Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
I'll make you a bet of any size you like that Utd will finish ahead of Newcastle. Only caveat is the bet has to be at the very minimum £200.

Show me how much you believe in those statistics moving forward.
Im sorry mate, Im not able to bet with you.

But I will be here when it all plays out, to admit I was wrong if I am, that's a promise.

OverratedOpinion

Fun fact I just heard which sounded made up to me. Ange was once managed by Ferenc Puskás and acted as his personal driver.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
So that's Spurs fecked. Zero chance they're getting CL football, and i would say they're probably going to finish around 8th again. I'm guessing the manager must've known that there was a high probability that Kane would leave, but it still puts him in a shit position.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
So that's Spurs fecked. Zero chance they're getting CL football, and i would say they're probably going to finish around 8th again. I'm guessing the manager must've known that there was a high probability that Kane would leave, but it still puts him in a shit position.
Less pressure on him I guess.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Less pressure on him I guess.
Yeah, maybe. I suppose he will get some leeway now.

I just can't see who the hell is going to get the goals for them. And as we've seen ourselves as United fans, the striker market is a difficult market to dive into, so it's not as if there's an abundance of options to replace him, either.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Fun fact I just heard which sounded made up to me. Ange was once managed by Ferenc Puskás and acted as his personal driver.
I think he just drove him to the airport once. He also occasionally helped translate Puskas's words from Greek to English, as Puskas had had done a stint managing in Greece and used the Greek language to do most of his coaching at South Melbourne Hellas, which was a club founded and supported by Greek immigrants like Ange.

I believe Ange has mentioned that those years playing under Puskas were his biggest influences in football.

That's Ange on the left holding the 1991 national championship with Puskas. Ange was Puskas's captain.

Last edited:

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
Actually to be fair, you were right. From The Athletic:

Puskas did not speak English, but he spoke Greek well after previously managing Panathinaikos and AEK Athens, and Postecoglou was often his translator for the rest of his team as well as his on-field lieutenant. “I’d often pick him up from his house and drive him to the ground,” Postecoglou told Gorman in 2014. “I spent a lot of time chatting about football with him — people talk a lot about me being an attacking coach, and that was where the seed was sown. I loved it. He was so much more open than the previous coaches who were so regimented and structured.”

OverratedOpinion

Actually to be fair, you were right. From The Athletic:

Puskas did not speak English, but he spoke Greek well after previously managing Panathinaikos and AEK Athens, and Postecoglou was often his translator for the rest of his team as well as his on-field lieutenant. “I’d often pick him up from his house and drive him to the ground,” Postecoglou told Gorman in 2014. “I spent a lot of time chatting about football with him — people talk a lot about me being an attacking coach, and that was where the seed was sown. I loved it. He was so much more open than the previous coaches who were so regimented and structured.”
Yeah either way I just think it's a really interesting connection that seemed totally random to me because I didn't even know Puskás ever coached in Australia.

I feel like that generation of players had much more interesting careers in a way.

Castia

I don't understand why they've literally waited until the day the PL starts to sell him. Mad decision they'll struggle like mad to finish top 7 this season and Ange will probably lose his job

OverratedOpinion

I don't understand why they've literally waited until the day the PL starts to sell him. Mad decision they'll struggle like mad to finish top 7 this season and Ange will probably lose his job
I honestly wonder if part of it is so that Levy can say "oh well there just wasn't enough time" if he's pressed on not getting a proper replacement.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah either way I just think it's a really interesting connection that seemed totally random to me because I didn't even know Puskás ever coached in Australia.

I feel like that generation of players had much more interesting careers in a way.
We had a few interesting names turn up in the old National Soccer League before it got disbanded and replaced by the A-League. Peter Beardsley and Ian Rush both made appearances for Melbourne Knights and Sydney Olympic respectively. Tommy Docherty coached at South Melbourne Hellas and Sydney Olympic in the early 80s. This is probably the funniest one of all though:

EireRed_GS

I like big Ange, he proved alot of people wrong at Celtic.. doesnt seem to take any crap.

But by jesus, he must be furious with Levy waiting til the last minute to accept the bid for Kane. Left him with no time or decent options for a replacement. He must be wondering what he got himself into

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I like big Ange, he proved alot of people wrong at Celtic.. doesnt seem to take any crap.

But by jesus, he must be furious with Levy waiting til the last minute to accept the bid for Kane. Left him with no time or decent options for a replacement. He must be wondering what he got himself into
He's obviously not on the same planet as Kane, but Richarlison is a perfectly decent PL level striker. If I was them, I'd be wanting to spend that money on their midfield and defence rather than trying to find a striker who's even half as good as Kane.

Of course, they'll probably piss it up the wall like thy did with the Bale money though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Finished 8th last season with him.
With Chelsea certain to be better than their disaster last year and Villa and Newcastle very likely to be above them, there's every chance they don't get top half.

Marauder1

Supports
Ex Liverpool.Football Agnostic

Ah he must of been prepared for it, its not like this has been some secret. I like him aswell and maybe losing kane wont be the worst thing. Gives them abit of cash and no one expects anything now so maybe the pressure will ease on him and give him more time to adjust and put his own mark on the team.

December_16

Teams with decent strikers know Spurs has a lot of moolah burning in their pocket too, so they will just demand whatever they want. So glad we got Hojlund over the finish line.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
He's obviously not on the same planet as Kane, but Richarlison is a perfectly decent PL level striker. If I was them, I'd be wanting to spend that money on their midfield and defence rather than trying to find a striker who's even half as good as Kane.

Of course, they'll probably piss it up the wall like thy did with the Bale money though.
Yeah, they will be hoping to replace Kane with the combined output of Maddison and Richarlison.

They will hardly find a single player who can replicate that, let alone with a random last minute punt.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Ange seemed pretty relaxed about it all in his press conference, said he knew the move was probable so had been planning all along with that in mind.

Got to say, I love listening to him talk, hopefully I still feel that way in a few months' time :D

Robbie Boy

Yup, seems mental.

Are Spurs even linked with a credible replacement?

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think they’ll be okay. Son, Richarlison, Kuluveski and Maddison isn’t a bad attack, if they can buy another good striker with their Kane money then it shouldn’t be too bad a season.

Joel Miller

Vintage Levy, waiting until the very last minute to sell his biggest asset so there’s probably not enough time left to reinvest :lol:

dinostar77

They dont need to buy a striker, richardison and the 19 year old striker they bought apparently is enough. They need to buy wingers to make the system work.

jem

Ange seemed pretty relaxed about it all in his press conference, said he knew the move was probable so had been planning all along with that in mind.

Got to say, I love listening to him talk, hopefully I still feel that way in a few months' time :D
who knows how it will play out but he is so impressive in interviews/press conferences. Just seems like a total dude and you can imagine his players love him.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Will be interested to watch Spurs a bit this season for me being I am Australian and that they will actually be playing attacking football. I think they could be on the end of a few thrashings and deal out a few themselves. Will be good for the neutrals no doubt.

Trequarista10

Levy bought Kane's replacement last season.

Very few sides can have a £50m backup striker, and Spurs ain't one of those sides.

Munkehboi

Richarlison to play the Furuhashi role, Kuluveski to play the Maeda role and Son in the Jota role. Theres pace and workrate there so could work out well for him.

JuriM

Who is going to fill the Kane boots and be the top scorer? Who are they gonna whip the 100m on?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Has his spurs side playing very good football. To early to tell, but might be the best managerial appointment for spurs post and perhaps even pre Pochettino. Wonder if he will go unbeaten at home this season like he did at Celtics. I know spurs at home won't be an easy victory though

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He is a very average manager. He biggest club job up to now was Celtic ffs. We have made him look like a top level coach.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Has his spurs side playing very good football. To early to tell, but might be the best managerial appointment for spurs post and perhaps even pre Pochettino. Wonder if he will go unbeaten at home this season like he did at celtic.
Ange is a better manager than Poch, gets his team's playing football on the front foot and builds a team without any superstars.

Best managerial appointment Spurs have made since 'Arry.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Just like Wolves last week, we're making them look so much better than they are because they have the freedom of the pitch.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I don't think they look particularly good. We've just been remarkably shit.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
It’s far too early to tell. You can’t judge a manager based on a few games and until he has his own players in.

He likes really quick and direct wingers and a high workrate striker who scores goals. His full backs play inverted and he plays a high tempo.

None of this team are used to those tactics but they seem to be buying into it already and they’re looking good.

They definitely need a striker and another winger.

Early signs are very positive for Spurs though. Looks the real deal to me.