Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

slored1

I saw mentions somewhere that Spurs want to go the Brighton route, well guess who was Brighton's second choice after De Zerbi?

Not sure how good is he but surely can't be worse than Nuno.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Genuine question

What sets him apart from all those other Celtic managers who won everything?
I think it is the style with which he won, coupled with recruitment that was done on a budget and transformed the team. Both of those would be very attractive qualities for someone like Levy.

My worry for Spurs and their fans would be that he did, undeniably, look naive in Europe. Was that a result of lesser players not being able to fully implement his vision, or was it naive tactics teams were able to exploit?

I guess Spurs are about to find that out.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Genuine question

What sets him apart from all those other Celtic managers who won everything?
Likes of Ronny Delia and Lennon in both spells played awful football despite winning the title.

Spurs are going to have to take a step back in next few seasons before they come again so makes sense to hire someone who can promote youth and also find some reasonably players from abroad as he's done at Celtic.

RVN1991

I think it is the style with which he won, coupled with recruitment that was done on a budget and transformed the team. Both of those would be very attractive qualities for someone like Levy.

My worry for Spurs and their fans would be that he did, undeniably, look naive in Europe. Was that a result of lesser players not being able to fully implement his vision, or was it naive tactics teams that were able to exploit his attacking style?

I think they'll be similar to us this year, where they will look brilliant at times but then get absolutely pumped 5-1 against the likes of City, Liverpool and Brentford.

Probably another finish outside the top four though.

RVN1991

I saw mentions somewhere that Spurs want to go the Brighton route, well guess who was Brighton's second choice after De Zerbi?

Not sure how good is he but surely can't be worse than Nuno.
Thought he was their first choice but then turned to De Zerbi after he turned them down?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

My worry for Spurs and their fans would be that he did, undeniably, look naive in Europe. Was that a result of lesser players not being able to fully implement his vision, or was it naive tactics teams were able to exploit?

A budget that dwarfed every other team in the league of course. ;)

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
A budget that dwarfed every other team in the league of course. ;)
Of course, but Brighton are showing that there are many untapped markets in terms of recruitment and he brought some fantastic players to Celtic for what would be a pittance in PL terms. Who is to say that those players couldn’t boost a Premier League team? I would suggest that Kyogo certainly could.

The biggest question will be tactically. It might well be a smash hit, but as suggested above, I think top teams will blow them away with that play style. There are a lot of great managers in the PL now and I think he might well prove to be too open for the top level.

JagUTD

Isn't he a bit young to retire from football management?

glasgow 21

Spurs are going to have to take a step back in next few seasons before they come again so makes sense to hire someone who can promote youth and also find some reasonably players from abroad as he's done at Celtic.
If it doesn't work out for him he can always substitute for Ray Winstone as a voice over on Bet 365

C'est Moi Cantona

Really surprised they didn't go for Potter after been rejected by their first choices.

Imagine the potential banter if Potter transformed them, and Poch crashed and burned at Chelsea.

Very much doubt Postecoglou will see the season out unless he's well above most current premiership managers.

lsd

The Oracle
If he goes to Spurs I'm certainly not going to write him off as a joke after I learned my lesson in doing that when he went to Celtic.

It could be a very smart move for Spurs

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
We've seen, time after time, what happens when a manager who's been successful in Glasgow comes down to the PL.

I doubt that it will work out well for them.

Apart from SAF, who has been successful in transferring from Scotland to England?

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
If he goes to Spurs I'm certainly not going to write him off as a joke after I learned my lesson in doing that when he went to Celtic.

It could be a very smart move for Spurs
Yes, I think like with De Zerbi many are in for a surprise with Ange Postecoglou.

Good manager on the pitch and has an eye in the market. He has a good personality as well.

This is a good appointment for Spurs, and if they have a good summer, they will be challenging for the top 4 next season.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Yep, and it's hardly just at Celtic either. Obviously it's another level down again, but his Brisbane Roar team is probably the best club team in Australian history. Completely dominant and unbelievably good to watch, they were dubbed the 'A-League Barcelona' (this was at the time of Pep's Barca dominating in a way that had never been seen before).

I don't know if he'll end up being good enough long-term, but unless something goes badly wrong I expect Spurs will develop into a great team to watch for the neutrals. Even if it doesn't end up working out, the basics and building blocks should be there to put the next manager in a great starting spot (unless they go for a completely different style of manager like what we spent the last decade doing).

poleglass red

We've seen, time after time, what happens when a manager who's been successful in Glasgow comes down to the PL.

I doubt that it will work out well for them.

Apart from SAF, who has been successful in transferring from Scotland to England?
Rodgers had a decent spell I guess initially, 2 top 5 finishes and first FA win in the clubs history, didn't end well for him

Rockets Redglare

Rodgers had a decent spell I guess initially, 2 top 5 finishes and first FA win in the clubs history, didn't end well for him
He was a premier league manager who went to Scotland and came back though, and before Celtic he’d only managed in England.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
At the very least, it's an exciting punt. I've been hugely impressed with him at Celtic. I'd be delighted if I was a Spurs fan.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
At the very least, it's an exciting punt. I've been hugely impressed with him at Celtic. I'd be delighted if I was a Spurs fan.
I don't know much about him to be honest but he will have my full support and I hope it works out.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He'd be the first Aussie manager in the Premier League right?

Let's hope he Foster's good relationships at Tottenham and he doesn't take Spurs down under.

I'm so lonely

Chief123

Another terrible decision in a long series of terrible decisions by Spurs. Welcome to Tottenham Hotspur.

At this point, it’s becoming an insult to other teams in the league when referring to Spurs as one of the big clubs.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I’m not really against his appointment if it happens, he knows what he’s doing and has an old school way of looking at things. I simply don’t see how our overpaid players will react to his *Fergie way* of doing things.

SB16

Quite interested to see how he fares at Spurs. A more progressive manager than their last two so in that sense already on the front foot with the fans I would guess. If he's able to replicate the stye of his Celtic team (a tall ask given the makeup of the Spurs squad) it will be intriguing to follow their development over the next season.

Joel Miller

Style wise he’s an bit of a one trick pony and his inside knowledge of the Asian market isn’t going to be anything like as useful in the Premier League as it was in Scotland so I can see this ending in tears. For a look at how that style works when he doesn’t have far and away the strongest squad in the land, see his European record.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Knowing Levy, I guess Spurs strategy is to cut wage budget and offload expensive players. Postecoglou won’t be tasked with CL qualification.

Spurs have no resources to compete with Newcastle, Arsenal or us.

CallyRed

I rate him. Think he will do a good job. Be interesting to see who his transfer targets will be, not sure he could raid the J league like he could at Celtic.

RVN1991

Knowing Levy, I guess Spurs strategy is to cut wage budget and offload expensive players. Postecoglou won’t be tasked with CL qualification.

Spurs have no resources to compete with Newcastle, Arsenal or us.
This might be the biggest myth in football. Are they owned by an oil state like Newcastle? no. They are far from skint though, they made the most revenue of any football club in past year, have spent money since their 2019 final, but their recruitment has been shocking. 60m for Richarlison, 60M for Ndombele, 55 for Lo Celso, 40 for Porro, another 40 for Romero. Levy is a cheap cnut who'd rather make the smart deal over the better one but they definitely have the resources just the wrong people in charge of making the decisions.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Shouldn't be allowed a free run at some of his players at Celtic. Real potential there we should be taking.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
This might be the biggest myth in football. Are they owned by an oil state like Newcastle? no. They are far from skint though, they made the most revenue of any football club in past year, have spent money since their 2019 final, but their recruitment has been shocking. 60m for Richarlison, 60M for Ndombele, 55 for Lo Celso, 40 for Porro, another 40 for Romero. Levy is a cheap cnut who'd rather make the smart deal over the better one but they definitely have the resources just the wrong people in charge of making the decisions.
Levy coasts long off the back of two or three faux-strongman stories from his client-journo mates.

He gets MUGGED by almost all the clubs he purchases from. He can’t pick a manager and ends up paying all of them off. They pissed away all the Bale money and the club has never had a footballing direction.

He’s Woodward with better media friends. 100% have to hand it to him that he’s maximised Spurs as a business. He’s made out like gang busters through hood business acumen and is on set to be a billionaire. That’s all he cares about.

If he was asked to give up 25% of his untold wealth to see Spurs win the CL and PL double, he’d laugh at you.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Spurs have no resources to improve their squad up to Arsenal, Newcastle and our level next season. They need to replace 10 players.
So, no hope for CL money for a while. Rebuild is expensive. Levy won’t inject money, so he is preparing to cut expenses and fight for a mid table place.

NoPace

I do think that there are players there that have been written off, that he will find a use for (Spence, Bissouma) and there may not be the same holes that people are imagining in their squad. The front 3, for example, could be a real force.
He seems to use his fullbacks infield, so not sure that will suit Spence.

Son------Kane/Richarlison---------Kulusevski
--------------CM-------------Bentancur--------------------
--------LB---------Bissouma---------Porro--------------
-------------------LCB---------Romero----------------------

looks like they could play some attractive stuff, if he can get a left-side in. Big transition for their team to go from a 3-5-2 with wingbacks to this style, but they should be watchable again.

Reiver

He's going to be a good appointment. I've seen plenty of Celtic under him. He's probably the best manager I've seen in Scotland.
I think he'll get them properly challenging for top four again. If he can replicate his style with Spurs, the fans will love him. There's 2-3 players that are good enough to join him.