Ander Herrera to PSG? | Gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi2

Feck this guy. We lost guys like RVN and CR and we are still here. Get this fecker out of my club. Also been horrible for the past month or so. I would much rather play Scott Mctominay. Bang average basque b***ard.
Tell us how you really feel VJ1762

Dazzmondo

I don't believe for 1 second that Martial is on £250k/w. Media always report the wrong wages. It always seems to take at least a year to find out what the real wage a player's on is for whatever reason

nameischarles

I like the guy and his a great team player but we got to stop paying inflated wages on squad players.

VJ1762

Tell us how you really feel VJ1762
I am sick and tired of all these average players holding us to ransom. Sell herrera, sell matic and buy players of quality like Tanguy and barella. We are paying inconsistent players like Martial over 200k per week. And to think we were refusing to pay Roy fecking Keane's wage demands once upon a time. Herrera is like a Z-tech Keane and fans are hoping that this guy signs a new contract. Fecking infuriating. Let him go and rot in the PSG team. I hope Woodward doesn't cave in to pressure and hand this cnut a new contract.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
So the club have decided to stop being held to ransom by good players who think they're world class. Whats become increasingly obvious is that many of these players seem to think they've got the runs on the board to back up their ridiculous wage demands. There are two players in our club that should be anywhere in excess of 200k and thats Pogba and De Gea. The rest are kidding themselves. Herrera is getting offer 200k a week by PSG because he'll be in there on a free. Otherwise he'd be lucky to get 130k a week from them.

If I was Herrera, the question I'd ask myself is, what is more likely to valuable as a professional? Actual trophies of value, or my income?

On the other side of it, I feel like plans are in place to marginalise him in the not to distant future as a squad/rotational player.

I know there is this general belief amongst fans of Sport that any normal person in their position would take the highest pay cheque, but there's a difference between making 150k a year and 150k a week. If these blokes cannot live off their earnings comfortably for the rest of their lives, they have serious issues.

ZenMaster Coltrane

So the club have decided to stop being held to ransom by good players who think they're world class. Whats become increasingly obvious is that many of these players seem to think they've got the runs on the board to back up their ridiculous wage demands. There are two players in our club that should be anywhere in excess of 200k and thats Pogba and De Gea. The rest are kidding themselves. Herrera is getting offer 200k a week by PSG because he'll be in there on a free. Otherwise he'd be lucky to get 130k a week from them.

If I was Herrera, the question I'd ask myself is, what is more likely to valuable as a professional? Actual trophies of value, or my income?

On the other side of it, I feel like plans are in place to marginalise him in the not to distant future as a squad/rotational player.

I know there is this general belief amongst fans of Sport that any normal person in their position would take the highest pay cheque, but there's a difference between making 150k a year and 150k a week. If these blokes cannot live off their earnings comfortably for the rest of their lives, they have serious issues.
The thing is, there's a large swath of people online and offline who obsessively post/comment about the badge, the United Way, what it means and then relay it somehow to Keane and Scholes. Notice how it's never "What we need, is a Cantona." It's always Keane and Scholes, an idea that of a player that comfortably aligns with their identity and nostalgia fantasies. That whole run and development of players is not happening at anywhere near that success rate without Cantona. The simple truth is that you need high quality technical players to win. Quality players cost money. The numbers only matter insofar as they properly reflect the ordering of quality within the squad. I don't think Hererra is a starter for a league winning side. Not enough technical ability on the ball. If that's the objective, I'd rather give 200K to an imperious centre back and not to a guy who gives those 'he gets the club' post-match comments.

automaticflare

I don’t give a shit what anyone says but how does this fecking club let this happen but sign Phil fecking Jones to a new contract. It’s total fecking bullshit. fecking this board

Ban

I am sick and tired of all these average players holding us to ransom. Sell herrera, sell matic and buy players of quality like Tanguy and barella. We are paying inconsistent players like Martial over 200k per week. And to think we were refusing to pay Roy fecking Keane's wage demands once upon a time. Herrera is like a Z-tech Keane and fans are hoping that this guy signs a new contract. Fecking infuriating. Let him go and rot in the PSG team. I hope Woodward doesn't cave in to pressure and hand this cnut a new contract.
Tanguy who?

Ban

I bet we won't budge to his demands but when buying a player this summer we'll offer him an astronomical salary. I don't think one minute it's a new way of dealing with players.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
We have to be honest here. We will miss him next year not because of his unbelievable quality, but more with the discipline, leadership that he can have on the field.

We can easily find a better player than him for something between 150k to 200k per week.

It just shows how our club is not ran properly. Facing the prospect of losing Herrera, Mata, De Gea for contact issue, and probably Pogba to Madrid means that we may be without 4 starters (if we take the Watford game in account)

Of course the club is bigger than Herrera, De Gea or Pogba. If they want to leave, then please.

Herrera has been average over these 5 years for us. Usually begins the seasons pretty slowly and finishes well. We’ll be alright without him. I am more concerned over Pogba and De Gea replacement tbh

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I bet we won't budge to his demands but when buying a player this summer we'll offer him an astronomical salary. I don't think one minute it's a new way of dealing with players.
Even if that is the case, it'll be an upgrade of whatever Herrera offers us. Fred has shown in his limited appearances this season that he has the capacity to mach the influence of Herrera (some of his performances have been quite good if you look at them objectively). In that regard, why pay somebody 200k a week when you already have a player of equal or slightly lesser value on the bench willing to play for 120k.

Phil Jones was offered a Contract because he's a squad rotation player. He's able to play in a few positions and has often come up with some half decent performances. He's also not on 200k

Ban

Even if that is the case, it'll be an upgrade of whatever Herrera offers us. Fred has shown in his limited appearances this season that he has the capacity to mach the influence of Herrera (some of his performances have been quite good if you look at them objectively). In that regard, why pay somebody 200k a week when you already have a player of equal or slightly lesser value on the bench willing to play for 120k.

Phil Jones was offered a Contract because he's a squad rotation player. He's able to play in a few positions and has often come up with some half decent performances. He's also not on 200k
Jones is injured half a season. He should have been let go.
Upgrade or not, either we draw a line with Herrera or we'll continue to splash the cash on salaries which would be beyond daft. Jury is still out on Fred imo.

Fred hasn’t demonstrated in any way that’s he’s ready to step up and take Herrera’s place in the pecking order.

Treble

Martial 250k a week? :houllier:

Think the wage structure is about to explode with the likes of DDG, Herrera, Rashford and maybe (hopefully) Pogba to sign new contracts and also with new signings in the summer. We might become second only to Barca regarding wages but still far from competing for the big trophies. Incompetence.

Ban

Think the wage structure is about to explode with the likes of DDG, Herrera, Rashford and maybe (hopefully) Pogba to sign new contracts and also with new signings in the summer. We might become second only to Barca regarding wages but still far from competing for the big trophies. Incompetence.
We're in a tricky situation. We need to make a stand but on the other hand might lose important players cause of salaries. We need to secure CL cause with EL only thing we could offer would be big salaries and circle then just goes round and round.

finneh

I think this is the key point.

I believe even Herrera's biggest fans would accept the situation if the club were taking a stand across the board. If we were drawing a line in the sand whereby squad players were on max £80k, first team players were on £140k and our best players were on £350k.

Likewise if at the same time we decided to sell players with 2 years left on their deal if they weren't committing to a new contract and we'd offered them a good deal in line with the above.

The problem is no-one has faith that this will occur. I've no doubt Martial is on £200k plus despite being a £140k first teamer. Likewise I'd be surprised if we open up talks woth Pogba by Xmas and sell him.nexy year of he doesn't sign at £350k a week.

We've proven our gross incompetence by allowing the likes of Shaw, Herrera, Mata, De Gea, Martial and even Jones to get into the last 12-18 months of their deals which instantly gives the player far more leverage than the club. The reason for this is we didn't want to give Herrera a £40k weekly pay rise and 4+1 year contract Xmas 2017 when he had no leverage and would have happily accepted, because it would have cost us £4m extra between then and now in salary.

We're the definition of penny smart pound foolish and in truth the Herrera situation is a carry on to this. Instead of offering a 3 year deal on £120k with a £12m signing on bonus (£30m package) we'll shell out a £70m (£50m and £125k+) package to sign someone like Fred who may or may not bring what Herrera does to the team.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The Sanchez signing really feck us up. Now every player want a piece of meat, when looking at Sanchez.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Off topic, but continuing with the comparisons I think we shouldnt even offer De Gea a $400,000 a week as reported. He is, arguably, the best GK in the world he has been great for us and his best years are ahead of him. But to pay a goalkeeper $400,000? How much will Pogba ask next? $600,000? this is getting out of hand with the Alexis contract.

To put is some perpective of how much De Gea is asking:

Oblak $90,000 week
Neuer $150,000 week
Ederson $65,000 week
Allison $120,000 week
Ter Stegen $90,000 week
Navas $85,000 week
Courtouis $120,000 week
Buffon $90,000 week

De Gea is al ready at a $200,000 a week salary...I mean he is good and he is already being paid as such! he is getting double than most top top keepers, he is top class and along with Pogba our best player but to pay him $400,000 it's just dumb.
I guess the 400k De Gea asked for is before tax, and the wages you listed above are after tax? So divided by half, De Gea after tax salary would be around 200k, which is still the highest, but looks more comparable.

PieCrust

If he’s signed with PSG we need to stop playing him and see what we have with Fred and Pereira. Signs haven’t been encouraging but let’s see how they do because if they do decently and we can get by for another summer before splashing out on a significant upgrade, I rather do that than just add what’s left of our budget on someone who we’ll be saying is a good squad player one year later.
Not playing Herrera the rest of the season because he's leaving, is ridiculous. We need to be playing our with our best options in the attempt to secure top 4 and the outside chance of CL progression.

There's no reason to believe that Herrera can't be a professional and continue to give his best effort for the club. Just take a look at Ramsey as an example.

As far as him leaving, I'm ok with the club not caving yet again to ridiculous wage demands (hopefully that's a positive sign moving forward with player contracts), but frustrated that we're in this position in the first place by not re-signing him last summer and then what's turned out to be an atrocious signing in Sanchez.

JohnnyKills

Yep.

We need to get rid of Sanchez ASAP, even if it means paying him off or subsidising a loan. On those wages he's a timebomb for us.

Fracture90

Kinda sad if the reports are true that the stumbling block is £20k more that he's asking for. Considering the times Herrera was professing his love for the club and what it means to wear the red shirt, I cannot help but feel disappointed in him. He was talked as the future captain and he's an important cog in Ole's machine.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Ha, it's true though isn't it? I like Herrera but there's plenty of players could do his job and not demand 200k a week and be injured a lot.
I agree with you but I think the choice was rather between the scenario A and the scenario B:

- Scenario A: You acquire an additional great central midfielder + keep Herrera
- Scenario B: You acquire an additional great central midfielder + you need to invest 20-30 millions of euros to find the equivalent of the Spanish

As far I'm concerned, I don't care about the financial health of football clubs from an accounting standpoint. It's not my money and I am not a shareholder.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I would be annoyed if he does leave, as I don't feel like he is a player we should be looking at replacing right now. We have far to much deadwood and areas where we need to strengthen, that adding having to replace him as well would be difficult.

While it's all well and good us fans going, he can go as long as we replace him. The reality is we will likely let him go, have to buy a replacement, and as a result won't strengthen another area now. I just can't see the club spending the money in both areas no matter how much the fans know we need to.

G-manc

He's 29, picks up his share of injuries and lacks overall quality for me. He's fine if you want him to be up someone's arse on a a marking job but he's simply not good enough at anything else.

Judas

Open to offers
Its simple, you give into the demands of players who deserve it, you don't for those who don't. Once Sanchez is gotten ridden of, things can return to normalish.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Sanchez's wage has feck all to do with Herrera's renewal. PSG have offered him a higher wage which we aren't willing to match.

Ban

Its simple, you give into the demands of players who deserve it, you don't for those who don't. Once Sanchez is gotten ridden of, things can return to normalish.
Or you give contracts to players who deserve it. Oh wait

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
He's 29, picks up his share of injuries and lacks overall quality for me. He's fine if you want him to be up someone's arse on a a marking job but he's simply not good enough at anything else.
Rubbish.

Hererra is a very well-rounded central midfield player.

He can pass, tackle and do a man marking job - not to mention he plays with a real drive, energy and determination.

Why would the likes of PSG, a club who are one of the richest in the world, be interested in someone who fits your description of Herrera?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This makes no sense. The wage demands are based on the clubs revenues and what agents think is a fair share for players and in particular their own clients. They won't reduce their demands when Sanchez leaves, they will look at how much the club generates and since revenues in football are continuously increasing, wages will continuously increase.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
The problem is we have been massively overpaying our players for some time now, even the underperforming ones got improved contracts so it's natural that Herrera wants top wages, but just because we gave other player stupid wages it doesn't mean we should continue this way.

We have the third highest wage bill in europe just after Barcelona and Real Madrid, and we don't even have a top 5 squad. Comfortably teams like Juve, PSG, City, Liverpool have a better squad than us, and other debatable ones in Atletico, Chelsea, Tottenham, etc

Herrera is a fan favorite, including me, but he is not a world class player and he is asking for world class wages. He wouldn't start at Barcelona, Madrid, Juve, PSG or City and he is asking for a $200,000 a week?

Answer yourselves, if Herrera was in another team would we be highly interested in him?

We have to start paying players according to their contribution, it's sad to see how we pay so much for average players and how other teams are able to get top top talent for less.

As comparison:
  • Marcos Rojo $80,000 week earns more than Umttiti ($75,000) and Chiellini ($75,000).
  • Fred $120,000 week earns more than Casemiro ($90,000) and same as Gundogan, Pjanic and Matuidi.
  • Mata $140,000 week earns more than Isco, Bernardo Silva and Dybala (all on $120,000).
  • Young and Valencia $100,000 week earn more than Meunier ($60,000) and Cancelo ($80,000) and same as Walker, Carvajal and Jordi Alba.
  • Martial $250 week earns a lot more than Sane ($90,000), Bernardeschi ($65,000), Marco Asensio ($90,000).

If we were to sign Herrera for $200,000 he would earn more than Busquets, Vidal, Rakitic, Casemiro, Isco, Fernandinho, Sterling, Gundogan, Sane, Veratti, Pjanic, Matuidi, Dybala, and the same as Kroos and David Silva.

All people saying we should pay Herrera, must be mental.
Barca are La Liga champions, regular CL contenders and have Messi playing for them. Juve are Seria A champions, regular CL contenders and have Ronaldo in the team. Real Madrid won 3 CLs in a row, and had Ronaldo playing for them with Zidane as the manager. PSG and City feature in and aim to challenge for the CL regularly, and which have dubious additional sources of wages for players through third party spnsorships for image rights and all. All of them win silverware regularly.

When you sign players from a position of strength, you can enforce your own rules. But when you are struggling to make CL regularly, let alone compete for it and when you cannot finish in the top 4 in your own league consistently - money is your source of strength. We need Herrera more than he needs us - and so we pay him till he gets us to that position of strength. Losing him will force us to sign other midfielders on similar wages without the guarantee of performances that Herrera brings to the table.

Look at the silly signing and wages Liverpool had before they reached the CL final. Now they have VVD on 150k a week. Look at Spurs letting players who break their wage bill go, and then struggle to win silverware with the best team in ages. You cannot protect the wage structure while building a top team, you have to prune it after becoming one.

G-manc

Rubbish.

Hererra is a very well-rounded central midfield player.

He can pass, tackle and do a man marking job - not to mention he plays with a real drive, energy and determination.

Why would the likes of PSG, a club who are one of the richest in the world, be interested in someone who fits your description of Herrera?
It's just my opinion.

There's no consistency to any of our midfield 3. They have been run ragged by teams from the the lower half of the Prem on a regular basis and i've seen may more indifferent performances from Herrera than decent ones - certainly nothing that warrants a hike in his wages at his age. I'm not against keeping him, i'm just not that bothered if he goes as i think he can be replaced.

Why would PSG sign a player from a relegated Stoke side?

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
This makes no sense. The wage demands are based on the clubs revenues and what agents think is a fair share for players and in particular their own clients. They won't reduce their demands when Sanchez leaves, they will look at how much the club generates and since revenues in football are continuously increasing, wages will continuously increase.
You still have a structure though. We shattered it for Sanchez.

Falcow

We have to be honest here. We will miss him next year not because of his unbelievable quality, but more with the discipline, leadership that he can have on the field.

We can easily find a better player than him for something between 150k to 200k per week.

It just shows how our club is not ran properly. Facing the prospect of losing Herrera, Mata, De Gea for contact issue, and probably Pogba to Madrid means that we may be without 4 starters (if we take the Watford game in account)

Of course the club is bigger than Herrera, De Gea or Pogba. If they want to leave, then please.

Herrera has been average over these 5 years for us. Usually begins the seasons pretty slowly and finishes well. We’ll be alright without him. I am more concerned over Pogba and De Gea replacement tbh
Aren't you forgetting about the 50m signing on fee on top of that salary?

Status
Not open for further replies.