Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

rajds89

Im sure this is the sort of appointment that’ll make Harry Kane desperate to stay and fight for major honour, like the championship in a couple of years time.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Think it's more where Spurs are currently.

Kane probably leaving this summer, Son in general decline and a defence that shipped 60 + goals last season with two 36 year old keepers.

It's a harder situation to inherit at Spurs than what Mourinho and Conte had when they came in and will take 2-3 transfer windows to fix and that's with getting majority of signings right.
Plus there's a disconnect between the football strategy (is there actually one?) at Spurs and how Postecoglou plays. That adds time to the transition. If he gets the time though, they should kick on again.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Crazy how he didn't have to prove his credentials or learn his trade in the Championship or lower PL before being deemed qualified for Tottenham.
He has way more experience than Arteta had when Arsenal appointed him.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It all really depends how the players react to him, we have a lot of good attacking players, sadly we had 3 managers who aren’t noted for their attacking play. Ange is at the total other end of the spectrum with how he wants his teams to play. I’m not saying he is gonna be a success by any stretch of the imagination but he is certainly a better fit with the players we have.
You obviously watch him every week compared to me, Son in decline?

From what I've seen he can still finish fine but struggling now to accelerate away from a CB or RB so I think he's lost a yard of pace somewhere.

I think that's a huge issue for Spurs as in previous seasons Kane would get injured and miss a month or two and all you had to do was stick Son to CF and results would stay largely the same.

Mourinho coming in was getting peak Son, Conte also got one of the best scoring six months of his career out of him in 2022 aswell so with Kane's future very uncertain that's the first thing that can trip Ange up unless Kuluveski is going to be rattling in wonder goals every week (still have to sign him permanently).

CallyRed

Looking forward to a manager saying "mate" in every other sentence

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You obviously watch him every week compared to me, Son in decline?

From what I've seen he can still finish fine but struggling now to accelerate away from a CB or RB so I think he's lost a yard of pace somewhere.

I think that's a huge issue for Spurs as in previous seasons Kane would get injured and miss a month or two and all you had to do was stick Son to CF and results would stay largely the same.

Mourinho coming in was getting peak Son, Conte also got one of the best scoring six months of his career out of him in 2022 aswell so with Kane's future very uncertain that's the first thing that can trip Ange up unless Kuluveski is going to be rattling in wonder goals every week (still have to sign him permanently).
Honestly have no idea what’s up with Son, confidence seems rock bottom. He is purely an instinct player and he clear is doubting his own ability. I’m not saying Ange is gonna tear up the league but if he can show an improvement football wise I think most Spurs fans will be happy in the short term, I have watched the bigger games in Scotland I’d say maybe 5 or 6 last season and while not totally amazed I could certainly see a game plan and wanting to press hard and then hit as soon as possible. Of course the PL won’t be the same animal but he certainly can get players working for him. Again this could all go tits up, but as a football fan you have to have a little faith and hope for the best.

Mr Smith

As an Australian I've always rooted for Ange to do well, and I think taking this job is a huge mistake. Spurs are a poisoned chalice; many of their best players past their prime and leaving, one of seven clubs fighting an arms race for top four, with Levy's ego at the helm. It's so hard to imagine him being successful because there's no consensus of what success looks like at Spurs, and yet it's comfortably the biggest job he's ever had. Good luck to him, but I fear for Ange this ends in tears.

poleglass red

It's foolish to write him off, but it cannot be understated how much of a mammoth task it is to reconcile Spurs' (or Levy's) expectations and ambitions with the reality of their situation.

They want to be a top 4 club playing in the UCL. Ideally win some sort of trophy in the future. However there are 5 clubs ahead of them (City, Arsenal, United, Newcastle) who are in a better position in every meaningful way: better current squad, more money, settled managers. Spurs' position is like Chelsea's, a mismanaged squad and a team outside of Europe trying to get back in it. Yet Chelsea have way more money and in Poch a manager with EPL pedigree.

His task was nowhere near as hard at Celtic. In a 2-team league, he took the team that had won it 8 out of the last 9 times and had to freshen them up for a title challenge. And while he might be able to turn Spurs' fortunes around, the main question is if he will become a victim of Levy before he has time to do that. Arsenal put up with Arteta finishing 8th twice. At Spurs, Levy usually sacks managers who don't look like making top 4. It would be nothing short of an Herculean task to get top 4 from their current state and with the level of competition in this league.

that's a bit unfair, he came into a Celtic team that finished 25 points behind Rangers the previous season and was out on it's feet.For the longest time it was assumed Eddie Howe would be next Celtic manager, when that fell through at last minute and Ange was announced, he was a source of ridicule, not too disimiliar to what we are seeing now at Spurs. Not only did he turn that around with pretty much a new squad he assembled very quickly, but he did so playing a completely different style of football that was good to watch in comparison with what Lennon left. Also a bit of context to the team that won 8 out of the previous 9 SPL's, for 4 of them Rangers weren't even in the league, and could be argued for a few years after while rebuilding they weren't at the races, eg their first season back in 2016-2017 they were 3rd in league 39 points behind Celtic. Ange came into a team chasing Rangers unlike the previous mangers. No doubt the step up will be big, but I think at times his exploits at Celtic aren't fully appreciated.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He didn’t look that pressured, just wanted a little respect when he was talking.
Right because it was so disrespectful to ask him to speak a bit closer to the mic so they can hear.

If he cracks that easily the pressers are going to be hilarious.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Right because it was so disrespectful to ask him to speak a bit closer to the mic so they can hear.

If he cracks that easily the pressers are going to be hilarious.
Ummm I dunno where your from but it’s usually good manners to wait for a break in conversation before talking over someone.

i just found it a funny video.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
He has way more experience than Arteta had when Arsenal appointed him.
He's had 27 years in management, and won 7 league titles and also made Australia the Asian champions. But I don't expect to be able to convince people that anything that happened in Australia, Japan, or the Asian confederation matters.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He's had 27 years in management, and won 7 league titles and also made Australia the Asian champions. But I don't expect to be able to convince people that anything that happened in Australia, Japan or the Asian confederation matters.
@adexkola is posting that because people say that stuff about Lampard, Gerrard etc. who have 2 or 3 years experience. It's his little meme which doesn't really work in these examples.

Andersonson

Spurs is the worst club outside he could take, no? The fans wants top 6, the board wants top 4 and team is barely top 10 without Kane

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Hard to know how Spurs' fans (and players) will react to a dodgy start, if he has one.

Do they start going; "He did it at Celtic, that's no achievement." and start throwing the toys out of the pram. Or do they realise they're absolute shite and need to give a manager time.

Doesn't really matter since they're all beholden to the whims of Levy Luthor.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
@adexkola is posting that because people say that stuff about Lampard, Gerrard etc. who have 2 or 3 years experience. It's his little meme which doesn't really work in these examples.
Or most managers really!

It's really a stupid heuristic people use to cover their biases on whether managers will be successful at a given role.

My overall point is that there is no one or guaranteed path to top level managerial posts, as some would have you believe.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I think he’s class. First sensible thing spurs have done in years. If they follow it up by taking the money for Kane and overhauling the squad then they may actually be somewhere in a few years. It’s likely they won’t sell Kane though, convince themselves the squad is good enough to compete now and have sacked Ange by Xmas.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He will firm them up - might not be nailed on top four but not going to be as shit as this year anyway thats for sure

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
4 year deal is pretty mad, what will they do if they are bottom half at Christmas? I think it's a massive gamble.
Fire him and bring someone else. Let's not pretend they will actually be forced to persist with him for 4 years if he doesn't meet expectations, no club ever has. We gave Moyes 6-year deal and he was gone after less than a year.

He seems like a good manager though. I think he'll be a success but will probably not match Levy's expectations.

quadrant

Basically impossible to say how good he is, since success in Scotland is such a difficult thing to translate to England. But Spurs are a mess, and even mid-table teams like Fulham, Wolves and Villa have some pretty solid managers these days, never mind the top 4 contenders. So its hard not to be sceptical about how he'll do.

mancsarered

His press conferences will be comedy - he is so effing dry with the media.

Rojofiam

Think he'd be a good appointment long-term if Spurs back him, because their current squad isn't suited to him and is quite shit too. If Levy is expecting miracles from this guy right away, then it will be a short lived stint for Ange at Spurs.

Also, don't get why Levy won't sell Kane this summer. Would grant some funds for their much needed rebuild and provide a great excuse for him as to why fans should remain patient and not expect results for the next 2 years at least. Instead they will likely lose him for free and not make top 4 or win a trophy this upcoming season either.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Could be hit or miss. Hard to say how good a manager is when you’re managing Celtic and only competing with 1 team.

Blood Mage

Maybe Spurs have an incredible team of data analysts who have determined that this guy is mint? Seems to be a bit of a weird gamble otherwise.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Basically impossible to say how good he is, since success in Scotland is such a difficult thing to translate to England. But Spurs are a mess, and even mid-table teams like Fulham, Wolves and Villa have some pretty solid managers these days, never mind the top 4 contenders. So its hard not to be sceptical about how he'll do.
His coaching career and history is much much more than what he did with Celtic. The way his teams play, what his former players say about his coaching are good indicators of how he might do. He didnt just win with Celtic which isnt really that hard but he did completely turn them around from a season where they finished 25 points behind Rangers.
People were saying things of a similar sentiment that you are saying when he took over at Celtic.
People underestimate him because they arent familiar with him and fall into the trap of thinking you need to be a big name to succeed in the EPL. He has all the right coaching skills needed to succeed.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Think it's more where Spurs are currently.

Kane probably leaving this summer, Son in general decline and a defence that shipped 60 + goals last season with two 36 year old keepers.

It's a harder situation to inherit at Spurs than what Mourinho and Conte had when they came in and will take 2-3 transfer windows to fix and that's with getting majority of signings right.
Yeah, pretty much this. They're in need of a squad rebuild and it's not at all certain Levy will give his manager the necessary resources to do it. Of their key players Kane, Son, Moura, Dier, Sanchez, Davies and Lloris will likely all need to be replaced either this summer or the next and it's possible Lenglet and Kulusevski are leaving after their loans too so they'd need replacing as well. They have a few positions where they currently have players on long term contracts but who just haven't been all that good (ie. Romero, Emerson Royal, Bissouma).

If they're to lose Kane this summer, Postecoglou will have a hell of a job in his hands if he wants to make Spurs competitive for CL qualification.