Andy Mitten: United carried out an investigation into leaks from the dressing room

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The mistake was saying it was Jesse that told him. Hilarious lack of common sense from Scholes. I wouldn't imagine those two would be that close from their playing days which leads me to think it's a more transactional relationship which has mutual benefits.
Are you suggesting Scholes and Lingard are in a business relationship of sorts?

romufc

It was basically confirmed as Lingard when that random leak came out saying the dressing room was baffled that Lingard wasn't playing more.

The Scholes stuff and the fact Mitten has said the leaker won't be an issue next season when Lingard is also leaving is just the cherry on top of the cake.
Exactly, how people chose to ignore all the facts is beyond me. If it was one article then you could say maybe its not him but it is consistent with Jesse.

Also, lets not forget that the journalist reporting it is is the same from the Mirror and Sun.

Kaos

Regarding Lingard being the likely leaker, it'll be interesting to keep an ear out for any leaks at his next club to validate the theory.

If we start hearing stories along the lines of "Sources say Newcastle have a dressing room issue" or "reports of antipasti being too undercooked at the San Siro" would further confirm he was the rat all along.

Bojan Djordjic

Are you suggesting Scholes and Lingard are in a business relationship of sorts?
No, I mean Lingard is providing Scholes with viewpoints that might influence the pubic view to his benefit while Scholes uses those insights in his television analysis.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I guess its possible but 1) there is a reason journalists never give up sources. If it comes out then they are done. They will just lie to the club - I got an anonymous email etc 2) Even if they give them up the player can just deny it. What's the club going to do? 3) Its very unlikely its coming direct from the player - that would be stupid. They will just get their uncle/bother/agents to approach on their behalf.

I guess they can find out behind the scenes then just sell them without giving the reason but if they refuse to be sold then not much you can do. Plus it doesnt really send a message to the rest of the team if you dont say or do anything about it. I think the old days where Sir Alex and Keane would find out and fk you up are long gone
First of all there's a clear difference between high tier journalism and sports journalism. The former tackle corruption, organized crime and political scandal while the latter will probably tackle Jesse Lingard humping a pillow or United being linked with Gaitan for the 12th time in a row. I mean currently one of the most reliable sports journalist on the world scene is Fabrizio Romano a 29 year old guy from Naples who spends half of his life speaking with the likes of Mark Goldbridge. Can you notice the difference between him and let say mafia guru Roberto Saviano who can't make a step out of his house without police protection? The stakes are somehow different. Regarding your second comment, I remember an ancient interview from Ryan Giggs were he said that whenever he organized a party behind the club's back, the first to show up would be SAF to spoil the fun and send everyone home. That was at a time when there was no social media, instagram and twitter that made things far far more easier.

I am pretty sure that United have enough people to make their own 1+1. The trouble is if the current United whose obsessed about social media presence would want to do that. Let's face it those who leak stuff tend to be the unprofessional people aka those who aren't fully focused on football matters

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
No, I mean Lingard is providing Scholes with viewpoints that might influence the pubic view to his benefit while Scholes uses those insights in his television analysis.
Ohhh, I do like a plot twist or two, especially one that has Jlingz coming off as an evil mastermind who's been manipulating the nice but dim Paul Scholes for several years.

Netflix should be all over this story.

DavelinaJolie

So a player can be friends with an ex player but not a journalist?

What if the person leaking it is a journalist and not a player then?
I'm confused as to your point. Of course they can, but the same would apply. It's on both parties to understand the nature of what they are discussing, whether it is a friendly conversation or provision of information for sharing. But we're not discussing a relationship between a journalist and a player.

The Scholes/Lingard situation, based on what Scholes said at the time and after, to me doesn't look like an intentional leak, but Scholes sharing a conversation he wasn't meant to. I can't say whether that is the case for certain, but that is how it appears to me. Evidently a number of people don't share that viewpoint, that's fair enough.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I work in law and have a lot of close friends who sometimes take on matters where I would have a conflict of interest. Being friends with eachother doesn't mean there aren't things you shouldn't talk about.

Assuming Lingard and Scholes are that close Lingard still should have known that leaking internal information to a member of the media makes him a very silly boy.

I honestly don't care about what he told Scholes but you are making it sound like something he told to his wife in private. He knows what Scholes does for a living.
You make it sound like Lingard trusted some sun journalist and gave info, they know each other and people talk and discuss. I don't know why people find it so surprising. Its not only with wives people share info, there is none better than Scholes to help Lingard on how to handle the situation

roonster09

Scout
Scholes is not in the same category as other ex players. He has chosen a career in the press. No player can surely be that naive to not realize that.
Just because he works as pundit doesn't mean players shouldn't be talking to ex players and discuss their situation.

roonster09

Scout
Damage limitation after the fact doesn't change the fact that Lingard spoke to a person in the media about the dressing room culture.

It's one thing confiding in a partner or close friend, who isn't about to speak on live TV, but it's naive at best for him to speak to anyone, ex player or not, when he knows minutes later they'll be on TV.
It's normal to discuss dressing room and what a cnut player is with ex-player or with friends. It's normal discussion. Scholes working as pundit doesn't change any of that, Neville, Scholes, Giggs, Butt and others are good friends and they own a club. Do you think Scholes and Giggs didn't share anything about dressing room when they discuss about the club?

People are just overreacting for a nothing news.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Yeah, they did, meaning Lingard is innocent or there's more than one dressing room leaker.

How far do these leaks go back? I'm sure I remember them happening when Fergie was in charge.
I've no stake in this one way or the other but why does it mean Lingard is innocent just because he wasn't there? You think he stopped talking to our players just because he was at another club?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I remember reading that Lee Grant was one of the biggest leaks, always talking to talksport. Him and Lingard pretty much.

Whatever the case, we've got like 10 players leaving so I'd be shocked if it's still an issue.

roonster09

Scout
I remember reading that Lee Grant was one of the biggest leaks, always talking to talksport. Him and Lingard pretty much.

Whatever the case, we've got like 10 players leaving so I'd be shocked if it's still an issue.
We have changed squad 3-4 times since SAF retired and we always had articles on training, dressing room.

Journalists know players, agents, families and they also make stuff up.

We wont hear anything on this if we are winning trophies, if not then we will have plenty of stories.

stevoc

I've heard from a very good source from within the club that Lingard was the leak and the only leak from within the club.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I've no stake in this one way or the other but why does it mean Lingard is innocent just because he wasn't there? You think he stopped talking to our players just because he was at another club?
Well, he can't leak the teamsheet if he's not within earshot of the manager, and I can't imagine he'd be foolish enough to ask a member of the squad for that info as it would look highly suspicious :p

Bojan Djordjic

I've heard from a very good source from within the club that Lingard was the leak and the only leak from within the club.
Sounds like something Dean Henderson would say. Stevoc written backwards is covets. Dean Henderson covets the starting goalkeeper position.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I see what you did there. Tell Lingard that he has a slappable face.

romufc

I'm confused as to your point. Of course they can, but the same would apply. It's on both parties to understand the nature of what they are discussing, whether it is a friendly conversation or provision of information for sharing. But we're not discussing a relationship between a journalist and a player.

The Scholes/Lingard situation, based on what Scholes said at the time and after, to me doesn't look like an intentional leak, but Scholes sharing a conversation he wasn't meant to. I can't say whether that is the case for certain, but that is how it appears to me. Evidently a number of people don't share that viewpoint, that's fair enough.
You also realise that a dressing room is a safe space. I watched Rio on his podcast describe the dressing room at United and he was saying its a safe space, no one talks to people outside as to what goes on in there.

With Jesse telling people outside, its clearly a leak. Ofcourse its an intentional leak, you are telling people that the dressing room is a bad place to someone who is not in the dressing room.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Its not my fault that you chose to ignore to read.

I have provided you plenty of instances which suggest Lingard is part of the problem.

Scholes came out and said Lingard told him. What more do you want? Lingard to come out himself?

On the contrary, you have given nil, zero, zilch evidence that it isnt him.
I don't need to give any evidence that it's not Lingard because there's no evidence to suggest it is Lingard!! :houllier:

Scholes had a chat with Lingard, doesn't mean he is the leak, it was an off the cuff chat by all accounts.

Lingard has been mentioned in news reports claiming players feel he should be playing more...not exactly rocket science to think that a player would say that when Lingard is a popular member of the dressing room, so again, nothing substantial to suggest it was Lingard that leaked these stories.

It isn't my fault that people on here seem to have agendas against Lingard and feel they need to blame him for any of the clubs woes.

Why wouldn't Lingard come out himself and say 'I feel I should be playing more?'? He could easily do that, what would he have to lose by doing that? Instead people are claiming he is doing it on the sly, for what purpose?

crossy1686

career ending
Lingard has been mentioned in news reports claiming players feel he should be playing more...not exactly rocket science to think that a player would say that when Lingard is a popular member of the dressing room, so again, nothing substantial to suggest it was Lingard that leaked these stories.
Prove it

romufc

I don't need to give any evidence that it's not Lingard because there's no evidence to suggest it is Lingard!! :houllier:

Scholes had a chat with Lingard, doesn't mean he is the leak, it was an off the cuff chat by all accounts.

It isn't my fault that people on here seem to have agendas against Lingard and feel they need to blame him for any of the clubs woes.

Why wouldn't Lingard come out himself and say 'I feel I should be playing more?'? He could easily do that, what would he have to lose by doing that? Instead people are claiming he is doing it on the sly, for what purpose?
I dont get what part of telling someone that is not part of the dressing room is not a leak.

Of the cuff or not, when you tell someone that is not in the dressing room, that is it a shit place, its called a leak. Especially, if the person works in the media.

its not an agenda, its pure facts. No one is blaming Lingard for a shit season, we are having a look at his stinking attitude.

So in your opinion its fine for players to post pictures in another kit?
Its fine to say "In prison" whilst on a 5 star holiday in Dubai just because his move didn't go through?

Taking personal days because his head is not in the right space.
Asking the manager not to involve him in the squads.

He is a rotten apple. Pure and simple

ChippyTea

Regarding Lingard being the likely leaker, it'll be interesting to keep an ear out for any leaks at his next club to validate the theory.

If we start hearing stories along the lines of "Sources say Newcastle have a dressing room issue" or "reports of antipasti being too undercooked at the San Siro" would further confirm he was the rat all along.
That won't necessarily happen I suppose, because we forced him to stay against his will when he clearly wanted out and did so just to keep him on the bench.

Certainly don't remember it happening when he was at West Ham, but he seemed happy there so!

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I dont get what part of telling someone that is not part of the dressing room is not a leak.

Of the cuff or not, when you tell someone that is not in the dressing room, that is it a shit place, its called a leak. Especially, if the person works in the media.

its not an agenda, its pure facts. No one is blaming Lingard for a shit season, we are having a look at his stinking attitude.

So in your opinion its fine for players to post pictures in another kit?
Its fine to say "In prison" whilst on a 5 star holiday in Dubai just because his move didn't go through?

Taking personal days because his head is not in the right space.
Asking the manager not to involve him in the squads.

He is a rotten apple. Pure and simple
That isn't a leak!! Otherwise any time a player has a conversation with anyone regarding something to do with the club is a leak!! Any interviews about anything to do with the club is a leak!!
We are talking about concerted persistent leaks regarding team selections, dressing room morale and contracts here. Not someone who had a chat with an ex player!

This is nothing to do with Lingards so called attitude issues, merely people blaming him because they don't like him very much!

The guy was mislead regarding his game time, he wanted to go and was forced to stay, he can say what he wants on social media as far as I am concerned, I'm not on any social media so it really isn't an issue to me personally.

The guy has been at the club since he was a kid, he scored the winner in an FA cup final, I think he can be let off a few days in order to get his head straight when he needs to.

romufc

That isn't a leak!! Otherwise any time a player has a conversation with anyone regarding something to do with the club is a leak!! Any interviews about anything to do with the club is a leak!!
We are talking about concerted persistent leaks regarding team selections, dressing room morale and contracts here. Not someone who had a chat with an ex player!

This is nothing to do with Lingards so called attitude issues, merely people blaming him because they don't like him very much!

The guy was mislead regarding his game time, he wanted to go and was forced to stay, he can say what he wants on social media as far as I am concerned, I'm not on any social media so it really isn't an issue to me personally.

The guy has been at the club since he was a kid, he scored the winner in an FA cup final, I think he can be let off a few days in order to get his head straight when he needs to.
Ofcourse it is a leak. Okay, find me where anyone has come out and said the Liverpool / Arsenal / Chelsea City dressing room is shit show?

Every time something is leaked, it has something to do with Lingard... his team mates think he should play. Mate no one is going to the media to say, I think Jessie is brilliant in the training ground, he should play.

He was mislead on game time? prove it. Prove it that he was guaranteed a certain amount of minutes?
Since when did we guarantee minutes to players that do not perform? You think he has a divine right to play?

You keep asking for proof, prove to me that he was guaranteed a certain number of minutes, I want to know how much game time he was guaranteed.

b82REZ

It's normal to discuss dressing room and what a cnut player is with ex-player or with friends. It's normal discussion. Scholes working as pundit doesn't change any of that, Neville, Scholes, Giggs, Butt and others are good friends and they own a club. Do you think Scholes and Giggs didn't share anything about dressing room when they discuss about the club?

People are just overreacting for a nothing news.
It really isn't. Even more so on the back of a humiliation as the person you're chatting to is about to go live on air and discuss the club and dressing room you're disclosing information on.

Rio talks about these kind of things a lot on his channel. Of course arguments and fights would break out in the dressing room, but knowledge of that was privileged and not spoken about out of that bubble. Scholes has stitched Lingard up but Lingard certainly leaked information.

roonster09

Scout
It really isn't. Even more so on the back of a humiliation as the person you're chatting to is about to go live on air and discuss the club and dressing room you're disclosing information on.

Rio talks about these kind of things a lot on his channel. Of course arguments and fights would break out in the dressing room, but knowledge of that was privileged and not spoken about out of that bubble. Scholes has stitched Lingard up but Lingard certainly leaked information.
So you think Lingard knew Scholes would spit out that info? Or that he told him just before Scholes said it?

I wouldn't say leaked, I would say Lingard discussed issues with Scholes which is very common and normal thing to do. Maybe you think it isn't, so yeah lets agree to disagree.

b82REZ

So you think Lingard knew Scholes would spit out that info? Or that he told him just before Scholes said it?

I wouldn't say leaked, I would say Lingard discussed issues with Scholes which is very common and normal thing to do. Maybe you think it isn't, so yeah lets agree to disagree.
He probably was hedging his bets his comments would be mentioned without the name drop.

There's too much smoke round Jesse at this stage to claim he isn't involved with the leaks. Common sense says he's at least Vardy-ing his leaks and getting his brother or agent to drop stories to certain journos.

roonster09

Scout
He probably was hedging his bets his comments would be mentioned without the name drop.

There's too much smoke round Jesse at this stage to claim he isn't involved with the leaks. Common sense says he's at least Vardy-ing his leaks and getting his brother or agent to drop stories to certain journos.
I'm not saying he isn't involved in the leaks. Him, Rashford, Shaw and even Maguire looks obvious choices. My point was there was nothing wrong in Lingard discussing with Scholes. It's different from the leaks to Journalists.

crossy1686

career ending
Prove what?

That another player could quite easily say that they feel Lingard should be playing more?
That Lingard is popular in the changing room.

We can do this all day, at some point you have to just accept that if something looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's probably a duck.

Wheato

I think it is time for everyone, including our fans and our fan journalists, to chalk this one off. There is nothing to be gained from scratching around in the dirt. Or opening old wounds. Like he highlights in one of the first paragraphs, the problem has been moved on. In fact, multiple problems have been moved on. We are turning a new page, with a new strategy. We all need to buy into and get behind Ten Hag now. He's the best available manager out there. A workaholic who meticulously plans everything in finite detail. We haven't had anyone this good at his job since SAF. He will make great strides over the coming years, and all of this nonsense will be a distant and insignificant memory.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think it is time for everyone, including our fans and our fan journalists, to chalk this one off. There is nothing to be gained from scratching around in the dirt. Or opening old wounds. Like he highlights in one of the first paragraphs, the problem has been moved on. In fact, multiple problems have been moved on. We are turning a new page, with a new strategy. We all need to buy into and get behind Ten Hag now. He's the best available manager out there. A workaholic who meticulously plans everything in finite detail. We haven't had anyone this good at his job since SAF. He will make great strides over the coming years, and all of this nonsense will be a distant and insignificant memory.
FFS! We have a new leak and it seems to ten Hag's PR team.:(