Angel Di Maria | Performances | Wife: "He only joined United for money. The food was disgusting. The women look like porcelain"

justsomebloke

Not to be rude, but if you've not found 'international cuisine' that you like in London, that's more a you thing as opposed to a London thing.
Nope. Love it. And I didn't say good things couldn't be found, I said the quality generally wasn't that good. You get much better, say, chinese or north african food in a place like Geneva. Which shouldn't be the case! London SHOULD be great for that, with its huge market and global population. But somehow it isn't. Or maybe I was just unlucky (for two years).

Last edited:

justsomebloke

Sorry, that came out wrong...I didn't mean to seem snotty. What I meant was that it's all about knowing where to go. I've eaten fantastic south Asian food in London but I've also had some dreadful curries. Similarly, I've had some amazing Italian food in Puglia but I've also had some massive disappointments. I think you can almost always find great places to eat in big cities if you know where to look.
Very true! Research is always key, everywhere. But I think the best measure of general food culture is how likely you are to get good food if you choose a random restaurant.

Pickle85

Very true! Research is always key, everywhere. But I think the best measure of general food culture is how likely you are to get good food if you choose a random restaurant.
I think that's fair...the number of grim kebabies and greasy spoons doesn't exactly speak brilliantly for British cuisine!

Lecland07

Honestly, I find food in other countries quite overrated. It can be nice, but people make it out to be some out-of-this-world experience. It really isn't.

MoskvaRed

The standard of food in Manchester is not great IMO (speaking as someone who grew up there and goes back occasionally). Although, with reference to Mrs Gundoğan, there is more varierty than you’d find anywhere in Italy outside of Milan.

Red Star One

Honestly, I find food in other countries quite overrated. It can be nice, but people make it out to be some out-of-this-world experience. It really isn't.
well, there's cultures where they made food and dining truly out-of-the-world experience, and there's those where it's merely another aspect of life and something you have to do in order to survive. To each their own but I fully understand people valuing quality of food over anything else

criticalanalysis

Out of interest where are you talking about specifically and are you bit of a foodie i.e enjoys eating food and can find happiness in 'good food' or had those kind of experiences? Don't know how to say it without sounding corny but there you go. Obviously, I don't mean you have to have foodgasms but just generally. For example, when I think of a good texan style low and slow cooked brisket or an omakase with really good seafood (at the other end of the spectrum), my interest would definitely pique.

r0x0rwolfo

Food is such an odd thing. I love Italian food and I'm in Italy now but I've had possibly the worst Italian food I've ever had in any country in Italy several times. Last time it was microwaved half warm half cold rubbery pasta, absolutely disgusting.

You almost always need to research where you're going, no where is sacred. Italy can be very hit and miss, I'd probably say the low bar is higher in Manchester than a lot of places including here as you need to get local people on board and repeat business. Anywhere truly awful unless it can be propped by selling beer usually doesn't last long. I will admit that for above average food in Manchester you have to know where you're going, and a love of Indian food helps too.

For really conistently excellent food and service I would say Greece is tough to beat as another poster has said. I wouldn't generalise that to all of Southern Europe though, at least in terms of conistency.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I have tried a variety of dishes. South American, Mexican, American, British, European and Asian. Everyone will say the same thing “British food is terrible and bland”.It’s hard to disagree with that for the most part. Best food I had was in Japan and sadly nothing has ever quite reached that level of flavour.

M16Red

Our culture isn't really based around restaurants, as we had public houses for our local point.

M16Red

I have tried a variety of dishes. South American, Mexican, American, British, European and Asian. Everyone will say the same thing “British food is terrible and bland”.It’s hard to disagree with that for the most part. Best food I had was in Japan and sadly nothing has ever quite reached that level of flavour.
What is American food?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Go to Lima or Copenhagen and you will find it can be more than nice on a consistent basis.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Thread gets bumped to talk food :lol:

Meanwhile, robbers hit him again. This time though police was on the scene to stop them. One burglar caught

Kopral Jono

Food is such an odd thing. I love Italian food and I'm in Italy now but I've had possibly the worst Italian food I've ever had in any country in Italy several times. Last time it was microwaved half warm half cold rubbery pasta, absolutely disgusting.

You almost always need to research where you're going, no where is sacred. Italy can be very hit and miss, I'd probably say the low bar is higher in Manchester than a lot of places including here as you need to get local people on board and repeat business. Anywhere truly awful unless it can be propped by selling beer usually doesn't last long. I will admit that for above average food in Manchester you have to know where you're going, and a love of Indian food helps too.

For really conistently excellent food and service I would say Greece is tough to beat as another poster has said. I wouldn't generalise that to all of Southern Europe though, at least in terms of conistency.
Truer words have never been spoken. For a country known for its culinary prowess the number of mediocre meals I consumed there was each time a nasty surprise. Japan, from my experience, is the only place where one could enter a random restaurant without doing any kind of research and would still end up having an excellent meal. A tier below Japan on this in my book is Spain, or to be more specific San Sebastian and Barcelona. Two fantastic food cities.

As for the UK: as spoiled as the rat's (and Gundogan's) wife might sound, having previously lived in London, they absolutely have a point. Good food outside of London is not easy to find. Every bigger city seems to have at least one very good Cantonese restaurant, though, but I highly doubt football WAGs crave roasted duck on rice on a regular basis.

RedRoach

Having lived in both the UK and northern Spain for me the difference is in the base quality of the ingredients. I enjoy going out and eating in the UK, for the variety of cooking styles (Indian, Thai, Gastropubs etc.) but the great food in England is often about the sauce or the seasoning or externally infused flavour. If you don't like that you won''t like food in England.

In northern Spain you go to the restaurant and the food is not about the sauce. It is a 1KG T-bone steak cooked on a fire grill and sprinkled with a bit of thick sea salt and it is sensational quality.

It is getting line caught Seabass or Octopus or Hake fetched from the port on the day and having it cooked with a bit of olive oil and salt and parsley. The food is simple and simply cooked and the raw ingredient being so fresh just shines through.

It is getting served Tomatoes that have received the maximum amount of Sun with the best Olive oil that were not picked too early to put them in shipping containers and send them for export to the UK such that they taste of nothing.

In the UK it is hard to find good quality meat or fish that is fresh. You really have to go searching and in certain places I haven't found any restaurant that is even close to equivalent.

You can have really great meals though and I love a good Sunday roast, or curry night etc. but you have to like those things and many foreigners do not.

Kopral Jono

Having lived in both the UK and northern Spain for me the difference is in the base quality of the ingredients. I enjoy going out and eating in the UK, for the variety of cooking styles (Indian, Thai, Gastropubs etc.) but the great food in England is often about the sauce or the seasoning or externally infused flavour. If you don't like that you won''t like food in England.

In northern Spain you go to the restaurant and the food is not about the sauce. It is a 1KG T-bone steak cooked on a fire grill and sprinkled with a bit of thick sea salt and it is sensational quality.

It is getting line caught Seabass or Octopus or Hake fetched from the port on the day and having it cooked with a bit of olive oil and salt and parsley. The food is simple and simply cooked and the raw ingredient being so fresh just shines through.

It is getting served Tomatoes that have received the maximum amount of Sun with the best Olive oil that were not picked too early to put them in shipping containers and send them for export to the UK such that they taste of nothing.

In the UK it is hard to find good quality meat or fish that is fresh. You really have to go searching and in certain places I haven't found any restaurant that is even close to equivalent.

You can have really great meals though and I love a good Sunday roast, or curry night etc. but you have to like those things and many foreigners do not.
I once had grilled turbot in San Sebastian and it absolutely blew my mind. I suppose it’s these sort of dishes that these WAGs have in mind -- not necessarily lamb vindaloo or crispy aromatic duck.

RedRoach

I once had grilled turbot in San Sebastian and it absolutely blew my mind. I suppose it’s these sort of dishes that these WAGs have in mind -- not necessarily lamb vindaloo or crispy aromatic duck.
Yup the food in San Sebastián is often not fancily cooked, just amazing fresh quality over a fire grill but man is it good.

The Purley King

Excellent post and I agree 100%.
I was in Malta for work recently and had a tomato salad as a side dish for some fish. Just different types of tomato, finely chopped shallot, bit of olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and it was incredible. Make that with tomatoes from Tescos and it wouldn't taste nearly as good. Its why we try to grow a few things in the garden as they actually taste like they should do rather than the -50% flavour stuff in supermarkets.

RedChisel

It's ok. He's been robbed by suave Italian thieves not smelly horrible English ones so his wife will be happy.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
This is unbearable.

I will have to go to Manchester personally and find out whether what they say is true or not.

I wanted to know what the experience would be like for an Italian there, so I found this review from one of the restaurants mentioned in that article interesting:

Maybe it is just different standards.
The feedback I've got from people Spain and latin countries is that they don't like the food over there, so wouldn't surprise me if italians are the same. Then I wouldn't put much attention to the opinion of footballers, or their wives, for that matter.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Second this. From street food to standing restaurants to gourmet, Japan has a level of food of every cuisine I've not sampled better than. It's hard to eat bad food there; in other places you have to do research to eat well.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Second this. From street food to standing restaurants to gourmet, Japan has a level of food of every cuisine I've sampled better than. It's hard to eat bad food there; in other places you have to do research to eat well.
I love Japanese but street food better than India? Or SE asia? iono man

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I love Japanese but street food better than India? Or SE asia? iono man
I've not been to India, so can't factor it in. But across Japan (and I'm talking very broad strokes as the only place I haven't been to there is Hokkaido), the street food is exceptional and also cheap.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
What is American food?
Not sure what he meant in his, but a lot of fusions are generally considered “American” and are established enough to be their own category. An example would be “Tex Mex”

I would consider the staple foods and flavors in places like New Orleans to be pretty unique as well. Not really French, not really Southern, some Islands influence over the years as well. Creole food definitely seems evolved to its own thing.

A lot of disparate things coming together to evolve into something new

Nickosaur

Loving the food chat.

I'd say I'm well travelled. My opinion - You can get really good food, and really shit food everywhere.

TheReligion

Abusive
Ramsey, Heston and Jamie Oliver are pioneers in the industry.

American food? :lol:

They just take dishes from other cultures (as they have no history of their own).

M16Red

Now this is the thing, unless you've have a Sunday dinner cooked by someone's Mum, eaten it while watching football and fell asleep with country file on.

I'd say you've never had a good Sunday dinner.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Ramsey, Heston and Jamie Oliver are pioneers in the industry.

American food? :lol:

They just take dishes from other cultures (as they have no history of their own).
Well that’s a very narrow view. By definition pretty much every culture on earth would fit that bill if you go back far enough.

Do you think Korean or evenItalian food has been unique since time immemorial?

One of the best chefs in my area is, by birth, a mix of African American, Thai and Japanese. One of her parents ran a Southern soul food restarsunt outside of Atlanta, and her mom did most of the cooking at home. I would never consider tossing aside her gourmet chicken and waffles with Thai collards just to eat curry for the 10,000th time because it has “history”.

criticalanalysis

Anyone else who had a soft spot for this rat?
Not sure I should say this publicly as the general opinion is that he is some demon cnut but I never really got the hate he got. He was a world class talent and got screwed by LVG's tactics (moving him around, playing Falcao, RVP and Rooney on the same pitch etc) and perhaps didn't get the support he needed. Sure his performances tailed off but I'd rather we had accommodated and embraced his talent than the other passion/effort/teacher's pet FC. He should have been our talisman even if it was only going to last 2-4 years. Having said that, perhaps it was way worse behind the scenes and the relationship was unsalvageable etc.

I have a soft spot for talent, especially if they have proved it on the pitch for us and tend to ignore/don't read into media narratives too much.

The Purley King

When you are earning £100k+ a week as well as the best alarms ever surely you can hire some top notch in person security?
It’s a shame that the world has come to this but it is affordable.
Not that is like my kids to grow up in that environment though so maybe it is more nuanced than that

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
To be clear: he wasn't robbed. Robbers failed to get inside his house due to the quick police reaponse, after tripping the alarms

kaku06

Wherever he goes, the burglary follow him. Even the burglars don’t like this rat or maybe love him for some reason not that I’m condoning anything. It’s a shitty thing to happen to anyone but atleast he and his wife can’t blame Manchester and English people only for this.

Denis79

Second this. From street food to standing restaurants to gourmet, Japan has a level of food of every cuisine I've not sampled better than. It's hard to eat bad food there; in other places you have to do research to eat well.
Second this. Quality of the food in Japan is on another level.