Annoyed Jose: "Fantasy and PlayStation football"

Minimalist

Think it's clearly just Mourinho knocking them back down a peg and focusing on the Everton match.

The conditions were terrible last night and while there was some careless play, it was a pretty good performance overall.

Think people are forgetting how early in the season this still is.

GM K

Can the manager criticize some sloppy plays after the game without people drumming about meltdown?

We shouldn't let the result mask some of the frustrating plays we saw last night. There were a lot of misplaced passes and bad decisions which against better teams would cost us.
Let Jose manage them, he is a much bigger winner than any of the players and knows what it takes to build a team, he's been there and done it.

If someone ''snaps'', he should be showed the door and go play for Arsenal.
:lol:

Way to go mate. The real difference between United and the Gunners.

Mani

We could have been easily two down if their players where sharp enough in the box,agreed with what he say,you can't be sloppy especially in Europe, better teams could have punished us.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
From where I was looking it was anything but fantasy. Was quite tumescent in the first half.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He's right we can't be losing focus in matches even against weaker opposistion like Basel. I love that winning mentality from Mourinho.

izec

Nobody lost focus, some lads just wanted to have fun and play more freely and with risk. The comments could have been made by Aloysius himself.
If not against Basel, against who else can they enjoy themselves a bit on the big stage?

SirAF

Ageist
These are exactly the things we hated LVG for.
No, it's not. We hated LvG for not winning and playing tumescent football. It's not that long ago we crashed out of the group stages either.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Getting angry and frustrated when players try to express themselves. What better time for it than being 2-0 up in the group stages of CL?
I think he wanted them to stay focused. You can't really compare Jose with LvG in that way.

Manny

Grammar Police
Nothing wrong with what Jose said.

Rashford coming on at 2-0 and thinking it was OK to foolishly Ronaldo blast a freekick from 35 yards was crappy. No doubt only thinking about his debut record.

That was some PlayStation story mode/fantasy shite, right there.

NotQuiteManc

Meltdowns? Pppfffttt please.

He has the right to criticise the players when their concentration level go down like yesterday. Even SAF did it before.

All I can say if someone like Felli who is supposed to be limited can be more than decently 'tight' in his play and executions e.g. the backheel, why cant the supposed more talented players like Micky play more like that?

I know it is Basel, but it is a worrying signs if they carry on with that kind of mentality, when it has been only 3 4 games into the season.

Vanya

I wonder if people comment on the match without watching it?

Any observer could have seen that Basel played better than us in the middle of the second half especially after going 2-0 down.

It was not only a question of us giving the ball away but also that we lost our compact defensive shape when out if possession. Basel kept possession very well, passed the ball around at will in the middle and switched play with diagonals to create dangerous one v one and two v one situations at the edge of our box. A better/more clinical team would have scored.

This problem has plagued us all of last season in the league - we lack the concentration and know how to kill games. If we continue to play like this after scoring we will keep drawing games. A top team should boss the opposition for 90 mins. That's what has Mourinho so annoyed and its completely justified.

el3mel

Some people are heavily overrating the effect of manager criticizing players in the media. I have been saying that since the last season.

3KDré

I see nothing wrong with what he said. The squad needs to be kept on their toes.

RedDevil@84

He is a manager. He has every right to criticize the attitude of his players. He is being pragmatic. PL is harsh. A minor lack of concentration could hurt us badly. The players need to be on their toes and should be hungry to finish off matches.
There is nothing bad about winning by a huge margin.

SuperiorXI

Mourinho is not the only one. We might have won 3 nill but I came away feeling annoyed at the performance.

BT sport commentary especially made me laugh. Mikhitaryan our best player? He lost the ball countless times and was very undisciplined, scuffed two easy chances to score. Lindelof was never properly tested and apparently played exactly how Mourinho wants? It's like they were watching another match.

It was just about satisfactory that game. Basel were shite and we should have hit them for at least 5.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Wtf, how are we even discussing this? Everything that man says is blow far out of proportion.

Nothing wrong with those comments, surley :confused:
Indeed.
There is certainly no meltdown.
For the first time since Fergie left, when we face teams I am expecting us to steam roll opponents...and I'm liking that feeling.
Everton will be the next team to get pummelled.

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
Other than Mkhitaryan who is he talking about? There was one occasion when Matic gave the ball away right outside our box. Can't remember any outside those two.
I'm guessing he was referring to casual and lazy passes and players not staying in shape; so hardly fantasy football, but something that understandingly upset him. It's that, 'always expect the worse,' mentality he wants the players to have; he'd rather win 2-0 than 5-3. And thats not me being critical of Jose, thats just the way the bloke is

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Other than Mkhitaryan who is he talking about? There was one occasion when Matic gave the ball away right outside our box. Can't remember any outside those two.
Lindelof almost provided a goal scoring pass to their center forward. Also a nifty back pass from Fellaini (of all people) to Mata.

ShakeUnBake

So, Aguero eh? Great Arsenal player
Supports
Ajax
Well, that's a promotional gaffe from Sony UK. Giving an opinion about football is one thing, but to make fun of the manager of the most popular club in the world? What's he on about next time, religion?

RooneyLegend

He's so anti football that it amazes me that he was appointed as our manager, and Madrid's before that.