Angel Gomes

Thiagoal

Greenwood did not show far more ability in the youth teams. Greenwood bossed the u18s at age 16, just like Gomes did. Gomes won best player awards at youth level.

Any perceived superiority comes from Greenwood's translation to the first team, which is a separate argument.
I watch loads of youth team football and can assure you Greenwood was getting far more hype! Anyway, who cares how good a kid is at youth level if they don’t have the tools to apply it to the adult game?

In Rainbows

I watch loads of youth team football and can assure you Greenwood was getting far more hype! Anyway, who cares how good a kid is at youth level if they don’t have the tools to apply it to the adult game?
That's a different discussion. Otherwise, why bring up Ravel who didn't succeed at first team level? The original post only brought up talent.

lysglimt

Greenwood did not show far more ability in the youth teams. Greenwood bossed the u18s at age 16, just like Gomes did. Gomes won best player awards at youth level.

Any perceived superiority comes from Greenwood's translation to the first team, which is a separate argument.
No - it has to do with a lot of things. In terms of raw talent Gomes is probably the best since Morrison, but I have never once questioned if Greenwood would make it, same with Garner. He will make it. I have time and time again questioned Gomes. If Gomes has a poor game - he is out of the game for 30-40 minutes. That might work as a striker, but not as a central midfielder. In addition Greenwoods decision-making is superior to Gomes. Greenwood is a very mature footballer, I am not totally convinced Gomes is yet.

So I am sad to see Gomes go - because he could turn out to be a real star, but I wont lose any sleep over it. And he has had his chances, and unlike some of other youngsters, he hasn't taken them.

HJ12

He has the tools to eventually be a really good player, but as other have said, it's very rare to see a teenager immediately succeed at a top club in the number 10 spot. It will likely take him a few years to reach a really good level - whether it be at United or elsewhere. Seems an ideal candidate to be loaned out for a season, away from the United spotlight (where every fault of his in every game will be picked apart). Unfortunately, doesn't seem like this is the way it's going to go.

flappyjay

He has the tools to eventually be a really good player, but as other have said, it's very rare to see a teenager immediately succeed at a top club in the number 10 spot. It will likely take him a few years to reach a really good level - whether it be at United or elsewhere. Seems an ideal candidate to be loaned out for a season, away from the United spotlight (where every fault of his in every game will be picked apart). Unfortunately, doesn't seem like this is the way it's going to go.
You just have to look at Odegaard, barely doing anything with Castilla and then finally finding his feet in Holland. Now he is on his second loan doing well at Sociedad. But Gomes and some on this forum want him to be given everything on a platter. Like is he beyond loans and such.

Oldyella

You just have to look at Odegaard, barely doing anything with Castilla and then finally finding his feet in Holland. Now he is on his second loan doing well at Sociedad. But Gomes and some on this forum want him to be given everything on a platter. Like is he beyond loans and such.
Wasnt the talk that he wanted to go on loan last year but was told no? Not sure he thinks hes beyond a loan, he just wants to play and aside from a few minutes here and there in weaker teams hasn't really had a fair crack of the whip.

It's annoying but it's not really his fault, or Oles. Time to sort this was last year with a loan abroad to a side where he would get games and get talks done on a contract then. Now we have an impasse. He wont sign as he wants a clear indication he won't just end up rotting in reserves, we won't try and use him more as he won't sign.