Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

RedBanker

I love you Ole
So who's better? De Zerbi or this guy. One thing is admirable that he didn't abandon his attacking style despite beatings. Not resorting to longballs or parking the bus to save his job.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Doing fine considering they're down to playing the kitman and a steward in central defence and the tea lady in the holding role. That injury to Veliz will no doubt help.

Last edited:

TheRedHearted

When asked how he felt about being a point off top four he remarked about being 3 points off the top. Credit to this guy, he’s a fighter

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Game against us will be fun. With that high line and press, think we have a decent chance especially given we now know how to play through the press.
I'll be watching it for sure. Could be a carbon copy of Boxing day although they could have Maddison back and bentancur made a surprise return so will have plenty of quality in central midfield.

marktan

Brennan Johnson has looked a-bit shite so far.
Watched him a fair bit at Nottingham and Wales and never really rated him as a 40m player. Basically a lankier Lingard. Spurs have been very good in the market but I think they overpaid for that one.

Robbie Boy

Watched him a fair bit at Nottingham and Wales and never really rated him as a 40m player. Basically a lankier Lingard. Spurs have been very good in the market but I think they overpaid for that one.
Aye, never thought he looked all too amazing at NF.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
If they have money to burn and manage to identify the right players in january, there is no reason why they shouldn't be preparing for a title challenge.

I haven't always been convinced by their gung-ho tactics but there is hard to argue against them probably being top of the league if they had not been ravaged by injuries. You could say that about a few teams this year though but I think Spurs has had the worst luck, and they still have probably amassed the most impressive points tally in relation to expectations

RVN1991

Brennan Johnson has looked a-bit shite so far.
He has some interesting physical tools but yeah he's been a bit shit whenever I've seen him.Put in a nice assist today though.

Seems to play better on the right and has been mostly used on the left hand side with Kulusevski playing on the right, but I personally think Kulusevski looks a lot better through the middle than he does on the right where he's very predictable.

Boycott

He comes across a decent guy with charisma. I think Spurs injuries might have to do with his methods though as they don't play that many games.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
He's done really well in a short space of time. It must be nice watching a team with a clear identity and style of play.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If they have money to burn and manage to identify the right players in january, there is no reason why they shouldn't be preparing for a title challenge.

I haven't always been convinced by their gung-ho tactics but there is hard to argue against them probably being top of the league if they had not been ravaged by injuries. You could say that about a few teams this year though but I think Spurs has had the worst luck, and they still have probably amassed the most impressive points tally in relation to expectations
Their target will simply be top 4. Or 5th as that easily could be CL this season.

It's easy to say title challenges but ultimately they were top going into November, imploded in that Chelsea game and then lost 4/5.

To win the league nowadays you need around 85-90 points given Man. City could just win ten straight like they did between March-April last season.

Spurs currently can only get a maximum of 93 points and I really can't see them dropping fewer than 10 points for the rest of the season even if they get injured players get soonish.

I think when you look at the competitors Liverpool are only ones that can push Man. City now as they have Salah who can win tight games out of little and their spine has the knowledge of at least pushing Man. City until the end.

The others will just be happy to make CL.

Guy Incognito

They are playing a game a week in the new year, and with players to come back, they should be fine for a top four finish.

Still think his tactics are going to be questioned, particularly in his second season - balancing multiple competitions.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
They are playing a game a week in the new year, and with players to come back, they should be fine for a top four finish.

Still think his tactics are going to be questioned, particularly in his second season - balancing multiple competitions.
Why?

If anything, his tactics will be far better suited by the time he has options from the bench.

It’s beyond impressive what he’s done so far with a very average squad and players who couldn’t get a look in last year.

He’s 3 first team players and 3 decent bench options away from a very impressive squad.

Redstain

Fantastic philosophy, hear what Keane said in the overlap few weeks ago that he admired Sir Alex for being a risk taker and would gamble in certain elements of games in order to win. It's a feat of great managers.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Injuries and suspensions have really impacted their season, but with everyone fit the first team is not bad by any stretch. The attacking block of Son, Kulusevski, Maddison, Richarlison is good, although I dont overly rate Richarlison, but to be fair to him he is in good form at the moment.

The midfield duo of Bentancur and Bissouma will be a handful for any team when they are back and fit. And the first team defense is solid with VDV and Romero at the back.

It's just that as soon as you start looking at bench options things are not so good, the only game ready CB they have is Dier who is far too slow for that ridiculous high line they play, Dont think much of Solomon and Gil, Johnson I guess is ok as a squad player but with the injuries he is pretty much being called on to play every game. Skip and Hojbjerg are not really what is needed in midfield as neither are very good in the pivot and their distribution is poor. They are just run of the mill midfield destroyers, nothing more. Sarr is good, has a great engine and puts himself about. Both their fullbacks Porro and Udogie have been good and for me their keeper Vicario has been their best player this season so far, surprised he is not getting talked about more.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Injuries and suspensions have really impacted their season, but with everyone fit the first team is not bad by any stretch. The attacking block of Son, Kulusevski, Maddison, Richarlison is good, although I dont overly rate Richarlison, but to be fair to him he is in good form at the moment.

The midfield duo of Bentancur and Bissouma will be a handful for any team when they are back and fit. And the first team defense is solid with VDV and Romero at the back.

It's just that as soon as you start looking at bench options things are not so good, the only game ready CB they have is Dier who is far too slow for that ridiculous high line they play, Dont think much of Solomon and Gil, Johnson I guess is ok as a squad player but with the injuries he is pretty much being called on to play every game. Skip and Hojbjerg are not really what is needed in midfield as neither are very good in the pivot and their distribution is poor. They are just run of the mill midfield destroyers, nothing more. Sarr is good, has a great engine and puts himself about. Both their fullbacks Porro and Udogie have been good and for me their keeper Vicario has been their best player this season so far, surprised he is not getting talked about more.
Says a lot. They have had their fair share of injury woes like we have and have done way better with a team slightly worse than ours.

RVN1991

Really making a lot of people that questioned him look like proper mugs.

Blood Mage

The coach we thought we were getting in ETH. Doubt he'd have us pumping long balls to Rashford every game.

The Hilton

His tactics today seemed heavily based around winning corners and set pieces, rather than creating much in open play. It worked well until we added some height to our team, clearly looked like a weakness they'd identified and setup to exploit.

I do wonder how well they'd be doing with European football to juggle too, their setup requires a lot of running, lots of pace all over the park, and they seem as vulnerable as we are in transition. There's a decent change we'll see next season.

Conor

Not sure what makes people think he's the messiah after today's game.

RuudTom83

Plenty of coaches have done well for 6–12 month periods. It’s just rare for any of them to do well past 2 seasons or more.

So let’s wait and see, they are still in the honeymoon period post Conte.

Plenty of Spurs sides have played exciting football before.

Bwuk

Oh god its starting again :lol:

Based on what?

He's sitting 5th the league table behind Emery and Arteta who are also balancing European football. He's also spent 250 Mn+ in the 6 months he's been here so not as if his hands are tied.
They lost arguably the best striker in the world, and improved. If it hadn’t been for injuries and missing players I don’t think it’s outrageous to suggest Spurs could be close to top.

RVN1991

Oh god its starting again :lol:

Based on what?

He's sitting 5th the league table behind Emery and Arteta who are also balancing European football. He's also spent 250 Mn+ in the 6 months he's been here so not as if his hands are tied.
Who would have thought they'd be an improved side after losing Kane and dealing with injuries for the bulk of the season ?

I bet most would've had them closer to tenth than first and there they are playing attractive football and getting results. Far cry from the Mourinho/Nuno/Conte era when they were getting neither.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
They lost arguably the best striker in the world, and improved. If it hadn’t been for injuries and missing players I don’t think it’s outrageous to suggest Spurs could be close to top.
Who would have thought they'd be an improved side after losing Kane and dealing with injuries for the bulk of the season ?

I bet most would've had them closer to tenth than first and there they are playing attractive football and getting results. Far cry from the Mourinho/Nuno/Conte era when they were getting neither.
How are we defining improved? They're sitting in the same place as they were this time last year after 21 games (5th) and are only 4 points better off. Even though they lost Kane, you would still expect them to do something given they spent 270 mn in the last 6 months.

In terms of injuries, you could argue City would've been further ahead if it hadn't been for De Bruyne and Rodri missing games. You could argue Arsenal would've been better off if Partey and Timber weren't missing and we hadn't lost Odegaard, Jesus, Tomi for parts of the season. Every team has injuries, they're at least in a better position as they don't have play European football.

Son

He’s managed 20 years longer than Ten Hag. The guy paid his dues more than our manager and seemingly is the better of the two experience wise.

His football is brilliant at times given that Spurs squad. I actually think he can step up again given his experience in the sport to a Bayern or somewhere and do a fine job.

He’s a man who obviously sticks by his way of playing or the highway and you’ve got to respect it.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He’s done a good job so far in the Prem but I don’t get the fawning over him.

I don’t think Spurs were that good today - just a lot better at the basics ie having a cohesive midfield and being better at set plays. We still managed to get in and around their box with relative ease and maybe would have been more threatening if Rashers had last season’s form.

redshaw

Passed it well and with Son and Maddison they would have a lot more cutting edge and killed us off. Of course both teams have injuries and we can make many teams look good. Overall he's come to Spurs and got them into a good passing system and play attractive football most games which will always get plaudits and seemingly a likable guy that players respect and want to play for.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
He’s managed 20 years longer than Ten Hag. The guy paid his dues more than our manager and seemingly is the better of the two experience wise.

His football is brilliant at times given that Spurs squad. I actually think he can step up again given his experience in the sport to a Bayern or somewhere and do a fine job.

He’s a man who obviously sticks by his way of playing or the highway and you’ve got to respect it.
I agree with a piece of this. You get the impression reading the forum he has just started or something, the guy has been managing since 96, he is closing in on 60.

But for me, not yet ready to step up to one of the European giants, I want to see how he gets on at Spurs for a year or 2. Say what you will about Pochettino but he took Spurs to a CL final before he got his chance with PSG.