Angel Gomes Watch

georgipep

Because Pep has the luxury to add players like Mahrez to a team already consisting of Sterling, Sane and Bernardno Silva and does not give a feck to develop young players while winning two Pl titles on the bounce?

I'd bet he would say why waste my team while not getting a proper chance in front of shit players like Lingard and Pereira. Who could blame him eh? Ah yes red-toad the wise can of course.

This perfect manager you talk about I just hope he doesn't have strange fetishes for some of the garbage we have in the squad, not too much to ask is it?
You think Gomes warranted a place? Did you watch him when played? Also, he wasn't deemed good enough to stay with Lille but would be good enough for us?

Untd55

This is no different to Sancho for City. I don’t remember anyone saying how badly run they were when he excelled at Dortmund. Now we just have to wait for one of our rivals to try and sign him for 100m quid. That will be fun.

Anyway, we’re not short of reasons to say we’re being badly run. So no point getting wound up about this particular one.
The difference is they were winning Premier League titles at the time, so it wasn't such a big deal. There was more reason as to why Sancho wasn't getting any game time.

When we were refusing to play Gomes, we were experiencing our worst start to a Premier League season.

Red_toad

I'd bet he would say why waste my team while not getting a proper chance in front of shit players like Lingard and Pereira. Who could blame him eh? Ah yes red-toad the wise can of course.

This perfect manager you talk about I just hope he doesn't have strange fetishes for some of the garbage we have in the squad, not too much to ask is it?
I don’t take randoms made up ‘oh I bet he said this or that’ as any form of truth.

I’m not blaming anyone, that’d be you, harping on about what could have been and not actually dealing with what is.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
If he keeps this level throughout the season he will be starting for Lille next season or poached by a club like Dortmund or Leipzig. Of course the hard part starts now.

Ace of Spades

You think Gomes warranted a place? Did you watch him when played? Also, he wasn't deemed good enough to stay with Lille but would be good enough for us?
I find it hilarious how some praise his performances now, yet can't see that he is performing much better now than when he was given a chance for us. The difference is very obvious, if he was putting these performances when he played for us then he would have got more chances.

There is no conspiracy or agenda, we were desperate for someone creative as a 10, and Bruno is showing the level that was needed for us. The fact that he could not displace the likes of Lingard and Periera is more damning on his performances for us, and how average his performances was back then.

He is a talent, and we always rated him highly, but to say that he deserved more chances based on those performances back then is ridiculous. He was not ready for us, and needed a loan, like a few of the other players in that bracket like Chong, Garner, Levitt who had outgrown the academy level but were not really ready to step up for us immediately.

Hope he does well and fulfills his potential, and we may get him back someday. He is just starting, so good luck to him.

Kostov

I don’t take randoms made up ‘oh I bet he said this or that’ as any form of truth.

I’m not blaming anyone, that’d be you, harping on about what could have been and not actually dealing with what is.
Like that first poster you replied to already said, a total lack of self awareness in you. Waste of everyone's time.

Red_toad

Like that first poster you replied to already said, a total lack of self awareness in you. Waste of everyone's time.
I think you need to go reflect on what happened and then deal with what is. You’re obviously away with the fairies in some alternate reality.
I care not what some random poster who isn’t living in the present, but on a flight of fancy like yourself thinks. For very tweedledee there’s a tweedledum.

Kostov

Yeah I do think he warranted a place. I watched him in the preseason friendlies too, he outplayed a shitty Lingard who still started the season. Then I watched Pereira and Lingard perform shockingly and still no sniff of Gomes. Yeah I think he deserved more game time. Also what Lille plan to do or not means feck all, they might regret it by the end of the month.

Kostov

I think you need to go reflect on what happened and then deal with what is. You’re obviously away with the fairies in some alternate reality.
I care not what some random poster who isn’t living in the present, but on a flight of fancy like yourself thinks. For very tweedledee there’s a tweedledum.
So many fancy sentences with very little substance and you obviously love the smell of your own bullshit.

georgipep

Yeah I do think he warranted a place. I watched him in the preseason friendlies too, he outplayed a shitty Lingard who still started the season. Then I watched Pereira and Lingard perform shockingly and still no sniff of Gomes. Yeah I think he deserved more game time. Also what Lille plan to do or not means feck all, they might regret it by the end of the month.
Gomes got several chances to show anything and failed. I see you're a player fan and don't want to convince you anything about him but he is definitely not the player who can make it at United's first squad at the moment.

Kostov

Gomes got several chances to show anything and failed. I see you're a player fan and don't want to convince you anything about him but he is definitely not the player who can make it at United's first squad at the moment.
Gomes got something like 450 minutes of football spread through 8 appearances according to transfermarket, I know for a talent like Greenwood it might me enough, not to many others. Considering our options and wasted minutes on the likes of Pereira and Lingard I do think he could have been handled much better. He obviously can easily go and become a 50 million player imo, if anything with a bit of better management we could have gotten 10 millions for a talent like him in a year time.

Red_toad

Some people just can’t deal with reality and prefer to moan on about how things should have went and believe their opinion is more valid than anyone else’s. You can’t really debate with them as they’re not dealing in reality.
Good luck to Gomes, if he proves himself, I’d say there’s a fair chance he’ll end up back at United. We shall see.

georgipep

Gomes got something like 450 minutes of football spread through 8 appearances according to transfermarket, I know for a talent like Greenwood it might me enough, not to many others. Considering our options and wasted minutes on the likes of Pereira and Lingard I do think he could have been handled much better. He obviously can easily go and become a 50 million player imo, if anything with a bit of better management we could have gotten 10 millions for a talent like him in a year time.
And in those minutes he showed nothing that warrants more time or chances, especially considering the high stakes in our games. This is not a mid-table club or a dominator in a farmers league. We can't afford to give 10 games to someone who looks like he doesn't have (at least right now) what it takes. He was offered a new contract and we wanted to keep him but he rejected it. That's all there is to it.

NotThatSoph

He got three chances, all of them in the Europa League. One of them was with a 100 % reserve side, so basically he got two chances to play with first teamers. He also got 25 minutes vs City in the League Cup and two single digit cameos in the league.

Kostov

And in those minutes he showed nothing that warrants more time or chances, especially considering the high stakes in our games. This is not a mid-table club or a dominator in a farmers league. We can't afford to give 10 games to someone who looks like he doesn't have (at least right now) what it takes. He was offered a new contract and we wanted to keep him but he rejected it. That's all there is to it.
As I already said, in pre season he played better than Lingard yet the later found himself starting the season in the first team, while no sight of Gomes. He also had some solid cameos in very limited game time. You also talk about how we are not mid table club or playing in a farmers league, when we repeatedly played some absolute garbage in minutes that could have gone to Gomes. Unless you want to tell me that Lingard or Pereira deserved the game time they got in the autumn? We offered him a contract and that's all there is to it? It never is the whole picture unfortunately, if a player feels his talents is not appreciated he will not want to waste time and I think this is the case here.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The difference is they were winning Premier League titles at the time, so it wasn't such a big deal. There was more reason as to why Sancho wasn't getting any game time.

When we were refusing to play Gomes, we were experiencing our worst start to a Premier League season.
Well, exactly. When you’re experiencing your worst start ever in a PL season is the worst possible time to bring through young kids. So much easier when you have a strong team, playing well. It’s actually quite impressive that Greenwood and Williams got so many minutes last season. Usually managers at big teams under the pressure Ole was under stick to playing eleven seasoned pros in every game.

georgipep

As I already said, in pre season he played better than Lingard yet the later found himself starting the season in the first team, while no sight of Gomes. He also had some solid cameos in very limited game time. You also talk about how we are not mid table club or playing in a farmers league, when we repeatedly played some absolute garbage in minutes that could have gone to Gomes. Unless you want to tell me that Lingard or Pereira deserved the game time they got in the autumn? We offered him a contract and that's all there is to it? It never is the whole picture unfortunately, if a player feels his talents is not appreciated he will not want to waste time and I think this is the case here.
He did not have good cameos. And because he doesn't automatically get a place in the squad for doing well in a non-competitive game. Ole and his coaches had the chance to look at him on a daily basis and decided he does not provide a better option than Lingard and Pereira. That must speak volumes to you.

The fact that Lille decided to send him on loan should also tell you something.

Kostov

He did not have good cameos. And because he doesn't automatically get a place in the squad for doing well in a non-competitive game. Ole and his coaches had the chance to look at him on a daily basis and decided he does not provide a better option than Lingard and Pereira. That must speak volumes to you.

:lol:

He had good cameos, depending of what you expect from a kid when given 15 minutes here and 20 there every once in a month. You mention how Ole and the coaches had chance to look on daily basis and decided that Lingard and Pereira were better options, when both of them looked like pub players and we might as well could have played with 10 men, yet continued to get minutes? Why was that? Couldn't they switch formation therefor avoid this garbage we were exposed to watch? We could have just as easily played Romero there.

The fact that Lille sent him on loan tells feck all imo. Barcelona sent Coutinho on load to score against them in the CL semis. What does that tell you?

georgipep

:lol:

He had good cameos, depending of what you expect from a kid when given 15 minutes here and 20 there every once in a month. You mention how Ole and the coaches had chance to look on daily basis and decided that Lingard and Pereira were better options, when both of them looked like pub players and we might as well could have played with 10 men, yet continued to get minutes? Why was that? Couldn't they switch formation therefor avoid this garbage we were exposed to watch? We could have just as easily played Romero there.

The fact that Lille sent him on loan tells feck all imo. Barcelona sent Coutinho on load to score against them in the CL semis. What does that tell you?
Cool dude, you go on believing Gomes was better than Lingard and Pereira last season. I do not. Our coaches did not. Lille do not believe he is better than their players and cannot give him time so loaned him out. No big team was in for him as well. But sure, tell me about his cameos.. What was the result?

In Rainbows

Cool dude, you go on believing Gomes was better than Lingard and Pereira last season. I do not. Our coaches did not. Lille do not believe he is better than their players and cannot give him time so loaned him out. No big team was in for him as well. But sure, tell me about his cameos.. What was the result?
He never played badly in those cameos. Quiet, yes, but not badly.

NWRed

I find it hilarious how some praise his performances now, yet can't see that he is performing much better now than when he was given a chance for us. The difference is very obvious, if he was putting these performances when he played for us then he would have got more chances.

There is no conspiracy or agenda, we were desperate for someone creative as a 10, and Bruno is showing the level that was needed for us. The fact that he could not displace the likes of Lingard and Periera is more damning on his performances for us, and how average his performances was back then.

He is a talent, and we always rated him highly, but to say that he deserved more chances based on those performances back then is ridiculous. He was not ready for us, and needed a loan, like a few of the other players in that bracket like Chong, Garner, Levitt who had outgrown the academy level but were not really ready to step up for us immediately.

Hope he does well and fulfills his potential, and we may get him back someday. He is just starting, so good luck to him.
When was this?

Red_toad

I can see this thread will pop up every time he does well. Shame sections of our fans can’t just accept he moved on as he wanted to prove himself. Reminds me of the Januzaj thread, but at least he ended up in an elite league.

NWRed

I didn't know football agents with intimate knowledge of transfer negotiations posted here, welcome.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
People still care about him? Too small and clearly a frail mentality. Glad we nipped that one in the bud

georgipep

I didn't know football agents with intimate knowledge of transfer negotiations posted here, welcome.
So, there were no rumours, he went to Lille because he had better options? And I don't know stuff but you and the rest of his personal fan-tourage know? Riiight..

Caliban

I scored a goal almost like that myself once in the funny league. I was nicknamed goldfeet. After a couple of matches i was garbagefeet ..

A beauty of a goal. All eyes on you to follow up on it, if not ..

As to the small remark. David Silva, Hazard in a different eague but ..

NWRed

So, there were no rumours, he went to Lille because he had better options? And I don't know stuff but you and the rest of his personal fan-tourage know? Riiight..
There were rumours of Barca and Chelsea (not that they mean anything).

I'm not the one claiming intimate knowledge of transfer negotiations, you were.

georgipep

There were rumours of Barca and Chelsea.

I'm not the one claiming intimate knowledge of transfer negotiations, you were.
What intimate knowledge claim did I make?

There were no rumours of Chelsea or Barcelona after he left us. Both were linked with him months and even years before. He signed for Lille. That's doesn't exactly scream "Barca and Chelsea were in for me".

flappyjay

Players it is what it is. We have been getting a fair few highly rated youngsters from other teams too. Barcelona have one of the best if not thee best academy in European football and the youngsters keep leaving. Chelsea had to give Odoi 100k+ to make him stay. They lost Tariq lamptey they did not want to let him go, sold for 4m with 6months left and now you wouldn't get him for 20m. All clubs go through this.

Eplel

We gave over 40 games to Pereira and Lingard, so you're wrong about that.

It tells me that Ole was probably wrong to overlook him.

Eplel

This kid could be a golden ball contender in a few years and some people here will still be in denial that Ole was right to not give him chances and instead keep playing Pereira.

georgipep

We gave over 40 games to Pereira and Lingard, so you're wrong about that.

It tells me that Ole was probably wrong to overlook him.
Or, and that's probably wild for you, Gomes is not a better footballer than Lingard (an England international) and Pereira (a one cap Brazil international who just got loaned to Lazio and had played for Valencia). Maybe professionals in the game know a tiny bit more than you about Gomes?

georgipep

This kid could be a golden ball contender in a few years and some people here will still be in denial that Ole was right to not give him chances and instead keep playing Pereira.
He could, agreed. But he could also not be, is that possible? If so, where's the denial?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
We didn't believe in his talent enough. It's that simple. Same way we didn't believe in pogba enough before he left.same way a city didn't believe in a Sancho enough before he left.

Time will tell if we made the right or wrong decision.
Now come on, is that really true? :smirk:

I admit playing the likes of Fabio and Park ahead of him in a match would piss most players off, but not believing in his talent?

NWRed

What intimate knowledge claim did I make?
There were no rumours of Chelsea or Barcelona after he left us. Both were linked with him months and even years before. He signed for Lille. That's doesn't exactly scream "Barca and Chelsea were in for me".
Not that rumours mean anything, but a couple of examples from the day his contract expired.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/29/chel...onfirms-set-leave-manchester-united-12917854/
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/angel-gomes-decision-quit-man-22275610

The club he signed for says nothing about who was in for him, it speaks of a player who hadn't been given an opportunity at an elite club (who were desperately in need of creativity) so went to a club at which he would be given a chance and had a clear plan for him.