André Villas-Boas...

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Did he take another job after Spurs? Think he might've been at a Chinese club but can't remember him managing another european club.

Was sacked from Spurs in December 2013 so that's quite a long time to be away from top level european football and all the changes that take place.
Before China was at Zenit.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Before China was at Zenit.
Ah yeah forgot that. He'd do well at a club like Real Betis imo. Below elite but club with talented players who he could mould into his high pressing system.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Ah yeah forgot that. He'd do well at a club like Real Betis imo. Below elite but club with talented players who he could mould into his high pressing system.
The high press he will find at Marseille is from their supporters.

Member 93275

How do we judge such a great man, such a boss in life. We stand in his shadow. Starts talking to Sir Bobby Robson at age 16 because they live in the same building, ends up working for him, is promoted through the ranks, wins the Europa League with Porto, works for top clubs in the PL, has exotic adventures in Russia and China while becoming a multi-millionaire, all while never having played professional football. Then decides to start a fecking motorsport career and participates in the Dakar rally. Still only 41. I hope the Marseille job will not sidetrack him from his plans to become an actor, an astronaut and the president of the world.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
How do we judge such a great man, such a boss in life. We stand in his shadow. Starts talking to Sir Bobby Robson at age 16 because they live in the same building, ends up working for him, is promoted through the ranks, wins the Europa League with Porto, works for top clubs in the PL, has exotic adventures in Russia and China while becoming a multi-millionaire, all while never having played professional football. Then decides to start a fecking motorsport career and participates in the Dakar rally. Still only 41. I hope the Marseille job will not sidetrack him from his plans to become an actor, an astronaut and the president of the world.
Well he certainly ain’t stupid.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
On a serious note, I think the rumours are going to confirm on a 2 year contract with them.

izec

I find him exceeding difficult to warm to
I dont. I think he is a really good manager and liked him instantly. You could see what he wanted to implement.

He also does whatever the feck he wants in life and is quite successful.

Von Mistelroum

Never liked him and he was so over hyped too. I think what tipped me towards really disliking him though, was Sky's commentators trying to accent his name and calling him biyash bowash...can't even remember who it was now but it was the whole way through one game and by the end I hated him...

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I dont. I think he is a really good manager and liked him instantly. You could see what he wanted to implement.

He also does whatever the feck he wants in life and is quite successful.
I get the feeling by some people and @broccoli can explain better than me because he is a Porto fan, but imo he is that kind of guy who doesn’t have a “normal “ link with football. Simply put, doesn’t need football to survive. He comes more or less from good family background.

Add to that he has that certain playboy good looking type with money on the pocket it’s the perfect reason to be disliked by some.

Must be said he worked with Mourinho but they are totally different, personality or football view, he started as a teenager doing scouting reports for Bobby Robson at Porto.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
I get the feeling by some people and @broccoli can explain better than me because he is a Porto fan, but imo he is that kind of guy who doesn’t have a “normal “ link with football. Simply put, doesn’t need football to survive. He comes more or less from good family background.

Add to that he has that certain playboy good looking type with money on the pocket it’s the perfect reason to be disliked by some.

Must be said he worked with Mourinho but they are totally different, personality or football view, he started as a teenager doing scouting reports for Bobby Robson at Porto.
Yes AVB has a strong charisma and his 'high birth' frees his atitude of pettyness and small things, in which the press feeds to survive. Some people are plain jealous too but the reality is that he failed as a manager once he left Porto. It is said that Vítor Pereira was the one pulling the tactical strings. Both are compliment each other but that Porto team had one of the strongest squads i can remember.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Yes AVB has a strong charisma and his 'high birth' frees his atitude of pettyness and small things, in which the press feeds to survive. Some people are plain jealous too but the reality is that he failed as a manager once he left Porto. It is said that Vítor Pereira was the one pulling the tactical strings. Both are compliment each other but that Porto team had one of the strongest squads i can remember.
Excluding the right back position, it was one of the best squads ever at the Portuguese league. Guarin, Alvaro Pereira, Hulk, James, Falcao, Fucile, Otamendi, Fernando, Moutinho,...

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
He was poor in England.

Was 5th with Chelsea when sacked and about to crash out of the Champions League until Di Matteo fluked it. This was a Chelsea who had finished in top 2 every season since Abramovich had come in barring one season when they were 3rd and that too cost their manager his job.

Goes to Spurs who had finished 4th under Redknapp, partly because he was bad at Chelsea then finishes 5th and is 7th the following year when they sack him.

He made both teams he manged worse.
Lacks context...Spurs lost Modric, Van Der Vaart and King that summer of 2012 which is probably the reason when they went backwards.

Wasn't a fan of him as a manager him not getting Moutinho that summer kinda killed him and his plan going forward.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yep that squad was outrageous for the portuguese context. It’s true without Vítor Pereira his career didn’t had the same impact.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Villas-Boas: “Tuchel told me: 'you should play the lottery' I replied: 'you played the lottery before Atalanta?' but I have a lot of respect for him. "

:lol:

Mamadur

Man United also played the lottery before PSG game last year :lol:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Really good coach no doubt about it. Still very young as well.

Pep's Suit

Has great career and even better life. Plus seems like an intelligent guy, even if arrogant but you have to be in that environment, I guess.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Amazing amount of experience wracked up at 42 years old. Feels like he was Chelsea manager decades ago.

Could still make it at the very top ultimately if keeps learning?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Going to be awkward coming in to your first day to train.

OoopsMisclick

Honestly, I respect AVB for handing in his resignation.
Reminds me Biesla.

This is business in the end. There is no romance and if you got a bit of money, you don't need to stay.
People resign all the time if they don't agree with upper management. Good to see this in football as well.
I just wouldn't have done it in a public press conference...

Reactions: Cheimoon

RUCK4444

Do they have a director of football?

If not then why the feck would you sign a player you know your newly appointed manager doesn’t want? Bit bizarre really.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Wonder what Ntcham must be thinking!
Must be awful for the lad. I don't think he's a bad player really? I assume it's more a point of principle for the manager and hopefully he will tell Ntcham that himself.

romufc

Honestly, I respect AVB for handing in his resignation.
Reminds me Biesla.

This is business in the end. There is no romance and if you got a bit of money, you don't need to stay.
People resign all the time if they don't agree with upper management. Good to see this in football as well.
I just wouldn't have done it in a public press conference...
Agreed. I respect the decision. Not many managers do this.

Acole9

Outstanding
Not great for the lad who has signed. Must not do much for his confidence.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
On one hand I like AVB standing up for what he believes but did he really have to embarrass the guy in a press conference.

lambnchips

Supports
Tottenham
People can criticise AVB for his words but nobody could possibly defend the club in this. A team cannot be managed from a board room and AVB is right to want to walk away.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Whiny little cnut. At least he resigned and wants no money(allegedly)