Angel Gomes - Will he stay or will he go? | Contract Expired 30th June and he's left the club

izec

I implore you to watch again.
There is not much great to see about Chong. His miss was worse than any good he did, which was basic give and take runs and some first touch without pressure. Standard football for any pro that isn't a donkey.

Maticmaker

When young players first get a chance in the first team, its usually ten minutes here and ten minutes there, occasional longer spells. You don't expect them to be fantastic immediately, but you hope they will show something to excite you, Rashford's speed on the half turn, Beckham's crosses, Ronaldo's step overs, etc. you may only see it once or twice in those early days, but its there and you know they can do it.... can't say I've seen anything like that from Angel.

fps

Presumably they could... if they can obtain said medication (which i presume requires a doctors prescription... and having said prescription would probably mean you could get special dispensation)
Anyway assuming somebody acquires the medication on the black market and is prepared to give it to their kid who let's presume is prepared to take it they will get picked up in a drug test and banned anyway without said special dispensation
All in all its not sounding like a great plan

Unless they keep this child outside of all club youth set ups and make sure they are totally clear in their system before joining a club... but I doubt 10+ years of professional training would be compensated

Basically its still not sounding like a great plan
No, not sounding brilliant, agreed. Still an interesting grey area.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I already had after reading your comment. My estimation of Chong actually went down after watched by it.
Glad we've got Ole and not you as manager then :lol:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Glad we've got Ole and not you as manager then :lol:
You're impressed with someone making basic runs and missing an open goal from 3 yards. I see you're from the Joe Kinnear school of thought...

Champ

You're impressed with someone making basic runs and missing an open goal from 3 yards. I see you're from the Joe Kinnear school of thought...
Basic runs :lol:
There's a reason Chong has more first team appearances than Gomes, just remind yourself of that.

ivaldo

There's a reason Chong has more first team appearances than Gomes, just remind yourself of that.
Yes, basic runs. It's, frankly, incredible that you're impressed with it. There's also a reason why no one is agreeing with you. Just think about that.

King Andow

And there's a reason he looked very bad in basically every single one of them. He's not very good.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Juninho was a success in PL, I'd still give gomes a chance.
Yes, but he was able to ride off tackles and had pretty quick feet.

I am sure Angel may land up to be a decent player at some point -- he has the skills. But compare his approach to United and that of Mason? Quiet, relatively easy contract negotiations. There is an element of trust between Mason and Ole/company. Brenden too.

We just dont need future 'academy stars' to throw their toys out of their prams like Angel when negotiating with United going forward. The example that Angel sets here if he is getting a reported £25-30k/week for so few starts... can you imagine what Hannibel's parents/agent will be thinking?
And I know who I rather have staying at the club between the two of them.

In Rainbows

I am sure Angel may land up to be a decent player at some point -- he has the skills. But compare his approach to United and that of Mason? Quiet, relatively easy contract negotiations. There is an element of trust between Mason and Ole/company. Brenden too.

We just dont need future 'academy stars' to throw their toys out of their prams like Angel when negotiating with United going forward. The example that Angel sets here if he is getting a reported £25-30k/week for so few starts... can you imagine what Hannibel's parents/agent will be thinking?
Gomes has been quiet in negotiations.

Champ

Yes, basic runs. It's, frankly, incredible that you're impressed with it. There's also a reason why no one is agreeing with you. Just think about that.
Other than the coaching staff at United you mean yeah??

Champ

Yes there is, he's more physically developed, that's it.
Gomes is 19,
Surely he should be physically developed now, I would imagine the coaching staff have him on the weights constantly.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Juninho was a success in PL, I'd still give gomes a chance.
Zola was only 5'6" as well. Any excuse to post this but it's a great example of a small guy not being bullied by bigger players...

Balance, technique and a brain will almost always win over height, weight and athleticism in football.

That's one of the reasons it's the greatest sport, you can be built like Leo Messi or Maradona and still be in the conversation for best ever.

ivaldo

Other than the coaching staff at United you mean yeah??
Always a excellent argument. Particularly when it's a strawman. But then, you seem to think players are physically developed at 19, so...
Gomes is 19,
Surely he should be physically developed now, I would imagine the coaching staff have him on the weights constantly.
Chelsea and Barca sniffing around, and a reported 25kpw offer on the table, looks as though the footballing world rates him pretty highly.

Last edited:

Brightonian

Christ, this nonsense again.

Where has Gomes 'thrown his toys out of the pram'? The negotiations have been happening entirely behind closed doors, entirely respectfully. If Gomes is delaying on signing a new contract either over money or assurances over Ole's plans for him and playing time, that is entirely his right as a human being. There is nothing disrespectful about assessing your employment options. But we don't even know that this is happening as none of the actual parties has discussed it at all. It is entirely guesswork.

You need to learn the difference between so-called 'journalists' on social media, and reality.

Red00012

At this moment the only reason I want him to re sign is that I don’t want him to end up at Chelsea.
You have to question why he didn’t get more game time Pre Bruno, it was an obvious hole in the squad. I doubt the contract talk had anything To do with it as OGS persisted with Lingard and Pereira.

Cereal Killer

Always a excellent argument. Particularly when it's a strawman. But then, you seem to think players are physically developed at 19, so...

Chelsea and Barca sniffing around, and a reported 25kpw offer on the table, looks as though the footballing world rates him pretty highly.
I wouldn't waste too much time on this discussion if I were you. How anyone could rate Chong above Gomes in terms of ability, talent/ potential (especially if based on that video), I could never understand.

bsCallout

The reason is because Chong is a winger, where there is less to worry about, just let him run down the wing. Gomes is a 10 which is a very difficult position to break into at this level.

Red_toad

We just dont need future 'academy stars' to throw their toys out of their prams like Angel when negotiating with United going forward.
Can you please give an example of him throwing his toys off of his pram? Lad has been doing interviews for the club, training and doing exactly what he should be doing, whilst his agent has been negotiating a new contract for him. So where did I miss his having a toy throwing session?

fps

Gomes is 19,
That's not how a player physically develops in a useful way for football, it is a part of things, but not at all the key part of his development. He's also still growing, very unlikely a player is fully physically developed at 19, different players develop at different times physically.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Can you please give an example of him throwing his toys off of his pram? Lad has been doing interviews for the club, training and doing exactly what he should be doing, whilst his agent has been negotiating a new contract for him. So where did I miss his having a toy throwing session?
He is two weeks from running out his contract and walking away for nothing. Brendon, Mason didn't play this game. Basically he doesn't trust the club to manage his career and wants to get the bucks before he has even proven himself.

Grande

Gomes is 19,
How old was Scholes when he was getting drastically more minutes than Gomes has? I’ll go check. if Gomes reaches half his quality in time, he’ll be a good aquisition to the seniors. If not, there’s not much to fuss about.

I have no idea how good Gomes will become, and I have no idea how reasonable he or Ole has been in this process so far. The only reason I follow the Angel-thread more than most other youth threads, is that the few times I’ve watched him, I’ve really liked his playing style and his potential, the best parts multiplied by my own imagination. It would be great fun for me if it came through. The odds are always against. Only a percentage of teenage prodigys become significant players at their original clubs, particularly at the big clubs.

It’s great fun to hope, though (and great anguish).

Red_toad

He is two weeks from running out his contract and walking away for nothing. Brendon, Mason didn't play this game. Basically he doesn't trust the club to manage his career and wants to get the bucks before he has even proven himself.
So no example of throwing his toys out of the pram then... Not everyone will sign a new contract and will explore other options, but it’s not throwing ones toys out of the pram it’s doing what’s best for yourself. Hes took his time with both of his United contracts and we’ve had the same crap linking him to other teams, yet he’s still here.

0le

So no example of throwing his toys out of the pram then... Not everyone will sign a new contract and will explore other options, but it’s not throwing ones toys out of the pram it’s doing what’s best for yourself. Hes took his time with both of his United contracts and we’ve had the same crap linking him to other teams, yet he’s still here.
Some people like you interpret "throwing toys out of the pram" as an outward display, such as saying things on twitter or via interviews. Other people also interpret the same sentence as including a lack of loyalty, which is what the other poster is alluding to or perhaps more subtle things like saying things through agents.

Thiagoal

Who’s Brendon? Serious question...

Achilles McCool

Balance, technique and a brain will almost always win over height, weight and athleticism in football.

That's one of the reasons it's the greatest sport, you can be built like Leo Messi or Maradona and still be in the conversation for best ever.
Some would say it’s an advantage to be built like Messi/Maradona/Zola in this sport! I completely agree with your point that it’s the greatest sport because it takes more than physical strength or stature to play the game.
Back to Gomes, I hope that he succeeds here and wish him luck, but he does need to prove himself quickly!

Red_toad

Some people like you interpret "throwing toys out of the pram" as an outward display, such as saying things on twitter or via interviews. Other people also interpret the same sentence as including a lack of loyalty, which is what the other poster is alluding to or perhaps more subtle things like saying things through agents.
Such as?

And oooh some people like you? How very judgemental.
Angel has always stated he loves the club and wants to make it here. He constantly promoting the club, zero issues shown with his attitude. Yet somehow he’s disloyal to the club? If he's yet to sign a contract, it’ll be because it’s not in his best interests to do so, not because he’s being petulant.

0le

Such as?

And oooh some people like you? How very judgemental.
Angel has always stated he loves the club and wants to make it here. He constantly promoting the club, zero issues shown with his attitude. Yet somehow he’s disloyal to the club? If he's yet to sign a contract, it’ll be because it’s not in his best interests to do so, not because he’s being petulant.
I wasn't being judgemental whatsoever. I was simply trying to say people think differently. You think in one way and the other guy thinks in another way. It is two sides of the same coin. I don't know why you've taken that to mean I think your opinion is wrong or any less valid??.....

Red_toad

I wasn't being judgemental whatsoever. I was simply trying to say people think differently. You think in one way and the other guy thinks in another way. It is two sides of the same coin. I don't know why you've taken that to mean I think your opinion is wrong or any less valid??.....
I’d say you assumed I don’t see others perspectives or how subtle people can throw their toys around. If someone forms an opinion on naff all, I’ll try find out what they base their opinion on.
I’m asking for examples, it’s because I’ve seen nothing of concern with regard to Angel. He and his agent will decide what’s best for him, lad holds zero issues with United. If he leaves it’ll be to further his career, not out of spite.
I base my opinion on how he’s conducted himself throughout his time at United, not a some shite on this thread where people state how he’s been unprofessional and difficult, all based on nothing other than some random posts.

Champ

By 19 generally a human is developed physically, they have reached adulthood by that point.
But I digress.
I wonder if his agent had anything to do with the Barca links last year!? I reckon so, the old classic agent move. :lol:
The simple fact is we don't know how good he could become, but right now he's not playing for the first team for whatever reason, could be aptitude, could be talent, could be physicality, quite clear that something is holding him back.