Amber Heard vs Johnny Depp | Depp wins on all 3 counts

NotThatSoph

That's not actually true is it? That wasn't the jury's decision.

But I do agree in general that we need to be careful. It's pretty clear watching Heard on the stand that Depp had a point here and that she was lying about a lot, but that doesn't absolve him of his wrongs. Though personally, I don't believe at all it sank to the depths she claimed.
Sure, it's a bit inaccurate. Guilty of carrying a concealed weapon and contempt of court as well as tax evasion. I'm not quite sure what you mean about 'that wasn't the jury's decision'. He was found guilty of 6 out of 23 charges in the tax evasion case, three of them felonies. That was a jury decision, unless google is completely failing me, while the sentencing was done by the judge. The concealed carry charge was in front of a grand jury, I don't know how that works.

Not guilty of any activities typically associated with gangster stuff, though, which was the point I was trying to make. Whether things are decided by a judge or a jury isn't particularly important to me, so I should probably have left that part out.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Why isn't someone telling her to just stop talking. :lol:
Because some people still believe her. Like all things internet, this as been turned into a tribal team sports type of event. Some are even calling for her to appeal saying things like "this isn't the last you have heard of this!!!" like its some dramatic soap opera, which to be fair it kind of became.

I saw Julie Fox was talking a lot of shit about power, and excusing Heards actions saying "Did she hit him? Yes. Was it abuse? No. You need power to abuse and she didn't have any. She was only 25." Its interesting that she calls it like this, because I don't believe that to be the case. But even if we did assert that his is the only way to abuse someone, Amber Heard did have power. And she knew it. We all heard the tape of her telling Depp to tell people and that no one would believe him. She weaponised the fact she's a woman in the metoo era. What is that if not her asserting power over Depp? So any way you look at it, she abused him.

But like I said, its a tribalistic team sport now. People on her side will never shift from that position. they can't, not now. They can't admit they were wrong, so its double down time and Heard is playing up to that by posting this nonsense. In effect, continuing to assert her power as a woman in the metoo era to abuse Depp. In the words of some fecking idiot writing for the independent, this isn't the last we have heard of this. Not by a long shot.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
The first one is fantastic fun, the rest just ride on its coat tails.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Good result in the end based on what I've seen of the trial. It was clear that she lied throughout it. And while some of it may have been true to some extent, their is no doubt that she massively exaggerated every little thing to suit her agenda at every opportunity.

On a broader picture, it is a shame that her actions are now going to set back real domestic violence victims. Though based on her initial statement after the verdict, it looks like she is going to double down instead of just moving on. She only knows how to play the victim card.

Hopefully this whole thing isn't dragged through an appeal process, though can easily see Heard doing just that.

I can also see Depp starting to get a few more movie roles again, as Hollywood will likely want to ride the public wave of support, and cash in.

Moby

Dick
It wouldn’t surprise me at all if we wake up to news in the coming weeks that she’s committed suicide.

Financially ruined. Career ruined and universally hated. I can see only one outcome from this.
Don't think it will get anywhere near that and there are a few facets to it.

First thing is financial, as has been discussed here before, this trial was between a bunch of multi millionaires who have a bunch of millionaire/billionaire friends and it is massively different from a similar dispute happening to middle class people where they can genuinely be reduced to nothing just from the expenses of a lawsuit let alone any further damages. In her case she's not gonna be living off a dumpster or something, there will be plenty of people to bail her out and do enough to allow her to live a better than normal life.

In terms of career, probably getting movies is gonna be tough but someone who has gained so much popularity at this stage will still have plenty of avenues to make a decent living. There's enough jobs for celebrities as long as they are in good shape which she is in. Heck she can start writing columns for some shit magazine or something and keep milking this entire saga more and more till a long time and there will be plenty of audience for that. It's America, there's no shortage of finding work for the craziest of theorists and she can just keep showing up as a public figure and a so called face for domestic violence which she has already called herself as.

After that it is only down to her mental state and if she was to suddenly start blaming herself and drown in some kind of self guilt but that's pretty much opposite to what we have seen from her and that statement seconds after getting a guilty verdict is what aligns with the personality we have seen. She will be doubling, tripling, quadrupling down on this stance and continue to blame the whole world for treating her as a liar. Anyone expecting any kind of decency are looking in the wrong direction. As someone said here this is probably the most amount of publicity she has ever received and she's gonna be making the best of it.

So yeah as we had discussed a while back, while the actual issue in question here is massively severe, for most of us were rather indifferent about the outcome as the repercussions either way were never gonna be as severe as it would have been for a common person. They're both gonna live in luxury till the end of their years.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Good. If amber wins then men are fecked.
Don't think it will get anywhere near that and there are a few facets to it.

First thing is financial, as has been discussed here before, this trial was between a bunch of multi millionaires who have a bunch of millionaire/billionaire friends and it is massively different from a similar dispute happening to middle class people where they can genuinely be reduced to nothing just from the expenses of a lawsuit let alone any further damages. In her case she's not gonna be living off a dumpster or something, there will be plenty of people to bail her out and do enough to allow her to live a better than normal life.

In terms of career, probably getting movies is gonna be tough but someone who has gained so much popularity at this stage will still have plenty of avenues to make a decent living. There's enough jobs for celebrities as long as they are in good shape which she is in. Heck she can start writing columns for some shit magazine or something and keep milking this entire saga more and more till a long time and there will be plenty of audience for that. It's America, there's no shortage of finding work for the craziest of theorists and she can just keep showing up as a public figure and a so called face for domestic violence which she has already called herself as.

After that it is only down to her mental state and if she was to suddenly start blaming herself and drown in some kind of self guilt but that's pretty much opposite to what we have seen from her and that statement seconds after getting a guilty verdict is what aligns with the personality we have seen. She will be doubling, tripling, quadrupling down on this stance and continue to blame the whole world for treating her as a liar. Anyone expecting any kind of decency are looking in the wrong direction. As someone said here this is probably the most amount of publicity she has ever received and she's gonna be making the best of it.

So yeah as we had discussed a while back, while the actual issue in question here is massively severe, for most of us were rather indifferent about the outcome as the repercussions either way were never gonna be as severe as it would have been for a common person. They're both gonna live in luxury till the end of their years.
If she has the common sense for the above she'd have at least got married still and be an ok wife to Johnny. But we know common sense and rational thoughts arent her forte.

Plus their bottom line and our average joe bottom line are different. What's still ok for us could have been bottom line for her.

My take is that she'd be ruined mentally, fall into drugs and probably led a sad ending

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Both of them aren't innocent angels by any stretch of the imagination. One went on the attack and got burnt for it, due to the latter's public stature and influence.

Moby

Dick
My take is that she'd be ruined mentally, fall into drugs and probably led a sad ending
It's possible and I hope that doesn't happen but I think it probably won't either. You say she doesn't have common sense, maybe not but it has seemed she has enough sense to know what avenues are there to milk either for reputation or money. That's what you'd get from her looking at a movement like metoo and going ahead with a bunch of lies to get publicity and public sympathy. Then you add the fact that she went on to various media outlets to bang on about "I didn't get any money" etc, while not a single dollar leaving her account.

This isn't a dumb person, this is someone who knows what they can get away with and the safety net they have even in a scenario like today's where things go completely wrong. It's what I see them attempting and keep attempting more and more times. And there will always be enough of an audience to give all that shit the limelight it doesn't deserve. The way I see it is similar to celebs/politicians etc who never care about losing lawsuits or any bad press and just continue banging the same agenda till the end of time with zero guilt or self-reflection. I guess that stuff happens so commonly in so many places and that's maybe skewing my opinion but we are obviously all just speculating.

Drainy

feck sake, I wish you people would stop reading the headlines and start to wise up.
His career was destroyed by one person's word, and even still after its been exposed most of the media is carrying water for her.

I don't get how people reconcile that in their brains.

cyberman

Both of them aren't innocent angels by any stretch of the imagination. One went on the attack and got burnt for it, due to the latter's public stature and influence.
Depp is innocent? He may be a druggie mess he doesn’t look to be a woman beater. I really don’t get posts like these. There’s a reason nobody went to bat for Amber

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Interesting question, Can the Sun still call Deppo a wife beater?

Also slightly confused, Deppo was found guilty on one count of defamation thanks to his lawyer, who called Heardios abuse allegations a hoax in a statement. Does that mean they weren't a hoax?
Genuinely confused by that ruling as the rest of the outcome appears to suggest otherwise.

Looks like it's going to happen all again in the appeal though!

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC

Also slightly confused, Deppo was found guilty on one count of defamation thanks to his lawyer, who called Heardios abuse allegations a hoax in a statement. Does that mean they weren't a hoax?
Genuinely confused by that ruling as the rest of the outcome appears to suggest otherwise.

Depp's lawyer claimed in one statement that Heard and her friends staged a scene and called the police twice, that or one part of it was found false. The jury found the hoax allegations as such to be true.

Champ

Depp's lawyer claimed in one statement that Heard and her friends staged a scene and called the police twice, that or one part of it was found false. The jury found the hoax allegations as such to be true.
Ok,
That's a bit odd, that's really confusing then, so are they saying that wasn't staged? Or just there's no evidence to suggest it was staged hence the defamation?

Wing Attack Plan R

I think Heard drastically miscalculated. There have been some actresses who married slightly older but infinitely more successful actors, and when the marriage ended they sought to really carve out their own persona as a celebrity without the boost from their former partner: Nicole Kidman and Katie Holmes are two who spring to mind. They both talked as much shit as possible without crossing the line into getting sued.

I think Heard believed describing her relationship as IPV would earn her public sympathy points, and her role as an “IPV ambassador” would spitshine her image, and she probably never saw it going anywhere near this far. Maybe she really believed Aquaman made her a legit star and she didn’t need Depp and maybe James Franco was a little too tempting. She basically did the standard shit-talking on her ex, got some terrible advice from the ACLU, and celebrated a little too early.

The problem is she opened Depp up to criminal charges with her story (and, to be fair, if he really did the bottle rape thing then he should be in prison ). She probably was engaging in brinkmanship and Depp called her bluff then ROFLstomped her in court.

it’s a very sordid tale. Heard went for the nuclear option and burned herself. I don’t believe her, so I feel some semblance of Justice was done.

Last edited:

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC
Ok,
That's a bit odd, that's really confusing then, so are they saying that wasn't staged? Or just there's no evidence to suggest it was staged hence the defamation?
Apart from what harshad already wrote, maybe the jury just didn't believe her friends were in on it, but that they were deceived by her as well. I have to say i'm slightly confused that they found Waldman acted with actual malice, though, he may well have thought that it happened that way.

Smores

Apart from what harshad already wrote, maybe the jury just didn't believe her friends were in on it, but that they were deceived by her as well. I have to say i'm slightly confused that they found Waldman acted with actual malice, though, he may well have thought that it happened that way.
I think they just found he had no substantial reason to believe what he said and that he acted with malice. Whether it happened or not is unknown.

It's funny seeing some media outlets switch their coverage style. Quickly reverted to factual rather than opinion as they now fear getting sued for their previously slanted reporting.

Denis79

They could but would look really stupid doing so. This trial was much more detailed and had much more evidence and witnesses than the UK trial and the outcome was the opposite.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The first one was good fun. The second and third are messy and convoluted but at least belong to the same franchise. The rest are all pointless. On the positive side, there wont be any more of them made (or if they are they'd be made without Depp and would be ruined by his absence).
Margot Robbie is headlining the next one.

Sviken

Odds on them getting back together?
I'm sure Heard would immediately jump on that opportunity, but I think Depp is done with her. I've listened to some of the recordings and he legitimately seems mentally out of the relationship even before they got divorced.

Margot Robbie is headlining the next one.
wow, this would bomb so hard.

Its more likely that it wasn't staged than it is that it was staged.
I understood it slightly different. The jury doesn't believe Amber and her lies, but still consider Waldman's statements defamatory and costing her the role in Aquaman 3 (hence the 2 million awarded to her that she lost). Now, I don't think the jury knows or not, but the Waldman statements had little to no effect on Heard. It was the tape leaks that turned public opinion against her.

Champ

They could but would look really stupid doing so. This trial was much more detailed and had much more evidence and witnesses than the UK trial and the outcome was the opposite.
Very true, much more of the deeper darker facts came out in this trial.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Couldn't care less about this to be honest, mainly because it instantly became a proxy for dumb culture war, right wing, anti woke types to push back on #metoo.

The fact that both these people are unhinged idiots doesn't help and I have disdain for both of them. I'm not sure how anyone can side with either party without just leaning into some preconceived bias.

The fact it's clear that Depp's team has spammed social media with videos and targeted ads against Heard shows how sketchy the guy is.

Then there is Heard herself, who is clearly devoid of empathy and compassion, screams of a social climber and is desperate to re-launch a failing career by piggy backing off of a genuine movement also screams sketchy.

The whole saga is just gross and I wish both parties would be found guilty tbh.

Withnail

Couldn't care less about this to be honest, mainly because it instantly became a proxy for dumb culture war, right wing, anti woke types to push back on #metoo.

The fact that both these people are unhinged idiots doesn't help and I have disdain for both of them. I'm not sure how anyone can side with either party without just leaning into some preconceived bias.

The fact it's clear that Depp's team has spammed social media with videos and targeted ads against Heard shows how sketchy the guy is.

Then there is Heard herself, who is clearly devoid of empathy and compassion, screams of a social climber and is desperate to re-launch a failing career by piggy backing off of a genuine movement also screams sketchy.

I'm also now seeing many on the left jumping to her defence just as disingenuously as the right are being. It's tiresome.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
The golddigging psychopath lost….thank feck for that. Shame on her bullshit and cynicism towards domestic violence

Sylar

I'm baffled by this thread. I won't name names but it's obvious who

This thread has been entertaining to follow with the inclusion of delusion to what everyone else was watching

I didn't know much about either personally except Depp was known as a wife beater and he lost that role in fantastic Beasts.

I think my first clip was seeing that lawyer object to his own witness after asking him a question? Anyway i ended up checking the full videos for more context and heard team (mostly the woman) were terrible. But heard speaking just basically destroyed her
She came off as a liar with no emotions. It was robotic and nothing like you see from somebody who is recalling a story

Depp seemed more like a human. Honestly if I was on the jury I would have pretty much agreed with that ruling

Sylar

Also regarding this thread people said they were pro Depp for this and admitted it

But the ones who were clearly pro heard would always caveat it with being 'balanced' but mostly have negative posts about Depp ignoring the horrible stuff heard said and always said:

"I don't care about either and both are as bad as each other... But... "

Despite evidence of this case showing that can't be true, and it's almost like they were embarrassed to admit how biased they really were

Baffling posts by people obviously actively following the case

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Also regarding this thread people said they were pro Depp for this and admitted it

But the ones who were clearly pro heard would always caveat it with being 'balanced' but mostly have negative posts about Depp ignoring the horrible stuff heard said and always said:

Despite evidence of this case showing that can't be true, and it's almost like they were embarrassed to admit how biased they really were

Completely agree and where are they now?

I followed this case from the start and for me it was clear she was a liar as soon as I heard the audio tapes. She was trying everything in her power to piss Depp off. Not the actions of someone who's scared for her life.

And then in court: my dog stepped on a bee...

Her career is over, but nothing of value was lost because she's clearly a terrible actress.

If you think both were in the wrong then you're basically saying that being an addict is just as bad as being an abuser, which is insane.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich

Rather a lot of assumptions in there. I have no positive feelings towards Heard whatsoever but I still felt the vitriol on here at times was pretty disgraceful, and I responded to that. Even the verdict, (which i desperately hope reflects the actual events that occurred) hasn’t changed my view on how some posters on here acted.

Godfather

You saw the same the other way round too. Depp was found guilty by many papers before the trial even started. Now they try to backpaddle in some weird ways, blaming God knows what but the fact that Heard is a lying sociopath.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
You saw the same the other way round too. Depp was found guilty by many papers before the trial even started. Now they try to backpaddle in some weird ways, blaming God knows what but the fact that Heard is a lying sociopath.
“The trial has turned into a public orgy of misogyny. While most of the vitriol is nominally directed at Heard, it is hard to shake the feeling that really, it is directed at all women – and in particular, at those of us who spoke out about gendered abuse and sexual violence during the height of the #MeToo movement. We are in a moment of virulent antifeminist backlash”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/01/amber-heard-johnny-depp-trial-metoo-backlash