Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Probably going to finish 5th?
Early in this thread someone made the comment that the Spurs board wanted 4th, the fans would accept 6th. Even if they do get 5th I cant help but feel like he hasnt done as well as he could have, the end of the season feels a bit deflating. I wonder if he will decide he needs to adjust his approach next season or if he will just carry on as he has.
Most likely he will keep going in his normal way which will mean a huge amount of scrutiny and pressure will head his way next season, far more than this season.

bosskeano

one of my best friends, who is a spurs lifetime supporter, is good mates with Ange as they were neighbors in japan while both there working before Ange took the job at Celtic. we were talking about that post match interview and he said Ange was spot on as the club and most supporters were more worried abotu arsenal winning the league then spurs winning and possibly getting back into the champions league.

Ange is a winner, he's used to winning. Spurs have that step child mentality which clearly came out in the last bit and frustration was evident with Ange.

I think he plays good, organized football....something we would all like to see at Old Trafford.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Fifth place after losing Harry Kane is not bad at all. The club needs to invest in the squad though.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Apart from the silliness yesterday in the stands and online fans, they have had an ok season. I would be worried that they didnt finish strong, they only started strong, so there was an actual decline over the season. But 5th is ok.

Maddison and Son are streaky players. Lots of folks fawning over the Maddison transfer at the beginning of the season, got less enthusiastic as the season went on.
Think Son is not the same player either. They need to sign a good source of goals for next season or they could go backwards instead of improving. Thing is how far can they improve. City and Arsenal will still be up there, it depends what happens with Liverpool, Villa will strengthen. Chelsea will inprove more through just getting more experience. You would think Newcastle will get better if they don't have as many injuries and spend some more money. Oh god that doesn't bode too well for my team. :(

renatosanches85

one of my best friends, who is a spurs lifetime supporter, is good mates with Ange as they were neighbors in japan while both there working before Ange took the job at Celtic. we were talking about that post match interview and he said Ange was spot on as the club and most supporters were more worried abotu arsenal winning the league then spurs winning and possibly getting back into the champions league.

Ange is a winner, he's used to winning. Spurs have that step child mentality which clearly came out in the last bit and frustration was evident with Ange.

I think he plays good, organized football....something we would all like to see at Old Trafford.
Where to start? You needed Ange’s “good mate” to tell you Spurs fans didn’t want Arsenal to win the league?

Organised football? Have you watched them? They defend on the half way line. Organised chaos maybe.

Winrar

Postecoglu sits at that tier below the top managers, along with other "hipster" managers in the mould of DeZerbi, Bielsa. Plays pretty football, sticks to his principles, but doesn't really have the tactical flexibility like Ancelotti to truly make a difference when things aren't exactly going his way, be it due to injuries, or matches themselves not panning out the way he wants to.

In a way, Spurs is the perfect fit for him. Even then he seems to have some standards and was super pissed that his supporters were cheering on the team losing. To be fair to him he has won smaller titles and trophies in his career.

bosskeano

Where to start? You needed Ange’s “good mate” to tell you Spurs fans didn’t want Arsenal to win the league?

Organised football? Have you watched them? They defend on the half way line. Organised chaos maybe.
No....i didn't need that but i think you missed the point. The spurs fans were more worried about Arsenal than winning the match and fighting to get into the champions league.

I have watched them a lot this season and yes they defend high but it's organized in what they do and yesterday against City was a prime example of how organized they are as a team.

A hell of a lot more so than what EtH has been doing for United and our midfield spacing

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No....i didn't need that but i think you missed the point. The spurs fans were more worried about Arsenal than winning the match and fighting to get into the champions league.

I have watched them a lot this season and yes they defend high but it's organized in what they do and yesterday against City was a prime example of how organized they are as a team.

A hell of a lot more so than what EtH has been doing for United and our midfield spacing
I back Ange and am in no way saying he should lose his job or anything......

But we have conceded 5 more goals than Man Utd in the league this season. This despite the fact that individually you could argue that each one of Vicario, Porro, VDV, Romero and Udogie have been amongst the best in their positions in the league this season. Or the fact that you have inexplicably had Johnny Evans play more than half of your league matches.

The defensive organisation needs a lot of improvement. Hopefully it will come.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Think Son is not the same player either. They need to sign a good source of goals for next season or they could go backwards instead of improving. Thing is how far can they improve. City and Arsenal will still be up there, it depends what happens with Liverpool, Villa will strengthen. Chelsea will inprove more through just getting more experience. You would think Newcastle will get better if they don't have as many injuries and spend some more money. Oh god that doesn't bode too well for my team. :(
They have done ok on the transfer front but not great. It's hard to see how their current lot moves the needle any further. They have generally a good bunch but nothing that stands out. Dont know what their academy looks like but they need get higher caliber players this summer.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The fanbase was probably split 50:50 regarding what they wanted but missing out on the CL is a bit strong. Even with a win, CL qualification would have been completely out of our hands. Its not at all equivalent.
The fact there us a 50:50 split at all is embarrassing and incredibly small time, and everything he's said is exactly right.

If that's the mentality he's up against he's got no chance of being successful. I can't think of another situation where a team and manager have gone into actually quite an important game with half their own fanbase willing them to lose.

Maybe fans toy with the idea but once the game comes around they're usually fully behind the team. Imagine how SAF, Pep etc. would react to their own fans telling them to throw a game just to spite another team

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The fact there us a 50:50 split at all is embarrassing and incredibly small time, and everything he's said is exactly right.

If that's the mentality he's up against he's got no chance of being successful. I can't think of another situation where a team and manager have gone into actually quite an important game with half their own fanbase willing them to lose.

Maybe fans toy with the idea but once the game comes around they're usually fully behind the team. Imagine how SAF, Pep etc. would react to their own fans telling them to throw a game just to spite another team
I imagine SAF and Pep would do what they've always done, which is manage their team without the slightest bit of regard about what idiotic random fans, pundits or otherwise may or may not be saying. Both managers have not been averse to sticking the boot in on their own fans in the past either.

Its fine. Whether he is or isn't successful will boil down to a huge variety of factors. Fan sentiment in a unique situation that I cant recall being replicated another time in the time Ive been supporting Spurs won't be one of them though.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Thing is you should be aiming to win, then think about the consequencies later. Other teams are not our problem, only our team matters. Same should be the aims of Spurs and their fans.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I imagine SAF and Pep would do what they've always done, which is manage their team without the slightest bit of regard about what idiotic random fans, pundits or otherwise may or may not be saying. Both managers have not been averse to sticking the boot in on their own fans in the past either.

Its fine. Whether he is or isn't successful will boil down to a huge variety of factors. Fan sentiment in a unique situation that I cant recall being replicated another time in the time Ive been supporting Spurs won't be one of them though.
How is it unique? Arsenal have been in title races multiple times in the last 20 years and you play them twice a season.

The only unique thing is I don't think most fans would be that silly to actively want their team to throw a game, to the point of yelling at the manager about it mid game.

And I think the point he is getting at is if that is the mentality of the club and fans, then by default you are never going to be as good as the teams actually competing to win things. Which is a perfectly valid and correct point. Arsenal shouldn't matter or even be relevant in the context of whether Tottenham need to win a football game, except for when you're playing Arsenal.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
How is it unique? Arsenal have been in title races multiple times in the last 20 years and you play them twice a season.

The only unique thing is I don't think most fans would be that silly to actively want their team to throw a game, to the point of yelling at the manager about it mid game.

And I think the point he is getting at is if that is the mentality of the club and fans, then by default you are never going to be as good as the teams actually competing to win things. Which is a perfectly valid and correct point. Arsenal shouldn't matter or even be relevant in the context of whether Tottenham need to win a football game, except for when you're playing Arsenal.
Admittedly I don't hold onto matches and events like some seem to but you'll have to jog my memory about instances when we've been playing our direct rival's title rival, in the penultimate game of the season, where a victory over that team will essentially hand Arsenal the title. I can't remember that scenario, could you remind me of which season that was?

You're right, we do play them twice a season. This season, we've given them 6 points. We've given City 4 points.

You're right as well, the mentality should be that Tottenham need to win a football game and I expect that was exactly what Ange's and the players' mentalities were. Despite hyperbole about what John from Brentwood is nattering on about in the crowd or a 'winning mentality' from the club that's the actual fundamental point about how the players and manager do.

CantonR

Aussie here - having watched his teams play over the years, I have to say he is definitely more versatile tactically than a lot of people here believe. Guess it seems that way based on the way Spurs have played this season, but he has managed to adapt and play different styles of football no matter where he has been, while always building a successful team. With the right signings he will definitely have them on an upward trajectory next season.

Reactions: Dargonk

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Admittedly I don't hold onto matches and events like some seem to but you'll have to jog my memory about instances when we've been playing our direct rival's title rival, in the penultimate game of the season, where a victory over that team will essentially hand Arsenal the title. I can't remember that scenario, could you remind me of which season that was?

You're right, we do play them twice a season. This season, we've given them 6 points. We've given City 4 points.

You're right as well, the mentality should be that Tottenham need to win a football game and I expect that was exactly what Ange's and the players' mentalities were. Despite hyperbole about what John from Brentwood is nattering on about in the crowd or a 'winning mentality' from the club that's the actual fundamental point about how the players and manager do.
4. If Arsenal had beaten us at The Emirates then the title would be in their hands.

Agree with your general point though.

Aussie here - having watched his teams play over the years, I have to say he is definitely more versatile tactically than a lot of people here believe. Guess it seems that way based on the way Spurs have played this season, but he has managed to adapt and play different styles of football no matter where he has been, while always building a successful team. With the right signings he will definitely have them on an upward trajectory next season.
I get the accusations at Ange only playing one way etc but it's funny that it's being said after a game where he did actually change it up quite a lot - and to good effect for the most part. Yesterday was an encouraging performance, though hard to say how much of that was Spurs' doing and how much was City just being a bit anxious.

PaulScholes99

"The last 18"

Newcastle, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Burnley, City.

They had the toughest run in, hardly threw it away
I kinda agree here, they didn't throw it away in the last 6 games. But the more worrying part is that after their nearly perfect start, they only got 37 points out of 27 games. With 71 points in total they would have secured champions league. This means, they only had to get 45 out of the last 28 games and they failed to do so.

I know they had at one point (after that excellent start) also a lot of injuries, but even with nearly the full squad they didn't perform well. And they had also a lot of rest, since they didn't play international and in the domestic cups lost in 1st and 2nd round. So only 41 games all season. So they should really have got the CL qualification after the start they had.

Still, I think they play quite good football and are close to being a very good team. It's far from guaranteed but at least for them one can see the foundations of a good team, while for us, there is just nothing positive.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The fanbase was probably split 50:50 regarding what they wanted but missing out on the CL is a bit strong. Even with a win, CL qualification would have been completely out of our hands. Its not at all equivalent.
It's not completely out of your hands because it would have been 66 pts to 68. Win and you still have a chance at CL with a Villa loss which isn't out of the question given their current form.

And it is similar because it's motivated by placing the hatred of someone else above your own well being.

If roles were reversed I'd be rooting for my team to win and embarrassed by chumps saying to throw the game.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His annoyance yesterday reminded me of Conte's rant about Spurs. fecking hell that was iconic

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's not completely out of your hands because it would have been 66 pts to 68. Win and you still have a chance at CL with a Villa loss which isn't out of the question given their current form.

And it is similar because it's motivated by placing the hatred of someone else above your own well being.

If roles were reversed I'd be rooting for my team to win and embarrassed by chumps saying to throw the game.
That's literally the definition of out of our hands. It doesn't mean that it wasn't possible. But it was objectively out of our hands and became increasingly so as we picked up 1.4 points a game from the past 27 games.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
That's literally the definition of out of our hands. It doesn't mean that it wasn't possible. But it was objectively out of our hands and became increasingly so as we picked up 1.4 points a game from the past 27 games.
Your performance still has an effect. I'd only say completely out of our hands if you'd finished 38 games and it depended entirely on other teams dropping points not the combination of you needing to win plus dropped points.

Either way, the mentality is similar to the own the libs types and frankly, embarrassing. Arsenal would, no doubt, have some mental fans if the roles were reversed and I'd call them out as well.

Joel Miller

Can’t fathom why people blow smoke up his arse. Has a stubborn attack with high line or nothing policy, yet has the brass neck to sit and talk about how he’s all about winning things and maybe it’s the players that need to sort themselves out.

Or he could always be pragmatic like any sane manager rather.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
In a way, Spurs is the perfect fit for him. Even then he seems to have some standards and was super pissed that his supporters were cheering on the team losing. To be fair to him he has won smaller titles and trophies in his career.
It is a bit strange how in the same season he basically accepted defeat against one of Spurs' biggest rivals by playing an insane highline with 9 men he suddenly decides being solid at the back is important just in time to try and beat City and potentially hand their other rivals the league.

Chipper

Adulterer.
There were Spurs staff members joking about playing the kids and trying to lose to stop Arsenal according to The Atheltic. Looks like that's what he was on about when saying the foundations at the club were fairly fragile and what the last 48 hours had revealed to him.

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
Can’t fathom why people blow smoke up his arse. Has a stubborn attack with high line or nothing policy, yet has the brass neck to sit and talk about how he’s all about winning things and maybe it’s the players that need to sort themselves out.

Or he could always be pragmatic like any sane manager rather.
Yup. I still remember the silly line about winning trophies: "I got real pictures, mate"

What pictures? Winning in Scotland, mate? Give me a break.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yup. I still remember the silly line about winning trophies: "I got real pictures, mate"

What pictures? Winning in Scotland, mate? Give me a break.
But he has real pictures. Winning leagues in Japan, Australia plus the Asian Cup with Australia. Just because it's on the other side of the world doesn't mean it doesn't count.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It is a bit strange how in the same season he basically accepted defeat against one of Spurs' biggest rivals by playing an insane highline with 9 men he suddenly decides being solid at the back is important just in time to try and beat City and potentially hand their other rivals the league.
With 9 men you almost always will lose no matter what you do. Sticking to the plan and the approach he prepared for that match didn't work, but still they were in that match and actually had chances. He gets criticised for losing that while actually they had chances to win that match.

Having time to prepare his team to play on a different way is something else than chaotically changing things mid-game.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Your performance still has an effect. I'd only say completely out of our hands if you'd finished 38 games and it depended entirely on other teams dropping points not the combination of you needing to win plus dropped points.

Either way, the mentality is similar to the own the libs types and frankly, embarrassing. Arsenal would, no doubt, have some mental fans if the roles were reversed and I'd call them out as well.
That's a really odd definition of it not being in your hands. We could have beaten Man City 8-0 and Sheffield United 8-0 and still ended up 5th.

That's the very literal definition of it not being in your hands.

It doesn't mean that you don't try to win the games in your control, regardless.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
There were Spurs staff members joking about playing the kids and trying to lose to stop Arsenal according to The Atheltic. Looks like that's what he was on about when saying the foundations at the club were fairly fragile and what the last 48 hours had revealed to him.
If this is true, they need a dressing down. Awful.

Robbie Boy

That's a really odd definition of it not being in your hands. We could have beaten Man City 8-0 and Sheffield United 8-0 and still ended up 5th.

That's the very literal definition of it not being in your hands.

It doesn't mean that you don't try to win the games in your control, regardless.
You're spot on. What a weird take that other poster has.

Mike Smalling

His annoyance yesterday reminded me of Conte's rant about Spurs. fecking hell that was iconic
There was a post on Reddit yesterday, where they put together clips from press conferences with Mourinho, Conte, and Postecoglou all talking about or alluding to the mentality of Spurs and the problems within the club. There really must be something to it. Also made me rewatch that Conte rant, and it's glorious.

SirAF

Ageist
But he has real pictures. Winning leagues in Japan, Australia plus the Asian Cup with Australia. Just because it's on the other side of the world doesn't mean it doesn't count.
In the context of being in the Big Time (Premier League) it does.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
In the context of being in the Big Time (Premier League) it does.
Mate, we are talking about Spurs here. Spurs won nothing, mate. Ange won titles - yes, only in smaller leagues. But in the context of Spurs I'll always back him to be a winner and rightfully talking about winning stuff above the sorry bunch of losers being around that club forever.