Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was reading Anges comments after the game, and watching the highlight. I’m sorry but this guy just oozes confidence. Players clearly just want to perform for him, again our results have been bad preseason but I don’t think that really matters. In the first half we pressed them so hard, they looked terrified on the ball. Like they couldn’t wait to offload it onto someone else.

The new faith and confidence in the lead up to a new season. Of course he could be gone by Christmas, time will tell.
Tricky start. Brentford and Bournemouth gave you plenty of issues on counter attack end of last season (you could say you'd given up by then but still drew 2-2 with Man. United and had that near comeback at Anfield) and Man. United could just control midfield and get a 1-2 win.

Something like 1 point from first 3 games and press will go into meltdown especially if Kane is leaving, that's just how it works.

Ole'sgunnarwin

They'll be the same oul Spursy as always. In their defence there's a lot of quality ahead of them, they're not finishing ahead of United, Arsenal, Liverpool or City. Probably Chelsea if they improve as expected. I think Spurs are on Villa and Newcastle's level. They'd do well to finish 5th/6th

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
i think witht the amount of doping in City and Newcastle now, all we can really ask for is a good game to enjoy. Winning shot never was really why I support Tottenham…. That’s pretty obvious:rolleyes:
I'm lucky enough to have seen my team win the lot, several times over. I genuinely would be happy for us to just be competing and playing good football on a consistent basis, even without winning the league.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
They'll be the same oul Spursy as always. In their defence there's a lot of quality ahead of them, they're not finishing ahead of United, Arsenal, Liverpool or City. Probably Chelsea if they improve as expected. I think Spurs are on Villa and Newcastle's level. They'd do well to finish 5th/6th
Newcastle’s level? Where does this dismissal of Newcastle all come from? You know that Newcastle are at a higher overall level than Man United are right now, right? If you’ve forgotten, go back and watch how they have played last season. They will be an improvement on that structure, in being able to defend, press high and counter attack even better.

Don’t sleep on the Toon. Their only real challenge is in depth, but they will fly out the traps again and be that amazing side again, no doubt.

Back to Spurs. Ange needs to give them more defensive balance and they will have good potential. He needs to dial down their aggression in attack, or at the very least time it better. If Spurs can become more solid in defensive areas, I think they will surprise in the PL with good performances and be quite entertaining as well.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I'm lucky enough to have seen my team win the lot, several times over. I genuinely would be happy for us to just be competing and playing good football on a consistent basis, even without winning the league.
Same here. Being competitive with the top teams within the PL and CL is more important.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Newcastle’s level? Where does this dismissal of Newcastle all come from? You know that Newcastle are at a higher overall level than Man United are right now, right? If you’ve forgotten, go back and watch how they have played last season. They will be an improvement on that structure, in being able to defend, press high and counter attack even better.

Don’t sleep on the Toon. Their only real challenge is in depth, but they will fly out the traps again and be that amazing side again, no doubt.

Back to Spurs. Ange needs to give them more defensive balance and they will have good potential. He needs to dial down their aggression in attack, or at the very least time it better. If Spurs can become more solid in defensive areas, I think they will surprise in the PL with good performances and be quite entertaining as well.
Newcastle will struggle with the added mid-week European games that will be tacked on. They struggled even towards the end of last season without it.

Its the season after that i see them taking a big leap forward.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
Newcastle will struggle with the added mid-week European games that will be tacked on. They struggled even towards the end of last season without it.

Its the season after that i see them taking a big leap forward.
That remains to be seen actually. It’s not a guarantee they will struggle with midweek fixtures, just because everyone says so. Especially during the first half of the season where they play only 6 games more.

Newcastle are likely to suffer depth issues later on in the season, as Arsenal have. That is if Newcastle do not so enough in both transfer windows. This current window and January. And I doubt they will leave themselves very short, because this opportunity to build the club is here now

But most importantly, do not dismiss Newcastle because it’s fashionable to do so. Newcastle are one the most settled and structured squads in the PL. And that makes them a very dangerous team this season.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Newcastle are a higher level than Man United? How did you work that one out? I suppose finishing ahead of them and bashing them in a final makes us worse. How about you go back and watch last season?

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
Newcastle are a higher level than Man United? How did you work that one out? I suppose finishing ahead of them and bashing them in a final makes us worse. How about you go back and watch last season?
Because Newcastle played superior football and showed more consistent performances than United last season.

United stumbling into third place, and winning a one off final doesnt change the underlying seasonal metrics.

Statistically Newcastle were superior to United, in more goals scored, less goals conceded, a higher XG, a higher XPTS, lower XGA. With the only area that United came out on top was in games won. That's proof of a better structured team, which you also understand because Howe has the more settled and cohesive team to work with.

The onus is on United to show that they are actually better than Newcastle on the field now. Not automatically believe they are better because media pundits repeat it over and over, based on their feelings.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Because Newcastle played superior football and showed more consistent performances than United last season.

United stumbling into third place, and winning a one off final doesnt change the underlying seasonal metrics.

Statistically Newcastle were superior to United, in more goals scored, less goals conceded, a higher XG, a higher XPTS, lower XGA. With the only area that United came out on top was in games won. That's proof of a better structured team, which you also understand because Howe has the more settled and cohesive team to work with.

The onus is on United to show that they are actually better than Newcastle on the field now. Not automatically believe they are better because media pundits repeat it over and over, based on their feelings.
:lol:

Amazing post.

Anyway, most pundits are thinking Newcastle are gonna slip down the league a bit, because they haven't massively reinforced + they will have to deal with European football (and other teams around them have strengthened).

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Only preseason I know but they look almost unrecognisable from the Jose, Nuno and Conte teams. Spurs fans must be buzzing with what they’ve seen so far.

If I was a Spurs fan I’d be delighted to see they’ve gotten rid of the negative style of play so quickly, but I wouldn’t be that excited or impressed with this. They managed one good pass, most of the players involved looked incapable of executing it to a high level, and Bissouma wasn’t far off a calamity. And it’s not like it was Barca pressing particularly intensely.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal

Amazing post.

Anyway, most pundits are thinking Newcastle are gonna slip down the league a bit, because they haven't massively reinforced + they will have to deal with European football (and other teams around them have strengthened).
I dont think its amazing it all, a pretty conservative opinion I'd say.

Liverpool didnt have great depth for years, same with City (albeit City having world class quality which made them look seamless in rotation), yet both teamswere able to keep up with their top performances for those years.

An example closer to Newcastle... Spurs under Potchettino were able to keep CL qualifying pace in the league and make the knockout stages of the CL for a three good seasons, with almost ZERO investment.

But... but... but... but... for Newcastle they just wont do it, because our pundits mostly say so. :lol:

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I dont think its amazing it all, a pretty conservative opinion I'd say.

Liverpool didnt have great depth for years, same with City (albeit City having world class quality which made them look seamless in rotation), yet both teamswere able to keep up with their top performances for those years.

An example closer to Newcastle... Spurs under Potchettino were able to keep CL qualifying pace in the league and make the knockout stages of the CL for a three good seasons, with almost ZERO investment.

But... but... but... but... for Newcastle they just wont do it, because our pundits mostly say so. :lol:
Because there are various factors to it, and no, Newcastle weren't actually that great last season and will probably be a little bit found out this year. They're also not an intrinsically better team than Utd, even though last year they got a lot more coaching and rest time. Just like Arsenal did, in fact.

Woodzy

Also, Brighton played better football than both clubs. I assume they are going to finish above both clubs?

Crimson King

Newcastle didn't have to play 3/4 times a week. United 'stumbled' into third place because, by and large, they couldn't put out a fully fit team for the second half of the season. If Newcastle were actually better they would have finished above us, given the advantage the schedule had given them in terms of prep time.

No team will have to deal with that next season, even Europa League competitors, as there won't be a mid-season World Cup, and the Queen can't die again.

ROFLUTION

They were also not in Europe, hence they could play their best players week in week out without saving their legs. Did wonders for their back-four who played almost every game.

They're good, I'll give you that, but you can't use stats to prove they're better than Man Utd. The biggest stat of them all is probably that United finished 3rd and Newcastle 4th.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
Because there are various factors to it, and no, Newcastle weren't actually that great last season and will probably be a little bit found out this year. They're also not an intrinsically better team than Utd, even though last year they got a lot more coaching and rest time. Just like Arsenal did, in fact.
No, I think you are coping and at this stage hoping United are better than Newcastle, and Arsenal.
Newcastle's defensive organisation is currently proven to be superior to both United and Arsenal. The statistics show this as fact, as well as visual analysis of their defensive game.
Newcastle's offensive organisation (including their automations in attack and ability to seamlessly transition) is superior to United. Again, fact statistically and visually.
Of course United can be better than Newcastle and Arsenal, but they have to show it statistically and through visual analysis. Not because your BBC and TNT pundits tell you that United are better.

Also, Brighton played better football than both clubs. I assume they are going to finish above both clubs?
If they had the better quality of players and could keep them season on season, then yes, absolutely. From a system and cohesive point of view, Brighton were one of the best teams in the league last season. The great shame with them is that they arent backed significantly, and lose their players season on season.

But Brighton are a top ball team. As United and Arsenal saw last season.

Newcastle didn't have to play 3/4 times a week. United 'stumbled' into third place because, by and large, they couldn't put out a fully fit team for the second half of the season. If Newcastle were actually better they would have finished above us, given the advantage the schedule had given them in terms of prep time.

No team will have to deal with that next season, even Europa League competitors, as there won't be a mid-season World Cup, and the Queen can't die again.
Well, we'll see how it plays out. Because luckily all the top competitors will have extra commitments, except for Chelsea and Spurs.
Fixture congestion, squad strain and all that good stuff will apply to every single team who finished 1-7 last season.
So lets see how it goes.

They were also not in Europe, hence they could play their best players week in week out without saving their legs. Did wonders for their back-four who played almost every game.

They're good, I'll give you that, but you can't use stats to prove they're better than Man Utd. The biggest stat of them all is probably that United finished 3rd and Newcastle 4th.
Newcastle are a very good team, I think we must not forget about that.
They are playing a style of football that is closest to Liverpool's when they won the league in 2019/20. They are even better at it than Liverpool are right now. I find it extremely difficult to believe they will just drop off because pundits tell us they will.

There is an argument to be made about squad depth of course, but I will be happy to have that conversation once I see their squad in September. Until then, Im not getting giddy over pundits and their guesses.

Last edited:

Woodzy

The king is in with a shout though.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If I was a Spurs fan I’d be delighted to see they’ve gotten rid of the negative style of play so quickly, but I wouldn’t be that excited or impressed with this. They managed one good pass, most of the players involved looked incapable of executing it to a high level, and Bissouma wasn’t far off a calamity. And it’s not like it was Barca pressing particularly intensely.
That's the only clip I could find from the game that kind of demonstrated the impact Ange has had. I was watching the game though. I was impressed by the football they played throughout.

Crimson King

No, I think you are coping and at this stage hoping United are better than Newcastle, and Arsenal.
Newcastle's defensive organisation is currently proven to be superior to both United and Arsenal. The statistics show this as fact, as well as visual analysis of their defensive game.
Newcastle's offensive organisation (including their automations in attack and ability to seamlessly transition) is superior to United. Again, fact statistically and visually.
Of course United can be better than Newcastle and Arsenal, but they have to show it statistically and through visual analysis. Not because your BBC and TNT pundits tell you that United are better.

If they had the better quality of players and could keep them season on season, then yes, absolutely. From a system and cohesive point of view, Brighton were one of the best teams in the league last season. The great shame with them is that they arent backed significantly, and lose their players season on season.

But Brighton are a top ball team. As United and Arsenal saw last season.

Well, we'll see how it plays out. Because luckily all the top competitors will have extra commitments, except for Chelsea and Spurs.
Fixture congestion, squad strain and all that good stuff will apply to every single team who finished 1-7 last season.
So lets see how it goes.

Newcastle are a very good team, I think we must not forget about that.
They are playing a style of football that is closest to Liverpool's when they won the league in 2019/20. They are even better at it than Liverpool are right now. I find it extremely difficult to believe they will just drop off because pundits tell us they will.

There is an argument to be made about squad depth of course, but I will be happy to have that conversation once I see their squad in September. Until then, Im not getting giddy over pundits and their guesses.
Football isn't played inside a laptop, pal.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
:lol: ok mate!
@Rooney in Paris I hope you're coping well mate.
It's rough. But I think I'll be ok.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Lo Celso has also come back and has fitted in well, hopefully we end up getting something out of him after all. Perisic has done well too, probably our best attacking player over pre-season.

Dier may have ended his Spurs career last night whilst Sanchez may have saved his. Both should go really but Sanchez is probably better suited to playing the high-line we're setting up with.
Dier counts towards your home grown player count though, so still useful to have on the bench to make up the numbers.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Eh? Plays for England and not home grown, aka English? Some quality PL rules logic there.
I'll tell you and even better 1. If Rangers or any other Scottish team signs Billy Gilmour, he won't be classed as homegrown. Born in Scotland, plays for Scotland, was in the Rangers Academy until Chelsea bought him aged 16, but wouldn't be homegrown if he came back to Scotland.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The amount of times they use that fecking phrase! What is it with all the newbies and excruciatingly long winded drivel about football? Where are they honing these skills before joining the caf? More to the point, how do we keep them there?!
I've had quite the brainwave. What if there was a subforum where only newbies could post in and if enough of their posts are deemed not shite(I'm thinking 10 of them), they eventually get privileges to post on the main forums. Radical I know but I think I might be onto something.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
You know who I very often visually analyse? Birds with big tits. Oh yes.

RVN1991

Seems like "games won" is a pretty important "area' in the grand scheme of things no?

OverratedOpinion

I'll make you a bet of any size you like that Utd will finish ahead of Newcastle. Only caveat is the bet has to be at the very minimum £200.

Show me how much you believe in those statistics moving forward.

Lyng

Nah Newcastle where defensively sound but they wherent all that impressive to watch. I still believe Eddie Howe is quite overrated. I expect them to not really challenge for top 4 this season.