Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

Adamsk7

Why is everyone in here bigging up Spurs? Genuinely perplexed. We looked amazing in our first preseason under Van Gaal. Posting clips from a game they conceded 3 goals in 10 minutes just cos they kept some good possession (again in preseason -no pressure) does not count.

They’ll struggle to get top 6.They’ll be Spursy like they always are, just like they were today.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If nothing else the Spurs fans should have have fun watching their team again this season. Mourinho > Nuno > Conte must've been a bit soul-destroying.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
They also conceded 3 goals in the final 10 minutes. 2 of which were in injury time.
Their defensive line was crazy all game, it was pretty much on the halfway line the entire time. Barca didn't exploit it until they subbed on a 16 year old who basically created 3 goals (Looks an incredible player)
They'll be great fun to watch this season I think, looks like Ange is going to set up exactly how he did with Celtic in the league and in Europe.

marktan

Nice clip, I was a big fan of Bissouma, was strange how he was under Conte. Ditto Richarlison. Spurs do have a lot of good players that under the right manager I think could do well.

Poor Kane though, 3 years of his prime under Conte, Mourinho and Southgate.

the_cliff

Only preseason I know but they look almost unrecognisable from the Jose, Nuno and Conte teams. Spurs fans must be buzzing with what they’ve seen so far.

I watched the game, if they play that insane high line with Dier/Romero they'll be on the wrong end of some hammerings.

OverratedOpinion

Really annoyed we get them on our 2nd game, but hopefully they're going through a pre-season bump and will falter once the season starts.
Tbf I reckon if they try and play like that straight away in the Premier League we will batter them. They nearly got caught out twice with a pretty half hearted (pre season) press.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I watched the game, if they play that insane high line with Dier/Romero they'll be on the wrong end of some hammerings.
Yeah I think so too. I wasn’t trying to say they were some incredible team all of a sudden. I was just watching the game and was impressed by the football they were playing. They need to invest in new CBs for sure. I’m sure most Spurs fans would agree that’s the highest priority this summer.

the_cliff

Yeah I think so too. I wasn’t trying to say they were some incredible team all of a sudden. I was just watching the game and was impressed by the football they were playing. They need to invest in new CBs for sure. I’m sure most Spurs fans would agree that’s the highest priority this summer.
Yeah I agree, have the seen the highlights of their pre season games and watched the game vs Barca. Will be a welcome relief after going through 2-3 years of Mourinho/Conte ball, I just wonder if they'll have the patience to stick by him after some of the drubbings they receive. Especially against teams that are good in quick transition and counter pressing.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Tbf I reckon if they try and play like that straight away in the Premier League we will batter them. They nearly got caught out twice with a pretty half hearted (pre season) press.
You need very confident players to pull it off. 2 or 3 humblings will shut it down very quick in the league.
They do need to at least get back to EL if they let their 100M asset go for free.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
Ange Postecoglou will have them playing brilliant football like that regularly, and Spurs will only get better at it. And cause big problems for teams looking to press them in their first phase.

Kinda like how Brighton look to move the ball and bypass teams and create space.

Spurs’ weakness will be in two areas. For the less sophisticated teams, it will be when Spurs are caught in their attacking shape, they will have a lot of space left behind and will suffer counter attacks.

For more sophisticated teams like City and Arsenal, it will be Spurs not having the ability to play through and get pinned back in their own half.

So I expect Ange to work on having both a ground game and aerial or long ball game which allows them to get out.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Did anyone wath the full game? We looked very good, I’m actually looking forward to entertaining foorball again. Would be funny if Kane left and we won a cup, #Spursy. Seriously thou it’s like night and day from the past 3-4 seasons.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Ange Postecoglou will have them playing brilliant football like that regularly, and Spurs will only get better at it. And cause big problems for teams looking to press them in their first phase.

Kinda like how Brighton look to move the ball and bypass teams and create space.

Spurs’ weakness will be in two areas. For the less sophisticated teams, it will be when Spurs are caught in their attacking shape, they will have a lot of space left behind and will suffer counter attacks.

For more sophisticated teams like City and Arsenal, it will be Spurs not having the ability to play through and get pinned back in their own half.

So I expect Ange to work on having both a ground game and aerial or long ball game which allows them to get out.
I can’t argue with a lot of this, Ange IMO is gonna surprise a lot of people this season, it’s up to him if he can back up his all out attack with some more of a tactical nouse. I really think he will do well, he seems the type of manger players just want to impress.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If nothing else the Spurs fans should have have fun watching their team again this season. Mourinho > Nuno > Conte must've been a bit soul-destroying.
Ye we’ve had our fair share of Boring football, under Moyes, LVG, Mourinho. All the top 6 now should be playing decent football so it makes the league a lot better to watch. Especially the big games.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
I can’t argue with a lot of this, Ange IMO is gonna surprise a lot of people this season, it’s up to him if he can back up his all out attack with some more of a tactical nouse. I really think he will do well, he seems the type of manger players just want to impress.
Yes, Ange is a smart manager, who plays exciting stuff. You guys will entertain this season.

I think of Eddie Howe last season, earlier Klopp teams and also what United are looking like doing. Turning the team into attacking monsters. But with a bit more Brighton style with Ange. Using positional play to find players and move the ball.

You’ll have a good season and may challenge for the top 4 if you can settle in time.

Longer term though, your team needs to learn how to control games completely, if you want to win big trophies. It’s fun to attack attack all the time. But it’s not good enough when you are playing good to top teams, who will have specific plans to use this type of play to their advantage.

Ange knows this, and will adapt your style more to make you stronger, if given time.

One more thing, it’s going to be hard to lose Kane. But I would sell him for 100m if he doesn’t commit to a new deal. Use that money and make Spurs a more solid, rounded team.

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Downside is you wont keep beating City all the time now.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yes, Ange is a smart manager, who plays exciting stuff. You guys will entertain this season.

I think of Eddie Howe last season, earlier Klopp teams and also what United are looking like doing. Turning the team into attacking monsters. But with a bit more Brighton style with Ange. Using positional play to find players and move the ball.

You’ll have a good season and may challenge for the top 4 if you can settle in time.

Longer term though, your team needs to learn how to control games completely, if you want to win big trophies. It’s fun to attack attack all the time. But it’s not good enough when you are playing top teams.
Ange knows this, and will adapt your style more to make you stronger, if given time.

One more thing, it’s going to be hard to lose Kane. But I would sell him for 100m if he doesn’t commit to a new deal. Use that money and make Spurs a more solid, rounded team.
Agrees he will need to learn when to shut up shop and just take the win.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
But but everyone tells me that you need a whole new squad and a couple of seasons to implement a new style of play…
That’s a nice bit of play out from the back but usually there are two main tests of implementing a new style of play - I) Doing it in the proper competitive season over a long period of time - we have had many preseasons where we looked only to revert to disjoint football in the actual season because team’s ability to disrupt your flow multiplies and II) how effective you are in implementing a new style - there’s literally no point in changing a style but achieving / continuing mediocrity

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Sorry but when did it become obvious that Newcastle or us are going to soon become or plan to become attacking monsters?

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
Sorry but when did it become obvious that Newcastle or us are going to soon become or plan to become attacking monsters?
You don’t think so?

From what I’ve seen from United so far this preseason, they are quite focused on creating and attacking space, with combinations and direct play. This in addition to Ten Hag speaking about being the best transition team.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Was reading Anges comments after the game, and watching the highlight. I’m sorry but this guy just oozes confidence. Players clearly just want to perform for him, again our results have been bad preseason but I don’t think that really matters. In the first half we pressed them so hard, they looked terrified on the ball. Like they couldn’t wait to offload it onto someone else.

The new faith and confidence in the lead up to a new season. Of course he could be gone by Christmas, time will tell.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think it’s why we’re bringing in new CBS, I do have a lot of time for Dier but in a high line he’s awful, I like Romero but he’s so volition you never know what he’s gonna do. I think we will be mostly started the new guys we brought once they settle in.

the_cliff

I think it’s why we’re bringing in new CBS, I do have a lot of time for Dier but in a high line he’s awful, I like Romero but he’s so volition you never know what he’s gonna do. I think we will be mostly started the new guys we brought once they settle in.
Van der Ven looks a good signing as he is rapid but it's not just the defence you'd have to worry about. The midfield will have to have extremely good control as you can't afford any errors. Do you think your fans and the board will have the patience with him because there's going to be some bad results ? The football will improve of course but there will be some big losses in there, especially this first season while your team gets used to the style of play.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I agree, have the seen the highlights of their pre season games and watched the game vs Barca. Will be a welcome relief after going through 2-3 years of Mourinho/Conte ball, I just wonder if they'll have the patience to stick by him after some of the drubbings they receive. Especially against teams that are good in quick transition and counter pressing.
Yeah they'll need to take the good with the bad until they have the right players that fit Ange's ideas better, but if I was a Spurs fan I'd be buzzing with just watching an entertaining brand of football after 3-4 years of very dull, defensive managers. He's only been there a few weeks and the real football hasn't started yet but if what we see during the season is great football, lots of goals, the occasional hammering and the team hovering around 6th-8th place, I'd say that's a good first season for the coach with a good foundation to build on.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah they'll need to take the good with the bad until they have the right players that fit Ange's ideas better, but if I was a Spurs fan I'd be buzzing with just watching an entertaining brand of football after 3-4 years of very dull, defensive managers. He's only been there a few weeks and the real football hasn't started yet but if what we see during the season is great football, lots of goals, the occasional hammering and the team hovering around 6th-8th place, I'd say that's a good first season for the coach with a good foundation to build on.
Indeed. I think this is key. If your talking about a manager in terms of building a project, building a style of play, while playing entertaining, front forward football then Ange is a very good coach to have.

However, in terms of doing so, not so much the fans but Levy's expectations need to be realistic, and they shouldn't panic at not being or contending for top 4 straight away, as long as he's able to sustain this style across the season, and incrementally add better players more suited to his style over the next couple of seasons.

However, whether that would be good enough for Levy and the board, remains to be seen.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Corrected that for you. Also not sure what you see in Romero, so rash and error-prone.
i agree, i think people are harsh on Dier, not that I should expect other fans to do he has been pretty I’ll recently. In his first season under Poch he was brilliant. Romero is a good defender but yeah he can be rash.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Van der Ven looks a good signing as he is rapid but it's not just the defence you'd have to worry about. The midfield will have to have extremely good control as you can't afford any errors. Do you think your fans and the board will have the patience with him because there's going to be some bad results ? The football will improve of course but there will be some big losses in there, especially this first season while your team gets used to the style of play.
Honestly yes, Levy’s popular airy is in the toilet, he has fecked up constantly since Poch. Poor choice after poor choice. Don’t get me wrong it’s water off a ducks back to him, but with the bother Lewis has found himself in, I think we will be sold sooner rather than later. Us spurs fans have seen toiket footballfor 4 years now, we can live without honours but at least entertain.

We do have good individual players, eapaicallt in midfield I just think we have been horribly managed. I rate Bassuma, Sarr, Skipp /‘d Bentancur. I think it’s been a lack of management rather than a lack of ability. I think with the addition of Madison we will be much better next season, at least entertaining.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Indeed. I think this is key. If your talking about a manager in terms of building a project, building a style of play, while playing entertaining, front forward football then Ange is a very good coach to have.

However, in terms of doing so, not so much the fans but Levy's expectations need to be realistic, and they shouldn't panic at not being or contending for top 4 straight away, as long as he's able to sustain this style across the season, and incrementally add better players more suited to his style over the next couple of seasons.

However, whether that would be good enough for Levy and the board, remains to be seen.
I think selling Kane could inadvertently help him.

With Kane staying they'll be pressure for short term success while he's still there regardless of the fact the squad aren't good enough for that, without him Ange would get 1 possibly even 2 free hit season's.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Honestly yes, Levy’s popular airy is in the toilet, he has fecked up constantly since Poch. Poor choice after poor choice. Don’t get me wrong it’s water off a ducks back to him, but with the bother Lewis has found himself in, I think we will be sold sooner rather than later. Us spurs fans have seen toiket footballfor 4 years now, we can live without honours but at least entertain.

We do have good individual players, eapaicallt in midfield I just think we have been horribly managed. I rate Bassuma, Sarr, Skipp /‘d Bentancur. I think it’s been a lack of management rather than a lack of ability. I think with the addition of Madison we will be much better next season, at least entertaining.
I reckon you have had loads of players in defence, midfield and attack performing 60-70% below their true capacity. Save for Kane and a handful Under the last few managers.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I think selling Kane could inadvertently help him.

With Kane staying they'll be pressure for short term success while he's still there regardless of the fact the squad aren't good enough for that, without him Ange would get 1 possibly even 2 free hit season's.
I agree. I'm not one of those that subscribe to Spurs automatically becoming a mid table team when Kane leaves. Other players tend to step up, someone like Richarlison could thrive for instance, they still have decent goal scorers with the likes of Son and Maddison as well. Having an attacking coach will make a big difference in getting these guys goal tallies up, as he demands his players flood the box.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
They need to sell Kane for big money to Bayern and revamp their CB's. The backline shipped 63 goals, embarrassing stuff, Dier benched, Sanchez, Davies, Rodon, Tanganga sold. Romero is rash in the challenge but at least is composed on the ball, probably keep him.

Already got some young kid in, but they need some experience in that defence, not sure a pairing of Romero and a kid fresh to the PL is what you want as your 2 main CB's, with Dier as your rotation player.

Apart from that I think Son and Kulu will do well, dont overly rate Richard Arlinson or Solomon for that matter, but still a solid front three. I think the midfield looks really good, Bissouma, Bentancur, Maddison, and got Skip and Sarr as rotation in there.

Wont get top four but I dont see them as mid table either.

Joel Miller

It’ll only be a matter of time before sides prey on their defensive fragility and the honeymoon period is soon forgotten for their new manager.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
They need to sell Kane for big money to Bayern and revamp their CB's. The backline shipped 63 goals, embarrassing stuff, Dier benched, Sanchez, Davies, Rodon, Tanganga sold. Romero is rash in the challenge but at least is composed on the ball, probably keep him.

Already got some young kid in, but they need some experience in that defence, not sure a pairing of Romero and a kid fresh to the PL is what you want as your 2 main CB's, with Dier as your rotation player.

Apart from that I think Son and Kulu will do well, dont overly rate Richard Arlinson or Solomon for that matter, but still a solid front three. I think the midfield looks really good, Bissouma, Bentancur, Maddison, and got Skip and Sarr as rotation in there.

Wont get top four but I dont see them as mid table either.
Lo Celso has also come back and has fitted in well, hopefully we end up getting something out of him after all. Perisic has done well too, probably our best attacking player over pre-season.

Dier may have ended his Spurs career last night whilst Sanchez may have saved his. Both should go really but Sanchez is probably better suited to playing the high-line we're setting up with.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Did anyone wath the full game? We looked very good, I’m actually looking forward to entertaining foorball again. Would be funny if Kane left and we won a cup, #Spursy. Seriously thou it’s like night and day from the past 3-4 seasons.
That's how I felt about United after about 6-7 games last season. Was like we emerged from 9 seasons of outdated football into the modern football World.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I agree. I'm not one of those that subscribe to Spurs automatically becoming a mid table team when Kane leaves. Other players tend to step up, someone like Richarlison could thrive for instance, they still have decent goal scorers with the likes of Son and Maddison as well. Having an attacking coach will make a big difference in getting these guys goal tallies up, as he demands his players flood the box.
Reminds me a bit of when we sold Hazard all be it had the ban aswell.

For that first season Lampard was under absolutely no pressure for his job (which is unheard of for Roman's Chelsea) and it showed with the level of freedom we were playing with on the pitch and in Lampard's team selections.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
That's how I felt about United after about 6-7 games last season. Was like we emerged from 9 seasons of outdated football into the modern football World.
i think witht the amount of doping in City and Newcastle now, all we can really ask for is a good game to enjoy. Winning shot never was really why I support Tottenham…. That’s pretty obvious:rolleyes: