America's favourite national pastime: Hating soccer

LARulz

This article is just hilarious. She is a regular on FOX News I believe:

AMERICA'S FAVORITE NATIONAL PASTIME: HATING SOCCER

I've held off on writing about soccer for a decade -- or about the length of the average soccer game -- so as not to offend anyone. But enough is enough. Any growing interest in soccer can only be a sign of the nation's moral decay.

(1) Individual achievement is not a big factor in soccer. In a real sport, players fumble passes, throw bricks and drop fly balls -- all in front of a crowd. When baseball players strike out, they're standing alone at the plate. But there's also individual glory in home runs, touchdowns and slam-dunks.

In soccer, the blame is dispersed and almost no one scores anyway. There are no heroes, no losers, no accountability, and no child's fragile self-esteem is bruised. There's a reason perpetually alarmed women are called "soccer moms," not "football moms."

Do they even have MVPs in soccer? Everyone just runs up and down the field and, every once in a while, a ball accidentally goes in. That's when we're supposed to go wild. I'm already asleep.

(2) Liberal moms like soccer because it's a sport in which athletic talent finds so little expression that girls can play with boys. No serious sport is co-ed, even at the kindergarten level.

(3) No other "sport" ends in as many scoreless ties as soccer. This was an actual marquee sign by the freeway in Long Beach, California, about a World Cup game last week: "2nd period, 11 minutes left, score: 0:0." Two hours later, another World Cup game was on the same screen: "1st period, 8 minutes left, score: 0:0." If Michael Jackson had treated his chronic insomnia with a tape of Argentina vs. Brazil instead of Propofol, he'd still be alive, although bored.

Even in football, by which I mean football, there are very few scoreless ties -- and it's a lot harder to score when a half-dozen 300-pound bruisers are trying to crush you.

(4) The prospect of either personal humiliation or major injury is required to count as a sport. Most sports are sublimated warfare. As Lady Thatcher reportedly said after Germany had beaten England in some major soccer game: Don't worry. After all, twice in this century we beat them at their national game.

Baseball and basketball present a constant threat of personal disgrace. In hockey, there are three or four fights a game -- and it's not a stroll on beach to be on ice with a puck flying around at 100 miles per hour. After a football game, ambulances carry off the wounded. After a soccer game, every player gets a ribbon and a juice box.

(5) You can't use your hands in soccer. (Thus eliminating the danger of having to catch a fly ball.) What sets man apart from the lesser beasts, besides a soul, is that we have opposable thumbs. Our hands can hold things. Here's a great idea: Let's create a game where you're not allowed to use them!

(6) I resent the force-fed aspect of soccer. The same people trying to push soccer on Americans are the ones demanding that we love HBO's "Girls," light-rail, Beyonce and Hillary Clinton. The number of New York Times articles claiming soccer is "catching on" is exceeded only by the ones pretending women's basketball is fascinating.

I note that we don't have to be endlessly told how exciting football is.

(7) It's foreign. In fact, that's the precise reason the Times is constantly hectoring Americans to love soccer. One group of sports fans with whom soccer is not "catching on" at all, is African-Americans. They remain distinctly unimpressed by the fact that the French like it.

(8) Soccer is like the metric system, which liberals also adore because it's European. Naturally, the metric system emerged from the French Revolution, during the brief intervals when they weren't committing mass murder by guillotine.

Despite being subjected to Chinese-style brainwashing in the public schools to use centimeters and Celsius, ask any American for the temperature, and he'll say something like "70 degrees." Ask how far Boston is from New York City, he'll say it's about 200 miles.

Liberals get angry and tell us that the metric system is more "rational" than the measurements everyone understands. This is ridiculous. An inch is the width of a man's thumb, a foot the length of his foot, a yard the length of his belt. That's easy to visualize. How do you visualize 147.2 centimeters?

(9) Soccer is not "catching on." Headlines this week proclaimed "Record U.S. ratings for World Cup," and we had to hear -- again -- about the "growing popularity of soccer in the United States."

The USA-Portugal game was the blockbuster match, garnering 18.2 million viewers on ESPN. This beat the second-most watched soccer game ever: The 1999 Women's World Cup final (USA vs. China) on ABC. (In soccer, the women's games are as thrilling as the men's.)

Run-of-the-mill, regular-season Sunday Night Football games average more than 20 million viewers; NFL playoff games get 30 to 40 million viewers; and this year's Super Bowl had 111.5 million viewers.

Remember when the media tried to foist British soccer star David Beckham and his permanently camera-ready wife on us a few years ago? Their arrival in America was heralded with 24-7 news coverage. That lasted about two days. Ratings tanked. No one cared.

If more "Americans" are watching soccer today, it's only because of the demographic switch effected by Teddy Kennedy's 1965 immigration law. I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time.

This has to be a parody. Sorry if it's posted in another part of the forum or even earlier in this one, didn't see it.

Last edited:

GTius_Red

Saw this article earlier. Thought it was satire.
Nope just plain old Coulter again

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Stupid cow Ann Coulter. Don't give her any hits on her page, it's exactly why it's written, to slate a popular event to drive traffic to her website. Please, don't clickbait and give her any cheer.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Its Coulter, what does she know. She clearly hasn't watched football, otherwise she would notice certain player using...their hands.

Doesntmata

Well, Ann Coulter is a IRL-Troll .. A stupid conservative anti-semit racist anti-hbtq whore who only have one purpose in her life, being violently gangraped by a bunch of afro-americans ... fecking stupid whore of a yank, waste of breathe.. You can look up some other genious columns she has wroten, and quotes she have said..

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Well, Ann Coulter is a IRL-Troll .. A stupid conservative anti-semit racist anti-hbtq whore who only have one purpose in her life, being violently gangraped by a bunch of afro-americans ... fecking stupid whore of a yank, waste of breathe.. You can look up some other genious columns she has wroten, and quotes she have said..
tell us how you really feel :houllier:

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
This article is just hilarious. She is a regular on FOX News I believe:

This has to be a parody. Sorry if it's posted in another part of the forum or even earlier in this one, didn't see it.
Our parody is much better than that:

www.theonion.com/articles/nation-will-always-have-fond-vague-recollection-of,36152/
http://www.theonion.com/articles/mls-seasonbegins-wraps-up-well-heres-a-photo-oflan,32222/
http://www.theonion.com/articles/nazi-salute-tarnishes-soccers-otherwise-spotless-r,31721/

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
This is inappropriate.

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
Please don't associate ann with the rest of us.
She is well known for making a career out of spouting pointless drivel that her mentally challenged fans laps up.
She is basically a female rush limbaugh.

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
She sounds a fun female to be around.

BTW...
Why is The Baseball World Series so-called when only the U.S. are involved ?

Last edited:

NoLogo

Horse face Ann strikes again I see.

"Hey people are starting to watch soccer in the US. How can I write an article to profit off this? I know let's talk rubbish about it, at least this demands no understanding or even knowledge of the topic. I'm writing trash about it because if I actually had to know what the feck I'm talking about I would be fecked."

MarylandMUFan

Coulter and Fox, true. But closer to the majority opinion then people will admit
I know a lot of people that don't watch soccer, many because it has a reputation of being boring. I find that laughable since the game is only 90 minutes with only 1 commercial break at half time yet we (as Americans) are willing to put up with sports that last over 4 hours where 3.5 hours is either a stop in play or a commercial break.

What does it for most of my friends is the rolling around while pretending to be injured. It's something that drives most Americans (including me) crazy and turns some people off enough that they won't watch the sport.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
That article's pretty insane alright. In this day and age, it could well pass for satire. I'm still not entirely sure if this article has been written mostly for hits or if she truly does believe what she has typed up. It's funny how the piece, presumably purported to be some intelligent opposition to soccer, contains all the stupid and ill-informed arguments that seem to pop up whenever a person who has never even watched the sport tries to discredit it. Not even worth thinking twice about.

Oh and to the guy who wrote that rather baffling post regarding his disgust for her, I find her article ridiculous too but not THAT much. Jesus.......

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I know a lot of people that don't watch soccer, many because it has a reputation of being boring. I find that laughable since the game is only 90 minutes with only 1 commercial break at half time yet we (as Americans) are willing to put up with sports that last over 4 hours where 3.5 hours is either a stop in play or a commercial break.

What does it for most of my friends is the rolling around while pretending to be injured. It's something that drives most Americans (including me) crazy and turns some people off enough that they won't watch the sport.
So you haven't watched basketball lately :lol:

So much coverage for golf as well. I thought Golf was brilliant to play, but a bit boring to watch. I'll never hate Golf or any sport because it's 'foreign' though. As long as people don't click the link, it's alright.

MarylandMUFan

So you haven't watched basketball lately :lol:

So much coverage for golf as well. I thought Golf was brilliant to play, but a bit boring to watch. I'll never hate Golf or any sport because it's 'foreign' though. As long as people don't click the link, it's alright.
I enjoy watching pretty much every sport. It's why I don't understand the "boring" complaints about any of it. Once you really learn and understand the nuances of the game (any game) the competition is usually fascinating.

alsabi

She sounds a fun female to be around.

BTW...
Why is The Baseball World Series so-called when only the U.S. are involved ?
Well, other than the US (and possibly Japan), I can't think of any other country where baseball is a massive sport. So I guess being champions of America makes you champions of the world by default?

Nogbadthebad

This is the bit that always gets me too. I'm no connoisseur of American Football, but I watch the superbowl every year for the spectacle of it all. But really when you look at it, in the 4 hours it takes to play one hour of clock time, very little actually happens, you can usually fit the action into about 10 minutes at most.

Nothing wrong with that, but to criticize other sports for not much happening is a bit confusing to me.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I enjoy watching pretty much every sport. It's why I don't understand the "boring" complaints about any of it. Once you really learn and understand the nuances of the game (any game) the competition is usually fascinating.
Well, it's a common rule, almost everything is interesting if you know enough about it

Zen

May not be intentional. But it's a marvellous piece of satire.

Plugsy

Ann Coulter is hilariously dim. There are dozens of YouTube videos of her just being shown up all the time.

Momochiru

"Soccer players roll around the field all the time, the sport is so boring, it's so dumb to hit the ball with your head, etc." - I hear this typical North American complaints all the time and usually I would argue, but this article is so moronic that I wouldn't have wasted my breath...

By the way, this WC I find the way they show the replays of the fouls very good. People who don't know much about the sport usually can't spot the foul in real time and see only the rolling on the ground. However after the 3rd or 4th replay when they see the cleats in the knee or elbow in the face people start realizing that it's not as trivial as they thought and get to appreciate how tough you need to be to be a professional player.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
"If more "Americans" are watching soccer today, it's only because of the demographic switch effected by Teddy Kennedy's 1965 immigration law. I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time."

Jesus...

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Jesus Christ :lol:

Zen

The best thing about Americans on good old Football is that they use our own gifs/comedy about the game as if they made them to mock it.....football has the best self-deprecating fans. America can't handle it when you mock their shit.

Same deal with Hockey actually, they do it with that too.