Gaming Anthem (video game) | Update cancelled.

Revan

Assumptionman
EA don't lose here only Bioware.

EA probably knew Anthem was going to tank and thus approved the very quick release of Apex.
EA own BioWare though. Anthem likely cost a shitload of money (hundred(s) of millions), and since BioWare was purchased (for close to a billion), it has been mostly failures. To the point, that if BioWare gets closed today, who knows if EA even got back their own money from this adventure.

BioWare aren't even an autonomous studio anymore, they are totally integrated in EA, so BioWare's loss is EA's loss.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
But EA should've learned their lesson many times over by now. I don't know why it'd be in their best interests to intentionally sabotage the likes of Bioware over many years, so I'd have to believe it's little more than frightening incompetence that leads to this happening again and again to formerly top-tier development studios.
The people at the top typically have no clue. It's why a lot of the best talent leave when things like this happen, it's because working under people like that is soul destroying in a job you should love.

Marcelinho87

EA own BioWare though. Anthem likely cost a shitload of money (hundred(s) of millions), and since BioWare was purchased (for close to a billion), it has been mostly failures. To the point, that if BioWare gets closed today, who knows if EA even got back their own money from this adventure.

BioWare aren't even an autonomous studio anymore, they are totally integrated in EA, so BioWare's loss is EA's loss.
Yes I agree Anthem will have cost a bit to make although not quite as high as some reckon as it is just a shell of a game afterall. But maybe the EA execs saw the writing on the wall and green lighted a free to play micro transaction monster in Apex which can mop up any losses through loot box sales.

Art Vandelay

What I gather is that I should buy Metro instead? I downloaded a demo for this the other night butdoesnt sound that promising.
It depends what you're after really. I wouldn't even describe Metro as a shooter, it's more of a stealth game where you can shoot stuff. The shooting mechanics aren't brilliant. I'm enjoying it a lot but it's a game that throws so many ideas in there and they don't all land. It's a very different prospect to Anthem, but if you're after an immersive post apocalyptic stealth game with some shooting then I'd say it's well worth a go.

Kaos

The thing is BioWare have been dead for a long time. In fact they died pretty much when the doctors left, and none of their talented employees are still there. They’re now just another EA farm for mediocre, ‘games as a live service’ offerings that’s riding on the back of the illustrious BioWare name. Andromeda was testament to that as you could clearly tell the gulf of quality between it and the previous mass effect games, their current talent just isn’t there.

Assuming this games bombs in terms of sales then it’s serious dire straits for EA. Battlefront flopped, Battlefield V flopped, less players interested in FIFA ultimate and now Anthem has been another expensive failure.

Kaos

Yes I agree Anthem will have cost a bit to make although not quite as high as some reckon as it is just a shell of a game afterall. But maybe the EA execs saw the writing on the wall and green lighted a free to play micro transaction monster in Apex which can mop up any losses through loot box sales.
At this stage apex is actually fairly consumer friendly. The extra characters you can unlock normally after a couple of hours and the loot boxes are only for cosmetic gear like weapon skins, character poses, stat trackers etc. It’s pretty much mirroring the Fortnite model. Heck I’ve not spent a single penny and still don’t feel compelled to.

But this is an EA publication after all so it wouldn’t surprise me to see EA pull an activision and start to rain the micro transactional shitbombs at us after the reviews have settled and the player base hasn’t grown, so pretty soon perhaps...

Marcelinho87

At this stage apex is actually fairly consumer friendly. The extra characters you can unlock normally after a couple of hours and the loot boxes are only for cosmetic gear like weapon skins, character poses, stat trackers etc. It’s pretty much mirroring the Fortnite model. Heck I’ve not spent a single penny and still don’t feel compelled to.

But this is an EA publication after all so it wouldn’t surprise me to see EA pull an activision and start to rain the micro transactional shitbombs at us after the reviews have settled and the player base hasn’t grown, so pretty soon perhaps...
That is because you don't have the addiction... I know people who have already bought 45 boxes on there.

The thing wrong with the apex model already is for instance one weapon costs 1100 points but you can only buy either 1000 or 2000 so you have to pay the extra for the 2000 points which then leaves you with 900.

I will wait on the battlepass before I compare it with Fortnite as their BP is quite good.

Good that no competitive edge can be bought though.

Kaos

That is because you don't have the addiction... I know people who have already bought 45 boxes on there.

The thing wrong with the apex model already is for instance one weapon costs 1100 points but you can only buy either 1000 or 2000 so you have to pay the extra for the 2000 points which then leaves you with 900.

I will wait on the battlepass before I compare it with Fortnite as their BP is quite good.

Good that no competitive edge can be bought though.
Those are extreme cases though and those people ought to seek help for addiction.

The one thing they do which is somewhat admirable is listing the probability of getting an item of a particular rarity class unlike in FUT where a ‘chance of getting an epic’ really means a 0.7% roll of the dice. But I’d imagine that’s to preemptively circumvent future loot box laws like the recent ones in Belgium.

So far I’m OK with the model since it’s a game that’s free at the price of entry with no pay2win transactions (yet). But again I’m someone who gives no fecks about cosmetics and will happily rock default skins all the way.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Those are extreme cases though and those people ought to seek help for addiction.

The one thing they do which is somewhat admirable is listing the probability of getting an item of a particular rarity class unlike in FUT where a ‘chance of getting an epic’ really means a 0.7% roll of the dice. But I’d imagine that’s to preemptively circumvent future loot box laws like the recent ones in Belgium.

So far I’m OK with the model since it’s a game that’s free at the price of entry with no pay2win transactions (yet). But again I’m someone who gives no fecks about cosmetics and will happily rock default skins all the way.
It's not really admirable when they have to list it in order to comply with laws in some countries they want to be in.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

I actually had forgot it was a free game, makes spending £20-30 on cosmetics seem ok

Marcelinho87

I agree wholly with you but they are not extreme cases they are very common and is what these exact models pray on.

Revan

Assumptionman
Retail sales in UK are half of that of Andromeda, or a quarter of that Mass Effect 3 had. Ouch!

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Still shouldn't be loot boxes in Apex, even for a free game.

Look at fortnite and how much money they make from just letting people buy what they want without gambling. That should be the model for games like that, even if they are too pricey, at least the people can pick and choose.

Bojan11

Still shouldn't be loot boxes in Apex, even for a free game.

Look at fortnite and how much money they make from just letting people buy what they want without gambling. That should be the model for games like that, even if they are too pricey, at least the people can pick and choose.
EA don’t have a clue.

Their CEO Andrew Wilson was one of creators of FUT. All they chasing is the next FUT to cash in on.

There’s no innovation or any desire to create anything new. It’s how much money can we make off each person rather than can we make a brilliant game. I know companies are here to make money. But if you make brilliant games then the money part will come easily.

EA last gen did try to create new shit like Dead Space, Mirrors Edge, Skate, Dantes inferno and others I probably forgotten.

A lot of the key Dice staff have left. Soderlund left because he probably got fed up and has started his own company. They hired and fired Jade Raymond and Any Henning without them doing anything.

Fifa points are banned in Belgium. Hoping more countries follow suit.

Apex Legends is probably the only thing of note they have done this gen. For a company that size it’s shocking.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I’m enjoying Anthem, but I completely understand why it’s not getting good reviews.

It’s going to need a huge amount of content quick or it’s going to die fast. Unlikely the content is coming quick so it’ll likely be a footnote in a month or so when division 2 launches

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I might pick this up actually, I quite like the setting ... I expect division 2 to be the better game but Jesus Christ are straight streets boring!

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
EA don’t have a clue.

Their CEO Andrew Wilson was one of creators of FUT. All they chasing is the next FUT to cash in on.

There’s no innovation or any desire to create anything new. It’s how much money can we make off each person rather than can we make a brilliant game. I know companies are here to make money. But if you make brilliant games then the money part will come easily.

EA last gen did try to create new shit like Dead Space, Mirrors Edge, Skate, Dantes inferno and others I probably forgotten.

A lot of the key Dice staff have left. Soderlund left because he probably got fed up and has started his own company. They hired and fired Jade Raymond and Any Henning without them doing anything.

Apex Legends is probably the only thing of note they have done this gen. For a company that size it’s shocking.
Any news on as to when it could happen in UK? It's clear form of gambling, even with pack probabilities.

Runner

PS4 users be careful. Anthem is crashing the console and turning some of them into bricks.

Ady87

I was so hyped for Anthem but Blackout and Apex take all the time I'm prepared to give to gaming. It will be something I pick up in a years time for pennies and give a couple of hours.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I was so hyped for Anthem but Blackout and Apex take all the time I'm prepared to give to gaming. It will be something I pick up in a years time for pennies and give a couple of hours.
It might be a good game by that point once they actually finish it. Or it'll be dead.

Vadim

I’ve never understood how these loot shooters get so popular?

Destiny and the Division were boring ass. Kill lots of bad guys, collect a pair of shoes or some other crap reward, rinse and repeat.

Now it seems like the Battle Royale games are the new loot shooters. Apex is very good but what’s to do after you’ve won a few games?

I don’t get it but then again I’m old fashioned and still love single player gaming.

Coxy

I’ve never understood how these loot shooters get so popular?

Destiny and the Division were boring ass. Kill lots of bad guys, collect a pair of shoes or some other crap reward, rinse and repeat.

Now it seems like the Battle Royale games are the new loot shooters. Apex is very good but what’s to do after you’ve won a few games?

I don’t get it but then again I’m old fashioned and still love single player gaming.
Amen brother.

Although to be fair I did enjoy some Destiny action

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Was a pretty cool concept but with PS4 bricking and all the other issues that came with it I never picked it up, was it really that bad? I thought the beta was quite fun tbh.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I've downloaded it as it's on EA access, only done the first mission but I like it so far. Looks great too

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Yeah, this is nowhere near as bad as it is made out to be.

Quite fun to just jump into for one mission or so, still teaming up with ransoms, sometimes get a full squad, sometimes just one other player.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah, this is nowhere near as bad as it is made out to be.

Quite fun to just jump into for one mission or so, still teaming up with ransoms, sometimes get a full squad, sometimes just one other player.
I don't think it's the "game" as such, it's more the once you've completed it. The "end game" of loot grinding etc was pathetically bad. It had no replay value which is what a game like that needs to survive.

If you're picking it up to play the campaign and leave it there, then sure it's probably fun.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
But EA should've learned their lesson many times over by now. I don't know why it'd be in their best interests to intentionally sabotage the likes of Bioware over many years, so I'd have to believe it's little more than frightening incompetence that leads to this happening again and again to formerly top-tier development studios.
I think their aim is a scorched earth nuke. They buyout all the good ones and close them down one by one.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I don't think it's the "game" as such, it's more the once you've completed it. The "end game" of loot grinding etc was pathetically bad. It had no replay value which is what a game like that needs to survive.

If you're picking it up to play the campaign and leave it there, then sure it's probably fun.
Yeah I think it had some bad glitches and bugs and really long loading screens which I'm sure they have improved.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
EA don’t have a clue.

Problem is you cant actually breed creativity. But you can actually breed methodically farming your consumer with silly generic franchise and exploit the psychological part of them.

Bioware, maxis, and many other classic game company made a lot of great games but ultimately it's EA that made the best money.

Bojan11

The update has been cancelled.

In the spirit of transparency and closure we wanted to share that we’ve made the difficult decision to stop our new development work on Anthem (aka Anthem NEXT). We will, however, continue to keep the Anthem live service running as it exists today.

Since Anthem’s launch, the team has been working hard to continually improve the game, releasing multiple updates that brought with them a variety of improvements and introduced new content to play. Towards the end of 2019 we expanded on that effort and started working on a more fundamental restructure of the game.

I know this will be disappointing to the community of Anthem players who have been excited to see the improvements we’ve been working on. It’s also disappointing for the team who were doing brilliant work. And for me personally, Anthem is what brought me to BioWare, and the last two years have been some of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my career.

Game development is hard. Decisions like these are not easy. Moving forward Elvis is a twat, we need to laser focus our efforts as a studio and strengthen the next Dragon Age, and Mass Effect titles while continuing to provide quality updates to Star Wars: The Old Republic.
https://blog.bioware.com/2021/02/24/anthem-update/

AaronRedDevil

I really liked the idea and the look of the game. They shouldn't abandon the style ,, but have a do over and make it right.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I bought it for £39.99 from Shopto on release. I got around 60 hours out of it before I put it down for about 6 months then went back to try some of the added stuff and played another 10 or s hours.

The flying around and different feel to the suit classes was all pretty fun. The world wasn't too bad looking either. Endgame was trash though and this is why it was never going to make it.