Angel Gomes Watch

criticalanalysis

From a pure technical stand point its not even a question that he's technically better than Mainoo, the big question with him has always been the physicality and whether he could handle it in the prem. He is also very short. I think it would a good signing if he isn't too expensive. Can play the Bruno role and the Mainoo role easily.
Wait what, really?

In his short cameos here, I thought he looked capable but was never able to really impose himself. Unfair to judge of course as he wasn't getting a lot of game time. In the compilation above, it seems he's got a lot more tools in his game now and more expansive passing but that's highlights. Mainoo's individual highlights for half a season would be just as impressive, although admittedly, it probably wouldn't include many team play/assist/through balls type of actions.

What makes you think he's categorically much superior technically? That seems like a pretty big claim.

Nicolarra90

Do we have any buyback clause in case he keeps progressing? Has it expired?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Technically great but unfortunately doesn’t have the size, strength or pace to play in the premier league.. he’ll have a cracking career in Europe though.

Certainly another academy success.
Ligue 1 is almost comparable to the premier league in terms of physical requirements. It’s why there’s most players that come over from there have no issues coping with the league if they aren’t shit.

Gordon S

Delight to watch. Looks strong in the tackle as well despite his size.
Bit surprised there doesn`t seem to be any transferrumours about him.

In Rainbows

Wait what, really?

In his short cameos here, I thought he looked capable but was never able to really impose himself. Unfair to judge of course as he wasn't getting a lot of game time. In the compilation above, it seems he's got a lot more tools in his game now and more expansive passing but that's highlights. Mainoo's individual highlights for half a season would be just as impressive, although admittedly, it probably wouldn't include many team play/assist/through balls type of actions.

What makes you think he's categorically much superior technically? That seems like a pretty big claim.
I think Gomes' first touch is better and the ball sticks to him more when dribbling. In other areas, Mainoo is better. For example, one of the problems Gomes had initially was that he didn't do tricks to shake defenders off when pressed. Mainoo instantly would use the croqueta. Gomes is now using it, but he wasn't doing that in his initial step ups to United, and didn't do it for the u21s much. Mainoo had more calmness which allowed him to dribble under pressure. That could be due to Gomes having difficulty doing the croqueta with his shorter legs, where as Mainoo can reap the awards from his longer legs creating more separation when doing the croqueta, which is helpful in keeping the ball away from defenders.

I also rate Mainoo's ability/calmness with the ball in the air, which is important in retaining possession.

So basically the whole package of Mainoo was more complete on a technical level, while Gomes was slightly more technical in things that are more frequent, but come with not much negatives. Like Mainoo's first touch and dribbling doesn't suffer from barely having a worst touch than Gomes. So at that point, it's not much use in making the distinction.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Unless he's signed a new deal he must be coming towards the end of his deal thinking 12/24 months left? I'd love for us to bring him back, he was always a huge talent and it's a shame we weren't in a place to ever give him a proper chance to break through.

The main worry now would be if he played alongside Mainoo would we have the needed physicality? But as an alternative if the value of the transfer was right he'd be a much better option for rotation than say McTominay when our style of play changes so drastically.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Always liked this guy, shows tremendous quality on the ball, but his physicality was always an issue. Unfortunately, being at United means that kids like him have no time to develop in the first team environment, he could have played the odd game, but he needed regular football, and having that for a number of years he is now showing what a player he has become, whether this would be replicated in the Premier League I'm not so sure, so I don't think United would be interested in bringing him back, but he is a terrific footballer. Good luck to him.

Gordon S

thinking 12/24 months
Where would we play him? Backup to Mainoo?
I think he could be very good in Brunos current position. Think he could link up like a charm with Kobbie, Amad, Garnacho there.
But i think he could do well next to Kobbie as well. Kobbie is quite big and looks really strong to me, and Angel seems to be deceptively strong in duels. Uses his body really well.

Borninthe80ts

The one touch football we could play if we got this guy back. He would speed up our play and slow it down too, which is wan underrated quality. It’ll allow us to hold possession when under pressure or retaining a lead.

Other have mentioned above the players that would benefit too but it’s all about the complimenting midfielder. In theory a ball winner would be the ideal but I still think we could get Bruno involved if the team is really sitting deep or we dominate them.
I do l like when players we have love or have history with the club.

Hammondo

The one touch football we could play if we got this guy back. He would speed up our play and slow it down too, which is wan underrated quality. It’ll allow us to hold possession when under pressure or retaining a lead.

Other have mentioned above the players that would benefit too but it’s all about the complimenting midfielder. In theory a ball winner would be the ideal but I still think we could get Bruno involved if the team is really sitting deep or we dominate them.
I do l like when players we have love or have history with the club.
I think slowing down our play would benefit us a lot.

criticalanalysis

I think Gomes' first touch is better and the ball sticks to him more when dribbling. In other areas, Mainoo is better. For example, one of the problems Gomes had initially was that he didn't do tricks to shake defenders off when pressed. Mainoo instantly would use the croqueta. Gomes is now using it, but he wasn't doing that in his initial step ups to United, and didn't do it for the u21s much. Mainoo had more calmness which allowed him to dribble under pressure. That could be due to Gomes having difficulty doing the croqueta with his shorter legs, where as Mainoo can reap the awards from his longer legs creating more separation when doing the croqueta, which is helpful in keeping the ball away from defenders.

I also rate Mainoo's ability/calmness with the ball in the air, which is important in retaining possession.

So basically the whole package of Mainoo was more complete on a technical level, while Gomes was slightly more technical in things that are more frequent, but come with not much negatives. Like Mainoo's first touch and dribbling doesn't suffer from barely having a worst touch than Gomes. So at that point, it's not much use in making the distinction.
Cheers. That's more or less what I had thought and so I guess you're in agreement with me, questioning the claim that 'its not even a question that he's technically better than Mainoo'.

Sgreddevil

Not keen on that happening. We don't have much success and re-signing ex players in recent years. Very often they turned out bad and made it worse.

In Rainbows

Not keen on that happening. We don't have much success and re-signing ex players in recent years. Very often they turned out bad and made it worse.
Pogba wasn't bad. The problem is he wanted to leave, was injured so often in his final 2 years, and the midfielders next to him were crap. Evans has been good as a 5th CB. I can't think of other examples apart from loanees like Dalot.

Angel would be a great 4th midfielder to have. He can be Mainoo's back up, while also slotting next to him in games where we will dominate with the ball, or next to him if they have a DM along side them. He's like Mainoo in that he can perform as the guy bringing the ball up the pitch, and can also provide the final pass when in the 10 position should he get there on the break. He would be pretty cheap too.

He's not only a former academy graduate, but he's also like Mainoo in that he's down to earth and can get along with anyone, hence he was England's youth Captain. I don't think he has a problem being the 4th midfielder. He left United for his development as he was in a critical stage where you need game time in order to develop to a level that can make it in the top 5 leagues. I feel like he has now established himself as an actual first division player.

Sgreddevil

Pogba wasn't bad. The problem is he wanted to leave, was injured so often in his final 2 years, and the midfielders next to him were crap. Evans has been good as a 5th CB. I can't think of other examples apart from loanees like Dalot.

Angel would be a great 4th midfielder to have. He can be Mainoo's back up, while also slotting next to him in games where we will dominate with the ball, or next to him if they have a DM along side them. He's like Mainoo in that he can perform as the guy bringing the ball up the pitch, and can also provide the final pass when in the 10 position should he get there on the break. He would be pretty cheap too.

He's not only a former academy graduate, but he's also like Mainoo in that he's down to earth and can get along with anyone, hence he was England's youth Captain. I don't think he has a problem being the 4th midfielder. He left United for his development as he was in a critical stage where you need game time in order to develop to a level that can make it in the top 5 leagues. I feel like he has now established himself as an actual first division player.
Recent high profile ones would be Pogba and Ronaldo.
Personally I don't feel their performances have justified their transfer fees and wages.
Pogba has been inconsistent. Some matches he could be world class while other time he didn't look bothered or just out injured. For the transfer fees, I believe that can be used on other better targets.
Ronaldo was good for the 1st half season but ego took over. Created unnecessary off field issues. Similarly, that wages can be better used on other targets.
I believe on a hindsight, most of us won't want to re-sign the 2 of them.
If we want to sign Gomes, we should make sure he understand he is brought in as a prospect and need to fight for his place. He is not guaranteed playing time and regarded as a key player. Make it clear right from start.

simplyared

Comparing him with Harvey Elliott obviously because of size. Seeing what I've seen I'd take him back in a heartbeat and deploy him as Liverpool do with their little man.

criticalanalysis

So after Mainoo's performance against City's midfield today, I'm still intrigued about Gomes, 'its not even a question that he's technically better than Mainoo'.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
If he's improved let him come back. I also happen to work with a mate of his and I've asked if he thought he would be willing, and he didn't hesitate in saying Angel would love to come back.

In Rainbows

So after Mainoo's performance against City's midfield today, I'm still intrigued about Gomes, 'its not even a question that he's technically better than Mainoo'.
It would be good to have a Mainoo back up in case of injury or to rest him throughout the season.

Raven

Our best CB is 5ft9 but people are still talking about how the PL requires you to be an athletic giant to be successful here.

Marwood

Our best CB is 5ft9 but people are still talking about how the PL requires you to be an athletic giant to be successful here.
True but our 5ft9 CB needs a big CB next to him to compensate.

The same would be true with Gomes. Not to mention that in terms of build Martinez and Gomes aren't comparable really.