André Villas-Boas...

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
I still like him. Seemed a decent bloke too. The treatment he got was poor from the press. And the Chelsea players. Who knew they could be a bunch of cnuts, hey?

His uncle took part in a previous Dakar really didn't he? Interesting career choice but with the money he earned in China, he can afford to do it comfortably.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I remember he's been wanting to do this for a while. Good for him.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He's a better manager than people give him credit, he just needs a strong assistant to help him with the leadership, which is his weak link imho.
Did a good 1st season at Tottenham before players throw him under the bus :D

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He's a better manager than people give him credit, he just needs a strong assistant to help him with the leadership, which is his weak link imho.
Did a good 1st season at Tottenham before players throw him under the bus :D
Wouldn't mind to see him coaching the Portuguese NT instead Santos, but the strong assistant is related to Vitinho :lol:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Wouldn't mind to see him coaching the Portuguese NT instead Santos, but the strong assistant is related to Vitinho :lol:
We don't have enough quality at the back to play possession based football with a high defensive line nowadays. Maybe in a few years.

Rane

Always liked him, he wears his heart on his sleeve and isn’t afraid to show his emotions, sometimes to his detriment. He did great with Porto at such a young age. Chelsea was always the wrong move for him. Nurtured Bale’s best ever season performance wise and was unfortunate to miss out on the top four.

He’s a good coach and fair play to him for trying something he’s always wanted to do.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
Waste of talented coach. Never expected him to be coaching in Russia and China before retiring at 40 when he was breaking records at FC Porto.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Waste of talented coach. Never expected him to be coaching in Russia and China before retiring at 40 when he was breaking records at FC Porto.
I don't think he has retired but i remember some interview with him saying he would retire early because he had other objectives in life.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Looks like he's trying to become the Marseille manager. Glad to see him back in the game and in Europe if so. Always liked him and thought the British media treated him unfairly.

Villas Boas has started to work on the project but for the moment no concrete negotiations between OM and Villas-Boas before the meeting with the OM president. This beginning of the week promises to be decisive.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Looks like he's trying to become the Marseille manager. Glad to see him back in the game and in Europe if so. Always liked him and thought the British media treated him unfairly.

Villas Boas has started to work on the project but for the moment no concrete negotiations between OM and Villas-Boas before the meeting with the OM president. This beginning of the week promises to be decisive.
He was given a very hard time in Britain with no real reasoning. At Chelsea he was tasked with changing the old guard and evolving our style of play into something more modern. He tried to play a high defensive line and tried to push out the older players and they all turned against him.

At spurs he did a decent enough job for me. From memory he had possibly their highest ever win rate for a manager or the best start to a season they’d had and got fired.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He was given a very hard time in Britain with no real reasoning. At Chelsea he was tasked with changing the old guard and evolving our style of play into something more modern. He tried to play a high defensive line and tried to push out the older players and they all turned against him.

At spurs he did a decent enough job for me. From memory he had possibly their highest ever win rate for a manager or the best start to a season they’d had and got fired.
At Spurs he made a good job IMHO. Then they had a serious injury crisis where he had to adapt players to the center and left back position and things went downhill.

He is a very good manager, but he needs a very strong assistant to complement his leadership. At Porto he had Vítor Pereira (who now is a manager) that is also a fan of possession football, but has more charisma and has a stronger personality in order to keep the discipline.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I recall the Gillette Soccer Saturday panel laughing at the fact he writes notes during a game and calling it silly. Despite the fact every manager does this.

Really weird how the press/pundits took to him so negatively

Oldyella

I recall the Gillette Soccer Saturday panel laughing at the fact he writes notes during a game and calling it silly. Despite the fact every manager does this.

The old boys club on soccer Saturday are the fecking worst.

Chipper

Adulterer.
He was poor in England.

Was 5th with Chelsea when sacked and about to crash out of the Champions League until Di Matteo fluked it. This was a Chelsea who had finished in top 2 every season since Abramovich had come in barring one season when they were 3rd and that too cost their manager his job.

Goes to Spurs who had finished 4th under Redknapp, partly because he was bad at Chelsea then finishes 5th and is 7th the following year when they sack him.

He made both teams he manged worse.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
He was poor in England.

Was 5th with Chelsea when sacked and about to crash out of the Champions League until Di Matteo fluked it. This was a Chelsea who had finished in top 2 every season since Abramovich had come in barring one season when they were 3rd and that too cost their manager his job.

Goes to Spurs who had finished 4th under Redknapp, partly because he was bad at Chelsea then finishes 5th and is 7th the following year when they sack him.

Getting sacked at Chelsea is hardly a sign of failure and it goes back before Abramovich.
Ken Bates sacked Rudd Gullit when we 2nd in the league, and that was after winning us our first major trophy in over 20 years the season before.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

In Europe as Ligue 1 only because OM aren't taking part of any European competition next season

Chipper

Adulterer.
Getting sacked at Chelsea is hardly a sign of failure and it goes back before Abramovich.
Ken Bates sacked Rudd Gullit when we 2nd in the league, and that was after winning us our first major trophy in over 20 years the season before.
It's true that being sacked by Chelsea doesn't make you a faliure. You're ruthless, everyone is aware of the revolving door, and you have fired a few people here and there where it looked harsh to me.

AVB wasn't one of them, he had the least successful tenure of any of the mangers you've gone through.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
*ponders*
What could possibly be the link between AVB's plan to phase out the older Chelsea players and the ridicule he received from press, pundits and former players?

It's a bleedin' mystery...

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
He talks like he ate a plate of razorblades for lunch

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He was poor in England.

And being poor in England means what? Not working more?Anyway Marseille is a tough mission. For anyone who works there.

Chipper

Adulterer.
And being poor in England means what? Not working more?Anyway Marseille is a tough mission. For anyone who works there.
Being poor in England means that I disagree with the people who were saying he was treated unfairly by the British media which was the general theme of the conversation when I posted.

Nothing to do with any other jobs he had or will have.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Being poor in England means that I disagree with the people who were saying he was treated unfairly by the British media which was the general theme of the conversation when I posted.

Nothing to do with any other jobs he had or will have.
No problem. 90% of the managers fail during their career.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
They questioned his mental health, and their comments were often borderline xenophobic.

Chipper

Adulterer.
They questioned his mental health, and their comments were often borderline xenophobic.
I don't remember that specifically and I'm not about to doubt you.

Would still disagree that he was given a very hard time for no real reason as was said because his results weren't very good, but that would overstep the mark when it comes to what is acceptable and what isn't by a long way.

Whiskey Red

Supports
Liverpool
Didn't realise he is still only 41, seems like he has been around forever. Guess his challenge will be to get champions league qualification. Are they massively behind those above?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Very talented coach. His biggest mistake was leaving Porto so soon, had he stayed there he would have got much much better. Still young and has a long career ahead. I am happy he is back if this is true.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool

'Just a Laptop Manager' is what they called him If I remember, despite him not actually ever using one in the dugout.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Didn't realise he is still only 41, seems like he has been around forever. Guess his challenge will be to get champions league qualification. Are they massively behind those above?
Squad wise, they were top 3 this season, but they are going to sell some players due to failing UCL qualification.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Very talented coach. His biggest mistake was leaving Porto so soon, had he stayed there he would have got much much better. Still young and has a long career ahead. I am happy he is back if this is true.
Vítor Pereira was his key staff, since he keeps discipline in the squad. Without Vitor Pereira he lost his "right arm".

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Never took to him, we were team Bale under him and he really couldn’t handle the pressure of the PL. his brand of football was tedious and incredibly pragmatic, I was glad when he went TBH. He constantly allowed the media to bully him Andy instead of laughing it off he took it all too seriously and the y just got worse with him.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
He might have succeeded at Chelsea, if he'd held his nerve a got his way in moving on certain players.
For his style of play to have worked it needed a back four with the pace of the likes of an Ashley Cole and William Gallas, and no place for JT. Chelsea were never going to move Terry on, so AVB's plans were pretty much screwed.

I remember the hone game against Arsenal, which we lost 3-5. A wild game in which we looked brilliant going forward, but at the back you literally could have driven a fleet of buses through the non existent defence.
I wonder how far AVB could have taken us, had he got the defensive players he would have needed.

redshaw

Never took to him, we were team Bale under him and he really couldn’t handle the pressure of the PL. his brand of football was tedious and incredibly pragmatic, I was glad when he went TBH. He constantly allowed the media to bully him Andy instead of laughing it off he took it all too seriously and the y just got worse with him.
Good eye for a player though? He brought in Eriksen, Vertonghen, Lloris. Also brought Kevin De Bruyne, Cahill and Courtois to Chelsea unless some of these in part club signings.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Did he take another job after Spurs? Think he might've been at a Chinese club but can't remember him managing another european club.

Was sacked from Spurs in December 2013 so that's quite a long time to be away from top level european football and all the changes that take place.