André Onana | Officially a Red! | #24

Varane around town

Tranformative signing.

Having a pro-actice "keeper who loves leaving his box is obviously not something we're used to.

spiriticon

I dunno about his keeping style but I am totally for his dress style. Cargo shorts ftw.

Better than Shaw's oversized denim pyjamas.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Whether Onana is the correct replacement or not is another story, but De Gea had to be replaced.
Yep, clear as day.

As for whether he's the right man, gut feeling says yes: he strikes me as a United player.

But my gut feeling is hardly infallible.

justsomebloke

Is he even bad at shot stopping? I checked his fbref profile and didn't find it bad. He had couple of average ones (last season at Ajax) but overall it looks decent,

CompetitionPSxG-xAPercentileSave %
2022-23CL
0.58​
94​
80.70%​
2022-23Serie A
-0.11​
42​
73.50%​
2021-22Dutch League
-0.25​
16​
44.40%​
2021-22CL
0.55​
96​
75.00%​
2020-21CL
85​
85​
78.60%​
2020-21Dutch League
0.21​
89​
80.00%​
2019-20CL
0.83​
99​
86.70%​
2019-20Dutch League
0.23​
85​
73.60%​
2018-19CL
0.43​
88​
77.40%​
2018-19Dutch League
0.02​
77​
74.30%​
A little bit worrying though that it's been much worse the past two seasons than it was before that.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
A little bit worrying though that it's been much worse the past two seasons than it was before that.
Not really. That bad season at Ajax was only a handful matches after his suspension mostly because he was being booed for not signing a new contract. He took that lack of confidence with him to Inter but has greatly avenged himself last season and that form is close or even better than his Ajax 18/19 form.

justsomebloke

Not really. That bad season at Ajax was only a handful matches after his suspension mostly because he was being booed for not signing a new contract. He took that lack of confidence with him to Inter but has greatly avenged himself last season and that form is close or even better than his Ajax 18/19 form.
He's 42 percentile in his Inter season though (ie, below average)?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Is he even bad at shot stopping? I checked his fbref profile and didn't find it bad. He had couple of average ones (last season at Ajax) but overall it looks decent,

CompetitionPSxG-xAPercentileSave %
2022-23CL
0.58​
94​
80.70%​
2022-23Serie A
-0.11​
42​
73.50%​
2021-22Dutch League
-0.25​
16​
44.40%​
2021-22CL
0.55​
96​
75.00%​
2020-21CL
85​
85​
78.60%​
2020-21Dutch League
0.21​
89​
80.00%​
2019-20CL
0.83​
99​
86.70%​
2019-20Dutch League
0.23​
85​
73.60%​
2018-19CL
0.43​
88​
77.40%​
2018-19Dutch League
0.02​
77​
74.30%​
Save% in all but one of those seasons is better than DDG last season (when he was supposed to he back to his best)

Last edited:

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Save% in every one of those seasons is better than DDG last season (when he was supposed to he back to his best)
He didn't even start at Inter as first keeper so I would not read to much into it. His most recent season and his best two seasons at Ajax before the suspension tells me all I need to know.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Didn't he have the best xG save percentage in the Champions League last season? He was literally the best shot stopper in the best competition. I'm not sure where the myth of him being a weak shot stopper comes from.

Captmfla

Onana is basically De Gea but with better dribbling and passing ability.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's 42 percentile in his Inter season though (ie, below average)?
The hope is that most of him being below average was in the earlier part of the season, when he'd barely played for about 18 months. If that is the case and he improved as the season wore on, then that period (along with his games when he first returned for Ajax) would be expected to be a bit of an exception.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Can he play tomorrow?

Not sure what the deal is with work permits all that

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Can he play tomorrow?

Not sure what the deal is with work permits all that
I'd be very surprised if he plays. He's been flying all over the globe for a couple of days and probably hasn't trained one minute with the team yet.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'd be very surprised if he plays. He's been flying all over the globe for a couple of days and probably hasn't trained one minute with the team yet.
Ye me too but I was more wondering if all the paperwork is in place yet

Kaos

I mean most the first team squad are lacking in match fitness anyway, so I don't think a bit of rustiness would be an issue. Its what preseasons for anyway.

Loon

:lol:
Richard Keys already digging him out. Calling it a big gamble by Ten Hag (he seems to have an issue with the man) and he'll miss the saves De Gea would have made.

JagUTD

Really really hope he does well but also worried about the blooper reel he will amass.

Just don't let this be a post Schmeichel debacle.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I mean most the first team squad are lacking in match fitness anyway, so I don't think a bit of rustiness would be an issue. Its what preseasons for anyway.
Match fitness yes. But at least they've trained together for a week now, on top of the past seasons. It's important for our team to get to know Onana and how to play with him, but as I said I'd be very surprised if he plays tomorrow.

evil_geko

Why are so many worried about some future bloopers he might make, can't you enjoy present and not worry constantly? I am looking forward to Andre's shenanigans on the field, who cares if makes some mistakes. The lad is a character, that's for sure!

Raven

Can't wait to see this lad play for us, absolutely delighted we got him.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
I'm honestly not sure if this is a footballsupporters thing or typically CAF but praise and excitement dominated this topic, the ink of his signature isn't fully dry yet or anxiety and moaning seem to kick in.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm honestly not sure if this is a footballsupporters thing or typically CAF but praise and excitement dominated this topic, the ink of his signature isn't fully dry yet or anxiety and moaning seem to kick in.
PTSD from years of mediocrity.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
What's he like when it comes to taking crosses and just generally commanding his area? That's the thing that Van da Sar excelled at and something De Gea never really improved upon.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
As an Ajax fan what are your thoughts? Are we going to love him or hate him?

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
As an Ajax fan what are your thoughts? Are we going to love him or hate him?
Overall he was no doubt my favorite GK since VDS. Yes, he can raise your heartbeat in a bad way on occasions but as I have said before, if an opponent's forward managed to beat our defenders my main feeling was always: "Good job, now good luck getting it passed Onana." That much confidence I had in his GK abilities.

Also he is a fun guy. When we scored and everyone else was across the pitch, Andre would celebrate the goal with the fans ever so often.

Berbasbullet

Overall he was no doubt my favorite GK since VDS. Yes, he can raise your heartbeat in a bad way on occasions but as I have said before, if an opponent's forward managed to beat our defenders my main feeling was always: "Good job, now good luck getting it passed Onana." That much confidence I had in his GK abilities.

Also he is a fun guy. When we scored and everyone else was across the pitch, Andre would celebrate the goal with the fans ever so often.
That's excellent to be fair, have to say shot stopping is my worry about him but sure he'll be great.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
That's excellent to be fair, have to say shot stopping is my worry about him but sure he'll be great.
I honestly am a little amazed by that. Not just you but I saw so many people worry about that. I've seen him making saves in 18/19 and 19/20 most people already considered a goal. My main concern would be crosses. He's good with them but this time he has to do it in a league where the average player seems longer than in all other leagues. He might need some to to adjust to that.

Berbasbullet

I honestly am a little amazed by that. Not just you but I saw so many people worry about that. I've seen him making saves in 18/19 and 19/20 most people already considered a goal. My main concern would be crosses. He's good with them but this time he has to do it in a league where the average player seems longer than in all other leagues. He might need some to to adjust to that.
You have alleviated my concerns! Thank you. :D

colombianmancunian

Nobody is expecting him to reach De Gea's peak level of shot-stopping. He was literally one of the best ever in that regard, probably the best I've seen in the roughly 27 years I've been watching the sport. Onana's pure shot-stopping will not reach that level, it's not even debatable.

But De Gea himself hasn't been remotely close to that level for five years now (bar a brief period in the first half of 21/22). All decent keepers make the occasional amazing save, but the best will do it more often and also won't concede many that they shouldn't. That doesn't describe De Gea anymore.

I'm not saying Onana will definitely be as good or better at shot-stopping as current De Gea, but it's also not a definite that he won't be. We just have to watch to find out, and compare how he goes with the De Gea of the last five years. Unfortunately what is very obvious is that a lot of people are going to pretend that De Gea is still at (or at least close to) his 2012-18 level and compare Onana to that version. 'De Gea would have saved that' is going to be said a lot over the next year or two by people who ignore that current De Gea also wouldn't have saved it. Obviously there is a chance that Onana will be a fairly big drop even from current De Gea but I'd say that's more unlikely than him being roughly the same level.
I agree with you. People are talking as if DDG was still at his shot stopping prime (2012-2018) which is a level he isn’t anymore.

Onana is actually a better shot stopper than current DDG, and that’s one of the reasons why I like this transfer of him over someone like Raya who is objectively a worst shot stopper than even current DDG.

People will compara Onana’s shot stopping to prime DDG, but that player doesn’t exist anymore.

Last edited:

RedCurry

We are always looking for the “absolute perfection” otherwise some fans will always have “doubts”. Perfection doesn’t exist and we have to find the best possible player for us right now and he is by far the best we could’ve gotten. We improve in all departments as a result of a proactive keeper. When fans see how we are suddenly 20 yards higher up the pitch and opposition 20 yards further back, we will start to understand the importance of a keeper like him hopefully.

Stadjer

Onana his shot stopping might not be prime de Gea or Courtois levels but now people are overreacting as if he jumps away from the ball instead of stopping it. He might not be in the 0.1% of shot stoppers but he is still very capable of keeping the ball out of the net.