. If you had to pay additional money on top of your package you wouldn't bother.

Jacko21

I'd imagine that's exactly what they'll do. They would get a massive increase of subscribers almost instantly. This is also lead to big advert revenue for them.

Hope they don't get shite pundits though.
They'd probably just tap into Premier League TV.

That's the funny thing about all this, the Premier League already has the infrastructure in place to auction off streaming rights for UK audiences. They already produce in-house content and have a commentary/punditry team at every Premier league game - for the benefit of overseas audiences and international broadcasters.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Will it be like watching ‘live’ on BT or Sky player though? Because both of those, especially the latter, are always behind. It’s only ever truly live without buffering through the TV.

ivaldo

Sky Sports Main Event is now only *I think* £19 a month if you just want EPL football and the odd other major sporting even which is pretty decent value IMO
Only £19 a month for one channel that you'll watch once or twice a week. Bargain!

Lennon7

No way Amazon would offer this on the cheap. They could easily charge £30-40 and people would hand over money happily. That's regardless of whether they have Prime already.

I did read that Sky and BT will team up to bid on the next package.
£30-40? Nah no way. Even Sky don’t charge half of that.

SirAF

Ageist
Only £19 a month for one channel that you'll watch once or twice a week. Bargain!
Tbf, if you get to watch every/most United matches then that is dirt cheap. Where I live it's £40 a month thank you very much.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Sky don't have all the rights. BT have most. Unless you think Amazon will end up with a minority share?
No it’s the other way around. Sky have all but 2 packages in the current deal I believe.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
feck all that shit! Get rid of not showing 3pm kick offs and I’ll be fully aboard whatever fecking platform they want me to use!

Green_Red

As long as it’s not one or the other. The issue is we’re having to subscribe to both Sky and BT. What should actually happen is the Premier league stream every game for a fee and we only have to be loyal to one service.
Here in Australia I have access to all 380 games live on stream and catch up, included in my monthly mobile phone bill, which only costs me $60 AUD including, data, texts and calls. Dreading moving back to the UK!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Tbf, if you get to watch every/most United matches then that is dirt cheap. Where I live it's £40 a month thank you very much.
you don't. that probably covers half of Utd's games.

i'd happily pay £40 a month for one channel that gives me every Utd game.

Lennon7

Sky don't have all the rights. BT have most. Unless you think Amazon will end up with a minority share?
BT definitely don’t have more than Sky. That’s just my inkling, but according to this article BT have 42 premier league games this season, Sky have 126.

Besides, no ones saying Amazon are going for all the rights. They’d most likely have a share as Sky and maybe BT won’t keel over that easily.

SirAF

Ageist
Here in Australia I have access to all 380 games live on stream and catch up, included in my monthly mobile phone bill, which only costs me $60 AUD including, data, texts and calls. Dreading moving back to the UK!
:drool:

Flying high

Will it be like watching ‘live’ on BT or Sky player though? Because both of those, especially the latter, are always behind. It’s only ever truly live without buffering through the TV.
Satellite is at least a few seconds behind terrestrial tv or radio signal.

If I can finally get all matches in one place I'd be happy. Just need BT to pull their finger out and install fibre here now. They've only delayed it around 15 times in 9 years.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
BT definitely don’t have more than Sky. That’s just my inkling, but according to this article BT have 42 premier league games this season, Sky have 126.

Besides, no ones saying Amazon are going for all the rights. They’d most likely have a share as Sky and maybe BT won’t keel over that easily.
Ah I was thinking about PL matches only. Factoring in other leagues, CL etc BT may well have more.

Green_Red

I know, its a joke. Premier league need to tell all the broadcasters to feck off, start their own online streaming service and charge a fortune to advertisers. Theyd make an absolute mint! More than theyre making now, thats for sure.

SirAF

Ageist
I know, its a joke. Premier league need to tell all the broadcasters to feck off, start their own online streaming service and charge a fortune to advertisers. Theyd make an absolute mint! More than theyre making now, thats for sure.
Yeah, I've said for a long time that PPV is the way to go. Put together a season ticket package for each team in addition to the possibility to buy one off PPVs.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
No it’s the other way around. Sky have all but 2 packages in the current deal I believe.
Yeah you're right. I'm thinking of the CL package too. BT have that for a few years yet I think. I still think it will be £30+ for the PL matches if Amazon got the lot, or the majority. I can't see them offering it for £10 or anything near that. I'm happy to be proven wrong though and would have over my money straight away.

ivaldo

You get to watch their selected matches. For comparisons sake NBCs premier league pass is $50 for the entire season, and that includes more games than you get with Sky.

Classical Mechanic

Not sure about that. They will probably use it as a loss leader to get people on their platform like BT do.

Lennon7

Ah I was thinking about PL matches only. Factoring in other leagues, CL etc BT may well have more.
I was too, BT have exclusive European competition rights to be fair but Sky have 3x as many premier league games. They also have European leagues and EFL football.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I don't think Amazon will charge that much extra, they are still a long way off competing with Netflix. Prime's content languishes far behind what Netflix has to offer.

tomaldinho1

Good news - Amazon so far have been exceptional whether using them for music, films, food shops or buying random stuff I probably don't need. Hopefully there's some kind of bundle they will do and their prices won't be as ludicrous.

Lennon7

Satellite is at least a few seconds behind terrestrial tv or radio signal.

If I can finally get all matches in one place I'd be happy. Just need BT to pull their finger out and install fibre here now. They've only delayed it around 15 times in 9 years.
Yeah but those online players are at the very least a minute behind! I’d get amazon for football if it wasn’t ridiculously priced, yeah.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Yeah but those online players are at the very least a minute behind! I’d get amazon for football if it wasn’t ridiculously priced, yeah.
That would be an issue for them to overcome. Nobody wants to watch live sports but get updates faster from the radio or mates at the games.

What's the chances they try to release a TV package like the rest have done?

Green_Red

Yeah, I've said for a long time that PPV is the way to go. Put together a season ticket package for each team in addition to the possibility to buy one off PPVs.
The sooner the better or fans will just boycott it and watch MOTD instead. Fans are being mugged off the the premier league now.

T_Model101

What I'm angry about is where was the 12 game a year or so package that a terrestrial broadcaster like ITV or BBC may have been able to bid for?
Every single package is like 30 games, money grabbing cnuts

Jacko21

Good news - Amazon so far have been exceptional whether using them for music, films, food shops or buying random stuff I probably don't need. Hopefully there's some kind of bundle they will do and their prices won't be as ludicrous.
Yeah, easy to show contempt for a giant like Amazon entering the market, but the reality is that they're very good at nearly everything they turn their hand to.

Everything they do is focused around customer-happiness and because of that often deliver. Pun intended.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Something like NBA League Pass is ideal. It's quite expensive here compared to Netflix or Spotify but you get all games, every day, with home or away teams commentary and then can watch them after they've finished either full or condensed. Brilliant.

abaka

As an Amazon Prime subscriber. I'd welcome this move if it finally allows us the freedom to subscribe to only matches we want. I'd happily pay the prices Sky charge for every single United game as opposed to 90% of matches I won't watch.

SirAF

Ageist
Something like NBA League Pass is ideal. It's quite expensive here compared to Netflix or Spotify but you get all games, every day, with home or away teams commentary and then can watch them after they've finished either full or condensed. Brilliant.
Should be possible to just buy a "Manchester United season pass" where you get all the PL matches for the whole season. I have zero interest (for most of the time) to watch the other teams.