Angel Gomes Watch

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Done well to score from the halfway line. But also needs to be stepping up a level. He will get there and is doing well.

NWRed

I've always been Ole in, but not giving Gomes a proper run in the team in the desperate months before we signed Fernandes does make me question his judgement, we're either going to end up paying a massive fee to re-sign him in a few years time or seriously regret losing him because Gomes is going to be an elite level player.

Kostov

Great goal that, so pleased for him.

The kid is going to be quality and I would love to see some posters reactions when he inevitably comes back to the PL in a year or two. Obviously very talented but according to some on here, he didn't show enough to start over Pereira and Lingard last season.

Smores

I've always been Ole in, but not giving Gomes a proper run in the team in the desperate months before we signed Fernandes does make me question his judgement, we're either going to end up paying a massive fee to re-sign him in a few years time or seriously regret losing him because Gomes is going to be an elite level player.
Indeed. He essentially decided giving Lingard opportunities was more important than giving Gomes a few games to keep him motivated.

It's easy to give youngsters games in positions that form obvious gaps but he needs to learm to integrate them into positions with depth too.

Untd55

Shame that we didn't even try him. I can see why he became frustrated; anyone would be. The thing is that there was no risk in trying him. At worst we would find out he isn't good enough, which is the same as a lot of players in our team.

Even if he ended up only good, we could have improved our depth for this season.

We obviously rated him as we offered him another contract, so why not give him a chance? Solskjaer did mess up by not even giving him a chance.

Raven

Cracking goal that, very sweetly struck. He's going to become a great player.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Good God. The reactions. He scored a nice goal in the Portuguese league. A plethora of posters eagerly awaiting that moment so they could dive back in here with their fingers wagging to say I told you so. I'm happy for the kid but he's gone, move on. This is a perfectly normal phenomenon at all big clubs. If they're here, they're good but there's not room for everyone. Let's just wish him all the best and get on with worrying about the lads that are still here. Remember the fun in here when Ravel scored that goal against Spurs?

Good God. The reactions. He scored a nice goal in the Portuguese league. A plethora of posters eagerly awaiting that moment so they could dive back in here with their fingers wagging to say I told you so. I'm happy for the kid but he's gone, move on. This is a perfectly normal phenomenon at all big clubs. If they're here, they're good but there's not room for everyone. Let's just wish him all the best and get on with worrying about the lads that are still here. Remember the fun in here when Ravel scored that goal against Spurs?
great post.

I don’t see that we are going to regret him going - but that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t go on and have as decent career, and that’s still a plus point for our academy.

Red_toad

What's so shocking in what he said? You either act the fool or missed the point? You don't let such talent to leave you for free(or some half arsed compensation)
He was out of contract. He did not wish to extend his contract. No fee was received nor due. It’s called facts. Maybe you both don’t understand? I did not miss any point.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This is no different to Sancho for City. I don’t remember anyone saying how badly run they were when he excelled at Dortmund. Now we just have to wait for one of our rivals to try and sign him for 100m quid. That will be fun.

Anyway, we’re not short of reasons to say we’re being badly run. So no point getting wound up about this particular one.

NWRed

You're completely missing the point. He wasn't sent on loan in the summer 2019 presumably because Ole wanted him in the squad for 19-20, yet despite an injury crisis and appalling performances from basically every other option in his position he was never given a chance. Now he's signed for a club who have a clear plan for him and he's showing what everyone who's watched him in the youth and U23 teams knew he was capable of. It's just another demonstration of the incompetence at the top of the club and like I said earlier, it makes me question Ole's judgement.

NWRed

This is no different to Sancho for City. I don’t remember anyone saying how badly run they were when he excelled at Dortmund.

Anyway, we’re not short of reasons to say we’re being badly run. So no point getting wound up about this particular one.
Sancho left aged 16 because he saw no path to the first team due to how strong they were in his position, Gomes left aged 20 after not being given a chance in a season in which we were appalling for the first half of it and the players who played in his position during that period have no future at the club.

Last edited:

Still ill

You're completely missing the point. He wasn't sent on loan in the summer 2019 presumably because Ole wanted him in the squad for 19-20, yet despite an injury crisis and appalling performances from basically every other option in his position he was never given a chance. Now he's signed for a club who have a clear plan for him and he's showing what everyone who's watched him in the youth and U23 teams knew he was capable of. It's just another demonstration of the incompetence at the top of the club and like I said earlier, it makes me question Ole's judgement.

By everyone, do you mean the Caf? Because anything that's that clear and obvious to the coaching staff gets discussed, you would presume. They decided he wasn't ready, saw potential, offered him a contract, decided to keep him with the first team squad. He wanted chances to play, which is fair enough. All I'm saying is that this shit happens. In the admittedly few opportunities he got, did he scream READY!! to you? Me neither. One nice goal in Portugal certainly hasn't proved anything one way or the other. As I say, wish him all the best, move on.

Raven

This is in the general football forum. This thread is exactly what it should be. Our ex player who many, myself included, thought was destined for big things has moved clubs and is now making a big splash. I don't understand your issue.

Still ill

This is in the general football forum. This thread is exactly what it should be. Our ex player who many, myself included, thought was destined for big things has moved clubs and is now making a big splash. I don't understand your issue.
Ah look, my issue is just the eagerness to turn everything into an opportunity to bash the club or Ole. By all means, bring them to task for the obvious feck ups, this doesn't seem to me to fall into that category. If you liked the guy, just be happy for him.

Josep Dowling

how to you stop them in the case of pogba and gomes and so many others at other clubs? pay any amount they ask for? cave to playing demands reagrdless of other factors? gun?
Try and have the negotiation 2-3 years before their contract runs out.

Offer yearly increases with one year extension to incentive good performance.

We left him in a situation where we didn’t send him out on loan for two years when he requested and gave him no opportunities in the first team. No wonder he left.

It’s bad management by the club.

NWRed

By everyone, do you mean the Caf? Because anything that's that clear and obvious to the coaching staff gets discussed, you would presume. They decided he wasn't ready, saw potential, offered him a contract, decided to keep him with the first team squad. He wanted chances to play, which is fair enough. All I'm saying is that this shit happens. In the admittedly few opportunities he got, did he scream READY!! to you? Me neither. One nice goal in Portugal certainly hasn't proved anything one way or the other. As I say, wish him all the best, move on.
In 3 games he has 1 world class goal and 3 assists and is displaying the talent we all knew he had. Greenwood was like a lost child for his first 10 or so appearences, it takes time for youngsters to adjust. The point is he wasn't given the chance to adjust to the prem and if they thought he wasn't ready and weren't prepared to give him the chance to adjust (despite ample opportunit given our injuries and poor performances) why wasn't he sent out on loan for the season. It's poor planning again and screams of poor judgement from the people making the decisions.

Still ill

In 3 games he has 1 world class goal and 3 assists and is displaying the talent we all knew he had. Greenwood was like a lost child for his first 10 or so appearences, it takes time for youngsters to adjust. The point is he wasn't given the chance to adjust to the prem and if they thought he wasn't ready and weren't prepared to give him the chance to adjust (despite ample opportunit given our injuries and poor performances) why wasn't he sent out on loan for the season. It's poor planning again and screams of poor judgement from the people making the decisions.
Look our recent history is littered with examples of younger players performing well on loan and being unable to reproduce it with us. Even the much maligned Jesse knocked in 4 in one game in the Championship. Just because he's started well in Portugal doesn't mean there's been any negligence on our part. Only time will tell if it's been poor judgement.

Raven

Ah look, my issue is just the eagerness to turn everything into an opportunity to bash the club or Ole. By all means, bring them to task for the obvious feck ups, this doesn't seem to me to fall into that category. If you liked the guy, just be happy for him.
I am happy for him but I'm also annoyed with Ole's mismanagement of such a huge talent. I'm Ole in and think hes the right man to take us forward but we're all more than entitled to point out his errors.

NWRed

Look our recent history is littered with examples of younger players performing well on loan and being unable to reproduce it with us. Even the much maligned Jesse knocked in 4 in one game in the Championship. Just because he's started well in Portugal doesn't mean there's been any negligence on our part. Only time will tell if it's been poor judgement.
Do you watch the youth and U23 sides? If so you have to see that there is no comparison between Lingard and Gomes in terms of talent or potential.

The reason fans are so sore about Gomes leaving is because clearly has the talent to be an elite level player and for some reason was never given a chance. 3 games into his first season of first team football he has a goal from the half way line, 3 assists and has praise from all quarters for his performances.

Kostov

He was out of contract. He did not wish to extend his contract. No fee was received nor due. It’s called facts. Maybe you both don’t understand? I did not miss any point.
Why he did not wish to extend his contract? If you obviously got the point then you just act the fool. A better managed club and team would have found a way to convince him to extend. And please don't waste everyone's time by mentioning Pogba.

Red_toad

Why he did not wish to extend his contract? If you obviously got the point then you just act the fool. A better managed club and team would have found a way to convince him to extend. And please don't waste everyone's time by mentioning Pogba.
I don’t know, you’d have to ask him!

When we find the perfect manager I hope he’s as wise as you think you are!

Pogba...

georgipep

So why did Sancho leave City? Pep and the club couldn't find a way to convince him? Sack them all....

Kostov

So why did Sancho leave City? Pep and the club couldn't find a way to convince him? Sack them all....
Because Pep has the luxury to add players like Mahrez to a team already consisting of Sterling, Sane and Bernardno Silva and does not give a feck to develop young players while winning two Pl titles on the bounce?

I don’t know, you’d have to ask him!

When we find the perfect manager I hope he’s as wise as you think you are!

Pogba...
I'd bet he would say why waste my team while not getting a proper chance in front of shit players like Lingard and Pereira. Who could blame him eh? Ah yes red-toad the wise can of course.

This perfect manager you talk about I just hope he doesn't have strange fetishes for some of the garbage we have in the squad, not too much to ask is it?

Ace of Spades

I am happy for him but I'm also annoyed with Ole's mismanagement of such a huge talent. I'm Ole in and think hes the right man to take us forward but we're all more than entitled to point out his errors.
He was not mismanaged, he was bang average when given the chance. He is a talented player, which is why we offered him a contract, but he decided to move.

If he was performing as good as he has been now for the first team, then he would have got more chances, but he was not. Those are the facts, and he was given chances but looked average and was not ready. I mean he is in loan from Lille now as well, not like he was immediately put in their team either.

Yagami

Good post resistant
This is no different to Sancho for City. I don’t remember anyone saying how badly run they were when he excelled at Dortmund. Now we just have to wait for one of our rivals to try and sign him for 100m quid. That will be fun.

Thing is, they were playing great football and constantly competing for trophies so it was less of an issue. We, on the other hand, as you say yourself, have problems everywhere, so another case of mismanagement on top of everything else really highlights this in comparison to the Sancho situation.

I mean, Gomes was being overlooked for Lingard and Pereira whereas Sancho had the likes of Sterling and Sané keeping him out.