Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

marktan

You know what I'm jealous of Spurs.

Absolute mess last season. Levy out, Enic out, 5-0 down after 2-0 minutes against Newcastle. Lose Kane.

Hire a manager who's biggest job at the age of 58 has been managing Celtic. Suddenly Spurs are playing like world beaters, beautiful football, everyone loving the "Angeball". Some talk about how they could challenge City this season

Meanwhile at United it's misery after misery and "it could take years for United to even be close to being a top 4 team." And if Postecoglu was United's manager you just know we'd still be playing tumescent football and if Ten Hag was with Spurs they'd be a joy to watch.
True but it's primarily due to recruitment. Spurs have made good signings, Bissouma e.g. I really liked at Brighton and wanted here, but we didn't even look at him. Similar story with someone like Mahrez who would've been a good fit for United a few years back. And the likes of Sarr, Udogie, Kulesevski etc have looked good for Spurs. Madison another.

United's biggest problem by far is that we still allow the manager to pick and sign players, which leads us to sign some really underheleming ones as no manager these days can keep on top of every league and every team so invariably just sign players they've coached or watched once or twice.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
True, managed to get Spurs playing attacking football in 1 month after years of defensive shite.
But you have to wait until he wins a trophy or plays more than 10 games, i was told.

The football itself is amazing to watch if not the best quality. Certainly better than what we are serving.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
If Spurs keep their starting 11 fit until January, 3/4 new signings would put them in a very good position.

You could see their performance drop off when Son and Maddison went off. Ange liked to change his front 3 or at least 2 of them when at Celtic because of the intensity they play with. He can’t do that at Spurs yet and maintain performance.

They need another centre back in the event of an injury to Romero and VDV who have been excellent.

Another midfielder to compete with Maddison.

Two attackers to relieve the pressure on the front 3 they have at the moment. They only really have Solomon to bring on at the moment.

Spurs have been great to watch. If there is ever a time Levy needs to support a manager it’s now.

RVN1991

If Spurs keep their starting 11 fit until January, 3/4 new signings would put them in a very good position.

You could see their performance drop off when Son and Maddison went off. Ange liked to change his front 3 or at least 2 of them when at Celtic because of the intensity they play with. He can’t do that at Spurs yet and maintain performance.

They need another centre back in the event of an injury to Romero and VDV who have been excellent.

Another midfielder to compete with Maddison.

Two attackers to relieve the pressure on the front 3 they have at the moment. They only really have Solomon to bring on at the moment.

Spurs have been great to watch. If there is ever a time Levy needs to support a manager it’s now.
Bentancur coming back from injury could be huge for them if he gets back to form, but yes they still have some holes to fill in that squad.

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
A Matip miskick away from being slated as unable to beat 9 man Liverpool.

RomfordRed75

They've used their entire seasons luck up by the end of September. Got away with a blatant penalty against us, somehow beating Sheffield United and getting the offside decision yesterday.
They could well have been sitting on 8 points instead of 17.
But i am not worried, as the great man once said, lads it Spurs

dinostar77

They've used their entire seasons luck up by the end of September. Got away with a blatant penalty against us, somehow beating Sheffield United and getting the offside decision yesterday.
They could well have been sitting on 8 points instead of 17.
But i am not worried, as the great man once said, lads it Spurs
i believe the phrase now is "lads its man utd"

they all chuckle.

Andersonson

A Matip miskick away from being slated as unable to beat 9 man Liverpool.
They really struggled against 10. Against 9 they couldnt open them up. They dont have the quality to match City , but ange is atleast getting some postives and good football to Spurs. More than we can say about ourselves

Sylar

Tbf weren't good things being said about Conte when he first went in half way through the season?

Tyrion

Tbf weren't good things being said about Conte when he first went in half way through the season?
Who's Conte? Everyone knows that when discussing football, only the previous few weeks count.

RVN1991

Only Romero, Son and Kulusevski feature prominently from that conte side TBF.

croadyman

But you have to wait until he wins a trophy or plays more than 10 games, i was told.

The football itself is amazing to watch if not the best quality. Certainly better than what we are serving.
Yeah and he has put fight into them too,just look at these past few results to see it

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Ange is doing a great job but also catching every break possible so far and greatly benefiting from being out of Europe and the League Cup early as well.

There's a very realistic alternative timeline where Spurs lost to all three of United (if they took a chance or two in that dominant first half), Arsenal (if not catching them during an injury crisis), and Liverpool while not getting a miracle pair of goals to take all three points at home against Sheffield United.

At some point these kind of things will even out a bit but I think they'll still have enough to have a Newcastle-like season where they take advantage of being fresher than all other top sides and use that energy and cohesiveness to drive toward 3rd or 4th place. They'll end up playing 40-45 matches total this year whereas teams in Europe could do 55-60. That's not a small difference.

crossy1686

career ending
Ange is proof managers don’t need years to turn around style of play.

His spurs team lost arguably the best striker in the world, and look a better team for it.
You don't understand mate. We need to give our new managers £1b to spend so they can bring all their own players in and only after 3 years can we judge them and the style of football because: Glazers

Sylar

Our fanbase is the most fickle out there.
I don't have much interaction with other fan bases online, it's mostly from people I know.
With united fans, I see a lot on here and twitter (x) and I'm guessing it might be true but it's hard for me to compare.
I'll just say united fans were happy with Eth last season

They play much more proactive now to be fair.
Compared to Conte when he was sacked? Or to begin with? All I know is the spurs fans I know we're extremely happy with Conte when he came in ,happy with the football and progress they made and were hoping he would be backed by levy to take the next step of challenging.
Don't get me wrong losing kane and getting these results are good. But they've had luck go their way with the offside goal v Liverpool as well as the OG, the handball V united at 0-0 (plus we also scored an og), the sheff utd? Result given it was said they would have taken a drawn going into the 90th minute.

I do think they've signed well, + son going back to his form of a few seasons ago

Who's Conte? Everyone knows that when discussing football, only the previous few weeks count.
Haha. I thought Conte was a bad fit for spurs much like Jose was. Ange/ potter / Howe seems more a type or associate with getting to spurs and I think the momentum they have built will help.

Only Romero, Son and Kulusevski feature prominently from that conte side TBF.
Is this a positive for Conte?

tomaldinho1

I don't have much interaction with other fan bases online, it's mostly from people I know.
With united fans, I see a lot on here and twitter (x) and I'm guessing it might be true but it's hard for me to compare.
I'll just say united fans were happy with Eth last season
There’s a lot of dissatisfaction within the United fanbase, most of it justified, but it leads to basically thinking the grass is greener on just about every possible way. Any transfer that works out well for another team, we should have signed, any manager who wins a few games when they start, we should have signed, any player who looks half decent we should sign, any youth player who looks half decent should be starting immediately.

The positive you can definitely say about Ange is he’s quickly got them playing a much more entertaining style of football. The part people seem to ignore is they’ve ridden their luck a lot and is that style going to be enough to get CL football? I’d say probably not. They also have Son who despite being older is still an elite finisher and United still have the issue of goals.

Sylar

There’s a lot of dissatisfaction within the United fanbase, most of it justified, but it leads to basically thinking the grass is greener on just about every possible way. Any transfer that works out well for another team, we should have signed, any manager who wins a few games when they start, we should have signed, any player who looks half decent we should sign, any youth player who looks half decent should be starting immediately.

The positive you can definitely say about Ange is he’s quickly got them playing a much more entertaining style of football. The part people seem to ignore is they’ve ridden their luck a lot and is that style going to be enough to get CL football? I’d say probably not. They also have Son who despite being older is still an elite finisher and United still have the issue of goals.
I get the bolded. Im just not sure how that compares to other fanbases as I dont spend as much time with them as I do with United fans, or redcafe for example.

I do agree about Ange overall. I want to see how this translates to over 15-20 games. It obviously helps theyve faced United, Arsenal and Liverpool and come out unbeaten (winning their two home games).

Cloud7

While I know it’s very unrealistic it would be very funny if Spurs won something this season and Bayern didn’t

Tyrion

Haha. I thought Conte was a bad fit for spurs much like Jose was. Ange/ potter / Howe seems more a type or associate with getting to spurs and I think the momentum they have built will help.
Definitely. It helps that he actually wants to be there and sees it as a club he can build up and help his own career in the process rather than a short-term charity gig which is kinda how Conte saw it.

Winrar

While I know it’s very unrealistic it would be very funny if Spurs won something this season and Bayern didn’t
I would think this was almost possible if Spurs wasn't known for being serial bottlers.

For the record. I think Leverkusen can mount a serious title challenge this season... although they used to be quite notoriously called Neverkusen themselves.

TheReligion

Abusive
that’s because the majority of the Caf fan age bracket is in its teens.

the sort who will be cruising on line for the latest AI girlfriend

dinostar77

This has happened before i think, when Owen left liverpool and Henry left Arsenal. Both teams won big trophies. Unless im going senile.

led_scholes

This has happened before i think, when Owen left liverpool and Henry left Arsenal. Both teams won big trophies. Unless im going senile.
What did Arsenal win when Henry left? They did reach CL semis, but that's all.

Redstain

Everyone saying new manager bounce but its more like a coach bounce as Tottenham are one of the top playing sides in the league (early in the season but still relevant). A manager bounce is typically individual performers that raise their level. Spurs have a system, structure they are progressive in their phases of play. These are not suggestive of new manager bounce but rather a fully functional ethos that the manager has instilled. It's an interesting theory but all of the best managers in the world predominantly in the modern day are sublime coaches. Tottenham seemingly have an underrated manager but a very astute coach. The directive for every club looking for success moving forward should be based on this sentiment as managers who are good at managing but not great at coaching are reclining year on year with Mourinho the last of the dying breed in this regard.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Everyone saying new manager bounce but its more like a coach bounce as Tottenham are one of the top playing sides in the league (early in the season but still relevant).
1 injury to Son or Maddison away from being average however. Son goes and you are looking at a front three of Solomon, Richarlison and Kulusevski. They have no one who can do what Maddison does for them, Maddison goes off and all Big Ange has on the bench are DM's in the shape of Hojbjerg and Skip. Who are just run of the mill midfield destroyers, the drop off in quality is perhaps the worst of the "top" teams. But no European football to contend with so less chance of injuries.

When Bentancur is back their midfield looks solid, Bissouma, Sarr, Bentancur and either Hojbjerg or Skip as backup.

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
1 injury to Son or Maddison away from being average however. Son goes and you are looking at a front three of Solomon, Richarlison and Kulusevski. They have no one who can do what Maddison does for them, Maddison goes off and all Big Ange has on the bench are DM's in the shape of Hojbjerg and Skip. Who are just run of the mill midfield destroyers, the drop off in quality is perhaps the worst of the "top" teams. But no European football to contend with so less chance of injuries.

When Bentancur is back their midfield looks solid, Bissouma, Sarr, Bentancur and either Hojbjerg or Skip as backup.
Spurs also have Brennan Johnson who started on the left against Arsenal. They also have Veliz (19 y/o Argentinian) who got a few minutes against Liverpool. Perisic's injury may mean that Spurs will need another winger in January.

In the midfield, Lo Celso is backup for Maddison. He played in preseason friendlies in the no 10 role as well as against Brentford when he was subbed in.

Edit: Bryan Gil should return soon from injury also.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I see he has had style implemented in the u18 and u21 squads. That’s a really positive approach long term.

Said before, Postecoglu is the best signing Spurs have made in many a year.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Ange is proof managers don’t need years to turn around style of play.

His spurs team lost arguably the best striker in the world, and look a better team for it.
Valid point. Probably helps having a collection of players that desire to play as a unit and not as individuals, and probably have a solid collective football IQ.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Looks like they've got their recruitment spot on this summer. Udogie, Van der Ven, Maddison, Vicario and Johnson all good quality young signings for now and the future.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Looks like they've got their recruitment spot on this summer. Udogie, Van der Ven, Maddison, Vicario and Johnson all good quality young signings for now and the future.
Udogie was signed last year but yes, they've made good moves in the past two seasons.