g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Andy Mitten: The players aren't responding to the manager

AFC NimbleThumb

If it's true we should try and introduce warm milk drinks and a nice comfy blanket for the players after training and maybe a nice story that gives them that warm fuzzy feeling inside.
Get a grip and let us get these soft cocks out of the club and get in players that are up for the challenge!
Redcafe, where the hard men of the internet come for pissing contests.

crossy1686

career ending
Who said this?

You really should stick to being an internet hard man. No one is calling Fergie a bully :lol:
We do have players of questionable mentality though, one of the reasons Rashford will never be world class is because he doesn’t have ‘Mancunian resilience’ like the likes of Scholes, Butt, Neville etc. Maybe it’s social media? Maybe it’s giving too much of a feck what some random person on Twitter thinks of you? but unless it changes we’ll always Ben in trouble when things get tough.

Maticmaker

Mitten's comments seem to reflect that the club is in a mess, but even from the outside we all know that; from the Owners down. There are lots of people in the club, both management staff and players, who either don't give a **it as long as the money's arriving in their bank account, or they have personal issues affecting their form/performance issues, injuries, worries, loss of confidence etc.or are being asked to do something they cannot do, at least not on a consistent basis.
Football is a simple game but how often, out on the pitch, do we see lineups and individual actions that effectively make a simple thing more complicated, when there is no need for it?
This is what the manager has to get a grip of with his tactics, making sure not only players understand but are capable of carrying out simple actions, under pressure, instincts are important but correct decision -making is even more important. Injuries are plaguing ETH just now, so if you cannot field a team that should win, field one that shouldn't lose.
All United fans would like to see us winning with open and attacking football, but right now I would settle for some boring games which put us some points on the board.

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
I know it was a crap palace side but the desire and structure was incredible for that carabao cup match.

I think we are genuinely coming up on a “play the kid moment whether he takes it or not, Hannibal, garnacho, diallo when he comes back etc.

We are getting hammered every week what difference does it make if we risk the kids playing at this point

AFC NimbleThumb

We do have players of questionable mentality though
Agreed.

My point is this is a forum where fans of a football club we have no tangible impact on come to moan, we’re the last people who should be talking about what a 40 year old Fergie would do cause I guarantee he wouldn’t be signed up on here. There are no hard men here.

Do you think that the players at Citeh or Real aren’t pampered/looked after beyond belief? Of course they are. We have the wrong group of players totally but players these days won’t respond to some borstal style atmosphere so talking like we’re the only club with the issue not the game itself is ridiculous. The biggest problem we have are that our ‘leaders’ can’t lead & don’t bring up the average.

garelo

Why are people still pushing this narrative of the "same players" getting the manager the sack, it's an almost new 11 that is first choice and you can't seriously tell me that players like bruno, lindelof, Maguire and mctominay are not trying or ignoring manger instructions, I can give you maybe rashford as his head is back down again but that is just 1 player out of a starting 11, it's insane that fans still believe such a nonsensical thing
almost new 11 thats nice! :lol:

ONANA
AWB VARANE LICHA SHAW
CASEMIRO MOUNT
ANTONY BRUNO RASHFORD
HOJLUND

5 old players is not almost new 11 starters unless you failed the math.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
If people think sacking another manager is cheaper than replacing the squad, THINK AGAIN! We have spent ONE BILLION POUNDS hiring and sacking managers in the last 10 years and we are so far away from winning the league.
You sacked ETH and hire the new manager, that new manager would demand new players to be brought in, fast forward 2 years that new manager would lose the trust of these players, we sack him and hire the new manager, THE CIRLCE CONTINUES with no end in sight. ETH and Murtough have to identify the troublemakers, kick them out, and tell the Glazers it's cheaper this way.

With Jose, it was all about toxicity he created
with Ole, it was all about vibes no tactic
with Rangnick, it was all about him being interim
with ETH, it is all about his signings?

There's always excuse for these underperformed overpaid divas eh? honestly i'm sick to death with these players. They might have excuse throwing managers they dont like under the buss HAD they won everything under the sun (like chelsea under roman) but nope they are perennial losers who crumble under slighest pressure, enough is enough for me.
These aren't Jose players or even Ole. It's like triggers brush this squad, you all refer to these players as though they're the same guys that took previous managers down. ETH has a completely different squad and he's signed half of them himself.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
This notion that you can be better just because your salary is high is bizzarre too. To exaggerate the point, Maguire wouldnt be a better player if he was paid 1 million a week. Every player mostly just try and do their best with what they have and go through streaks of good/bad form. Bruno and Rashford are our most involved players, so the downing tools bit that my comment originated from is just strange.
What a bizarre take. Are Hannibal and Casemiro expected to perform at the same level than?

Someone should tell the club we’re wasting money paying the likes of Rashford, Casemiro, Bruno and Varane because paying them big money is bollocks if they can be replaced with cheaper players.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
What a bizarre take. Are Hannibal and Casemiro expected to perform at the same level than?
Hannibal is in his breakthrough season whereas Casemiro has won multiple champions leagues, can't expect wage parity not can you expect Casemiro to always be the best player, football doesn't work like that.

pocco

loco

ONANA
AWB VARANE LICHA SHAW
CASEMIRO MOUNT
ANTONY BRUNO RASHFORD
HOJLUND

He seems to like all those players as he plays them consistently. So they're not the players he's referring to, unless Ten Hag is a complete moron and continues to play guys that are an apparent issue. He could replace most of those players with players that came in under him pretty much.

garelo

These aren't Jose players or even Ole. It's like triggers brush this squad, you all refer to these players as though they're the same guys that took previous managers down. ETH has a completely different squad and he's signed half of them himself.
i just posted a comment above about our strongest line up where we have 5 players from Mourinho and Ole era, saying it's not the same guys is just petty considering the likes of Onana and Hojlund have only been here in less than 6 months.

He seems to like all those players as he plays them consistently. So they're not the players he's referring to, unless Ten Hag is a complete moron and continues to play guys that are an apparent issue. He could replace most of those players with players that came in under him pretty much.
We have been here before, people (even player) accused manager of favoritism. Ole was accused by the very same thing too. so i need you to look deeper, the squad is depleted with injuries or off-field issue, ETH hasnt got many options he can choose to unless you think playing kids will magically turn things around.

pocco

loco
His exact quote was "I know they aren't responding to the manager, I speak to people, I see with my own eyes", which I heard as it was more his interpretation of what he is seeing and reading between the lines of conversations rather than something he has been told directly.
That quote implies he's being told this. Not sure where you get your interpretation from?

pocco

loco
i just posted a comment above about our strongest line up where we have 5 players from Mourinho and Ole era, saying it's not the same guys is just petty considering the likes of Onana and Hojlund have only been here in less than 6 months.
Two are the guys he built the team around and trusts every game. Let's face it, it's a nonsense. He could play other players if they were an issue, what is there to lose of they're letting him down? I find it hard to believe that all his signings are fine but anybody he hasn't signed is a problem. It's his job to sort it, they weren't an issue last year, he never complained about them then. Now they're suddenly an issue? It's just excuses.

Lee565

ONANA
AWB VARANE LICHA SHAW
CASEMIRO MOUNT
ANTONY BRUNO RASHFORD
HOJLUND

So your implying bruno(captain) varane(been injured) shaw (long term injury) awb(injured) are dragging eth down.... the only one out of them that is consistently playing that may not be pulling their weight is rashford but to be fair rashford saved eth ass last season.

pocco

loco
Redcafe, where a 40yo Alex Ferguson would be classified as a bully for demanding too much from his players.
This is where you're wrong. Fergie wasn't just an authoritarian. He was like a father figure to the players, a mentor. He knew different personalities needed a different approach. He wasn't bollocking 18 year old Ronaldo for making mistakes, losing the ball etc. He was encouraging him, giving him advice but building his confidence to keep going. Ten Hag doesn't seem to have this in his locker and the confidence of players is shot. Some need a bollocking, some need a bit of belief in themselves.

ROFLUTION

Someone should tell the club we’re wasting money paying the likes of Rashford, Casemiro, Bruno and Varane because paying them big money is bollocks if they can be replaced with cheaper players.
Great, show me the cheap players at a “normal” wage that can match their output. It sounds like an easy one for you.

lex talionis

Apart from Rashford, who just can’t be bothered for long stretches, I really don’t see a of effort being the problem.

The bigger problem is poor decision making. Rashford’s decision to cross instead of shoot. Onana’s decision to be in no man’s land, his decision to make a stupid pass, and his decision to go to ground before he was chipped. Bruno’s decision to take a 0% shot from distance from distance when a good pass was on. We all make mistakes but something has gotten into the heads of the players where they’re now making one mistake after another. Maybe that’s a way of downing tools without looking like they’re downing tools. Why? I have no idea.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Don’t understand this take

we’re only a little way into the season after a season where they won a trophy and got to the final of another.

this season has been interrupted by injuries & controversies

elmo

Great, show me the cheap players at a “normal” wage that can match their output. It sounds like an easy one for you.
You should be the one listing them out since you think wages shouldn’t matter. I’ve already said, they’re higher paid for a reason.

roseguy64

Said this on the Athletic pod yesterday (@crossy1686 mentioned it on here).

What do we make of this? He goes on to say there have been periods before under other managers, but there haven't really, there have only been the moments when the dressing room has been lost and eventually the manager gets the sack. But I suspect there are quite a lot of players behind him and another bunch not willing to buy into his way.
When I heard it it sounded more like they're hearing him but not applying what he's saying. Not maliciously but lack of belief. Either in themselves or the manager.

Polar

I think the players are confused by the manager. Too many instructions and overcomplicated, unfamiliar tactics.
Ole was in the same situation and he had a very simple approach, so I dont think it’s about things being overcomplicated.

Either the players aren’t good enough (think they are better than they are), the team composition isn’t good enough, or a combination of the above.

Can’t imagine example Lindelof, Martial or Dalot playing on any of the top-half teams.

Bondi77

This is where you're wrong. Fergie wasn't just an authoritarian. He was like a father figure to the players, a mentor. He knew different personalities needed a different approach. He wasn't bollocking 18 year old Ronaldo for making mistakes, losing the ball etc. He was encouraging him, giving him advice but building his confidence to keep going. Ten Hag doesn't seem to have this in his locker and the confidence of players is shot. Some need a bollocking, some need a bit of belief in themselves.
So Erik didn't do that a couple of months ago with Sancho when he was widely commended on here for his approach to the situation.
AWB, Dalot, Rashford and others are vastly improved under Erik so don't believe everything you read as most of it is bollocks.

ROFLUTION

You should be the one listing them out since you think wages shouldn’t matter. I’ve already said, they’re higher paid for a reason.
It really does sound like you havent understood my point at all.

elmo

It really does sound like you havent understood my point at all.
Just answer this question, do you think fans expect more from a player that’s earning 300k a week versus one that’s earning 100k a week.

It’s as simple as that. You can argue all you want that some of them don’t deserve the salary but it makes feck all of a difference. The club paid them more than other players in the squad for a reason.

ROFLUTION

Just answer this question, do you think fans expect more from a player that’s earning 300k a week versus one that’s earning 100k a week.

It’s as simple as that. You can argue all you want that some of them don’t deserve the salary but it makes feck all of a difference. The club paid them more than other players in the squad for a reason.
Sure, I’ll answer pretty easily compared to you who dodge simple questions. Yes people expect more. Does your wage and price mean that you can actually perform to a certain level? No, wage is just a result of demand, negotiations, hype and of course skills. But you can’t say wage = equals a great player that should perform every week. Else Maguire would just be a great player. Every player usually try their best, sometimes you get a good streak rolling, sometimes you dont. It’s like you equal that you have a high confidence with a high wage. Players are just human beings, who react to their surroundings. Its not like they react to their wage and say “hey I earn 300k a week so I should score more. Ok then I just score more. Easy.”

Now answer my previous questions. Please, find me the players on a normal price, on a normal salary that is as involved on Rashford or Bruno overall. That’s what you’re saying is possible.

roseguy64

If anyone actually listens to what he said, you will realise it's a pretty meaningless throw away comment which fans are now overanalysing and making Mount Everest from an ant hill

Mitten is not trying to suggest that there is some mutiny or players giving up or anything like that
This exactly

elmo

Sure, I’ll answer pretty easily compared to you who dodge simple questions. Yes people expect more. Does your wage and price mean that you can actually perform to a certain level? No, wage is just a result of demand, negotiations, hype and of course skills. But you can’t say wage = equals a great player that should perform every week. Else Maguire would just be a great player. Every player usually try their best, sometimes you get a good streak rolling, sometimes you dont. It’s like you equal that you have a high confidence with a high wage. Players are just human beings, who react to their surroundings. Its not like they react to their wage and say “hey I earn 300k a week so I should score more. Ok then I just score more. Easy.”

Now answer my previous questions. Please, find me the players on a normal price, on a normal salary that is as involved on Rashford or Bruno overall. That’s what you’re saying is possible.
I’m saying it’s literally impossible because better players generally tend to be paid more! Learn to fecking read!

Maguire ain’t world class, but for the wages he’s earning, the expectations from him would be different from a player in the academy and you would hope the actual performance reflects so.

You should start living in reality because people have different expectations for things depending on how much it costs. Complaining about fans being unrealistic with their expectations for highly paid salaries payers is a ridiculous take especially with the squad we have.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

ONANA
AWB VARANE LICHA SHAW
CASEMIRO MOUNT
ANTONY BRUNO RASHFORD
HOJLUND

This season as well Martinez has not fully recovered from last season's injury when playing, Mount, Onana and Hojlund need time to settle into a new team, with two of them needing to adapt to the league and Antony has had the investigation looming over his head.

But whatever fits the other posters narratives.

RuudTom83

Any hint of success tends to go straight to their heads and has them thinking they’ve made it!

It’s probably been a shock this season to them all, as they would have expected to be Top 4 all season.

But the sad fact is most games they come off the pitch after losing all their individual battles.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I know it was a crap palace side but the desire and structure was incredible for that carabao cup match.

I think we are genuinely coming up on a “play the kid moment whether he takes it or not, Hannibal, garnacho, diallo when he comes back etc.

We are getting hammered every week what difference does it make if we risk the kids playing at this point
We aren't getting hammered every week.
We've had a couple of comfy defeats but most have been very nip and tuck thay could easily have gone our way.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
If there's some truth to this, I can think only of Rashford, Bruno and Casemiro. All 3 of them have been absolute rubbish.
There is no way in hell Bruno will undermine a manager, esp EtH. He doesn't have a traitorous bone in him. Dude may not play well sometimes but he is a stand up guy through and through. Pretty sure it is the same for Casemiro

Jacko21

Worth noting that Mitten was asked to clarify these comments on the latest Talk of the Devils podcast - clearly caused a bit of a stir.

He played down any suggestion of the kind mutiny/unrest we've seen under previous managers, but added that "some players have not been responding the managers specific instructions".

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Worth noting that Mitten was asked to clarify these comments on the latest Talk of the Devils podcast - clearly caused a bit of a stir.

He played down any suggestion of the kind mutiny/unrest we've seen under previous managers, but added that "some players have not been responding the managers specific instructions".
Glad his feet are being held to the fire. It's way too easy for self proclaimed in the know journos, especially sports journos, to just blurt out non and half truths.