André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Excited about this signing! Gonna be great to see a keeper who’s comfortable with the ball at his feet and not hoof it every time without a clear aim.

BorisManUtd

We have had 9 African players play for United (Fortune, Djemba Djemba, Manucho, Diouf, Zaha, Bailly, Ighalo, Amad, Hanibal). It's not a small number but you can't say any of them had a significant career at United. Hopefully Amad and Onana will.

Trex

We have had 9 African players play for United (Fortune, Djemba Djemba, Manucho, Diouf, Zaha, Bailly, Ighalo, Amad, Hanibal). It's not a small number but you can't say any of them had a significant career at United. Hopefully Amad and Onana will.
Yeah over hear in Nigeria. During Fergie prime years he was accused by haters of not fancying African footballers. We're yet to have one who truly made it big time. Liverpool: Salah, Mane. City: Yaya Troure, Mahrez. Chelsea: Drogba, Essein. Arsenal: Song, Adebayour.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Amad hasn’t been given a chance to be fair, zaha rarely got a chance aswell because of the manager we had. Diouf was meant to be an up and coming player weren’t he.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Such an important signing because of what it represents off the pitch. Long time since we have been this ruthless with underperforming players. Maguire relegated to 5th choice, AWB dropped then put back in the team and now De Gea basically released.
Finally we have some proper standards back

Chief123

Although I know we’ll probably have some scary bat shit crazy moments, it’s probably the most I’ve been excited about signing a goalkeeper. I can see him massively transforming our build up and chance creation situations.

scream

Yeah over hear in Nigeria. During Fergie prime years he was accused by haters of not fancying African footballers. We're yet to have one who truly made it big time. Liverpool: Salah, Mane. City: Yaya Troure, Mahrez. Chelsea: Drogba, Essein. Arsenal: Song, Adebayour.
I seem to recall he mentioned something about losing players to the ACN as his reason.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What are the criteria to be african?

NLunited

Of course it's a gamble. Any transfer is. But using the gambling analogy, I'd say the odds are very strongly in the favour of Onana being a significant improvement. It's not a guarantee, but if we wait until it's a 100% certainty the club would never make a transfer.
He is pretty much perfect for the way we want to play. Of course you never know how any given player is going to perform, especially in a different league for a top team, but this is a preferred target, not a punt.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Looks like De Gea’s United career started and finished with a mare against City at Wembley.

BorisManUtd

Yeah other top clubs have had at least 1-2 African players that were brilliant for them. Hopefully we will, too. We also don't sign German or Italian players much either which is interesting.
Amad hasn’t been given a chance to be fair, zaha rarely got a chance aswell because of the manager we had. Diouf was meant to be an up and coming player weren’t he.
True for Zaha but it is what it is. He's solid player but the fact he's 30 and still at Palace shows he never really reached that next level like we believed he would.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
I have only watched him play a couple times but watching a few videos on YouTube, yes I know, he looks as though he struggles to catch the ball. A lot of great saves but deflections back in the box.

prateik

Does this signing mean Maguire's lack of pace becomes less of a liability ?
2 signings in 1..

Trex

2 signings in 1..
I don't think Maguire needs pace to catch a seat on the bench. Its not like anyone is taking that spot from him.

JPRouve

Scout
2 signings in 1..
No. I would be extremely cautious with someone like Maguire with a goalkeeper that is willing to pass the ball in high risk-high reward areas. Unless Maguire learns how to receive the ball while moving or develop his agility, Onana is more likely to expose than help him.

tomaldinho1

I feel like Quinton had a good career with us to be fair.

2 signings in 1..
It would somewhat alleviate it because the space in behind is less vast. Maguire has more issues to his game than just being ponderous sadly.

JPRouve

Scout
Being an African as in international for one of African NTs. Not counting European players with African roots etc.
So you are talking about African internationals. Otherwise Evra is born and bred in Senegal.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I feel like Quinton had a good career with us to be fair.
Yeah, beat me to this one. A good player who didn't get as many games as he might because it was United's peak years. He would have been first choice at most clubs, and for us in some eras. Til injuries mounted anyway, not surprisinglly given his aggressive style of play.

BarstoolProphet

Diouf wasn't really that good even in the Norwegian league. Weird signing.

NLunited

The argument goes like this: Onana is a superior distributor of the ball, which in turn will lead to vastly superior finishing on the opponent's goal. Martial and Sancho will go from shite to outstanding. Antony wasn't exactly shite last season, but with a new keeper Antony will develop a right foot. And with those three on fire, we will be at least in the conversation for a proper PL title challenge. If this is valid reasoning, then it's a no-brainer to get rid of De Gea and bring in Onana. (Fukking spell check...it's not Obama!)
Something like that.

Truthfully, he will help our build up play a lot which will boost chance creation. It is not going to turn us into title contenders: for that we need a top striker and better performances from Antony/Sancho. Assuming Rashford will keep his form and Mount will do great.

LordSpud

Just watched a video of some highlights on YT. I can't lie, Dave in goal gives me panic attacks all the time, but the shit this guy is doing is going to make me even worse :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.