Ander Herrera to PSG? | Gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champagne Football

How do you know that?

120k would be more than our captain, more than Smalling (unless his went up to that too?), etc
Because there was little fuss over renewing his deal. If he wanted more than his current worth was, then the negotiations would have dragged on for months.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We've offered Herrera a contract that's in line with his current market worth, it's not a huge contract. PSG are offering him a huge contract and guaranteed trophies.

You're right, we aren't going to win anything of note next season, that is absolutely no surprise to anyone and anyone thinks we're in line to win a major trophy next season then they're delusional. The defence will be patched next season with Dalot replacing Young in the first team, we'll invest heavily in the midfield and front line. This is why Herrera is being allowed to leave. PSG's interest won't have been a surprise to anyone, teams generally speak to agents months before any official contract offers are made, United will have been aware of this and kept in the loop.

We'll have already identified targets or be working on replacements now. This notion that everyone just woke up yesterday is bollocks.

Our transfer policy under recent management has been signing players the manager believe's will improve the team. The only reason there's been talk of a DOF was because it turns out the managers we've appointed have been fecking shit at building squads and just think you buy the best players available that = trophies. Thing's are going to be different under Solskjær, we're more likely to sign Sancho or Zaha than we are Bale.

I could quote many but Rashford had played 0 minutes of senior football before getting his chance in the Europa league and then putting Arsenal to the sword in the PL game.

We won't be shopping in the same market as those two teams or anyone else. I think we'll look to pillage smaller PL teams as we've done historically, also look around Europe's B leagues such as Portugal, Holland etc. We shouldn't be buying for the sake of buying anymore.
So we are just going to spend years in limbo? If we uncover a gem, he will be bought by ones of the more successful teams?

crossy1686

career ending
Only annoyance is that Matic was my preffered to be replaced 1st. Looks like another season of Matic as we won't replace 2 in one window. Then there's Pogba to Real. "TURMOIL at United as club set to replace entire midfield" reads the papers tomorrow
Wouldn't be the end of the world. The amount of money Pogba would generate would allow us to buy two good up and coming CM's anyway. Probably help us to be fair.

Canagel

Only annoyance is that Matic was my preffered to be replaced 1st. Looks like another season of Matic as we won't replace 2 in one window. Then there's Pogba to Real. "TURMOIL at United as club set to replace entire midfield" reads the papers tomorrow
Our links with D Rice suggest Matic could be getting replaced.

Ekeke

Because there was little fuss over renewing his deal. If he wanted more than his current worth was, then the negotiations would have dragged on for months.
Err how do you know they didnt? And why would he ask for more if they offered him a high amount? Just reaching now

DomesticTadpole

Where did you get that from? Why would we be selling on players if we uncover them?
We sold Ronaldo. We might sell Pogba. We uncovered him first, before Juve got him, then had to pay a fortune to get him back, to then sell him again. I am worried that we are just a stopping off point.

Jim Reaper

I feel like Ole wants to buy British players where possible. He knew a United team full of homegrown players.

Sancho, Wan-Bissaka, Rice

Apart from centrebacks and some right wingers, i see us linked with alot of young british talent.

Maybe the reluctance to give Herrera what he wants is because Ole and the team have plans for the midfield that will reduce Herrera to a backup option and the club are not willing to spend what Herrera wants on backup.

Matic, Rice and Pogba is a midfield 3 i can see happening. Matic and Rice as a double pivot. Personally, i would like someone like Barella, N'Dombele or Neves instead of Matic.

I believe the issue is that the coaching team don't see Herrera as a first 11 player next year and therefore will not offer what he is asking for.

crossy1686

career ending
We sold Ronaldo. We might sell Pogba. We uncovered him first, before Juve got him, then had to pay a fortune to get him back, to then sell him again. I am worried that we are just a stopping off point.
Well only we can change that by winning trophies. Some players like Ronaldo were set on joining Madrid as a kid, nothing you can do about that. We shouldn't buy lads who grow up next door to Spain if we don't want that issue. If we buy the English lads I doubt we'll have any of those issues in the next 10 years.

VanGaalEra

Can't give Herrera 200K PW whilst trying to secure De Gea and Rashford to new contracts, as well Pogba in the future. If you give Herrera 200K, what you going to give those guys?

reddevil702

What about the season he was our player of the year?

Lets get things straight. Fred has performed in 2 matches, McTominay in 2 matches. What makes you think this makes them worthy of being in a title winning squad?

On this logic Macheda should still be playing up front for us! :D
I don't think any of the 3 are good enough to be a starter in a title winning squad. I meant more as a replacement for Herrera who I see as a squad player. Don't disagree about Fred but McTominay has proven himself more than 2 matches.

Jim Reaper

Can't give Herrera 200K PW whilst trying to secure De Gea and Rashford to new contracts, as well Pogba in the future. If you give Herrera 200K, what you going to give those guys?
This is something people forget. Moaning about the Sanchez deal and then asking the club to offer Herrera 200k would be silly. We should learn from our mistakes and offer guarenteed first 11 players that are important to the team big deals and as much as i like him, Herrera is not that guy.

DomesticTadpole

This is something people forget. Moaning about the Sanchez deal and then asking the club to offer Herrera 200k would be silly. We should learn from our mistakes and offer guarenteed first 11 players that are important to the team big deals and as much as i like him, Herrera is not that guy.
Maybe not, but we are still stuck with Sanchez stinking the place out on that wage. What will be interesting is what wages any new signing now demand.

crossy1686

career ending
Rice, Sancho, Ndombele/Rabiot, Koulibaly. Will be decent summer work.
As I've said in other threads, I don't think we'll be going big on a defender this year. I suspect us to be forward heavy come August as fans will forgive not winning a trophy as long as we're scoring goals and looking incisive. We'll all consider it to be progress under Solskjær and that's the best political approach to the transfer window we've got.

Web of Bissaka

Is it confirm he's really leaving?

Assuming yes.
Oh well, he's one of my most fav from the current squad, but I just don't see a big loss with him gone. Time for Fred, Pereira and McT to step-up. Ole should only use him in big games from now on till he's off. McTominic vs small teams perhaps. Let's see who's joining this summer.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Is it confirm he's really leaving?

Assuming yes.
Oh well, he's one of my most fav from the current squad, but I just don't see a big loss with him gone. Time for Fred, Pereira and McT to step-up. Ole should only use him in big games from now on till he's off. McTominic vs small teams perhaps. Let's see who's joining this summer.
No. Right now we're going off Duncan Castles, nobody else has stated it. He's probably just jumping the gun to sound high and mighty if it actually happens.

I suspect this is a move by the agent to squeeze a few extra quid out of us, many people close to him have said he's very happy here.

I agree we have to draw the line somewhere, I like Herrera but he's not worth 200k, better options are available so he's not irreplaceable.

Jim Reaper

Do not want Rabiot but this is the perfect summer imo.

Rice, Sancho, N'Dombele/Neves/Barella, Koulibaly/De Ligt.

Wan Bissaka as a bonus buy.

Canagel

As I've said in other threads, I don't think we'll be going big on a defender this year. I suspect us to be forward heavy come August as fans will forgive not winning a trophy as long as we're scoring goals and looking incisive. We'll all consider it to be progress under Solskjær and that's the best political approach to the transfer window we've got.
After Jones, Smalling contracts you might be correct but one world class CB will be a big deal for us. Varane could also be moving and I expect Ed won't be letting that go without a fight. If it is the top heavy approach then I would rather get CHO or someone in the false 9 instead of Zaha.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
If the reports are true (IF), and Herrera won’t stay for 170k p/w, then it’s time to cut our losses and move on. He’s been a decent player for us, with the odd magnificent performance; but we should be able to easily move on. Great character by all accounts, but that’s not really enough, is it?

Canagel

If the reports weren't true he would've come on social media by now and rubbished it. Like Martial did some time last year.

Certainly off.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
If the reports weren't true he would've come on social media by now and rubbished it. Like Martial did some time last year.

Certainly off.
Not if he’s still negotiating with United. If he says he’s staying on social media then it reduces his bargaining power with United.

Snafu17

That's easily over 250 million and we'd still be starting a 34 year old Ashley Young in a significant amount of games.

Devil may care

We've offered Herrera a contract that's in line with his current market worth, it's not a huge contract. PSG are offering him a huge contract and guaranteed trophies.

You're right, we aren't going to win anything of note next season, that is absolutely no surprise to anyone and anyone thinks we're in line to win a major trophy next season then they're delusional. The defence will be patched next season with Dalot replacing Young in the first team, we'll invest heavily in the midfield and front line. This is why Herrera is being allowed to leave. PSG's interest won't have been a surprise to anyone, teams generally speak to agents months before any official contract offers are made, United will have been aware of this and kept in the loop.

We'll have already identified targets or be working on replacements now. This notion that everyone just woke up yesterday is bollocks.

Our transfer policy under recent management has been signing players the manager believe's will improve the team. The only reason there's been talk of a DOF was because it turns out the managers we've appointed have been fecking shit at building squads and just think you buy the best players available that = trophies. Thing's are going to be different under Solskjær, we're more likely to sign Sancho or Zaha than we are Bale.

I could quote many but Rashford had played 0 minutes of senior football before getting his chance in the Europa league and then putting Arsenal to the sword in the PL game.

We won't be shopping in the same market as those two teams or anyone else. I think we'll look to pillage smaller PL teams as we've done historically, also look around Europe's B leagues such as Portugal, Holland etc. We shouldn't be buying for the sake of buying anymore.
We've offered Herrera 170k a week according to reports, that's a lot of money, that's "We want you to stay money", that isn't us just letting him go so we can buy some junk from Holland or Portugal. This idea that Ole would have any better idea how to build a squad than Mourinho or van Gaal is bizarre as well since he's never done anything as a manager yet. That is why we need an experienced DOF to help a very inexperienced managfer out.

All of this return to Fergieworld stuff is nonsense IMO, He was a one off from a different time, he saw where the game was going and got out at the right time, you want to be the best, then you buy the best, Liverpool spent a fortune on CB and Goalkeeper to fix their weak spots and are now on course for the PL title, they didn't bargin bin their way into contention.

We aren't guarenteed to make top 4 this season, which is the minimum expectancy, if we do what you are suggesting then we wont make it again next season, Ole isn't Fergie, he needs top level investment if we want him to even start building a comfortable top 4 side. As for Rashford, there is a huge difference when it comes to forwards, young players in forward positions come through a lot quicker, holding midfield is a position for experienced players if you are a top side, a club like United can't have a 18 year old kid as the holding midfielder. If we go into next season without buying a RB, DM and Forward of proven quality we'll be scrambling for 4th again.

Last edited:

finneh

A real shame if true. That's what happens when you moronically let players go into the last 18-24 months of their contracts, the leverage shifts from the club to the player.

You then end up in a no-win scenario. To replace him it would take a Fred kind of fee and wages over the next 4 years (c. £70m), a situation you may end up with a better version of Herrera and may end up with a worse version for this kind of money. The other option is to offer him £40m in wages over the next 4 years. The former option is far more expensive and has greater risks but also potentially greater rewards. The latter situation you're committing to paying someone twice the salary than a 50% salary increase compared with the salary they deserve which has far greater ramifications when other similar players are coming up to renewal.

In this situation the logical solution in my view is to offer a large sign on fee, since we'd be paying a transfer fee otherwise. This would have to be done alongside a changed policy of selling all players with under 24 months left on their contracts if they don't commit to a new deal (otherwise you'd be encouraging players to run down their deal). This is a logical policy regardless.

For example a 3 year deal with a £12m sign on fee along with £120k weekly salary would I'm sure be a win for all parties. We spend £12m outright instead of the £50m we'd normally have to spend and Herrera earns £120k a week which is in line with his squad contribution (total amount paid £30m instead of the c.£70m).

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I am not fussed if he leaves, his skillset is quite limited but we are so so shit in midfield he is our 2nd best midfielder. My only worry is finding an adequate replacement, Pereira/McTominay aren't the answer.

Also, for once I agree with boards decision. £140k a week is nothing to sniff at given his age. Not that it makes their decision to give Phil Jones £120k a week or Shaw £160k a week contract. They are two separate things but board is right on this one.

MancunianBIue

Supports
Manchester Ciy
Think of PSG a minute, they missed out on De Jong and their response was Ander Herrera.

Could be worse.

He's a very limited player you'll find an upgrade.

ovoxo

I find it odd Duncan Castles has reported it before anyone else. I’d have thought some of the French journalists would have reported something by now too.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
If this is true well I don't see what we can do. He's not worth the money he reportedly wants. As soon as the club can, they will bin Sanchez. In the meantime, we need to stop with the high wages unless we're getting consistent great performances from those players.

I like him even if he's a bit of a politician when he talks about us - always saying what he knows the fans want to hear:D

I would prefer he stayed to give us much needed depth in midfield, but we should be looking to upgrade on him and Matic anyway. Matic especially!

buckooo1978

if PSG are under pressure for FFP etc why would they be offering huge wages to Herrera?

just a thought

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
if PSG are under pressure for FFP etc why would they be offering huge wages to Herrera?

just a thought
I thought the got some decision or the other in their favour?

Unless they're messing with poor Ander and as soon as he says yes, they change their minds:lol:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Will be dissapointing to see him leave on a free. He was fecked about by Van Gaal for a long time too, when it was obvious he offered more than players like Fellaini in midfield.

With so many players running down contracts or going into their last years, possibly points to a potential takeover?. Custis, Mitten, Castles and Romain Molina have said there's something going on behind the scenes too in recent weeks and months.

Status
Not open for further replies.