g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
His coaching career and history is much much more than what he did with Celtic. The way his teams play, what his former players say about his coaching are good indicators of how he might do. He didnt just win with Celtic which isnt really that hard but he did completely turn them around from a season where they finished 25 points behind Rangers.
People were saying things of a similar sentiment that you are saying when he took over at Celtic.
People underestimate him because they arent familiar with him and fall into the trap of thinking you need to be a big name to succeed in the EPL. He has all the right coaching skills needed to succeed.
Takes more than coaching skills to work with the big name players at top PL clubs. Which is where being a big name manager helps. The big challenge for this guy will be what will happen if Spurs don’t start off well. As soon as the players stop buying into his project he’ll be a dead man walking and he won’t be cut the same amount of slack as a manager who’s already won trophies in top leagues before.

bosskeano

my spurs mate was Ange's neighbor when he was the manager in Japan....funny enough he's now working in Mexico and hits me up on text the other day to tell me that he and Ange still have a chat from time to time since Ange moved to Scotland after he learned of Ange taking the Spurs job

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Or most managers really!

It's really a stupid heuristic people use to cover their biases on whether managers will be successful at a given role.

My overall point is that there is no one or guaranteed path to top level managerial posts, as some would have you believe.
There’s no guaranteed path but it would be equally stupid to pretend that experience gained at clubs a tier below the very best is useful preparation for taking on a top job.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Huge risk imho, Gerrad did well in SPL too. I get the vibes of Nuno Espirito
Gerrard won one trophy out of an available nine, and that was against a Neil Lennon Celtic team that was in total chaos.

Ange is a far superior manager but I reckon he won't be given anytime as Spurs and it will end before the seasons out.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
He didnt just win with Celtic which isnt really that hard but he did completely turn them around from a season where they finished 25 points behind Rangers.
This '25 points behind Rangers' argument is a bit daft.

In their title winning season in 20/21 Rangers went undefeated with 102 points while Celtic came second with 77 points. In the following season Rangers fell completely off the cliff and only reached 76 and Postecoglou's Celtic won the title with 82 points. A title is a title and a respectable achievement for sure, but would you really describe them getting a mere 5 points more than the previous season 'completely turning them around'? I would say that was more like Rangers completely turning into shit rather than Celtic suddenly becoming amazing.

Though it has to be said the 22/23 season was already much better for Celtic & Ange.

Baxquux

I hope he's our new Conte at Inter and takes Sancho and Maguire.
They might not get Kulasevski after all, and need a technical winger/no.10, so, Sancho might not be the worst shout (on the flipside, I think it'd be useful to sell him, as can't see this working out at level either party expected, and we need the money). Maguire, again, is a step up from Dier at least and less liable to glitch outs than Romero; if we can offer both at below the market price, and outbid Madrid conversely for Kane, this might, just might, lead Levy to sell us the latter and use the thick end of 65-70mil combined to sign the former two...

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
This '25 points behind Rangers' argument is a bit daft.

In their title winning season in 20/21 Rangers went undefeated with 102 points while Celtic came second with 77 points. In the following season Rangers fell completely off the cliff and only reached 76 and Postecoglou's Celtic won the title with 82 points. A title is a title and a respectable achievement for sure, but would you really describe them getting a mere 5 points more than the previous season 'completely turning them around'? I would say that was more like Rangers completely turning into shit rather than Celtic suddenly becoming amazing.

Though it has to be said the 22/23 season was already much better for Celtic & Ange.
Nothing daft about it at all. He completely changed the way the team played and turned around their fortunes. Kind of daft to dismiss that sort of effort, you completely missed exactly what he did but thats probably because you have no idea what he did there.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
There’s no guaranteed path but it would be equally stupid to pretend that experience gained at clubs a tier below the very best is useful preparation for taking on a top job.
Aye, we've seen that no experience at all is usually sufficient preparation for taking on a top job :D

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ummm I dunno where your from but it’s usually good manners to wait for a break in conversation before talking over someone.

i just found it a funny video.
Not sure where you're from? :lol:
Firstly, England and secondly, it's good manners to let the person know when you can't hear them, so as to save them wasting their breath.

There was nothing disrespectful, the manager clearly cracked over a frivolous matter.
It's funny because if that was any other manager, people would be praising his no nonsense approach
Really wouldn't.

quadrant

His coaching career and history is much much more than what he did with Celtic. The way his teams play, what his former players say about his coaching are good indicators of how he might do. He didnt just win with Celtic which isnt really that hard but he did completely turn them around from a season where they finished 25 points behind Rangers.
People were saying things of a similar sentiment that you are saying when he took over at Celtic.
People underestimate him because they arent familiar with him and fall into the trap of thinking you need to be a big name to succeed in the EPL. He has all the right coaching skills needed to succeed.
Success in Australia and Japan is less of a barometer than Scotland is. That's not to say it has no value, but simply that its not a strong indicator whatsoever. There are countless coaches winning in smaller leagues that would have little chance of success in England. That he was able to move to Scotland and do well does show talent, but the PL is such a step up that it only counts for so much. After all, its not like there's much track record of Rangers or Celtic managers then doing well in England.

Again, my point is that its impossible to know, not that he will definitely do badly.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Not sure where you're from? :lol:
Firstly, England and secondly, it's good manners to let the person know when you can't hear them, so as to save them wasting their breath.

There was nothing disrespectful, the manager clearly cracked over a frivolous matter.

Really wouldn't.
Little Englander I’m guessing :smirk:, certainly South of the Wash.

if I was answering an already gave question and some snortery upstart with wax in his ears said he could hear me I certainly wouldn’t be impressed when he probably has no control whatsoever over the audio.

if you didn’t find that video funny, take me off your BBQ list. Go have a coke and a smile, possibly a wank and just forget about it.

Last edited:

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Success in Australia and Japan is less of a barometer than Scotland is. That's not to say it has no value, but simply that its not a strong indicator whatsoever. There are countless coaches winning in smaller leagues that would have little chance of success in England. That he was able to move to Scotland and do well does show talent, but the PL is such a step up that it only counts for so much. After all, its not like there's much track record of Rangers or Celtic managers then doing well in England.

Again, my point is that its impossible to know, not that he will definitely do badly.
When he took over at Celtic in that thread all the same arguments being put forward here saying he wouldnt succeed were put forward. My money is on all those arguments used then being used again today will be again shown to be short sighted

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Little Englander I’m guessing :smirk:, certainly South of the Wash.

if I was answering an already gave question and some snortery upstart with wax in his ears said he could hear me I certainly wouldn’t be impressed when he probably has no control whatsoever over the audio.

if you didn’t find that video funny, take me off your BBQ list. Go have a coke and a smile, possibly a wank and just forget about it.
Im very sure even you don't have a clue what you just said there.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What confused you? Coke? Smile? Or wank?
It's funny because you spoke about resect and just got rattled with a difference of opinion, telling someone else to have a wank.

You crack easily too it seems.

MadMike

That's a bit unfair, he came into a Celtic team that finished 25 points behind Rangers the previous season and was out on it's feet. For the longest time it was assumed Eddie Howe would be next Celtic manager, when that fell through at last minute and Ange was announced, he was a source of ridicule, not too dissimilar to what we are seeing now at Spurs. Not only did he turn that around with pretty much a new squad he assembled very quickly, but he did so playing a completely different style of football that was good to watch in comparison with what Lennon left. Also a bit of context to the team that won 8 out of the previous 9 SPL's, for 4 of them Rangers weren't even in the league, and could be argued for a few years after while rebuilding they weren't at the races, eg their first season back in 2016-2017 they were 3rd in league 39 points behind Celtic. Ange came into a team chasing Rangers unlike the previous mangers. No doubt the step up will be big, but I think at times his exploits at Celtic aren't fully appreciated.
I've thought about and in my humble opinion, no it isn't unfair. But we can agree to disagree.

Celtic were still only second in a 2-team league. They were still comfortably another 14 points off 3rd. They basically needed to overcome a single team in Rangers. Which didn't necessarily require Celtic themselves to be amazing, if Rangers became worse it would suffice. And to some extent that happened as well.

Points mean, pardon me for saying, feck all in Scotland. In the format of that small league, teams play each other a lot. Specifically Rangers and Celtic play each other 5 times in the league each year. So if one team becomes better than other (due to improving or the other team becoming worse) it generates a very large point swing on that table. In 20/21 Rangers got 12 points more than Celtic in their head-to-heads. In 21/22 Celtic got 6 more. That's a an 18-point swing in the table alone from their head-to-heads. Finally Rangers spent £3m (gross) in the summer of '21 for transfers to Celtic's £23m.

Again, he did very well. He has an eye for spotting talent and plays good football. But what he did is orders of magnitude easier than what is waiting for him in London. He is up against many richer, better set up teams and he can't rely on 1 team to have a bad season. He needs to overtake 3-4 teams for them to get into UCL spots. And he can be outflanked by teams like Brighton, the other teams in this league are not extras. Also the level is higher. The talent he had spotted and had connections to from his time coaching in Aus, Japan or Greece was both cheap and highly useful to him in Scotland. But it's unlikely that talent pool is rich enough for him to unearth gems of high enough quality that will propel Spurs to top 4 in the EPL. This is a whole other level and his connections might be not proven as useful.

Last edited:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Admittedly I don't really know a great deal about him, but is this not something of a gamble for Spurs?

Gerrard very quickly found himself out of his depth, and even Rodgers who was somewhat PL proven and had a good first couple of seasons found himself out of a job after sliding down the table.

A poor start to the season and I can't see spurs sticking by him.

Don't Kill Bill

Taking over Spurs in England is like taking over Aberdeen or Hearts in Scotland though.

Is this guy good enough to win the league in Scotland with either of those?

Time will tell nothing is certain in football but Spurs is a poisoned chalice at the moment.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
If the club is willing to back him and be patient with him, like Arsenal were with Arteta, then he has a real chance.

If Levy's remit to him is some version of "This club needs to get back into the CL ASAP, by the way it should be possible with the players we have plus only a couple additions, we have plenty of talent here I know this squad" then he is fecked.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's had 27 years in management, and won 7 league titles and also made Australia the Asian champions. But I don't expect to be able to convince people that anything that happened in Australia, Japan, or the Asian confederation matters.
I'm genuinely amazed he's 57, had him down as guy in mid to late 40s so he was never going to reject Spurs once they showed serious interest as pretty rare to see manager get a good job in major league once past 60 unless you've got an Ancelotti CV.

He's put in the hard yards for sure.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I'm genuinely amazed he's 57, had him down as guy in mid to late 40s so he was never going to reject Spurs once they showed serious interest as pretty rare to see manager get a good job in major league once past 60 unless you've got an Ancelotti CV.

He's put in the hard yards for sure.
Its a bad advert for Fosters, but hats for sure.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I've thought about and in my humble opinion, no it isn't unfair. But we can agree to disagree.

Celtic were still only second in a 2-team league. They were still comfortably another 14 points off 3rd. They basically needed to overcome a single team in Rangers. Which didn't necessarily require Celtic themselves to be amazing, if Rangers became worse it would suffice. And to some extent that happened as well.

Points mean, pardon me for saying, feck all in Scotland. In the format of that small league, teams play each other a lot. Specifically Rangers and Celtic play each other 5 times in the league each year. So if one team becomes better than other (due to improving or the other team becoming worse) it generates a very large point swing on that table. In 20/21 Rangers got 12 points more than Celtic in their head-to-heads. In 21/22 Celtic got 6 more. That's a an 18-point swing in the table alone from their head-to-heads. Finally Rangers spent £3m (gross) in the summer of '21 for transfers to Celtic's £23m.

Again, he did very well. He has an eye for spotting talent and plays good football. But what he did is orders of magnitude easier than what is waiting for him in London. He is up against many richer, better set up teams and he can't rely on 1 team to have a bad season. He needs to overtake 3-4 teams for them to get into UCL spots. And he can be outflanked by teams like Brighton, the other teams in this league are not extras. Also the level is higher. The talent he had spotted and had connections to from coaching in Aus, Japan or Greece was both cheap and highly useful to him in Scotland. But it's unlikely that talent pool is rich enough for him to unearth gems of high enough quality that will propel Spurs to top 4 in the EPL. This is a whole other level and his connections might be not prove as useful.
Winning a treble in any league deserves a little respect, you look back over the books, it’s not like it’s comman place for it to happen. Even the most stacked clubs have difficulty doing it.

Abraxas

If you've won in Australia, Japan and Scotland...that's evidence of a winner.

Standard does of course matter because at bigger clubs the scope of the job can be bigger, it's more intense under the spotlight, different type of player personalities. So there's that. He has to show he can transition to it.

But I would take his record over many CVs that probably came Spurs way. The best sign of a winning manager is one that wins, no matter where it is, and this bloke hasn't just done it at one club. That's the prerequisite for finding that type of manager that has a certain alchemy. He is vastly more likely to be a winner than someone that's won nothing but talks a great game or looks the part and has functioned in higher standard leagues.

Where he'll have to hit the ground running is the recruitment side of it. What he did in Scotland isn't exactly going to work the same. You can be a great manager but the players are absolutely key. You're not going to do anything with crap players.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Winning a treble in any league deserves a little respect, you look back over the books, it’s not like it’s comman place for it to happen. Even the most stacked clubs have difficulty doing it.
Celtic literally did it five of the last seven seasons.

Teja

Twitterverse thinks this guy is the second coming of Pep, so let's see. All the Tifo folks are on the bandwagon already.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
He is ridiculously attacking.

His style is amazing to watch.

As mentioned though, Spurs have went from Mourinho, Nuno and Conte, to one of the most attack minded managers out there. Those players are going to take some time to adjust and some like Hoijberg and Dier will surely be let go. His centre backs are pretty quick usually and his full backs are inverted so it’s going to take a complete overhaul I reckon.

The Firestarter

He is ridiculously attacking.

His style is amazing to watch.

As mentioned though, Spurs have went from Mourinho, Nuno and Conte, to one of the most attack minded managers out there. Those players are going to take some time to adjust and some like Hoijberg and Dier will surely be let go. His centre backs are pretty quick usually and his full backs are inverted so it’s going to take a complete overhaul I reckon.
They wont give him time to implement his ideas , won't get him adequate players, and axe him early. In other words, a movie we've already watched.

A9X SJ

Been a revelation for Celtic, been great since he came.

He’s managed to find some absolute gems with his array of the Japan League etc, some may make it down south

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Been a revelation for Celtic, been great since he came.

He’s managed to find some absolute gems with his array of the Japan League etc, some may make it down south
I doubt there’s an inexhaustible supply. It’s a small talent pool. Celtic probably got the best available. Will be a big ask to do that all over again for Spurs.

MadMike

Winning a treble in any league deserves a little respect, you look back over the books, it’s not like it’s common place for it to happen. Even the most stacked clubs have difficulty doing it.
You mean a Scottish domestic treble? Yeah, not commonplace at all. Celtic only did it 4 times in a row from 16/17 to 20/21. Two wins under Brendan Rodgers and two under Neil Lennon. The first got Leicester relegated this season and the latter is now coaching in Cyprus. Both absolute geniuses.

Listen, Ange seems like a good coach with unique ideas and I do actually like him. Doubly so, for his familiar personal story (he's a Greek emigré, which I happen to be as well). But let's not act like winning a domestic treble in Scotland with Celtic is something that's beyond the capabilities of even the most mediocre managers in football. The task he will have at Spurs is orders of magnitude harder than what he has done at Celtic. I actually rate his achievements with Brisbane Roar and the Socceroos as more impressive.

Last edited:

MadMike

I doubt there’s an inexhaustible supply. It’s a small talent pool. Celtic probably got the best available. Will be a big ask to do that all over again for Spurs.
Well, it always depends on the relative strength of the leagues. If he was managing in Luxembourg, Japan might have proven a near inexhaustible supply of talent to continuously win the Luxembourgian league with. For the EPL, not so much so. The number of players who'd make the cut as squad players in EPL is small. Never mind the players who'd make a significant impact on the league as starters (like Mitoma did) and help propel a club a UCL spot.

poleglass red

Did they though, the main man for Celtic since his arrival is Kyogo, 4.5 million, he's 28 and to date has 16 caps for Japan. Hatate who I think is a wonderful player $1.4 million and at 25 years of age has 1 cap. He hasn't went and raided Japan for mainstays of their national team, he's picked up players that fitted his budget but more importantly his playing style. Same with his signing of Alistair Johnston from MLS. There are plenty more bigger names in that league than Johnston, but he needed a replacement for Croatian Josip Juranovic , so he snapped him up and for me he has been a revelation for them, and been much better for Celtic than the more illustrious name he replaced. The only concern I'd have for Spurs, is that Levy is thinking Ange can come in and work wonders on a low budget and not back him financially. That would be a mistake, he can still use his scouting networks for bargains, but he'll need to mix that up with some big name signings as well.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Again, he did very well. He has an eye for spotting talent and plays good football. But what he did is orders of magnitude easier than what is waiting for him in London. He is up against many richer, better set up teams and he can't rely on 1 team to have a bad season. He needs to overtake 3-4 teams for them to get into UCL spots. And he can be outflanked by teams like Brighton, the other teams in this league are not extras. Also the level is higher. The talent he had spotted and had connections to from his time coaching in Aus, Japan or Greece was both cheap and highly useful to him in Scotland. But it's unlikely that talent pool is rich enough for him to unearth gems of high enough quality that will propel Spurs to top 4 in the EPL. This is a whole other level and his connections might be not proven as useful.
Sorry to pick you up, but Rangers and Celtic play each other 4 times in the league each year.

The rest I totally get your points.

What we need to remember is that Spurs supposed had a guaranteed winner or 2 with Mourinho and Conte, the latter especially was seen as as close to a sure thing as you could get in management. Remember the moaning on here last season?

I'm a Rangers fan that fully respects that Ange has been a very good coach where he's been so far, but you are right to ask if that will translate at a higher level and at Spurs specifically.

MadMike

Sorry to pick you up, but Rangers and Celtic play each other 4 times in the league each year.

The rest I totally get your points.
Yep that's my bad. I thought they play twice in the second phase.

I'm a Rangers fan that fully respects that Ange has been a very good coach where he's been so far, but you are right to ask if that will translate at a higher level and at Spurs specifically.
It's not just a higher level. It's objectively a more difficult ask. Success for Celtic is to win the league and for that they need to be better than one team, Rangers. The other teams are too far behind in every sense to be any real threat. Celtic have finished in the top 2 in the last 28 years.

Success at Spurs is to finish at top 4 and for that they need to finish above several teams who currently have better squads and more money than Spurs. The emergence of Newcastle and the money they have at their disposal means there's a top 7 now in the UK, in which Spurs are financially at the bottom of. They need to finish above at least 3 teams from City, Arsenal, United, Newcastle, Liverpool & Chelsea. As well as all other EPL teams that might be having an unexpectedly good season (this year it was Brighton and Villa).