Andy Mitten: The players aren't responding to the manager

roseguy64

Not heard Mitten and Anka as angry and as pointed at a manager as they are on the latest Talk of the Devils podcast.

I think it is a bit of a litmus test for how the manager has lost so much credibility with even the most measured and reasonable journalists.
Yeah I think they were just emotional because we lost to City and the manner of the loss.

Speako

There's no indication Maddison would of been any good here either. Based on so many previous purchases that went backwards here.
I’d have taken Maddison over Mount every day of the week, with plenty left over to find a midfielder. It was a nonsensical move and it’s proving so.

justsomebloke

I’d have taken Maddison over Mount every day of the week, with plenty left over to find a midfielder. It was a nonsensical move and it’s proving so.
Obviously, and on the whole. Maddison though is a pretty clear-cut no 10 - he'd need to be played in the same position that Bruno currently occupies. I don't think that was the idea with Mount.

flappyjay

Conjecture, the club said it didn't want to pay the money required for a world class striker, this is well documented (before we signed Mount or Onana)
You do realise that targets are discussed before the window is opened. Onana and Mount might have not been signed yet but the club knew the manager wanted a new keeper, a midfielder along with a striker. If our only target was a striker that's where the money would have went.

Beckham77

Talk of the Devils with Andy & co was a good listen this week. Slowly become my favourite United pod since No Question About That was ruined by that clown, Daniel Harris with his hard man swearing and tryhard accents such as Ten Haccccch, De Chhhhhea & Van Hchaaaaaal.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You do realise that targets are discussed before the window is opened. Onana and Mount might have not been signed yet but the club knew the manager wanted a new keeper, a midfielder along with a striker. If our only target was a striker that's where the money would have went.
Yes that's why they offered DDG a new contact without the managers sign off

EireRed_GS

'Leopards dont change their spots"

Anyone that doesnt want to work and would rather feel sorry for themselves, get them out. dont care who they are

crossy1686

career ending
'Leopards dont change their spots"

Anyone that doesnt want to work and would rather feel sorry for themselves, get them out. dont care who they are
I don't think it's fair to suggest the players are toxic. They absolutely were previously but it seems anyone that was a toxic dickhead has been shown the door. We get far less briefings now, there's less talk of how bad things are behind the scenes and no one's sitting down for anonymous interviews with journalists to complain about the management and suggest Lingard should be starting games.

If anything the current group aren't that likeable, but they're not dickheads, some of them are just shit and have over stayed their welcome, which isn't their fault.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The Mount signing was such a typical Man Utd move.
I would have gone for Maddison as well. We also needed a striker, the club probably thought Rashford would recreate his form from last season. I think last season was more a anomaly than the normal for Rashford. Instead we overpaid for potential in Hojlund and are expecting him to be Haaland straight away. The kid needed somebody to learn from, if he is taking advice from Rashford he has problems as Rashford has a lot to learn as well. Bruno I think needs to be in the middle and no captaincy as I think he needs to concentrtate on his game.

alexanderplatz

No hindsight - and Mount can be a good player - but I remember watching Maddison when Leicester visited Fulham last season and being impressed that he fought for everything even when most of the team couldn’t be bothered and were walking into relegation. Maddison, Barnes and Vardy were the only ones that stood up and I think that’s quite an admirable trait to have as a player. We need as many players with the right mentality at the club

EireRed_GS

I don't think it's fair to suggest the players are toxic. They absolutely were previously but it seems anyone that was a toxic dickhead has been shown the door. We get far less briefings now, there's less talk of how bad things are behind the scenes and no one's sitting down for anonymous interviews with journalists to complain about the management and suggest Lingard should be starting games.

If anything the current group aren't that likeable, but they're not dickheads, some of them are just shit and have over stayed their welcome, which isn't their fault.
Im sorry but theres plenty to suggest theres still a fair bit of toxicity within the dressing room. And there was absolutely more than one toxic dickhead.. Id say there was/is a whole group of them. Entitled spoilt players..

At the end of the day.. The leaks are still coming after every bad result. The body language on the pitch from some of them is shocking. Even if its not a player but more their agent or family member, theyre still bitching to them about things.

I think its clear with some of them, if theyre not getting an easy ride, they are happy to sit back and hope the manager goes before they do.

As i said before. i couldnt care if they are a fringe player or the main star. get them out. Not one has earned the place right now to have a concrete place in the team

Cassidy

They have done that many times before.
Exactly the point. They have also done many things before. The point is clearly the manager didn't want DDG and wanted a new no1 and the club was not originally on the same page.

Hughie77

Conjecture, the club said it didn't want to pay the money required for a world class striker, this is well documented (before we signed Mount or Onana)
Is it? Everything is Conjecture unless you or me are in on transfer ? I'm not don't know about you. Imo Mount and Onana were not needed.

Cassidy

Is it? Everything is Conjecture unless you or me are in on transfer ? I'm not don't know about you. Imo Mount and Onana were not needed.
I agree on Mount.
Everything isn't conjecture when its been reported in multiple outlets

Hughie77

I agree on Mount.
Everything isn't conjecture when its been reported in multiple outlets
So was the Greenwood situation and that went the other way, so the point is what? The press gets it wrong or right whatever they think..
Imo They did not buy a Striker because Greenwood was staying then changed there mind Money gone . You don't buy a Keeper then CM before a striker which was top priority that wasn't Conjecture that's Fact..

Cassidy

So was the Greenwood situation and that went the other way, so the point is what? The press gets it wrong or right whatever they think..
Imo They did not buy a Striker because Greenwood was staying then changed there mind Money gone . You don't buy a Keeper then CM before a striker which was top priority that wasn't Conjecture that's Fact..
They quite obviously didn't get it wrong, United change their mind due to the media backlash

Grande

It's not the fact that he's not deeming Antony good enough to start, nearly every fan would agree with that. It's that Antony is his biggest signing, how can your biggest signing not start the biggest game of the season, and what that says, that's the problem here.
There are two very obvious reasons: 1.)Antony has just returned from a month in Brazil sweating over court decisions, there is no reason to expect him to be at his normal level, whatever you deem it to be. And 2.) When we last beat Man City, same year, same ground, we did so by playing Bruno in that position, not Antony.

Hughie77

They quite obviously didn't get it wrong, United change their mind due to the media backlash
They changed there mind and that was big mistake as it should have been sorted as soon as transfer window opened.. instead waited waited.. no balls to go with there original outcome .. this is on the CEO. Who has now left a gaping hole in the Striker department which could have been sorted. Ultimately it should cost him his job and could well cost ETH his as well.. we will have to see.. either way its a basket case the way it was resolved.

Cassidy

They changed there mind and that was big mistake as it should have been sorted as soon as transfer window opened.. instead waited waited.. no balls to go with there original outcome .. this is on the CEO. Who has now left a gaping hole in the Striker department which could have been sorted. Ultimately it should cost him his job and could well cost ETH his as well.. we will have to see.. either way its a basket case the way it was resolved.
Agree

Bo_devil

Obviously, and on the whole. Maddison though is a pretty clear-cut no 10 - he'd need to be played in the same position that Bruno currently occupies. I don't think that was the idea with Mount.
Before he signed for Spurs, we were linked with him in the summer and most were turning their noses up, saying he's just another Cleverly. Its funny how quickly opinions change.

Glorio

Before he signed for Spurs, we were linked with him in the summer and most were turning their noses up, saying he's just another Cleverly. Its funny how quickly opinions change.
Wasn't Mount the one folks were referring to Cleverly?

Speako

exactly, hence the need for another mid. Although of course, at the moment Bruno is actually playing wide right :houllier: :lol:

didz

I don't think that's really true. Maddison had great games playing off either wing at Leicester, regularly played as a midfielder in a 433, and is currently playing very well as a free 8 at Spurs.

To me, it feels like Mount was preferred because he's better against the ball. Unfortunately, our biggest issues are actually on the fecking ball!

Shady

I listened to that pod too. But I would take it with a pinch of salt. These 'Athletic' experts are everywhere and psycho analyzing everything minute detail.
Maybe so, but not Mitten. He is always spot on with his United sources and a real fan that won't make up stuff for the sake of clicks.

yardieUnited

I would have picked maddison too but that midfield would still be leaking.
Think Mount will come good

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Mitten has clear sources and is a great United supporter of course. However he really has become a gloom merchant. And I honestly don't care for Carl Ankas analysis after his constant flip flops on opinion during Mourinho and Oles tenure. I've listened to him since before he was the United correspondent and was doing his work for Southampton.

He just goes wherever the wind blows on results.

Irwin99

People will say it's not the same squad as past managers but there are a fair few players that are in their fifth season at the club now and I wonder if there's a kind of bad culture that just infects any incoming players from transfers or youth set ups. From supposed media leaks it seems Jose and EtH are/were too strict, Ole was too soft or had favorites, Ralf was too aloof etc.

gaffs

Mitten has clear sources and is a great United supporter of course. However he really has become a gloom merchant. And I honestly don't care for Carl Ankas analysis after his constant flip flops on opinion during Mourinho and Oles tenure. I've listened to him since before he was the United correspondent and was doing his work for Southampton.

He just goes wherever the wind blows on results.
The fan/journalist is a strange dynamic.

Both, im sure, are desperate for United to do well, but they can't sugarcoat it. The performances have been dross.

gaffs

Im sorry but theres plenty to suggest theres still a fair bit of toxicity within the dressing room. And there was absolutely more than one toxic dickhead.. Id say there was/is a whole group of them. Entitled spoilt players..

At the end of the day.. The leaks are still coming after every bad result. The body language on the pitch from some of them is shocking. Even if its not a player but more their agent or family member, theyre still bitching to them about things.

I think its clear with some of them, if theyre not getting an easy ride, they are happy to sit back and hope the manager goes before they do.

As i said before. i couldnt care if they are a fringe player or the main star. get them out. Not one has earned the place right now to have a concrete place in the team
Another body language expert.

When you look at some of the tactics that this manager is employing, is it any wonder the "body language" is lacking?

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
If Mount were at Spurs, he'd still be doing well in that side. And if Maddison were here - he'd be injured and underperforming and we'd be bashing EtH for wasting funds in Bruno's best position.

At some point, our fans must accept that individual players or a new manager isn't the answer. Great player after great player have joined us and gone to shit, same goes for the caliber of the managers.

There is something rotten in the state of our club, and it rhymes with Frazier.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The fan/journalist is a strange dynamic.

Both, im sure, are desperate for United to do well, but they can't sugarcoat it. The performances have been dross.
They've been dross but saying we were only good for the opening 6 minutes isn't accurate, it's exaggerative. As is a tongue in cheek comment about city having 115% possession.

He also seems very open join in on mockery of Ten Hag way earlier and more so than Ole, which I find quite astounding.

gaffs

They've been dross but saying we were only good for the opening 6 minutes isn't accurate, it's exaggerative. As is a tongue in cheek comment about city having 115% possession.

He also seems very open join in on mockery of Ten Hag way earlier and more so than Ole, which I find quite astounding.
Don't be thin so skinned. We got absolutely bossed. The 115% comment was quite funny.

If you can't laugh, you will cry.