Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
When it works, it's a treat. When it doesn't, fans will be in for a long day.

Great for neutrals

Stadjer

When it works, it's a treat. When it doesn't, fans will be in for a long day.

Great for neutrals
Even if it isnt working, it is still fun to watch the actual football. I doubt Spurs fans were expecting to win anything but they do get to look forward to every match.

Stadjer

If you arent competing for the title then a manager like Ange is likely the best type of manager you can have.

You can hope to see a entertaining game of football every week. Players get a chance to express themselfs and show attacking quality which likely will increase their value. Young and unknown players get a chance to develop.

Currently Ange and Spurs have just as much chance to finish top 4 than Manchester United and Newcastle United.... and i think Spurs fans have more fun watching the type of football that is on show.

AshRK

If you arent competing for the title then a manager like Ange is likely the best type of manager you can have.

You can hope to see a entertaining game of football every week. Players get a chance to express themselfs and show attacking quality which likely will increase their value. Young and unknown players get a chance to develop.

Currently Ange and Spurs have just as much chance to finish top 4 than Manchester United and Newcastle United.... and i think Spurs fans have more fun watching the type of football that is on show.
I do agree about his football and it is definitely fun to watch when it works. The issue is such football when things go wrong will lead to more criticism at a club like Manchester United. Here if a manager even sneezes he will be questioned. Based on how much criticism our club receives If Agne was our manager he would have given up on his fun philosophy after first heavy defeat. I remember lvg started promisingly and after the first heavy defeat against Leicester he was mocked and had to abandon gung ho style of football and focus on result first football.

redmeister

It's just about the quality of the players. If he had a top class striker and another top class wide forward, they would have destroyed Villa, West Ham and Chelsea. That's even with the defensive injuries. If Pep or Klopp had this group of players, they'd be doing no better. That first half against West Ham was outstanding football, but Johnson is nowhere near ready to be playing in such a high quality team, Kulusevski isn't really suited to being a wide forward (clearly much better in the middle) and Son isn't a natural striker. Villa looked nowhere near as good as Tottenham, not even close, but again got off beign absolutely thumped, due to lack of quality finishing. Yet Villa are seen as going great atm. If Ange sticks to his principals as is able to buy a natural front man and another wide attacker, they will be devestating.

Teja

Title race aside, if someone told me Kane-less Spurs would implement a new high-pressing philosophy and give it as good as they get against sides like Newcastle, I'd have laughed in their face. He's doing a solid job. Still don't think they'll make top four.

Ludens the Red

I do agree about his football and it is definitely fun to watch when it works. The issue is such football when things go wrong will lead to more criticism at a club like Manchester United. Here if a manager even sneezes he will be questioned. Based on how much criticism our club receives If Agne was our manager he would have given up on his fun philosophy after first heavy defeat. I remember lvg started promisingly and after the first heavy defeat against Leicester he was mocked and had to abandon gung ho style of football and focus on result first football.
This isn’t true at all. We came 3rd last season, got pumped several times without playing particularly great football and nobody was really criticising Ten hag. You actually get backed a lot as United manager for doing the bare minimal at times. Ten Hag or Ole or Mourinhos downfall wasn’t playing football that was too good but producing a few poor results. Their downfall was playing shite football and getting shite results. Just as Ten Hag is currently doing. Yes when you’re doing badly the United job can become a massive burden but if you do alright you can be on top of the world.

This thread makes me laugh though. Because for some United fans (you Know the ones who bump the thread if Spurs lose) Ange has basically blown every excuse they’ve used for Ten Hag and previous managers out the window. You don’t need 4 transfer windows and amazing players to be able to make significant alterations to a style of play. All you need is a confident manager who believes and knows what he’s doing and is capable of drilling a team to play a certain way. Unfortunately Manchester United have never bothered hiring such a manager.
All that chuckling about being level with spurs, give it a month and we’ll be double figures behind them. They are playing exciting football and their fans are very happy with how things are going. They’re not expecting to win a title this year or probably next but they know they’re going in the right direction. With a few transfer windows there’s potential there to take them up to the levels of Arsenal, Pool and City if they can sustain this style of play.
We were level on points before today, but it was false. Compare the fanbases and the confidence in the managers. Miles apart.

bosskeano

it's also easier for them right now as they have had little to no interruptions to their schedule. they are playing once a week or once every 10 days where as the other top sides, minus Villa, are playing every 3-4 days

lets see what happens with the fa cup or if they just opt out of that and just focus on league play

totally different task when you have to deal with playing every 3-4 days, squad rotation and injuries/suspensions.....they dealt with suspensions for a brief time and that showed in their results. shows lack of squad depth which thankfully for them they aren't in europe and no domestic cup games

The Purley King

ETH has survived some horrible record setting adverse results.
I think most people would be patient as long as they can see the overall plan.
That is starting to unravel for ETH right now but it’s clear as day for Spurs. Not to say that might change though.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
They had a run of poor results but the fact that they had Emerson Royal as their right CB tells you the depth of injuries they had. Before his injury Maddison was one of the in form players in the league and Spurs dont really have a like for like replacement for him. The closest is probably Lo Celso. Losing him and then their midfield and Van de Ven seen a slide in results. Sarr and Bissouma are back now, Romero back, Richarlison back. They are just missing Van De Ven, Bentancour, and Maddison.

I think they were unlucky with the Villa game, should have been out of sight in the first half. But that is football, didnt put Villa to the sword, paid the price, then had a reversal of that luck vs City. City should have killed off the match, did not, and Spurs came back into it.

Wolves was the only result where I think they were outplayed and not deserving to get anything. If they string together a run of games with everyone back fit I think they are still in the mix for CL spots. Definitely would not have predicted that when I seen they sold Kane to Bayern.

JogaBonitoRooney

He's back. The best man for the United job. Everyone's bandwagoning Xabi Alonso right now but Ange is still number 1.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
He's back. The best man for the United job. Everyone's bandwagoning Xabi Alonso right now but Ange is still number 1.
Is this a wind up? :lol:

I mean he is doing well, sure, but a bit premature for United. See how he gets on when he has to manage on a cold rainy night in Stoke.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
Is this a wind up? :lol:

I mean he is doing well, sure, but a bit premature for United. See how he gets on when he has to manage on a cold rainy night in Stoke.
I like him, he also just seems like a good bloke. But they’re not in Europe and thus are less fatigued and can train the whole week. The real test for him will be next season. You can see Howe at Newcastle struggling with it now (thankfully). They’re out now, but the damage might be done already.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I checked yesterday's lineup, and they were missing 8 players, and most of those players played decent number of minutes this season. Combined with selling their best player at start of the season, they are doing really well.

They get too much red cards, and they are leaking more goals than they should(which can be blamed on injuries tbf, but also some of bad play in second halfs), but for comparision they have scored almost double more goals than some other team that we cannot name because someone might get offended.

I am seriously interested how they do at end of the season and will they be caught with their running intensity, but I guess even top6 would be decent result this season after 8th place last season, and top4 would be extraordinary result which I think they can reach if they sort out their injury troubles.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Spurs still haven't spent the Kane money right? You can just roll into a deal for a new CB and throw down money you acquired from Bayern for the Kane deal?
I don't know tbh. We spent around £150m and recouped £120m. Either way though you can't just get by with two CBs and Ben Davies doubling up as LB and CB cover so there should be no excuses to not get a CB in as soon as the window opens, even if we have to pay a premium. Thankfully January is a quiet month in terms of the league but we can't go getting knocked out of the Cup early again.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Man Utd is the only league game in January before Brentford on the 31st which Romero and Van de Ven should both be back for
Yeah if ever there was a month for it to happen then January was it but regardless we still need a CB, I doubt there's another club in the league that only has two. I guess we have Dier as well technically but Ange doesn't want him.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Man Utd is the only league game in January before Brentford on the 31st which Romero and Van de Ven should both be back for
True. But they really should be going all out to compete for the FA Cup and they'll have to play two rounds in January to keep progressing. Spurs have played less football than just about every other PL side given no Europe and going out of the League Cup in August. One of Arsenal or Liverpool will be out after early January. And Pep has shown a willingness to rotate heavily even through the semi-finals, he doesn't really care about that competition.

Ludens the Red

Bissouma, Son and Sarr all away plus the players out. We’ve had a great touch being basically their only league game during that period.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Interesting to see his attacking bravado but yet to see any defensive nous from his teams. What do Spurs fans think?

spud u like

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Interesting to see his attacking bravado but yet to see any defensive nous from his teams. What do Spurs fans think?
I think our defensive record this season was pretty solid up until the Chelsea match when the wheels came off.

With Van de Venn and Romero, they were beginning to form a great CB partnership, which complimented each others style.

Any team losing their first choice CB's are going to likely leak a few goals, but i'm confident that come the end of January, when they're both fit again, defensively we will be much better.

Telsim

Thoroughly schooled by De Zerbi, though they do have many players missing. Then again, so do Brighton.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I think he's doing a pretty good job. I'd be more than happy as a Spurs fan overall, but it's beyond naive to play like that and not change it when the opposition are threatening to put 5 or 6 past you. It's not like it was prime Barcelona either. They were playing an injury hit Brighton.

They've got an opportunity for top 4 where United are a mess and Newcastle are faltering, and crazy performances like that could end up blowing it for them, because you don't always recover from a hiding for a few games, and other team's scouts/managers will have noted how easily Brighton picked them off.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Game against us will be fun. With that high line and press, think we have a decent chance especially given we now know how to play through the press.

Blood Mage

Far too attacking in his approach for a club like Spurs. I could see him doing amazing at City or Real Madrid because his football really is exciting to watch, but he needs top players across the pitch for it to work.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Game against us will be fun. With that high line and press, think we have a decent chance especially given we now know how to play through the press.
Should have blitzed them in the first 45 away. Really pissed off about that