Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Brentford-United-Bournemouth-Burnley: still waiting to see them against a good team but early signs are good compared to last year

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Think we are seeing the metamorphosis of Sonaldo.

Doesn't quite have that electric pace anymore but stick him central and he's clinical, whilst still being mobile enough to cause defenders an issue. May even suit us better than Kane would have.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
What a fun appointment for Spurs, he’s turned them into an entertaining team overnight with virtually no investment and brought some joy in what was otherwise going to be a pretty dim post-Kane era.

Guy Incognito

Early days.

They seem to be creating chances at ease, look capable of scoring loads and actually want to be playing football.

No Europe, only play once a week, bodes well for Ange gelling his team. But you know they will have a Spursy moment.

Manncunian

What a fun appointment for Spurs, he’s turned them into an entertaining team overnight with virtually no investment and brought some joy in what was otherwise going to be a pretty dim post-Kane era.
It’s early days yet, far too soon for any meaningful analysis.

See Solskjaer’s early days and the Rio Ferdinand infamous quote about signing a contract and letting Ole put whatever numbers he wants on it. It was fun for a short while but soon became disastrous for quite some time.

It’s four games in.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
What is the matter with this front 3? Scoring left right and centre despite Kane's departure.
The front 3 of Son on the left, Richarlison centre and Kulusevski right.

He’s already addressed that and benched Richarlison and put Son central.

Blood Mage

Fair play to him, terrific start. Could just be a honeymoon period though so let's see what happens.

Has Glaston crawled out of his cave yet?

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Ooo how very dare you!
It's not even a diss, at the moment you are not very good and neither is Arsenal for what it's worth. But i reckon that when they play against any of Brighton or Newcastle, they will get punished

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Early days.

They seem to be creating chances at ease, look capable of scoring loads and actually want to be playing football.

No Europe, only play once a week, bodes well for Ange gelling his team. But you know they will have a Spursy moment.
Yeah, probably. May as well enjoy it while it lasts :D

Biggest issue is the lack of depth. There's only really Bentancur(assuming he gets back to his pre-injury levels) and Johnson who can come into today's side without there being a significant drop off, maybe Emerson too. We're an injury at CB away from Sanchez starting and we have no one else like Maddison. Udogie as well just looks absolutely sensational, him and Davies are worlds apart.

Thankfully we'll only be playing a max of 45 games this season so might get away with it.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Ange just has them playing all out attack minded football, which is pretty fun and a complete 180 from the Jose/Nuno/Conte years. They create lots of chances but also leave huge gaps and concede a lot to the opponent. It reminds me a little bit of some of Wenger's Arsenal teams in the later years, throwing men forward, creating a lot, but also capable of conceding at any moment. They are running hot in terms of the ball going (or not going) in the net right now with an XG-XGA spread of 8.65-6.5 but a G-GA spread of 11-4.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
He has a long history of improving teams. Every step of his career when he stepped up a level he met the challenge. What he does is create structure and space for his players to grow. There will be bad runs of course but he has already shown he belongs at this level.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
The only 'good' team Spurs have played is United. And as it stands atm, United are not that good.

But then again, Chelsea have been rubbish, Newcastle poor and Arsenal along with United unconvincing.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The only 'good' team Spurs have played is United. And as it stands atm, United are not that good.

But then again, Chelsea have been rubbish, Newcastle poor and Arsenal along with United unconvincing.
And to be honest, the first 40 minutes of the United game, United dominated Spurs and should’ve been two up.

But he’s playing exciting forward thinking football that will entertain the fans. But it’s hard to judge how good they actually are yet, hardly played any games. Once the new manager bounce settles, they have a bad day and have to react to it, and teams have had a little time to study how they play, then we will see how good they are.

He’s off to a great start though. As a Spurs fan you couldn’t ask for more. Seems a likeable chap too.

C'est Moi Cantona

In due course most half decent teams will have them worked out pretty quickly, they need to enjoy it whilst it lasts.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I’m absolutely baffled at how they had a free run at Maddison for £40m? I know he’s had his injury problems but he’s always looked quality, even in a poor Leicester side. Far less exciting midfielders have gone for much more money than him this summer.

Superunknown

I’m absolutely baffled at how they had a free run at Maddison for £40m? I know he’s had his injury problems but he’s always looked quality, even in a poor Leicester side. Far less exciting midfielders have gone for much more money than him this summer.
Yeah, they've done very well to get him. I really like him. He's quality. I guess the problem is that some of the other clubs may already have players who play in his position. I wouldn't have minded at all if we went for him instead of Mount, though.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's brought in players good under pressure in Maddison and Solomon, identified Richarlison as a weak link which was obvious at Everton, and is playing some good stuff as a result.

Abraxas

Not surprised at all that he has made a good start. Was standing out as a candidate for this type of job, not just based on his work at Celtic but a background of actually winning stuff. Winning is winning, whether it's Japan or Scotland or wherever, when it becomes a pattern it suggests something because many managers don't get over the line.

Seems to be able to coach players, maintains a good discipline without getting too matey with them, which is underlined by his straight forward way of communication which is often a strength of Australian leaders. He also had a great eye for a player in Scotland, we'll see how well that transitions to the PL. But you can't really complain about picking up a footballer as talented as Maddison as a start.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I'm unsurprised at their progress. Not only are thd players happier, allowing them to operate nearer their true potential for years, the loss of Kane has forced the attacking players to finally take on more responsibility rather than shirking it all on his shoulders. It also helps Bissouma is finally back to his Brighton pomp, yet they added Maddison.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Just realised he was cheaper than Fred :lol:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I know a few were converting loans to permanent transfers but Spurs have actually spent over £200m this summer, obviously getting a fair chunk of that back with the Kane sale.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
When they were playing like this in preseason people said ‘need to see it in the actual season’. Now they’re scoring goals like this in the league. This coach is legit and Spurs will, annoyingly, be very entertaining to watch this season.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I know a few were converting loans to permanent transfers but Spurs have actually spent over £200m this summer, obviously getting a fair chunk of that back with the Kane sale.
That included £30m spent on Kulusevski and nearly £40m spent on Porro, both of which had been agreed before Ange joined.

Brennan hasn’t played yet so the only new signings, who they had to pay for, having an impact so far have been Maddison, van de Ven and Vicario, who basically just cost what they got for Kane.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Great start to the season despite the cup loss. Maddison will probably be the signing of the season, he's fantastic and Southgate needs to find a place for him in the England side.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I would be reticent to making bold claims at this stage, but Spurs' playstyle seems encouraging what they've demonstrated in preseason and the league thus far.

Although Maddison is rightly receiving vociferous praise, it looks like the positional play of full backs Udogie and Porro coming infield has also made a great impact to the midfield dynamic. It's my understanding (correct if mistaken) that Porro was more of an overlapping full back at Sporting, and Ange is actively coaching him to thrive as an inverted full back. With that being said, I think Ange will be slightly disappointed that Burnley managed to get a second.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I’m really interested to see how they play at the weekend against Arsenal.

He took the game to Real Madrid when at Celtic so I don’t imagine he will hesitate to believe in his style against Arsenal.

Should be a great watch.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

He's brought in players good under pressure in Maddison and Solomon, identified Richarlison as a weak link which was obvious at Everton, and is playing some good stuff as a result.
Solomon is the player that was generally favoured over Mudryk at Shakhtar as their next left-wing talent (with Taison getting old and injury-prone) when both were there.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Annoyingly seems like a decent bloke as well. Don't think I'm yet to disagree with a take of his.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Just realised he was cheaper than Fred :lol:
He was cheaper than Mount, too. Choosing Mount over Maddison is like choosing Sancho and Donny over Grealish.

Our approach is plain to see. Maddison and Grealish were clearly the better players, but the others played for bigger teams that played in Europe so we opted for them. Context doesn't matter to us.

Solomon is the player that was generally favoured over Mudryk at Shakhtar as their next left-wing talent (with Taison getting old and injury-prone) when both were there.
I never saw him at Shakhtar but, whenever I saw Fulham last season, I was impressed.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I’m really interested to see how they play at the weekend against Arsenal.

He took the game to Real Madrid when at Celtic so I don’t imagine he will hesitate to believe in his style against Arsenal.

Should be a great watch.
I expect them to have a go, Ange will not change his game. Still expect Arsenal will do them at home, Spurs haven't won there in 10+ years as far as I can remember.