Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Bit of a hot head this fella. I look forward to the inevitable fall out with Levy once he doesnt get his way.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Dane Scarlett looked half-decent from the few Spurs European games I saw - could he do a Kane and quickly go 3 levels up with the right manager coming up and mentoring, or at least become a decent back-up option...?
Scarlett looks like a good prospect but he is at least one more loan away from being part of our first team squad I think

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It's an interesting and different way of looking at it culturally as to us here in Denmark. I'm all for giving credit, but here in Denmark we have Thomas Frank who's on the same projection as Ange probably, and it's not like we see it as some proud achievement here in Denmark along with other merits of danish football. I think we're more like "good on him" but it's not like we cheer for him or are connected that much to him. And I don't say this to take anything away from your post, I just found it culturally interesting that this achievement is "big" and that this is something that is closely followed in Australia.
It's due to the fact that Ange is basically the first decent manager Australia has ever had. Even him being at Celtic was easily the highest profile managerial job any Aussie has ever had, and now he's stepping up to a fairly big PL team he's breaking new ground.

Plus Aussies are quite parochial when it comes to sport at any time.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Bit of a hot head this fella. I look forward to the inevitable fall out with Levy once he doesnt get his way.
he’ll be out by christmas. it’s the busiest time
in the footballing calendar and he’ll just want to be off bbqing on a beach, downing a box of goon and fingering his cousin.

Real Name

What is Perišić's status?
Apparently Ange doesnt fancy him and there's talk of him going to Turkey or coming back to Croatia, to Hajduk.

poleglass red

The one thing he did at Celtic was he never changed the way they played. They played Real at home, you'd think he'd try and reign it in a bit, but he went toe to toe with them and for 50 mins or so, they were the better side, but at that level you have to take your chances and the cream always rises. The difference was up there, they'd get beat in europe and then get back to winning ways in Scotland in next games. In the PL it"s a tough game week in and week out. I really like his attitude, but going toe to toe with City one week, you may have Liverpool the next, or Arsenal or Utd. Couple of heavy losses in a row and we know typically what happens. I'm intrigued to how he handles the step up, can he do a Brighton or will he out the door quickly?

Peter Guillam

It's an interesting and different way of looking at it culturally as to us here in Denmark. I'm all for giving credit, but here in Denmark we have Thomas Frank who's on the same projection as Ange probably, and it's not like we see it as some proud achievement here in Denmark along with other merits of danish football. I think we're more like "good on him" but it's not like we cheer for him or are connected that much to him. And I don't say this to take anything away from your post, I just found it culturally interesting that this achievement is "big" and that this is something that is closely followed in Australia.
In Australia we're completely isolated from the rest of the footballing world though. It isn't really comparable to somewhere like Denmark, despite being a smaller nation.

I remember having a conversation with a friend back in 2012 about how Ange was clearly talented enough to be coaching in Europe but we agreed that it was a shame it would never happen because the pathway just isn't there. Well a little over a decade later he's finally done it but he's had to go to a World Cup and then bide his time in Asia to build a reputation before he could be considered for something like this. Whereas a coach (or a player) from somewhere like Denmark has a far easier path to get noticed and advance their career in Europe.

There were heaps of derisive comments about Ange's nationality from fans when he was appointed at Celtic and then again at Tottenham. An up and coming coach from a European nation like Denmark would never experience that sort of condescension.

Then you have to consider how the game is absolutely dwarfed in popularity over here by Australian Rules Football, Rugby League, and Cricket. Media coverage of the game is minimal to the point that some networks have actively tried to prevent the game from growing. Most Aussies tend to look down on the game too because they see it as "soft" and a "foreign" game, so the Australian football community are up against it here. When someone makes it through all of that and is actually successful on the world stage then we do see it as something to celebrate because it is such a rare achievement.

ROFLUTION

In Australia we're completely isolated from the rest of the footballing world though. It isn't really comparable to somewhere like Denmark, despite being a smaller nation.

I remember having a conversation with a friend back in 2012 about how Ange was clearly talented enough to be coaching in Europe but we agreed that it was a shame it would never happen because the pathway just isn't there. Well a little over a decade later he's finally done it but he's had to go to a World Cup and then bide his time in Asia to build a reputation before he could be considered for something like this. Whereas a coach (or a player) from somewhere like Denmark has a far easier path to get noticed and advance their career in Europe.

There were heaps of derisive comments about Ange's nationality from fans when he was appointed at Celtic and then again at Tottenham. An up and coming coach from a European nation like Denmark would never experience that sort of condescension.

Then you have to consider how the game is absolutely dwarfed in popularity over here by Australian Rules Football, Rugby League, and Cricket. Media coverage of the game is minimal to the point that some networks have actively tried to prevent the game from growing. Most Aussies tend to look down on the game too because they see it as "soft" and a "foreign" game, so the Australian football community are up against it here. When someone makes it through all of that and is actually successful on the world stage then we do see it as something to celebrate because it is such a rare achievement.
Thanks for all the different perspectives on it. I couldnt agree more - the part of being an isolated place so many kilometres away really makes all the difference even in a globalized era.

It’s also a bit of a conundrum because all my aussie friends I’ve made while travelling really loves to talk about Australia, and quite often with other aussies about Australia too. From a european POV then the old naming of you as the Socceroos is quite funny/interesting too + Ante’s name more sounds turkish at first when you hear his name. It does create a bit of “who the hell is he? Tell me more” atmosphere around him.

SambaBoy

I don't think that interview helped Ange within the Australian football community - many within the media sided with Forster.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

Excellent post. I went to a couple of Brisbane Roar games when he was in charge and loved it. It'd be great if the rest of the world rates Ange as highly as Aussies do.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

I don't think that interview helped Ange within the Australian football community - many within the media sided with Forster.
Ange himself said in made him virtually unemployable in Australia for a good 2 years or so. In October 2009, then Brisbane Roar coach Frank Farina was caught drink driving, got sacked and within a week Ange was named as Brisbane Roar's new coach and he's been very successful since then. One man getting caught drink driving changed the world for another.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Ange himself said in made him virtually unemployable in Australia for a good 2 years or so. In October 2009, then Brisbane Roar coach Frank Farina was caught drink driving, got sacked and within a week Ange was named as Brisbane Roar's new coach and he's been very successful since then. One man getting caught drink driving changed the world for another.
And this is probably the reason he ended up having to coach Whittlesea Zebras in Victoria's state league shortly afterwards. To go from that to managing Tottenham in the premier league is an insane rise.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Really love Aussie Ange. What he's been able to achieve has been unprecedented for an Aussie.

Growing up in Australia I never particularly cared too much for the traditional rivalry with the Spuds, especially compared to Arsenal fans from the UK that have lived it. I know I should hate them, but my personal rivals have always been United and Chelsea. The Spuds are more of an afterthought.

So I hope he succeeds there. Or at the very least I don't want to see him fail.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The one thing he did at Celtic was he never changed the way they played. They played Real at home, you'd think he'd try and reign it in a bit, but he went toe to toe with them and for 50 mins or so, they were the better side, but at that level you have to take your chances and the cream always rises. The difference was up there, they'd get beat in europe and then get back to winning ways in Scotland in next games. In the PL it"s a tough game week in and week out. I really like his attitude, but going toe to toe with City one week, you may have Liverpool the next, or Arsenal or Utd. Couple of heavy losses in a row and we know typically what happens. I'm intrigued to how he handles the step up, can he do a Brighton or will he out the door quickly?
You do better against big teams when you take the game to them. Teams who try and keep it tight usually get battered and learn nothing. Look at Brighton.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

Well said.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I predict a general damp squib of a first season, in which he is sacked. Followed by him getting a (relatively) crap job like manager of Hansa Rostock, but ending up with the Aussie national team where he’ll fail to qualify for the World Cup, having been beaten in a play-off match by Bahrain.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Early days, but I'm liking the early signs of Ange Postecoglou.

I think I'm going to thoroughly enjoy watching Spurs. Fluid, technical, interchanging, and highly offensive.

I love the high risk intensity here, 8 Spurs players around the opponent's box and this wasn't from a set piece either.

One touch, incisive passing

Defensively they're suspect

Keeper!!

and it wouldn't surprise me if they're shopping for a new keeper by January 2024. The manner they conceded against West Ham, I imagine would be a real concern for Spurs fan. Although, this entire post is just my initial thoughts. Being suspect in preseason doesn't necessarily that will translate to the actual season, as they may have ironed out some things by then. Ange - " "Not the sort of stuff [defending set pieces] we worked on." He's been more concerned with trying to get across his style of play in this early stages.

Blood Mage

They played some lovely football against West Ham to be honest. Still shite defensively though.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Early days, but I'm liking the early signs of Ange Postecoglou.

I think I'm going to thoroughly enjoy watching Spurs. Fluid, technical, interchanging, and highly offensive.

I love the high risk intensity here, 8 Spurs players around the opponent's box and this wasn't from a set piece either.

One touch, incisive passing

Defensively they're suspect

Keeper!!

and it wouldn't surprise me if they're shopping for a new keeper by January 2024. The manner they conceded against West Ham, I imagine would be a real concern for Spurs fan. Although, this entire post is just my initial thoughts. Being suspect in preseason doesn't necessarily that will translate to the actual season, as they may have ironed out some things by then. Ange - " "Not the sort of stuff [defending set pieces] we worked on." He's been more concerned with trying to get across his style of play in this early stages.
I’m quite excited, we’re in for 2 CBs and yes we do need upgrades there. I like Ange’s mentality and his ethos. He has only been with us for 3 weeks.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Id love to know what a manager does tactically in 3 weeks that allows for more fluid attacking football?

I think Spurs have players that were always capable of good football, there's players there that are no mugs.

Is it just more a feel good thing at this early stage, playing with shackles off and encouraging players to go forward and telling players to play quick, 1 touch passing rather than pondering on the ball too much or passing back or side to side too much?

cyberman

Id love to know what a manager does tactically in 3 weeks that allows for more fluid attacking football?

I think Spurs have players that were always capable of good football, there's players there that are no mugs.

Is it just more a feel good thing at this early stage, playing with shackles off and encouraging players to go forward and telling players to play quick, 1 touch passing rather than pondering on the ball too much or passing back or side to side too much?
Nothing is done really. It’s just players playing without pressure and against teams looking for fitness.
United have been pre season monsters for about 6 years now. When they run into teams that press high etc that they don’t do in July then the problems start.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
he’ll be out by christmas. it’s the busiest time
in the footballing calendar and he’ll just want to be off bbqing on a beach, downing a box of goon and fingering his cousin.
Who wouldn't want that !!!

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Spurs looked great going forward.

They still badly need a new defence.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Only preseason I know but they look almost unrecognisable from the Jose, Nuno and Conte teams. Spurs fans must be buzzing with what they’ve seen so far.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Only preseason I know but they look almost unrecognisable from the Jose, Nuno and Conte teams. Spurs fans must be buzzing with what they’ve seen so far.

But but everyone tells me that you need a whole new squad and a couple of seasons to implement a new style of play…

Eddy_JukeZ

Really annoyed we get them on our 2nd game, but hopefully they're going through a pre-season bump and will falter once the season starts.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea

It's even more impressive that this was essentially their reserves. 10 changes from the last friendly, which is more than likely their starting 11 v Brentford.