Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

Oldyella

There were Spurs staff members joking about playing the kids and trying to lose to stop Arsenal according to The Atheltic. Looks like that's what he was on about when saying the foundations at the club were fairly fragile and what the last 48 hours had revealed to him.
No wonder he was in a prickly mood then.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Aussie here - having watched his teams play over the years, I have to say he is definitely more versatile tactically than a lot of people here believe. Guess it seems that way based on the way Spurs have played this season, but he has managed to adapt and play different styles of football no matter where he has been, while always building a successful team. With the right signings he will definitely have them on an upward trajectory next season.
People will conveniently ignore the tons of injuries they had during the season, and basically he made a full season without a proper left back or striker.
Had to rely Son as the main forward, but that means the team lost fire on the left wing.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
That's a really odd definition of it not being in your hands. We could have beaten Man City 8-0 and Sheffield United 8-0 and still ended up 5th.

That's the very literal definition of it not being in your hands.

It doesn't mean that you don't try to win the games in your control, regardless.
But you losing 100% takes you out of the running so you do still have some control just not total control. You said "completely" and it's not completely out of your hands if your own results still make a difference.

Anyway, enough going back and forth on this meaningless semantic tangent.

Last edited:

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Mate, we are talking about Spurs here. Spurs won nothing, mate. Ange won titles - yes, only in smaller leagues. But in the context of Spurs I'll always back him to be a winner and rightfully talking about winning stuff above the sorry bunch of losers being around that club forever.
Relax. They are still dreaming about appointing Xabi Alonso as their next manager.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Have to feel for the man. The definition of "I've made a huge mistake", that post game press conference.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
Postecoglou: "That's probably the worst experience I've had as a football manager in a game. "Once I realised I'd got it wrong in terms of what the atmosphere was going to be like and what people felt. I got a real anxiety within me of, what happens if Man City, the best team in the world, who were disposing of teams quite easily in the lead up - four at
Have to feel for the man. The definition of "I've made a huge mistake", that post game press conference.
Genuinely feel bad for him. Poor guy is traumatised. His mentality is bigger than the club he's managing.

AdNani

Yup. I still remember the silly line about winning trophies: "I got real pictures, mate"

What pictures? Winning in Scotland, mate? Give me a break.
is winning in scotland not acceptable? i'm a United fan from scotland but the attitude from some fans on here is absolutely shocking, celtic and rangers are both big clubs with the highest. of expectations.

he was fantastic at celtic and has also implemented a style at Spurs far quicker than our own manager and whilst in his first season after selling their one world class player, he's considerably out performed us on a smaller budget. but yeah, scotland mate, give me a break

SirAF

Ageist
is winning in scotland not acceptable? i'm a United fan from scotland but the attitude from some fans on here is absolutely shocking, celtic and rangers are both big clubs with the highest. of expectations.

he was fantastic at celtic and has also implemented a style at Spurs far quicker than our own manager and whilst in his first season after selling their one world class player, he's considerably out performed us on a smaller budget. but yeah, scotland mate, give me a break
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scottish_football_champions

Grande

Not in the 21st century, no.

Unless you think Brendan Rodgers, Neil Lennon or Ronny Deila are prime candidates for a top PL job.
Rogers came second in the PL, not so far off winning it, that’s a top job in the PL. Deila not so much. All it proves that you can win the SPL with Celtic/Rangers without being able to lead at the top of PL, but can also be able to lead at the top of the PL, and still win the SPL.

diarm

He’s too good for Spurs.

I don’t even mean as a manager. Just as a bloke.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Not in the 21st century, no.

Unless you think Brendan Rodgers, Neil Lennon or Ronny Deila are prime candidates for a top PL job.
However consistently improving clubs and National teams with each step he has taken is worth considering. Every time he has stepped up a league etc he has done well.

jem

Just watching his press conference - the guy is as charismatic as they come. Hopefully being Spurs manager doesn’t ruin him.

Irwin99

He's truly begun to understand the mentality of the club he's at. Jose tried, Conte tried and now this guy is seeing it too.

ANYONE, absolutely anyone could have told you that Palace away for Villa was going to be a horrible horrible game and that Arsenal still had to beat Everton (which, as of writing, they're not doing anyway). If the atmosphere had been better against City they'd be in top 4 right now. Absolute joke of a club and it wont change until their fans acknowledge it

SER19

Just watching his press conference - the guy is as charismatic as they come. Hopefully being Spurs manager doesn’t ruin him.
i really like his attitude. they looked well drilled and hard working against city too. Dare I say Id have him here at a gamble.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
He's truly begun to understand the mentality of the club he's at. Jose tried, Conte tried and now this guy is seeing it too.

ANYONE, absolutely anyone could have told you that Palace away for Villa was going to be a horrible horrible game and that Arsenal still had to beat Everton (which, as of writing, they're not doing anyway). If the atmosphere had been better against City they'd be in top 4 right now. Absolute joke of a club and it wont change until their fans acknowledge it
Yeah, focus on that game as the reason for missing out on top 4 and not the four losses that preceded it. Laughable take to suggest that all Spurs needed to beat City was for all of their fans to agree that winning would be the best outcome. Not to mention that Villa have been on the beach all week, no one knows what would have happened today but they certainly wouldn't have lost 5-0 had they needed to actually do something.

Not even convinced CL would have been the best thing for us at this stage anyway.

frostbite

Yeah, focus on that game as the reason for missing out on top 4 and not the four losses that preceded it. Laughable take to suggest that all Spurs needed to beat City was for all of their fans to agree that winning would be the best outcome. Not to mention that Villa have been on the beach all week, no one knows what would have happened today but they certainly wouldn't have lost 5-0 had they needed to actually do something.

Not even convinced CL would have been the best thing for us at this stage anyway.
That's really a loser attitude!

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
That's really a loser attitude!
CL means greater demands on an already thin squad. EL should allow us to rotate more effectively as well as giving a chance to some of the young players we have coming through. Arsenal finished 5th but went on to challenge for the league the following two seasons, Spurs finished 4th and bombed. Newcastle the same. CL doesn't guarantee anything and imo can be a detriment in some cases.

OverratedOpinion

Considering the predictions and general view around the club when he arrived then losing Kane and not replacing him, he has done very well.

Irwin99

Yes let's focus on that one because it was your last chance. You were at home in your final home game of the season, your manager wanted an electric atmosphere and said himself he was shocked at what he found. Maybe you'd still lose the game if the fans had been more on your side, but it can't have hurt though. If you'd beaten City, Villa's fixture was a pretty horrible one away from home and you had the easiest final fixture imaginable. It really was there for you.

Also, that's always such a weird thing to say about the CL too, even when United fans say something similar like ' there's no point in being in the champions league, because we'd never win it anyway'. The point is you get better opportunities to strengthen the squad, more money for better players, and an excitement around the club.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what I think, your manager made the point perfectly. Personally, as a United fan I'd much rather see Spurs do well than City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea etc but your club doesn't make it easy.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal

I know exactly what you mean.

I'm really glad we didn't win the league this year. I'm not convinced it would have been the best thing for us at this stage anyway.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Yes let's focus on that one because it was your last chance. You were at home in your final home game of the season, your manager wanted an electric atmosphere and said himself he was shocked at what he found. Maybe you'd still lose the game if the fans had been more on your side, but it can't have hurt though. If you'd beaten City, Villa's fixture was a pretty horrible one away from home and you had the easiest final fixture imaginable. It really was there for you.

Also, that's always such a weird thing to say about the CL too, even when United fans say something similar like ' there's no point in being in the champions league, because we'd never win it anyway'. The point is you get better opportunities to strengthen the squad, more money for better players, and an excitement around the club.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what I think, your manager made the point perfectly. Personally, as a United fan I'd much rather see Spurs do well than City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea etc but your club doesn't make it easy.
I'm still happy with how it turned out. All this season would have been remembered for was the year that Spurs won Arsenal the league and how Son became a bigger Arsenal legend than a Spurs one. I'll give up a year in the CL for that. It's not like all the other years we've had CL ultimately amounted to anything. I hope we give the EL a good crack next season and push on in the league.

As for our manager, he has said all season that CL doesn't guarantee anything and that his goal isn't to just finish in the top 4 so it seems our thoughts are aligned.

OverratedOpinion

I'm still happy with how it turned out. All this season would have been remembered for was the year that Spurs won Arsenal the league and how Son became a bigger Arsenal legend than a Spurs one. I'll give up a year in the CL for that. It's not like all the other years we've had CL ultimately amounted to anything. I hope we give the EL a good crack next season and push on in the league.

As for our manager, he has said all season that CL doesn't guarantee anything and that his goal isn't to just finish in the top 4 so it seems our thoughts are aligned.
This is really embarrassing. I find the football stereotypes mostly annoying but this is about as "spursy" as it gets.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
I know exactly what you mean.

I'm really glad we didn't win the league this year. I'm not convinced it would have been the best thing for us at this stage anyway.
Yeah completely agree. Winning the league at this stage would have been devastating for you. I think placing second puts you in a much better spot to continue building towards winning a league title in the future.

Mark Wuhlberg

Supports
Manchester City
Exactly, anyone can win in Scotland
SAF won in Scotland, was given a chance at United and became a legend. I think Ange would do better at a bigger club aiming for trophies, like maybe Utd.

Last edited:

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
This is really embarrassing. I find the football stereotypes mostly annoying but this is about as "spursy" as it gets.
We're in a competition next season that we have a better chance of winning. Isn't that the point of football?

I've often been told that top 4 isn't a trophy but now I'm expected to treat it like one?

Reiver

SAF won in Scotland, was given a chance at United and became a legend. I think Ange would do better at a bigger club aiming for trophies, like maybe Utd.
SAF was successful in Scotland at a time it was possible for any of the bigger teams domestically. When you combine this with the success he had in Europe his achievements are notable.
Ange took over a Celtic side that are practically guaranteed to be at least second best but, considering Rangers still have financial issues, should win the league and more. It was the way he won things which was impressive. His Celtic team were as entertaining as any team I've ever seen. I thought he would be a great fit for Spurs with his style of football. Would he a be a good fit for us? I think he would - never a dull moment, that's for sure.

OverratedOpinion

We're in a competition next season that we have a better chance of winning. Isn't that the point of football?

I've often been told that top 4 isn't a trophy but now I'm expected to treat it like one?
It's not a trophy, but it is objectively better and more prestigious which is what you should want for your club. With that said focusing on your much bigged neighbours above yourself is what's so spursy and embarrassing.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
It's not a trophy, but it is objectively better and more prestigious which is what you should want for your club. With that said focusing on your much bigged neighbours above yourself is what's so spursy and embarrassing.
Do I need to post clips of Arsenal fans saying they would give up the Europa League final against Chelsea if it meant Spurs not winning the Champions League? It goes both ways despite what you think.

Champions League is objectively a bigger and more prestigious tournament but that doesn't mean there aren't benefits to being in the Europa - the major one being that we have a far greater chance of winning it.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Do I need to post clips of Arsenal fans saying they would give up the Europa League final against Chelsea if it meant Spurs not winning the Champions League? It goes both ways despite what you think.

Champions League is objectively a bigger and more prestigious tournament but that doesn't mean there aren't benefits to being in the Europa - the major one being that we have a far greater chance of winning it.
Other fans saying stupid things doesn't make what you said any less stupid.

SirBillNic

Supports
Spurs

I'm not sure that's true though, we've done far better in the CL than Europa the last 10 years. We've never come close to a Europa league final.

Personally I wanted us to win against City and get 4th but I also understand the point of view of fans who didn't want that. I do agree a season in Europa can help us develop the team a lot but still would have been better to be competing in the Champions League, no question.

OverratedOpinion

You're right, Arsenal fans definitely haven't been mocked for their small time mentality for the majority of the last 15 years.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
But he has real pictures. Winning leagues in Japan, Australia plus the Asian Cup with Australia. Just because it's on the other side of the world doesn't mean it doesn't count.
No, no. If it's not in England then it's obviously irrelevant.

Anyone can win in Scotland apparently. Funny how that doesn't apply to the farmer's league south of the border that's dominated by one team every season.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

No, no. If it's not in England then it's obviously irrelevant.

Anyone can win in Scotland apparently. Funny how that doesn't apply to the farmer's league south of the border that's dominated by one team every season.
You only have to look at the players who feature for the third best team in Scotland to get an understanding of how poor the league is. There's a 25 year old Japanese player can't get a callup for his country and a 23 year old Australian who hasn't had an international cap either. This is why dominating the SPL is a lot less impressive than dominating the PL.

Ludens the Red

All things considered that’s a very good first season. Complete 360 in style of play and although only a small sample the game against city was a good sign of potentially things to come. Up against title chasing city with their own fans acting like a bunch of morons to still put that performance in was impressive.
Deffo need some tweaks in their defensive set up to improve on the amount of chances and goals they concede though. Considering on paper that back five probably can’t be improved on that would be a concern, although they don’t have a specialist dm.

Whatever people try and drum and up and say, absolutely fecking nobody said Spurs would finish in the top 5 and just miss out on CL football. So they’ve done more than people expected.