Angel Gomes Watch

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
You never know with a young player what will happen until they get a chance. Gomes was an exceptional young talent, look at what Januzaj, Rashford and Garnacho have done when given a chance. Nobody could predict how it would go. Had Garnacho not have been given chances there would be top reds on here banging on about how the club did nothing wrong etc etc.

Ole handled him very badly, but you have to remember Oles views on football were Neanderthalic. ‘Getting there first’ ‘wanting it more’. Where Gomes was an exceptional technical player.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Been great for the u21 England team so far in the competition. Him, colwill and Jones has formed a great technical spine for the England team. Haven't seen an English side play like a Spanish side before, very impressed.

Borninthe80ts

Modern football can sometimes feel very cookie cutter, in that a lot of players have similar traits and teams try and play the same way and mirror each other. But when I watch Gomes really enjoy watching him play.

I feel his strengths on the pitch far outweigh his weaknesses, which I feel aren’t viewed with context, or sometimes outright lazy stereotypes. What he brings to the tempo and phase play for all the teams he has played for is clear if anyone has watched him for an extended period of time. All players progress at different rates and expectations due to talent doesn’t always meet reality.

Whether he makes it at the highest level or not is still to be seen, 22 isn’t old. Think it’s unfair to dismiss a good performance too due to the current level of tournament. These are still his peers and Lille a good team. Let’s see rather than throw shade.

Max_United

You never know with a young player what will happen until they get a chance. Gomes was an exceptional young talent, look at what Januzaj, Rashford and Garnacho have done when given a chance. Nobody could predict how it would go. Had Garnacho not have been given chances there would be top reds on here banging on about how the club did nothing wrong etc etc.

Ole handled him very badly, but you have to remember Oles views on football were Neanderthalic. ‘Getting there first’ ‘wanting it more’. Where Gomes was an exceptional technical player.
Not saying that it was necessarily wrong to let Gomes go but it is funny that we never heard any criticism of Ole for letting Gomes go and signing flopped VdB from “returned us to united DNA” brigade.

And you just know that the same people would have slaughtered any other manager for doing the same (especially ETH for obvious reasons - “bald frаud signs overrated Dutch players he knows and sells our homegrown talent”)

Fabio Rochemback

Whether he makes it at the highest level or not is still to be seen, 22 isn’t old. Think it’s unfair to dismiss a good performance too due to the current level of tournament. These are still his peers and Lille a good team. Let’s see rather than throw shade.
That's fair enough, the "shade" is being directed at suggestions that we should bring him back rather than at Gomes' performances. It's possible he'll become good enough to play for a top side but there seemingly isn't much evidence to suggest that will be the case at the moment.

Gordon S

There's a world of difference between being smaller than players your age that are still developing themselves, and being smaller than seasoned pros.
Maybe. But still, i have yet to see him struggle against bigger physical players. Not saying it never happened, just that i never seen it.
These videos only show you so much but there are quite a few clips were we see him in physical duels and he seems to do just fine. Actually seems rather aggresive and tackles well.

Borninthe80ts

That's fair enough, the "shade" is being directed at suggestions that we should bring him back rather than at Gomes' performances. It's possible he'll become good enough to play for a top side but there seemingly isn't much evidence to suggest that will be the case at the moment.

I can understand people not wanting him to come back, we all rate players differently. However I’m more surprised some seem sure he won’t make that leap. For talent alone, I can see why people would take him back.

I’m also curious of the criteria with which young players have to meet to be deemed ready, apart from obvious stand outs. I think if they lack experience, as in they keep making the same mistakes, then maybe I can agree their ‘ not ready’ however I’m not sure it applies as a blanket measure.

I think the only doubts with Gomes were about physicality, ie strength and maybe stamina and I still think those are areas he will develop. As I said though, time will tell.

In Rainbows

Actually seems rather aggresive and tackles well.
I think people assume he's like Sancho because he's tiny and was originally a 10. Even with the youth teams, when he played deeper in midfield, he was rather aggressive and unafraid to get physical. Doesn't mean he's going to be some defensive player, just that he doesn't shy away from that job.

Fabio Rochemback

However I’m more surprised some seem sure he won’t make that leap
He might, you're right that 22 is still very young and a lot of players improve dramatically well into their mid 20s, but it's not the norm and he doesn't seem to have set the world alight for Lille.

Borninthe80ts

He might, you're right that 22 is still very young and a lot of players improve dramatically well into their mid 20s, but it's not the norm and he doesn't seem to have set the world alight for Lille.
See that’s where we differ in that I think incremental growth is the norm and recent outliers have skewed perception. I actually think the leap for him isn’t that big, more environment than anything. Also to me it may be difficult to catch the eye when his game is so simplistic, but yeah horses for courses.

Chief123

It’s still so weird seeing him play in the position he is doing. I would never have guessed him playing there at any point in his career.

izec

It’s still so weird seeing him play in the position he is doing. I would never have guessed him playing there at any point in his career.
He played there in the Uefa youth league and someone said on here he could play there long term and could see him transition there. I could see this as well when i watched his individual highlights afterwards. Think it was @In Rainbows

Archer

Got a late assist in fergie time for Lille in first game of Ligue 1 this season. Changed squad number to No.8.

Torino

Supports
Newcastle United
I was very impressed by him at the euro under 21s, surprised no club has made a proper move for him yet.

izec

Good to see him deeper in midfield, he is actually the type of midfielder we have a need of.

However, he cant shoot. Passing and technique wise, he is top class

Marwood

He's a lovely player.

Being so small and lightweight is just another slice of bad luck for the Utd youth system and of course the player.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He's a lovely player.

Being so small and lightweight is just another slice of bad luck for the Utd youth system and of course the player.
Its not really bad luck

Gordon S

Makes me both happy and angry to watch him play. Such a naturally talented player, football seems so easy to him.
But nah, he was a bit too short for us, can´t have that, hell nah. We need tall strong players in midfield.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Well he didn't choose to be tiny.

Obviously a footballer can be small and make it to the top but he's so short and slight that yeah I'd call it bad luck.
Personally I think he will still excel.

Oranges038

Developed into a tidy looking player. Don't buy into him being too small and weak for the PL, he's taller than Fred and looks a better footballer.

Naturally fluid quick body movements to open up angles and change his body shape and create space for him self, has a good eye for a pass, good weight of pass, inside of the foot or outside it all looks very instinctive and well executed.

Could do with a player like him in the squad now.

tomaldinho1

Good player at the level he’s playing at - I so wanted him to work out but it’s really clear to me him moving on was best for everyone.

Marwood

Ofcourse, Iniesta was built like he-man.
There's Inesta small and then there's Gomes small. It's not just about height. Plus Iniesta was a genius.

I'm just saying being that slight, without great pace or particular ability to consistently beat a man, doesn't exactly help him. It's an obstacle for him to overcome. Which I hope he can because he's a top footballer.

crossy1686

career ending
Lads, a player that is no doubt Championship level in ability, playing well against Croatia's 4th best team from a 10 team league is hardly "get him back to United!" stuff is it?

Garnacho would look like prime Messi against this level of competition.