g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

America's favourite national pastime: Hating soccer

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
I have yet to see a sport that is truly boring once you understand the rules. I also yet have to find a game that is as simple to pick up as football. All you need is 2 guys and a ball and you're already having fun.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
American films and books frequently refer to grown men playing 'checkers', which I think is some sort of draughts.

Girl's games, kid's games, it's just the way they are.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
I have yet to see a sport that is truly boring once you understand the rules. I also yet have to find a game that is as simple to pick up as football. All you need is 2 guys and a ball and you're already having fun.
I have a slightly different take. I've yet to see a sport where I haven't been thoroughly impressed with the top athletes of those sports. Amazing what the human body can do with training. Even when I dislike a sport like American football I can see past it and be in awe of a player's abilities.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
I'm trying to think of other top sports played in the UK and elsewhere that could be classed as athletic on Zii's athletic scale. Football, Rugby... Anything else?

Moriarty

I'm trying to think of other top sports played in the UK and elsewhere that could be classed as athletic on Zii's athletic scale. Football, Rugby... Anything else?
Field Hockey?
I assume that you know that the name "Soccer" was coined in England by English association football players, right? It is only used here to differentiate between football (Soccer) and American football (NFL). I hope you don't think all Americans are like you described, otherwise you are just as closed-minded as you think they are. I'm American, and I love football. I rarely watch NFL, I never watch basketball, and I can't stand baseball. I don't watch hockey, but I use to play in an amateur league when I was younger.
I've got a copy of Matt Busby's book "Soccer at the Top." If the name's good enough for him...

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It is. They don't play with their gymslips tucked into their navy blue knickers. I often used to wonder, as a young boy, why old men enjoyed watching the girls playing netball in the playground and not the lads playing footer.
:lol:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Draughts and checkers are different. For one, you can't "eat" backwards in checkers.
I've always thought "checkers" was just the US name for it. There are different kinds of draughts, though - or different kinds of checkers, if you will.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Another thing is that the yanks didn't come up with the term "soccer" as far as I know. It's short for "association football", that is, the sort of football played under FA rules - as opposed to the kind they played at Rugby. It goes back to the mid 19th century and the debate over whether you should be able to handle the ball or not. There was a schism - and two different set of rules came out of it, which evolved into the two sports we know as football and rugby today. Just sayin'.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I personally don't know how, if someone claims to like sport of any kind, can claim to not like football.

It's like the wankers you get over here who watch Rugby and act like they are some kind of sporting elite and take what ever chance they can to slag football off.

You never get people saying that about rugby or rugby players they say at the latest football scandal.

No you are right, because nobody fecking cares about rugby.

Nanook

Coaching and training is different. Not the same as culture and traditions, so that makes more sense.

But, as I said, 20 years. It's not like we just discovered soccer yesterday.

And I'll add, the "history" and "traditions" of little league, junior high school, high school and regional all go out the window the minute a new coach is brought in. There's just not a lot of there there to have it weigh so heavily.

The reason Americans are good at sports is because we have a competitive and militaristic society. You're not going to find many places on Earth where more is spent on sport than the US. At the end of the day, that's what wins.
If the US is going to be challenging in 20 years there needs to be 4-8 year olds right now in America who will need to be as good as their Brazilian, Germany, Italian and Spanish counterparts, do you think that is going to be the case? The reason America is good at sports is that you are a first world country with over 300 million people, your talent pool is many times bigger than most countries. The US is improving but I don't see them seriously challenging for a WC in as little as 20 years time.

AlwaysRedwood

If the US is going to be challenging in 20 years there needs to be 4-8 year olds right now in America who will need to be as good as their Brazilian, Germany, Italian and Spanish counterparts, do you think that is going to be the case?
Yes. What I am seeing now with young kids is completely different than what I have seen over my previous 46 years. A lot of flair, a lot of skill.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I'm watching the ESPN after-game show and the yank bloke is summing up the highlights with RVN and Roberto Martinez but he keeps breaking into excited commentary like it's all happening live. It's really weird.

Zii

18 "quoted", it's a shame I won't be reading them, NFL is 95% ad breaks and its awful.

Update, now 22.

Last edited:

Nucky10

Football is the most watched,supported sport in the world.. Baseball,american football will never be popular outside US as football.. Who cares what the yanks think about it..

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Having lived in the US for two years I have come to these conclusions:

Almost everyone knows the EPL. MLS is growing fast - higher attendances than NFL and NBA. Soccer is second most played sport. Massive increase in interest of 18-29 year olds. Hispanic community are 17% of population and fast growing - it is number 1 amongst this group.
Are you sure you have lived in the US? The NFL averages over 60k per game per team. MLS is around the 20k figure. Perhaps you meant NHL. Which makes sense considering most NBA/NHL arenas do not exceed 20k in capacity.

MLS is gaining ground but it's the European leagues and clubs that are making the sport popular.

Nucky10

Well, the nfl may have a team in London sooner than you think so that may change.
And? Still mate a long way for american football to be popular as real football.. One team in London doesn't change that..

AlwaysRedwood

And? Still mate a long way for american football to be popular as real football.. One team in London doesn't change that..
Maybe you should present real football with a cake or some sort of medal for being more popular.