Ancelotti to make history this season?

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
There is a reason he has 5 league titles in 17 seasons. The CL is a knockout competition and many things go into winning it.
A lot of things go into winning all competitions.

In his first season at Real Madrid, Ancelotti finished third in the league with 87 points. That was the same amount of points as 2nd placed Barcelona and three points less than Atletico, so one win difference in 38 matches. Meanwhile Real Madrid defeated Atletico 4-1 in the CL final and Barcelona 2-1 in the Copa del Rey final. One single game was the difference between a historic treble and someone saying he lucked out into a 3rd CL title somehow.

MrEleson

In his first season at Real Madrid, Ancelotti finished third in the league with 87 points. That was the same amount of points as 2nd placed Barcelona and three points less than Atletico, so one win difference in 38 matches. Meanwhile Real Madrid defeated Atletico 4-1 in the CL final and Barcelona 2-1 in the Copa del Rey final. One single game was the difference between a historic treble and someone saying he lucked out into a 3rd CL title somehow.
I remember Madrid were flying in the league for most of that season too and were unfortunate at the end due to injuries to many key players at the business end of the season.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I still don't quite understand how he was so underwhelming for us when he took over from Pep. Maybe the difference in philosophies was just too big for the players to adapt from one to the other within a season or two.
At times it also felt like Carlo wasn't really motivated for the Bayern job. I guess many recall the rumors like Bayern players setting up private training sessions to make up the perceived lack of intensity, and Carlo's assistant smoking on the job.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
In Ancelotti's second season at Real, didn't they win 22 consecutive matches in all competitions?

The competition in La Liga was insanely strong around that period. In that specific season (2014/2015), there was treble winning Barca team, a very strong Atleti team that were knocked out by Real in the CL and Barca in the Copa del Rey, a resurgent Valencia, Sevilla who won their 2nd of 3 consecutive Europa Leagues, a reliably good Villarreal etc. And of course La Liga clubs had an insanely good record in European competitions against teams from other leagues during that time (often they were only getting knocked out by fellow La Liga teams).

I agree with earlier comments that the biggest 'weakness' on his CV if one exists, is 'only' winning 1 Serie A title during his time at Juve and Milan (10 complete seasons). But still he shouldn't really care about that. A hugely successful and trophy laden playing career, followed by a hugely successful, trophy laden and historic managerial career.

phelans shorts

Ancelloti is an elite coach. Saying otherwise is being really salty. I think just because the likes of Zidane, him, Ferguson didn't had a defined playing style, people tend to think they are tactically inapt, which is really stupid.
It is ridiculous. If anything it shows them to be better tacticians due to their ability to adapt

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Ancelloti is an elite coach. Saying otherwise is being really salty. I think just because the likes of Zidane, him, Ferguson didn't had a defined playing style, people tend to think they are tactically inapt, which is really stupid.
His league record will always be an elephant in the room, especially in Serie A.

Between Juve and Bayern he had the type of jobs where if Pep had he'd have won double the league titles and people would have been "meh that's minimum requirement with those squads and resources".

He joked about it himself but he actually does get hired and fired for the same reason, his relaxed nature. Sometimes a group of players really need it but it was always have a short shelf life as (as we spectacularly saw at Bayern) eventually thay leads to relative lack of fitness (it was evident in the second season with us and there was an Everton fan complaining about the same thing last season).

Overall he's a great manager you don't win what he's has if not, but he's not without his flaws.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Calciopoli
Only occurred for 2 seasons (officially, but still), plus Milan were implicated in it as well. Ancelotti managed Juve/Milan for nearly 10 years. Even removing 2 seasons due to Calciopoli, he won only 1 title in 8 seasons. He's a great manager but I'm not sure why some are so eager to downplay his league record in Serie A with a team who's quality I was frightened of as a teenager...

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
After he leaves Madrid for the 2nd time, he should move to Portugal to win the league there with Porto; just for the heck of it.

That of the Italian NT, of course.

Pintu

Calciopoli, he won only 1 title in 8 seasons. He's a great manager but I'm not sure why some are so eager to downplay his league record in Serie A with a team who's quality I was frightened of as a teenager...
It’s more like 1 in 5 or 1/4 when you think of how Juve lost the 99/00 to Lazio. He deserved to win at least one with Juve. (Let down by Perugia rain in 00 and by VDS in 2001..)

The last 3 with Milan he couldn’t win, nobody could. After Calciopoli, he started the 06/07 season with huge handicap. He was never in a position to threaten Inter. After 2007, Moratti and Inter kept strengthening and Milan started downgrading slowly.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It’s more like 1 in 5 or 1/4 when you think of how Juve lost the 99/00 to Lazio. He deserved to win at least one with Juve. (Let down by Perugia rain in 00 and by VDS in 2001..)

The last 3 with Milan he couldn’t win, nobody could. After Calciopoli, he started the 06/07 season with huge handicap. He was never in a position to threaten Inter. After 2007, Moratti and Inter kept strengthening and Milan started downgrading slowly.
I'm still salty at how Milan got to rest their entire starting 11 the league game before the 3-0 against us, while we, running on fumes, left everything on the field at Goodison Park the weekend before...

But yes, you do bring up valid points. 1 in 4 sounds better than 1 in 8, given how strong Serie A was then

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Only occurred for 2 seasons (officially, but still), plus Milan were implicated in it as well. Ancelotti managed Juve/Milan for nearly 10 years. Even removing 2 seasons due to Calciopoli, he won only 1 title in 8 seasons. He's a great manager but I'm not sure why some are so eager to downplay his league record in Serie A with a team who's quality I was frightened of as a teenager...
Officially is the key here. Milan's implication was a minor official asking the refs to get the juve treatment...although there's zero doubt milan were aware of everything that was going on. Galliani and Moggi were basically bffs

He'd have probably won 3 in a row with milan under regular circumstances. Post-calciopoli milan didn't really have the money or the will to compete, it was just a slow decline towards mediocrity. Only inter winning the treble briefly changed that

As for juventus, finished 2nd twice with the highest 2nd place point finishes ever to that point, losing the title to the biggest spenders in europe, quite literally by losing a game of waterpolo, and then to a great Roma side that managed to have the rules changed mid-season so they could field Nakata(who was decisive in the run in, especially in the h2h in turin, where rescued a point for Roma from 2-0 down)

Xanther

Interesting, literally 3 points away from Madrid treble.

It's also weird that he has almost the same list of honours for Madrid as he did with Milan, because he always struck me as a short-term fix for Madrid. Re. his first stint there, I don't know what Perez's intentions were (whether that be a single season fix, or a long-term solution), but either way he was only there for 2 years. Now he's completed his 3rd season there, he's now won everything there is to win at Spanish club level.

You could understandably say that he is as important to Madrid's history as he was at Milan, which is rare (i.e to have more than 1 legacy in a football career). Cristiano has it at Utd and Madrid, Thiago at Bayern and maybe Liverpool if they complete the quadruple. Zidane has won everything as a player and a coach. Can't really think of anyone else