Television American Gods - TV Show | No Book Discussion

Revan

Assumptionman
Really looking forward to this. It's a brilliant book and if they haven't fecked up the adaptation, could be a great show.
Indeed. The book however has material only for one season, so I don't know how they can keep the show go for a few seasons (assuming that is the plan).

Interested to see how it goes though.

Nickosaur

Found the book a bit meh tbh, but the trailer looked pretty good.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Indeed. The book however has material only for one season, so I don't know how they can keep the show go for a few seasons (assuming that is the plan).

Oh I really hope they only have plans to make one season, would be a real shame if it wasn't a 'one off' type of show.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Oh I really hope they only have plans to make one season, would be a real shame if it wasn't a 'one off' type of show.
You can flesh the premise out a lot though I think, though obviously depends on the quality of the writers. Is Gaiman on board with this or just in name?

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Love the book. Also like their choice of actor for the series, will definitely be watching this.

Still annoying how the yank cnuts are cannibalizing our Norse mythology though, fecking cartoons and blockbusters.

I wonder if I must declare yiih-hawd.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

The first 2 seasons will be based on the book and there are rumors that they intend to have 4 more

Runner

Been wanting to read this book for a while after loving Sandman. This trailer came out last month and convinced me it was time to read it. My copy arrived today. Show looks fantastic, Ian McShane is a great actor and i just found out Gillian Anderson has a role in it too.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
I'm freaking excited about this one. I hope they don't feck it up. The most important thing is whether or not they manage to catch the mood and feel of the book. It's a constant mystery, and you're always questioning what's going on, what is real and what is not. If they manage to convey that same feeling, it looks like it can be good.

That said, hearing that they are planning to flesh it out over multiple seasons, even going beyond the book, kinda ruins it for me. This would have been perfect to flesh out over one full, legendary season. And, then, follow up with Anansi Boys (which I probably liked even better than American Goods).

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yeah apparently the book is spread over two seasons which seems like way too much. I mean it's a pretty good book, but not a lot actually... happens, plus you don't really have a fecking notion what's going on til you get to the final act. It's hard to imagine a straight to TV adaptation. I'm sure they'll change a lot.

Revan

Assumptionman
Agree with other posters. The main thing I remember is that Odin lied and manipulated a lot but not much things happened up to the end.

Art

Art the artist
It appears the savage pirates of the interwebs have leaked the first episode of this show. Better get reporting lads.

harms

Staff
Quite liked the pilot. McShane is brilliant, as always.

pauldyson1uk

Been wanting to read this book for a while after loving Sandman. This trailer came out last month and convinced me it was time to read it. My copy arrived today. Show looks fantastic, Ian McShane is a great actor and i just found out Gillian Anderson has a role in it too.

:eek: WOW makes me want to watch it even more

Classical Mechanic

I have never heard of the books but the first episode of show was quite mental. The aesthetics and soundtrack were fantastic. Has two Manc actors in the lead roles and also a psychotic Irish Sergio Ramos in it.

A man also gets devoured by a vagina

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I have never heard of the books but the first episode of show was quite mental. The aesthetics and soundtrack were fantastic. Has two Manc actors in the lead roles and also a psychotic Irish Sergio Ramos in it.

It's made by the same guy who did Hannibal and Pushing Daisies so I'd have been amazed if the show wasn't aesthetically striking.

Dan

That scene you put in your spoiler was fecking nuts.

harms

Staff
That scene you put in your spoiler was fecking nuts.
The Guardian had to write an entire article about best/most entertaining sex scenes on TV because of it :lol:

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
That was absolute quality.

also..

[mod edit - no book spoilers]

Last edited by a moderator:

LLMU

I love the book and will watch the first episode tonight. And Ian McShane as Mr. Wednesday is the main reason i will watch the show.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Posters kicking off over spoilers? Subbing to tv show thread...

But yea I'm in for this show, have I said that already?

Fingeredmouse

I wonder how they'll portray the big twist at the end of the book where it turns out Shadow's dad is a sledge called Darth Vader?