André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
If only it was as simple, DDG may not want to go to Italy.

Same with the Hojlund thing and people saying if too much just get Vlahovic... These players have to want to move aswell you know.
that's the thing making me laugh at PSG - saying they'll sell Mbappe to the highest bidder as if he's a piece of furniture and has no say in the matter

The Urban Goose

Gonna have a heart attack watching him week in week out.
That looks fantastic to me. Ok, there's the odd feck up but mostly he's calm, composed and finds an outlet. And after years of DDG's decline leading to him being possibly the worst GK in the prem, and this being an almost taboo subject, I can't fecking wait for Onana to come in.

The Urban Goose

That said, the way the club have allowed De Gea's departure to be such a damp squib is an absolute disgrace. He deserves much better.
He's earned £375k/week for the last five seasons when he wasn't worth anything close to that. He can cry into his bank balance.

Djemba-Djemba

He'll feck up at some point , of course he will.

But having a keeper that can actually pass the ball and is willing to come off his line when needed will be such a fecking massive improvement.

It's undeniably the right decision

Gonna have a heart attack watching him week in week out.
He'll make a big mistake early on because he will underestimate the pace of the league and the media will go for his throat, but he will have the confidence to keep going and turn out to be a cracking keeper. Most modern top level footballers have the ability but the mentality is the difference.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
That looks fantastic to me. Ok, there's the odd feck up but mostly he's calm, composed and finds an outlet. And after years of DDG's decline leading to him being possibly the worst GK in the prem, and this being an almost taboo subject, I can't fecking wait for Onana to come in.
He'll make a big mistake early on because he will underestimate the pace of the league and the media will go for his throat, but he will have the confidence to keep going and turn out to be a cracking keeper. Most modern top level footballers have the ability but the mentality is the difference.
Regardless on the outcome, that type of goalkeeping will still give me a lot of squeezy bum time as I'm not used to it. I think United has never had a keeper who would purposely bait players to go after him right in front of the goal. Back in my days we called them a grave mistake, back in my days GK keeping the ball out of goal = good, even better if he keeps it as far as away possible. But people seem to think it's what we've been missing and is the way forward... so what do I know. Maybe it works like the internet, you bait people in to clicking your ads -> great success.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Ye but when DDG was 27 he was the best shot stopper in the world. He’s decline as he’s aged. If Onana has bad shot stopping at his age now then that’s a problem.
Keepers of De Gea's type always tend to age badly as they rely so heavily on pure reflexes and athleticism (even at his best plenty of people tipped that we'd have to replace him in his early 30's), but that isn't what seemed to happen with him. It wasn't just age that caused De Gea to decline. He had a huge and sudden decline overnight, presumably due to his confidence and belief in himself being destroyed due to his mistakes under pressure in the 2018 World Cup. Then he was never able to get over that.

Onana having a more all-round skillset should also see him age better regardless.

AndySmith1990

It's interesting that anyone feels the need to point out he'll make a mistake at some point. I mean every person on the planet makes a mistake at their job at some point. It's a given

All you really want is someone who is able to maintain a high level of performance and be mentally strong enough to quickly forget about any mistakes made. I.e if Onana had the mentality of Martial or Sancho we'd be heading for disaster. But he looks to be the complete opposite. He's going to be transformational for Ten Hag

Chairman Steve

He'll feck up at some point , of course he will.

But having a keeper that can actually pass the ball and is willing to come off his line when needed will be such a fecking massive improvement.

It's undeniably the right decision
Agreed. Every player on the pitch fecks up at some point. It’s amplified for keepers because they’re seen as the last line of defence and usually the automatic fall guy for conceding.

DDG has annoyed me over the years when he doesn’t come off his line to collect a dangerous cross to alleviate pressure, when other keepers rush to claim it and maybe launch a counter attack like Alisson does. How many times a season have you seen him launch the ball to Salah only to score over the years?

Onana is probably going to make mistakes we’ve seen Alisson and Ederson do, and they do make laughable mistakes from time to time despite being the best goalkeepers in the league. It’s normalised now though since sweeper keepers are now in fashion. I remember about 4 years ago both of them were seen as questionable by most pundits.

arthurka

DDG has been fecking up left right and centre for years now by being glued to his line and never ever being brave so Onana will be welcome to do his stuff here. Looking forward to this.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
People are saying there are gonna be howlers…of course there are gonna be howlers! He’s a human being, does Alisson, Ederson, Neuer etc not make howlers? De Gea made distribution howlers on a weekly basis.

Onana absolutely will be a net positive to us next season, and massively so, unlike De Gea.
Few keepers make more blunders than DDG in recent seasons.

Glorio

Haha, can't be worse?!

What insane hyperbole
Honestly the disrespect for DDG is mind boggling. Yes his weaknesses are coming off his line, and being a good passer, but he has insane reflexes and is still one of the best shot stoppers around. Interesting how people seem to have forgotten how many times he kept us in games we had no idea being in.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

This upgrade is going to be huge. Brace yourselves.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Honestly the disrespect for DDG is mind boggling. Yes his weaknesses are coming off his line, and being a good passer, but he has insane reflexes and is still one of the best shot stoppers around. Interesting how people seem to have forgotten how many times he kept us in games we had no idea being in.
He statistically is no where near one of the best shot stoppers around, you are making this up.

OmarUnited4ever

Hopefully this and Hojlund deals get done soon before pre-season.

My only concern is not offloading players like Maguire, Bailly, Tellesz VdB and co and get some cash for them so we can make more moves in the market.

Regardless on the outcome, that type of goalkeeping will still give me a lot of squeezy bum time as I'm not used to it. I think United has never had a keeper who would purposely bait players to go after him right in front of the goal. Back in my days we called them a grave mistake, back in my days GK keeping the ball out of goal = good, even better if he keeps it as far as away possible. But people seem to think it's what we've been missing and is the way forward... so what do I know. Maybe it works like the internet, you bait people in to clicking your ads -> great success.
I don't know about that. You'll find compilation videos of any keeper, even these two donkeys:

Both of them were considered unorthodox and risky, especially Neuer. They're also considered ahead of their time and probably two of the top three keepers to ever play the game.

The point is the best keepers do things differently and the benefits of that outweigh the drawbacks. Onana so far has been exactly that.

This hasn’t been true since 2018 statistically.

Djemba-Djemba

He really doesn't have insane reflexes anymore.

He's not been one of the best shot stoppers around for years. Yes, he can still make a great save now and then but they're increasingly rare now. The stats show that. Plus almost all keepers occasionally make good saves.

From 2013-2018 his reflexes were amazing and they did make up for his weaknesses, but that was a long time ago.

He's a liability now. Look at the last few weeks of the season, he was terrible.

Womp

idiot
I don't think Onana is any less a shot stopper than current De Gea tbh, whilst being astronomically better in other aspects of modern day goalkeeping. I am very excited about this transfer as the GK is one of the most important positions in football now, having someone as composed on the ball as Onana will allow us to play higher up, will make us a much harder team to press and will help us retain possession. Great signing.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Found this during my research. Seems like he’s a smart guy who won’t need to communicate using emojis

”Onana demonstrated natural academic talent and fluency in five languages: Wolof, French, Dutch, German, and English. Among his academic subjects, he particularly enjoyed mathematics, as it allowed him to apply logical thinking and problem-solving skills.”

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
QUOTE="Glorio, post: 30774059, member: 119784"]
[/QUOTE]

https//youtu.be/dhKZVbGi2lg

Look, I'm excited for Onana but people are talking about De Gea like he's Karius or Lloris FFS. The people talking like Onana will transform the entire team and there be zero downsides are just peddling hyperbolic nonsense.

Above is some of DDG saves in a "crap season" where he was below par. There are several world class saves in there that a lot of other keepers don't make. Leicester, West Ham etc.

Yes, he's not as good as he was but people are talking about him like he's 45 and can't dive anymore.

Kostov

How is Onana's other GK aspects aside from shot stopping and passing? Command and organization of the box, cross collecting among other things?

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
He had a few, he had a couple of games in a row where he bizarrely palmed the ball down into the oncoming attacker, against Portsmouth and Roma first leg (the 2-1 defeat).

He also was at fault for 3 goals in 3 UCL finals, Lampard’s goal where he slipped in the build up, Eto’o where he was beaten at his front post and you can pick the faults from the Pedro or Messi goals in the third final. Not massive clangers but poor goalkeeping
Even the 2 goals against Kaka, Henry header against Arsenal, all he was extremely rooted to his position.
VDS was a good sweeper and commander of the box, who also found a very good defence of Rio and Vidic in front of him.

Glorio

He statistically is no where near one of the best shot stoppers around, you are making this up.
This hasn’t been true since 2018 statistically.
He really doesn't have insane reflexes anymore.

He's not been one of the best shot stoppers around for years. Yes, he can still make a great save now and then but they're increasingly rare now. The stats show that. Plus almost all keepers occasionally make good saves.

From 2013-2018 his reflexes were amazing and they did make up for his weaknesses, but that was a long time ago.

He's a liability now. Look at the last few weeks of the season, he was terrible.
Fair play - was going by the eye test, which from what I'm hearing was obviously flawed!

I tend to only watch United games, and he's made a few big saves through the season, and even if he's also let in few near post goals that I wouldn't have expected him to, I always regarded him as one of the safer keepers about. I've always felt that despite his obvious weaknesses as a modern keeper, he stands up well one-on-one, closes shooting angles really well, saves low balls well with his feet, almost always palms the ball out of harms way, in addition to having good reflexes anyway.

Again, that was all based on the eye test, and only watching United games mostly, so colour me surprised that the stats don't stack up.

cyberman

He had a few, he had a couple of games in a row where he bizarrely palmed the ball down into the oncoming attacker, against Portsmouth and Roma first leg (the 2-1 defeat).

He also was at fault for 3 goals in 3 UCL finals, Lampard’s goal where he slipped in the build up, Eto’o where he was beaten at his front post and you can pick the faults from the Pedro or Messi goals in the third final. Not massive clangers but poor goalkeeping
Messi at Wembley was as bad as any David mistake. It’s like he was diving for a penalty and tried to guess where Messi was putting it. Ended up being wrong footed and the ball basically going past him closer to the middle of the goal than the post

MadDogg

He's not though.

Being able to make the occasional brilliant save (which he still does more than the average keeper albeit nowhere near as often as he used to) doesn't make you one of the best shot-stoppers around if it's paired with you also making more errors and letting in soft goals than the average keeper. A brilliant shot-stopper is someone that makes a good amount of the former while making very few of the latter, and that just isn't De Gea anymore.

MadDogg

Yeah you keep looking at paper and I'll keep looking at the live action in games.
This is the mistake that I see a lot of people make.

Two different groups of people are watching the games with their own eyes and coming up with two different sets of opinions. It just so happens that all the stats which cut through any kind of bias and simply look at facts (not always 100% accurate, but become more and more accurate the longer the period the stats look at) happen to agree with one of those sets of opinions and disagree with the other. Surely you understand that that makes it increasingly likely that the opinion which the stats agree with is closer to the truth?

How is Onana's other GK aspects aside from shot stopping and passing? Command and organization of the box, cross collecting among other things?
Good. He's aggressive and confident. He's better than De Gea in every area other than shot stopping, but De Gea hasn't been great at that for a long time now.

His main drawback is he is outspoken and clashes with people, but Ten Hag knows him well and should be able to manage that.

Laurencio

DDG has been fecking up left right and centre for years now by being glued to his line and never ever being brave so Onana will be welcome to do his stuff here. Looking forward to this.
I really like Onana, and I was miffed when we didn't challenge Inter for him on a free - seemed like a no brainer for both Poch and EtH, but I do worry that he will take time to adapt to the PL - as most goalkeepers do. David is arguably the third best goalkeeper we've had, behind Edwin and Peter, that is a lot for Onana to live up to. The issues we had with that positon from Peter's time to Edwin is still fresh in my mind - it could be a bumpy ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.