Ander Herrera to PSG? | Gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevil@84

• Marcos Rojo $80,000 week earns more than Umttiti ($75,000) and Chiellini ($75,000).
  • Fred $120,000 week earns more than Casemiro ($90,000) and same as Gundogan, Pjanic and Matuidi.
  • Mata $140,000 week earns more than Isco, Bernardo Silva and Dybala (all on $120,000).
  • Young and Valencia $100,000 week earn more than Meunier ($60,000) and Cancelo ($80,000) and same as Walker, Carvajal and Jordi Alba.
  • Martial $250 week earns a lot more than Sane ($90,000), Bernardeschi ($65,000), Marco Asensio ($90,000).
Although not a completely true statement, I think the key to getting a player for possibly low wages is either you are a player's dream club - RM, Barca or Bayern (at least for the Germans) or you should be looking more likely to be challenging big trophies (like City).
I am not saying City players are on low wages, just saying that there will be players willing to play there for low money because of Pep and title challenges

United maybe still a big deal for English players, but for others money will be one of the biggest factor tipping the scales in our favour.

PoTMS

What a shame. He's our second best midfielder. Need to sign two midfielders this season now.

ForestRGoinUp

The problem is we have been massively overpaying our players for some time now, even the underperforming ones got improved contracts so it's natural that Herrera wants top wages, but just because we gave other player stupid wages it doesn't mean we should continue this way.

We have the third highest wage bill in europe just after Barcelona and Real Madrid, and we don't even have a top 5 squad. Comfortably teams like Juve, PSG, City, Liverpool have a better squad than us, and other debatable ones in Atletico, Chelsea, Tottenham, etc

Herrera is a fan favorite, including me, but he is not a world class player and he is asking for world class wages. He wouldn't start at Barcelona, Madrid, Juve, PSG or City and he is asking for a $200,000 a week?

Answer yourselves, if Herrera was in another team would we be highly interested in him?

We have to start paying players according to their contribution, it's sad to see how we pay so much for average players and how other teams are able to get top top talent for less.

As comparison:
  • Marcos Rojo $80,000 week earns more than Umttiti ($75,000) and Chiellini ($75,000).
  • Fred $120,000 week earns more than Casemiro ($90,000) and same as Gundogan, Pjanic and Matuidi.
  • Mata $140,000 week earns more than Isco, Bernardo Silva and Dybala (all on $120,000).
  • Young and Valencia $100,000 week earn more than Meunier ($60,000) and Cancelo ($80,000) and same as Walker, Carvajal and Jordi Alba.
  • Martial $250 week earns a lot more than Sane ($90,000), Bernardeschi ($65,000), Marco Asensio ($90,000).

If we were to sign Herrera for $200,000 he would earn more than Busquets, Vidal, Rakitic, Casemiro, Isco, Fernandinho, Sterling, Gundogan, Sane, Veratti, Pjanic, Matuidi, Dybala, and the same as Kroos and David Silva.

All people saying we should pay Herrera, must be mental.
Bravo. Thanks for putting the time into that. It’s tougher to make that point in bits and pieces.

SAFMUTD

Although not a completely true statement, I think the key to getting a player for possibly low wages is either you are a player's dream club - RM, Barca or Bayern (at least for the Germans) or you should be looking more likely to be challenging big trophies (like City).
I am not saying City players are on low wages, just saying that there will be players willing to play there for low money because of Pep and title challenges

United maybe still a big deal for English players, but for others money will be one of the biggest factor tipping the scales in our favour.
That may be the case for a few, but let’s not fool ourselves thinking Madrid, Barca or Bayern get world class players at penny on the dollar. Sure the player would take some paycut to arrive to his dream club but no player will cut his wages in half.

The truth is we are overpaying for mediocre quality. Think about it, top 3 wages in europe and we haven’t been at UCL semifinals in how long? Haven’t even challenge for the premier league in how long?

Judas

Open to offers
I don't blame him for asking for stupid money when so many of our squad are being paid way too much for their talent, we've got so desperate in the last few years to get players in we've started offering daft wages, but it has to stop, and if it means a few players go so we can get back to normal a bit, so be it, because in the long run it's for the best.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
How is Martial already worth £250k a week and Herrera not worth £200k?

hungrywing

The problem is we have been massively overpaying our players for some time now, even the underperforming ones got improved contracts so it's natural that Herrera wants top wages, but just because we gave other player stupid wages it doesn't mean we should continue this way.

We have the third highest wage bill in europe just after Barcelona and Real Madrid, and we don't even have a top 5 squad. Comfortably teams like Juve, PSG, City, Liverpool have a better squad than us, and other debatable ones in Atletico, Chelsea, Tottenham, etc..
Wasn't there a report a few months ago saying we were top?

Yikes :eek: When you see it layed out like this..
It doesn't stop there. It's much, much, much worse when you factor in all the ramifications and how hard it is to correct them. (Erosion of club regard, contempt within footballing world etc.) There's a reason SAF tended to sell players 'for peanuts'.

Said it before and will say it again. If you had to choose between Mourinho going and Woodward going, the latter has to go first every single time.

redshaw

We have the third highest wage bill in europe just after Barcelona and Real Madrid, and we don't even have a top 5 squad. Comfortably teams like Juve, PSG, City, Liverpool have a better squad than us, and other debatable ones in Atletico, Chelsea, Tottenham, etc

Herrera is a fan favorite, including me, but he is not a world class player and he is asking for world class wages. He wouldn't start at Barcelona, Madrid, Juve, PSG or City and he is asking for a $200,000 a week?

Answer yourselves, if Herrera was in another team would we be highly interested in him?

We have to start paying players according to their contribution, it's sad to see how we pay so much for average players and how other teams are able to get top top talent for less.

As comparison:

If we were to sign Herrera for $200,000 he would earn more than Busquets, Vidal, Rakitic, Casemiro, Isco, Fernandinho, Sterling, Gundogan, Sane, Veratti, Pjanic, Matuidi, Dybala, and the same as Kroos and David Silva.

Yeah I fully agree.

I'd like him to stay but he's a ~100k a week player at best. We have to get more in line with the current rate or if not, have a squad that reflects the money spent. Ander has one or two years left of usefulness and his recent games don't fill me with much confidence while he's asking for 200k and playing like he has.

I'd expect to sign him on for another year or two at about 100-120k and if PSG want to offer him 4 years of bench warming and leg massages for 200k then take the money Ander and good luck, it sounds like an incredible retirement package.

The club messed up not sorting this out before.but i back them if this is the start of getting the wages onside. We'll have a squad on 200k minimum a week soon.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

As comparison:

These are all net salary figures. We’d sign all the best players in the world if we paid significantly more than Real Madrid.

If you want to play this game, cut all of our player’s salary in half and then we will be closer to it.

Morpheus 7

Massive f up by the club, he should not be allowed to walk away for nothing. We shouldn't be in this situation, financially made no sense. It's a another position we could have done without replacing. Herrera is looking for one big last contract. He's 29 and the chuckle brothers getting long term contracts haven't helped.

Think we need to be prepared for a bit of an exodus this summer. If Herrera isn't getting a new contract with big money doubt Mata will. The big question is will Dave sign, bit of a mess. Herrera is a fine player but he's really overrated in here. People going on about next captain and all, smart man who says the right things but I care more about performances. He's never been consistent at a high level in opinion. He's had some excellent games but rarely at a top level for a long period. Still comes back to that tool Woodward. We were always going to lose leverage on any deal as these contracts run down. It's deeply concerning how so many contracts were allowed to run down. If you are nervous about United in the upcoming window, this is definitely not going to fill you with confidence regardless of the outcome.

Hammerfell

HoneslHo me too, I love his passion and commmitmco but hesh 30 soon and signing a player who's reliant on ohysucsl attributes to a 3 year £180k-£200k P/w(!!!) contract would be crazy imo, hope ole wants to build from a younger base with lots of energy (though Herrera admittedly offers that at the moment).
Did you forget to switch accounts, @Adisa?

GledTheRed

2016-2017 season no injuries, 2017-2018 missed 1 month, this season 2 weeks in september and 2 weeks in february-march. He's not injury prone.
What about previous to that? So he misses 10% of the season injured, plus the time it takes to get back up to pace again.

Dazzmondo

Sounds official. Sad but I have to agree with the board, Herrera wasn't worth £200k/w. Realistically he was worth £120k, but maybe we could have stretched it to £150k. Anything more is crazy for a player of his ability and age. PSG seem to have just done this to spite us. Doubt he'll be a starter for them. Any ideas for a replacement? Needs to be somebody with a good engine who can press and tackle but is preferably even better on the ball and younger than Herrera.

MetoTTT

What about previous to that? So he misses 10% of the season injured, plus the time it takes to get back up to pace again.
If Herrera is injury prone for you what we have to say about Neymar who's injured 2 years in a row in the money time (2-3 monts)?

MetoTTT

Sounds official. Sad but I have to agree with the board, Herrera wasn't worth £200k/w. Realistically he was worth £120k, but maybe we could have stretched it to £150k. Anything more is crazy for a player of his ability and age. PSG seem to have just done this to spite us. Doubt he'll be a starter for them. Any ideas for a replacement? Needs to be somebody with a good engine who can press and tackle but is preferably even better on the ball and younger than Herrera.
Agreed. I really like him and he had a great attitude here. His contract should've sorted last season for reasonable wages. 200+/week is too much. I don't want us to overpay the players.

manutddjw

If he’s signed with PSG we need to stop playing him and see what we have with Fred and Pereira. Signs haven’t been encouraging but let’s see how they do because if they do decently and we can get by for another summer before splashing out on a significant upgrade, I rather do that than just add what’s left of our budget on someone who we’ll be saying is a good squad player one year later.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If it’s 200k he was asking for then him leaving is a win win which ever way you spin it. He’s a great player when he’s on beat and shows passion when needed. However he shouldn’t be paid 200k and if he’s not willing to take a pay raise that falls below his aggressive demands then does he really want to be here for United?

The other ‘win’ in this situation is that Ed seems to be setting a strong precedent after the Sanchez brain fart.

It also means he’s got some signings lined up in the summer. Only a mad man would play hard ball like Ed has here without a winning hand.

lex talionis

If we’re thinking about making a proper run at PL and CL trophies in 2-3 seasons it may actually make sense to let Ander go now and for United to build that squad.

But we would be losing a key player by letting Ander go. But I’d feel much about it if we also dumped Sanchez’s 500k/week wage bill too.

VJ1762

Excessive bad language
Feck this guy. We lost guys like RVN and CR and we are still here. Get this fecker out of my club. Also been horrible for the past month or so. I would much rather play Scott Mctominay. Bang average basque b***ard.

L1nk

It's been a massive problem at this club for far too long, offering over inflated contracts and wages to players who are either too average to deserve it, or severely under-performing, the amount of times we've given new contracts to under-performing players, like some kind of reward for being gash, is mind boggling.

An example - Phil Jones has spent half the time on the injury table or just being a calamitous oaf, he may turn out a decent performance every now and again, and we gave him a contract until 2023, why? There's just no common sense in these decisions, get rid of him.

It's like we panic, we see one player turn in around 5/10 good performances in a row and suddenly decide they need a bumper new contract and pay packet otherwise they will leave or others will come sniffing round.

In what world is Jesse Lingard worth 100k a week, guy is beyond an average squad player yet he's somehow on more than Sane and Asensio?

For a club run by bankers it sure likes to flaunt it's utterly stupid financial decisions on the pitch doesn't it. Sanchez is just the icing on the cake, all that money and he's done sod all for us, of course all of this was going to bite us back in the ass with players asking for vastly more than they are worth. Herrera has been a top performer for us when asked, and he's never moaned about his role in the squad, i'm not surprised he's asking for more.

De Gea's been our POTY for years now and you think he's just gonna watch Sanchez come in, do absolutely nothing yet still earn a shed load more than him? It's ridiculous, of course he's gonna ask for loads more.

SAFMUTD

These are all net salary figures. We’d sign all the best players in the world if we paid significantly more than Real Madrid.

If you want to play this game, cut all of our player’s salary in half and then we will be closer to it.
That's simply not true.

In England the tax is 45%, in Spain is 46%, in France is 49%, in Italy is 43%. It's pretty much the same in all the top leagues, your argument is invalid.

Last edited:

SAFMUTD

Yeah I fully agree.

I'd like him to stay but he's a ~100k a week player at best. We have to get more in line with the current rate or if not, have a squad that reflects the money spent. Ander has one or two years left of usefulness and his recent games don't fill me with much confidence while he's asking for 200k and playing like he has.

I'd expect to sign him on for another year or two at about 100-120k and if PSG want to offer him 4 years of bench warming and leg massages for 200k then take the money Ander and good luck, it sounds like an incredible retirement package.

The club messed up not sorting this out before.but i back them if this is the start of getting the wages onside. We'll have a squad on 200k minimum a week soon.
I agree, we shouldn't come to the point where we are against the wall between paying him 200k or losing him on a free. That's just pure bad planning. Contracts should be negotiated when there are 2 years left, that way if you can't get to an agreement you can sell the player and get some money from him.

Also another problem is we pay our players so much that we can't ship them out if they fail, since nobody wants to match their wages. That's the case for Darmian, and surely will be for Bailly, Rojo, Jones, Fred, Alexis...etc

Fridge chutney

I don't believe any of the public numbers for wages of Man City players, I fully expect them all to be much higher than they're reported.
Yes, even City don't deny this. Shady dealings and cooked books for sure. City and PSG financials must be taken with a grain of salt.

SAFMUTD

Off topic, but continuing with the comparisons I think we shouldnt even offer De Gea a $400,000 a week as reported. He is, arguably, the best GK in the world he has been great for us and his best years are ahead of him. But to pay a goalkeeper $400,000? How much will Pogba ask next? $600,000? this is getting out of hand with the Alexis contract.

To put is some perpective of how much De Gea is asking:

Oblak $90,000 week
Neuer $150,000 week
Ederson $65,000 week
Allison $120,000 week
Ter Stegen $90,000 week
Navas $85,000 week
Courtouis $120,000 week
Buffon $90,000 week

De Gea is al ready at a $200,000 a week salary...I mean he is good and he is already being paid as such! he is getting double than most top top keepers, he is top class and along with Pogba our best player but to pay him $400,000 it's just dumb.

deafepl

Just confirm many players of Barcelona or La Liga teams wage were reported after tax, not before. When Messi signed a new contract in 2017, Messi earns net 500k per week, so he almost earns 1 million per week before tax. UEFA reported that Barcelona paid more 100m in wage bill than us by 2017, I find it difficult that many of players at Barcelona earned less than us when they paid more 100m in bills.

Sky Report news gotten shit, they were less reliable, the same thing they said Shaw is on 200K, Rojo is on 150k. They didn't bother about before tax or after tax. That also includes Totalsportek's reports, they said Messi is on 500k and Sanchez is on 350k but somehow they paid more in players than us yet their player wage look more impressive as if they're on low?

We are supposed to double Rashford 150K+ but giving Martial 250K? Doesn't make a sense

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.