Andy Mitten: United carried out an investigation into leaks from the dressing room

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Didn’t Scholes literally mention him by name saying the team was unhappy? I mean, it can’t get more clearer than that surely.
Talking to Paul Scholes after a game = leaking press?

Whether it is or isn't Jesse, talking to Paul Scholes is not proof of that.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
How do you carry out an investigation into leaks? Its impossible unless you hack their phones or bug their houses. Even then its probably not them who goes to the press. They tell their Uncle/brother/friend and give them the contact of the journalist. Its just nonsense
Oh its very easy to do

Let's say you're a sports journalist. You have built a solid reputation in the sports industry to attract the attention of Manchester United who took a liking to you. That means that whenever they want to generate interest on something (new signing, interest for a player, new shirt etc) they give you a head start. They also facilitate your interaction with players. If let's say Rashford wants to push a certain social agenda or Pogba wants to launch a new product then the club would advice these players to go through you as you're someone they trust. Such privilege allows you to attract top jobs like for example the United correspondent at Athletic.

Now a United player approach you with more juicy stuff than the one provided by the club. Considering that no one would risk a high earning job just so that he can spread gossip then one assume that the player in question is fed up of how he's being treated. The cause to that might be many (ex he's been sidelined by the manager or he wants out). Suddenly you have access to information the club doesn't want you to know. Your popularity go to the moon, you get a salary raise because of it etc.

However now the club knows that there is a leak and they also know that this leak has approached you. Well Manchester United can tell you to either hand your source to them or else you're won't be fed any information anymore. Strictly speaking you can tell them to sod off as your source feeds you better information then them. However as said we're talking about an unhappy player at the club. Would you trust your source to keep feeding you information forever? What happens if he is suddenly appeased or worse still he's sold off to another club? No one gives a feck about the information Brighton's new signing will leak to you

So yes its very very simple to catch leakers

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Except he doesn't want to leave United. He's underpaid *comparatively to his mates who are on at least £100k more than him. So he's run his contract down in an attempt to get a bumper Woodward special, only for the people in charge of contracts to get fecked off. On top of that, he's not been played so he's not even been able to prove that he deserves a new contract. So he has nothing to lose by telling the press whatever he wants, in which all stories are signed off with "and Jesse should play more...".

The leaks were probably coming from Rashford and Lingard. I'm sure they would have kept in contact during his West Ham days. And after this summer, most of our self interested players will have been moved on, so I doubt said person will still be around.
Rashford makes more sense as a leak than Lingard.

Lingard's name only gets brought up because people dislike him.

But Rashford has a good rapport with the press, it would make sense for him to claim Lingard should be playing more, and also he has reason's to be disillusioned with the club after the season he has had.

Trex

Ole favoured the British boys, Maguire, Shaw, AWB, Mctominay, Rashford, Greenwood all playing prominent roles.
But there were leaks, although Lingard and Hendo would have been dissatisfied.

Only Maguire and Mctominay maintained there roles under Rangnick, the others played lesser roles.
I feel though it all comes down to what happens on the pitch, if result and performance meets expectations then all this will dry up.
its easy to do this with Mourinho, Rangnick and Ole because that aren't meeting expectations, you don't hear this at City, Liverpool, Chelsea because they're winning ....the buck stops with the manager.

romufc

So we are agreed that it isn't him as you can't prove it is, yeah?! :lol::lol:
Obviously the only way to prove it is ask the journalist who their source is, which is not going to happen. But when you look at the stories.

1. United players think Jessi Lingard should be getting a chance to play.
2. Scholes coming out saying Lingard telling him dressing room is a joke
3. Him and his brother constantly disrespecting the club

There are many stories that have Jesse Lingard in them, why would anyone leak that Lingard should get more game time.
He is rubbish, no other player would go to the the press saying we believe Lingard needs to play.

All you have is saying prove its him, but there is plenty evidence that points to him.

crossy1686

career ending
Rashford makes more sense as a leak than Lingard.

Lingard's name only gets brought up because people dislike him.

But Rashford has a good rapport with the press, it would make sense for him to claim Lingard should be playing more, and also he has reason's to be disillusioned with the club after the season he has had.
Rashford has definitely leaked to the press this season also, Neville even commented on it once, but he has no reason to go to the press and complain about how someone else is being treated when that would damage his career at United. It would be pretty fecking stupid.

romufc

In his position?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
There’s plenty of leaks that suggest it’s Lingard
Which? The only one even remotely connected to Lingard is the conversation he had in confidence with Paul Scholes. Aka. Man talking about work with person you should be able to confide in like absolutely everyone does.

Beyond that its the standard transfer/salary/everyday rumour that surround every player.

Lingard gets so much shit for being a normal person here Im legitimately embarrassed.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
How do you carry out an investigation into leaks? Its impossible unless you hack their phones or bug their houses. Even then its probably not them who goes to the press. They tell their Uncle/brother/friend and give them the contact of the journalist. Its just nonsense
Like this:

Maticmaker

Leaks from the dressing room......" it was the groundsman, in the boiler-room, with a pitchfork, after dark!!

crossy1686

career ending
Which? The only one even remotely connected to Lingard is the conversation he had in confidence with Paul Scholes. Aka. Man talking about work with person you should be able to confide in like absolutely everyone does.

Beyond that its the standard transfer/salary/everyday rumour that surround every player.

Lingard gets so much shit for being a normal person here Im legitimately embarrassed.
You're embarrassed by Lingard getting shit?

You're right about one thing, he is a normal person, he certainly isn't a footballer.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
People are pointing the finger at Lingard because they don't like him.

I'm not saying he's innocent but I don't think he's the only one of he's involved. The leaks still happened when he was on loan, didn't they?

romufc

I'm not saying he's innocent but I don't think he's the only one of he's involved. The leaks still happened when he was on loan, didn't they?
No one actually thinks that its one person only.

Lingard is one of them is what people are saying because of all the reports that have come out, which clearly point to him.

What leaks happened during his loan?

Dante

Average bang
I think the leaks probably came from one of the outgoing coaches. They were too detailed and high-level to be from a player.

The Caf just enjoys the drama of a celebrity leaker too much. Especially when that celebrity is a heel.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
You're embarrassed by Lingard getting shit?

You're right about one thing, he is a normal person, he certainly isn't a footballer.
Its fair to criticize Lingard for what he has done on the pitch.

What gets boring and smells of hyenas shouting in a circle is people calling Lingard a rat, traitor, mocking him for Jlingz, dabbing, being unhappy about his playingtime and the latest example is everyone flocking to shit all over him for being sad that he didnt get to have a few minutes at Old Traffor in his last ever game there. It obviously meant the world to him, but god forbid he is dissappointed and didnt control his brothers reaction.

At least he got the clup a FA cup trophy, which is more than the fans calling him everything under the sun has done.

PeteManic

I actually think it is one of the old boys we see on the TV who is leaking stories.

Mmm-Qatarian

The amount of vitriol towards Lingard is honestly pretty horrible. Scholes is a complete muppet for naming him on TV. People need to remember that he stayed at the club with a promise for more game time and the club later broke this promise; frankly I cannot blame him that much for being unhappy about the situation.

If there's anything at all people should be learning from the ongoing "Wagatha Christie" trial, it's that leaks can happen without the necessity for any player to be directly involved. It could be the agents, family members, friends etc. of players that are giving these stories to journalists, and in fact I'd bet that is probably what's going on.

It cannot reasonably be expected that players never speak to anybody about their work environment, and Scholes is somebody that Lingard should've been able to trust to keep what he'd said confidential.

crossy1686

career ending
Its fair to criticize Lingard for what he has done on the pitch.

What gets boring and smells of hyenas shouting in a circle is people calling Lingard a rat, traitor, mocking him for Jlingz, dabbing, being unhappy about his playingtime and the latest example is everyone flocking to shit all over him for being sad that he didnt get to have a few minutes at Old Traffor in his last ever game there. It obviously meant the world to him, but god forbid he is dissappointed and didnt control his brothers reaction.

At least he got the clup a FA cup trophy, which is more than the fans calling him everything under the sun has done.
Lingard has been appalling on the pitch, let's not forget that as a forward player he went more than a year without a goal or assist.

You've got to ask yourself a few questions first, in an era where Phil Jones got a new bumper contract without even playing, what has Lingard done, or not done, who has he upset to not get that new bumper deal? If he has been offered a new contract, why hasn't he signed it? Does he believe he's worth more than what was offered despite his output? All those things you mentioned, can you caveat any other player with "they're shit on the pitch, but it's the brand, dancing, social media outbursts etc that really piss people off"? The truth is you can't. Lingard is shit and he's louder than Ronaldo and Messi combined.

He didn't get his last game at OT because of his own actions. Again, whomever he's pissed off, he's pissed them off enough for that reaction. People don't treat you that way when they respect you.

didz

Rashford and Lingard are basically certain to be among the leakers. I'd be incredibly surprised if Shaw isn't also one. I'd imagine there's at least another 1 or 2.

It's a culture that's developed among the playing staff, so any serious reduction will have to include more than just letting players go.

Champ

Obviously the only way to prove it is ask the journalist who their source is, which is not going to happen. But when you look at the stories.

1. United players think Jessi Lingard should be getting a chance to play.
2. Scholes coming out saying Lingard telling him dressing room is a joke
3. Him and his brother constantly disrespecting the club

There are many stories that have Jesse Lingard in them, why would anyone leak that Lingard should get more game time.
He is rubbish, no other player would go to the the press saying we believe Lingard needs to play.

All you have is saying prove its him, but there is plenty evidence that points to him.
Where. Is. The. Evidence?

There is none!!

All you have is conjecture and assumptions.

There is literally zero evidence to prove its Lingard, there is also no real reason to suggest it's Lingard over anyone else in the dressing room, but I guess people have their reasons!

Champ

Yes they did.

mu4c_20le

I mean there were rumours that it was Henderson back then but I guess lingards an easier target.

Bojan Djordjic

= it's Lingard and he'll be gone anyway next season thankfully.
I'd say there's probably more than one culprit with him almost certainly being one of them. Always suspected Dean Henderson being another. Press always seem to be aware of just how happy or unhappy he is with his current deal, amount of playing time etc.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Yeah, they did, meaning Lingard is innocent or there's more than one dressing room leaker.

How far do these leaks go back? I'm sure I remember them happening when Fergie was in charge.

Varun1

Easy to the bolded part,

Prove it is him?

If you can't prove it is him them he isn't the leak!

Its not contrarianism, its simple facts, people are guessing it's Lingard based on heresay and Scholes having 'a quick chat' with him whilst on punditry duty at OT and the fact that they don't really like him!

Its a stretch to then claim he is definitely the leak when there is no real tangible evidence.
Everyone is quoting the part where Scholes says it was a quick chat yet ignore that Jesse actually leaked information.
Its stupid that we have to de-construct this but do you guys really expect Scholes to say "Jesse and I had a long conversation, discussing the morale of the team, his lack of minutes etc...", and give a detailed breakdown of what was said! He obviously summarised his conversation with Jesse and even tried to play it down later.

This was explained quite well by @OverratedOpinion, that Jesse said what he did to someone who works in the media is the exact definition of a leak. Especially someone who has been rather critical of United and will obviously use this information.
Besides Scholes's comments, all these articles specifically talking about Jesse's lack of game time and how he deserves to play is a clear indication of who it is.

Having said that, it's also clear that he's not the only leak. As @UNITED ACADEMY, there has been a number of articles on Rashford.

And as @Bojan Djordjic said, the press always seem to be aware how happy Rashford and Henderson are.

Scholes admitted it was his mistake to share the info said in confidence to him.
Sorry I've reached my daily post limit so just updating this one...

Unless am not getting where you're coming from, this doesn't absolve Jesse of anything for me. Having inadvertently leaked the name of his source, Scholes would obviously play it down.

Posters claiming that everyone is pointing the finger at Jesse because they hate him, well I don't. But I did start disliking him because of these leaks. And the same applies to Rashford and Henderson, I've really started disliking them because of the leaks.

I am very much against washing your dirty laundry in public, and that applies to RR as well. However I can understand some instances where RR did it, e.g. when there were articles about Jesse not being selected and RR explained that he had asked for time off and not trained.

Having said all that, besides Rashford and Jesse, who am sure have leaked stuff, it could well be a coach. Not just a player, so it's strange that we just ignore that.

Last edited:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Everyone quoting Scholes saying it was a quick chat, its stupid that we have to de-construct this: Do you guys really expect Scholes to say "Jesse and I had a long conversation, discussing the morale of the team, his lack of minutes etc...", and give a detailed breakdown of what was said! He obviously summarised his conversation with Jesse and even tried to play it down later.

This was explained quite well by @OverratedOpinion, that Jesse said what he did to someone who works in the media is the exact definition of a leak. Especially someone who has been rather critical of United and will obviously use this information.

Besides Scholes's comments, all these articles specifically talking about Jesse's lack of game time and how he deserves to play is a clear indication of who it is.

Having said that, it's also clear that he's not the only leak. As @UNITED ACADEMY, there has been a number of articles on Rashford.
Scholes admitted it was his mistake to share the info said in confidence to him.

Raulduke

Maybe not a coincidence this story goes out on the same day Henderson to Newcastle is "99% done"

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Cue everyone claiming its Lingard again with no proof whatsoever!! :lol::houllier:
Its Rashford through his PR agency. I assume Lingard is at the same shite too. The lads are trying to steer the club in a better direction despite being fairly bad at football. The fact they’ve lost belief isn’t enough of an excuse for me. This is as big of a club as they will play for again.

Bojan Djordjic

The

The mistake was saying it was Jesse that told him. Hilarious lack of common sense from Scholes. I wouldn't imagine those two would be that close from their playing days which leads me to think it's a more transactional relationship which has mutual benefits.

crossy1686

career ending
The

The mistake was saying it was Jesse that told him. Hilarious lack of common sense from Scholes. I wouldn't imagine those two would be that close from their playing days which leads me to think it's a more transactional relationship which has mutual benefits.
It definitely is, Scholes was the first ‘pundit’ to call Rangick ‘not a manager but a DOF’, which makes him look insightful on TV but the reality is he was being fed lines from behind the scenes.

He was also the first person to say “they don’t look coached properly” when it was way too early to see that.

UpWithRivers

Oh its very easy to do

Let's say you're a sports journalist. You have built a solid reputation in the sports industry to attract the attention of Manchester United who took a liking to you. That means that whenever they want to generate interest on something (new signing, interest for a player, new shirt etc) they give you a head start. They also facilitate your interaction with players. If let's say Rashford wants to push a certain social agenda or Pogba wants to launch a new product then the club would advice these players to go through you as you're someone they trust. Such privilege allows you to attract top jobs like for example the United correspondent at Athletic.

Now a United player approach you with more juicy stuff than the one provided by the club. Considering that no one would risk a high earning job just so that he can spread gossip then one assume that the player in question is fed up of how he's being treated. The cause to that might be many (ex he's been sidelined by the manager or he wants out). Suddenly you have access to information the club doesn't want you to know. Your popularity go to the moon, you get a salary raise because of it etc.

However now the club knows that there is a leak and they also know that this leak has approached you. Well Manchester United can tell you to either hand your source to them or else you're won't be fed any information anymore. Strictly speaking you can tell them to sod off as your source feeds you better information then them. However as said we're talking about an unhappy player at the club. Would you trust your source to keep feeding you information forever? What happens if he is suddenly appeased or worse still he's sold off to another club? No one gives a feck about the information Brighton's new signing will leak to you

So yes its very very simple to catch leakers
I guess its possible but 1) there is a reason journalists never give up sources. If it comes out then they are done. They will just lie to the club - I got an anonymous email etc 2) Even if they give them up the player can just deny it. What's the club going to do? 3) Its very unlikely its coming direct from the player - that would be stupid. They will just get their uncle/bother/agents to approach on their behalf.

I guess they can find out behind the scenes then just sell them without giving the reason but if they refuse to be sold then not much you can do. Plus it doesnt really send a message to the rest of the team if you dont say or do anything about it. I think the old days where Sir Alex and Keane would find out and fk you up are long gone

romufc

Where. Is. The. Evidence?

There is none!!

All you have is conjecture and assumptions.

There is literally zero evidence to prove its Lingard, there is also no real reason to suggest it's Lingard over anyone else in the dressing room, but I guess people have their reasons!
Its not my fault that you chose to ignore to read.

I have provided you plenty of instances which suggest Lingard is part of the problem.

Scholes came out and said Lingard told him. What more do you want? Lingard to come out himself?

On the contrary, you have given nil, zero, zilch evidence that it isnt him.

DavelinaJolie

Talking to Paul Scholes after a game = leaking press?

Whether it is or isn't Jesse, talking to Paul Scholes is not proof of that.
Yeah, this could easily have just been a conversation between friends and Scholes being a bit of a big mouth in the moment decided he'd share that when it wasn't meant to be. I would imagine a lot of ex pros have conversations with ex-team mates/friends in dressing rooms and never share that with people; that's not a "leak" in my view. A leak is going to a journalist and giving them information with the intention that it is put out without their name attached.

If it was an intentional leak, Scholes did a bloody terrible job with it in naming his source.

Based Adnan

It was basically confirmed as Lingard when that random leak came out saying the dressing room was baffled that Lingard wasn't playing more.

The Scholes stuff and the fact Mitten has said the leaker won't be an issue next season when Lingard is also leaving is just the cherry on top of the cake.

romufc

Yeah, this could easily have just been a conversation between friends and Scholes being a bit of a big mouth in the moment decided he'd share that when it wasn't meant to be. I would imagine a lot of ex pros have conversations with ex-team mates/friends in dressing rooms and never share that with people; that's not a "leak" in my view. A leak is going to a journalist and giving them information with the intention that it is put out without their name attached.

If it was an intentional leak, Scholes did a bloody terrible job with it in naming his source.
So a player can be friends with an ex player but not a journalist?

What if the person leaking it is a journalist and not a player then?