Angel Gomes Watch

In Rainbows

I reckon he still will. Much too early to write a player off in their first season in a league. He will be a late bloomer and I fancy him to find his feet and do well in France over the next season or two and get a move back to England at some point. He was never going to be the answer here anyway for another few years so it would have been loans or a sale. No harm in it. Most players aren’t ready at 20 to play for Utd. We give the better 20 year olds way too much pressure and responsibility here as things stand and (post Fergie anyway) none have been the answer.
I think he should be played as a midfielder. Far less pressure to rub up against centerbacks, and far less pressure to affect the final 3rd. He's a very tidy footballer. You can negate his struggles by playing him there. He was really good in that role for United's youth sides when played in that role.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I reckon he still will. Much too early to write a player off in their first season in a league. He will be a late bloomer and I fancy him to find his feet and do well in France over the next season or two and get a move back to England at some point. He was never going to be the answer here anyway for another few years so it would have been loans or a sale. No harm in it. Most players aren’t ready at 20 to play for Utd. We give the better 20 year olds way too much pressure and responsibility here as things stand and (post Fergie anyway) none have been the answer.
Indeed, 21 is way too young. I thought he left United in search of opportunity so he either thought he was more ready than he is or he never hoped to get it at United.

Gandalf

Indeed, 21 is way too young. I thought he left United in search of opportunity so he either thought he was more ready than he is or he never hoped to get it at United.
I think he looked at some of the other young players who were signing extensions and then getting crap loans or wasting time on the bench and decided to back himself and go and find first team football on his own. It is a gamble and to some degree it has paid off for him, certainly cannot fault him for showing ambition.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
A brilliant goal. But he’s nowhere near good enough for United.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
This is probably rude but I think he doesn't have the physique of a professional footballer.
What a shame.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Really small players not named Messi can still do well. Just have to have great technique.

Giovinco was the best MLS player ever. He was incredible. He was so good it was harsh that he never cracked the Italian team.

jeepers

I still root for him, wanted him to succeed at United. Good finish, but that was poor defending to let him cut in and get the shot off.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Are we going to ignore how bad that defending was?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Not the best start to the season for Angel, but he is getting minutes, albeit getting hauled off before 90.

lsd

The Oracle
I guess people who said maybe he just wasn't ready for United's first team were right.

He still has time on his side obviously but I think he got bad advice from those around him that if he moved from United he would be an instant hit elsewhere.

Hopefully it still works out for him but I can't help thinking he should have just stayed

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I guess people who said maybe he just wasn't ready for United's first team were right.

He still has time on his side obviously but I think he got bad advice from those around him that if he moved from United he would be an instant hit elsewhere.

Hopefully it still works out for him but I can't help thinking he should have just stayed
I think maybe it's still too early to write him off, but certainly it looks as if he is still no where near the level needed for United level.

Which suggests that maybe United done well to not bow down to his demands.

In Rainbows

Is he playing as a 6?!

Looks like Fred highlights for a second there.
Yeah. That's what I thought his long term role should be. Less pressure to produce stats that prove your worth, and less times you rub up against their CBs with your back facing the goal. Amazing first touch, with ability to turn, and can play 1 touch football. He was also strangely combative when played there for United's youth teams. Gomes has the tools to become a good 6.

Bondi77

Great technique and he could even be a late bloomer in his mid 20s when he has more bulk.

criticalanalysis

Yeah. That's what I thought his long term role should be. Less pressure to produce stats that prove your worth, and less times you rub up against their CBs with your back facing the goal. Amazing first touch, with ability to turn, and can play 1 touch football. He was also strangely combative when played there for United's youth teams. Gomes has the tools to become a good 6.
Based on those highlights alone, it honestly reminds me the best of Fred, which is a compliment. However, he's got to be doing it for a seasons at a high level.

Maybe he can return like Pogba in a few years and be his successor :drool:

Trequarista10

Rooting for him. Hope he makes it. Good player to watch.
Same. Also strange we didn't keep him and loan him out for 2-3 seasons. Not sure if that was our decision or his. But he's the sort of player Liverpool or Chelsea would have loaned out and then sold for a decent fee.

Classical Mechanic

Lille got battered by a full strengh PSG side but Gomes's on the ball stats look pretty good. 100 touches, 82 passes, 91.5 pass completion rate, 1 tackle & 3 interceptions. I didn't see the game so he may have got overrun in the middle but he was certainly very involved. He had 17 more touches than the next highest player in Neymar and 18 more passes than the next highest which was Neymar again.

flameinthesun

If he plays the whole season as a starting 6 for nantes we should look at possibly bringing him back next season

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
You can’t play as a 6 and not have any influence on the defensive side of the game, he has zero influence. His distribution and passing is great but that’s half of the work. Anyone thinking he would get away with that in the Premier League is kidding themselves. He’s just not physical enough. Bernardo Silva is slight or David Silva but they know how to ride challenges and played further forward too. Gomes won’t survive for long playing that deep.

Classical Mechanic

You can’t play as a 6 and not have any influence on the defensive side of the game, he has zero influence. His distribution and passing is great but that’s half of the work. Anyone thinking he would get away with that in the Premier League is kidding themselves. He’s just not physical enough. Bernardo Silva is slight or David Silva but they know how to ride challenges and played further forward too. Gomes won’t survive for long playing that deep.
Leon Britton springs to mind. He was even smaller than Gomes and was a decent PL player in that position for a number of years.

In Rainbows

I haven't watched his latest performance, but as a 6, he does have influence on the defensive side of the game. The guy isn't afraid to be physical in that position possibly because he gets to crash in from behind.

But while in possession, I don't share your opinion seeing as you're bringing up the Silva's in possession. As long as you can stay tidy as a 6, it really shouldn't be a problem. It might mean he won't get to dribble (riding tackles), but that is just a very small portion of the dribbling a 6 can do. He can easily carry the ball with space, and can easily use his dribbling skill to shake the defenders off him like in that twitter video of his performance vs Nantes.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
I haven't watched his latest performance, but as a 6, he does have influence on the defensive side of the game. The guy isn't afraid to be physical in that position possibly because he gets to crash in from behind.

But while in possession, I don't share your opinion seeing as you're bringing up the Silva's in possession. As long as you can stay tidy as a 6, it really shouldn't be a problem. It might mean he won't get to dribble (riding tackles), but that is just a very small portion of the dribbling a 6 can do. He can easily carry the ball with space, and can easily use his dribbling skill to shake the defenders off him like in that twitter video of his performance vs Nantes.
I was specific about him not being able to replicate that in the Premier League. He won’t get that luxury.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Leon Britton springs to mind. He was even smaller than Gomes and was a decent PL player in that position for a number of years.
He was way better at positioning himself and intercepting than Gomes is. Gomes is better on the ball but Britton from the championship days was always a great reader of the game defensively and always had high interception stats. That Swansea team with him and Joe Allen was very effective despite their size because they were good positionally, something Gomes will need a full season to even get close to having. He’s not played as 6 nearly long enough to think he’s any good at the position. Few games is not enough.

Classical Mechanic

He was way better at positioning himself and intercepting than Gomes is. Gomes is better on the ball but Britton from the championship days was always a great reader of the game defensively and always had high interception stats. That Swansea team with him and Joe Allen was very effective despite their size because they were good positionally, something Gomes will need a full season to even get close to having. He’s not played as 6 nearly long enough to think he’s any good at the position. Few games is not enough.
Britton averaged between 1.6 & 2.5 interceptions per game during his time in the PL. Gomes managed 3 against PSG which was more than his other games but there's a chance he can improve on this count. 3 games isn't enough granted but I don't think you can write him off at this point either. It's unlikely that'll he'll become good enough as a 6 for United and England but you never know.