g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

Of course it's fair enough it's up to him. But it makes us change our plans, the way people are talking they want him next year no matter what. Well we can't keep a spot open for him for a year because he changed his mind. It's not a signing I wanted to make anyway so I'm OK with the result. Doesn't mean I have to approve of his character. If I was manager and a player of mine was to say he was 6/10 to go to another club I'd pull him in. Luckily there is no chance of me managing Manchester United.
Except we know that what is said in public and private are two different things. We can speculate all we want based on what we've seen, heard and other stuff, but only AG, Jose and others relevant know whats been said.

If Jose wants him next year, fine thats all good. He might have told us before hand that he will join us as hes expecting the ban to be lifted. It was pretty much thought that would happen. When it didnt, he probably phoned United/Jose and explained the situation.
Now hes staying for a year.
If Jose doesnt want him next year, thats on AG.

Im just wondering why people are cursing him or telling him to Feck off on a forum. Its nuts.
He will be 27 next summer and still a player I think we should look into getting as thats a good 3-4 seasons I think we can get out of him.

Infra-red

No doubt there'll be an increase in his buyout clause. Nailed on certainty.
Atletico president Enrique Cerezo: "Yes, it's one more year and the release clause will remain the same."

I was wrong. If we can manage to qualify for the Champions League again, I expect we'll revisit this in a year's time.

Jaybomb

Exactly!!!
The way some of our fans cling onto these targets is cringeworthy. He was a never a United player. He used our club for a better contract just like Ramos, Vidal and others before him.

I want players who want to play for the club. I don't want guys who say "Oh it's a 6/10 chance I'll be joining", we need guys who say "There's a 10/10 chance"

The ball was in Griezmann's court and he chose to stay. I'm honestly sick of hearing about now. The cock tease.

reelworld

Atletico president Enrique Cerezo: "Yes, it's one more year and the release clause will remain the same."

I was wrong. If we can manage to qualify for the Champions League again, I expect we'll revisit this in a year's time.
If our attack works great without him, then we may not go for him. It's all depends what will happen next season. I think AG took a massive risk in delaying this move. There are alot of things that could resulted in United not going back for him

cyberman

This wouldn't be the first time a player or club has decided to stay or keep a player for one more year before leaving. I'm sure Jose knows how to deal with it. It probably means a reprieve for Mata or Mkhi as a 10.

Clas Sified

The way some of our fans cling onto these targets is cringeworthy. He was a never a United player. He used our club for a better contract just like Ramos, Vidal and others before him.

I want players who want to play for the club. I don't want guys who say "Oh it's a 6/10 chance I'll be joining", we need guys who say "There's a 10/10 chance"

The ball was in Griezmann's court and he chose to stay. I'm honestly sick of hearing about now. The cock tease.
:lol: No player that is currently contracted to another club would say this unless a deal was pretty much completed. I think it's pretty clear that he didn't use us the way others have before; he clearly wanted to sign for us.

RedNed77

Is it possible United are comfortable with him staying for another season and have gone along willingly? Do we really want to be like Real where we manipulate players from other clubs into pushing for a move and feck the consequences for the other team?

Is it conceivable that we have already put a gentleman's agreement in place with Atletico for next summer and we'll focus on strengthening other areas of the team this year?

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Is it possible United are comfortable with him staying for another season and have gone along willingly? Do we really want to be like Real where we manipulate players from other clubs into pushing for a move and feck the consequences for the other team?

Is it conceivable that we have already put a gentleman's agreement in place with Atletico for next summer and we'll focus on strengthening other areas of the team this year?
When and how exactly did we manipulate Griezmann into forcing a move to United?

notcool

Supports
a
See you next year, Griezmann. You bastard. I love you. Hope you score lots of goals for us when you sign next summer. cnut.

AXVnee7

Griezmann is a very good player but no Messi. I would be astonished if Jose is entertaining the idea that we'll wait for Griezmann next summer. There are others players who we can build a strong attack with and we should look at recruiting those now. If we're in a position next summer where we can actually say to Griezmann, 'nah mate you had your chance', we'd actually be in a much stronger position to negotiate him coming over here as a result. In other words he'd be more a luxury than a must get, although most likely he'd still walk into our first XI. Such is his quality. But right now the focus should be building a strong, coherent attack for this upcoming season because Griezmann is a sidequest now.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Why would they lower the release clause? Both parties know teams i.e. United are willing to pay that fee for him. So no reason to lower it.
To make it more likely that he can get his dream move. Repaying the loyalty he has shown to them. If I were Griezmann I wouldn't be so sure that we would come back in for me a year later.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
So, he used us to get a better contract with his current club.
Have I got this right?

whatwha

Have I got this right?
Apparently so. Though it may not have been his intent. Maybe he was thick enough to not expect his club to get a transfer ban.

Cliche Guevara

I wonder how much damage he's actually caused us by stringing us along. We seem to have spent a lot of time trying to come to an agreement with him. How many targets might we have missed out on? Which players might we otherwise have signed if we hadn't been wasting our time on this?

We also have people hoping he and Atletico have a successful season, on the back of keeping Griezmann and adding further quality in January - possibly at the expense of United. It's bizarre.

Noc-Z

ffs
It doesn't matter. He is a world class player and those are always welcome.
You don't just sign players for the hell of it, they have to fit and compliment each other. For example if 4-3-3 works best for us we don't need him. He's best as a 10 or a second striker so there would be no place for him. You don't just buy players and shoehorn them in.

whatwha

I wonder how much damage he's actually caused us by stringing us along. We seem to have spent a lot of time trying to come to an agreement with him. How many targets might we have missed out on? Which players might we otherwise have signed if we hadn't been wasting our time on this?

We also have people hoping he and Atletico have a successful season, on the back of keeping Griezmann and adding further quality in January - possibly at the expense of United. It's bizarre.
I'm quite sure we haven't missed out on anyone due to this. Thankfully this was resolved early in the summer. There's still plenty of time left to sign others.

itso 7

Griezmann is a very good player but no Messi. I would be astonished if Jose is entertaining the idea that we'll wait for Griezmann next summer. There are others players who we can build a strong attack with and we should look at recruiting those now. If we're in a position next summer where we can actually say to Griezmann, 'nah mate you had your chance', we'd actually be in a much stronger position to negotiate him coming over here as a result. In other words he'd be more a luxury than a must get, although most likely he'd still walk into our first XI. Such is his quality. But right now the focus should be building a strong, coherent attack for this upcoming season because Griezmann is a sidequest now.
Right he is good but not good enough to waste a season waiting for him.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Have I got this right?
Its not the case if it is similar to the Suarez situation. But if he genuinely doesnt come here next summer and stays with them for a while then yes.

Captain Obvious

27 is the new 32. Why the hell should be even bother with signing someone over 20?
Can you make your point without being condescending?

Im just saying that because we're losing a year of Griezzman we shouldnt pay the amount we were going to pay this season, it should be lower for a soon to be 28 year old.

There is a light years difference in getting a 26 year old player for 5 years (ends at 31) than a 28 year old player (whos contract will end at 33), it means we're again getting a player whos near their 4th quarter of their career

My only point is that we should not offer the same amount. Its like youre about to buy a new car but some other guy buys it, puts mileage on it then offers it back to you for your original price 1 year later.

Hello.. its 1 year older.

Can you make your point without being condescending?

Im just saying that because we're losing a year of Griezzman we shouldnt pay the amount we were going to pay this season, it should be lower for a soon to be 28 year old.

There is a light years difference in getting a 26 year old player for 5 years (ends at 31) than a 28 year old player (whos contract will end at 33), it means we're again getting a player whos near their 4th quarter of their career

My only point is that we should not offer the same amount. Its like youre about to buy a new car but some other guy buys it, puts mileage on it then offers it back to you for your original price 1 year later.

Hello.. its 1 year older.
Wait if it's only one year how does his age go from 26 to 28? :houllier:

Captain Obvious

Wait if it's only one year how does his age go from 26 to 28? :houllier:
If we signed him today, he just turned 26 3 months ago,

if we sign him next season, itll be in August because of the world cup and release clause, so he'll be 5 or so months away from being 28.

My point is that we shouldnt pay the same amount for him because we lose 1 year of his playing capabilities when they are at their maximum

C'est Moi Cantona

if we sign him next season, itll be in August because of the world cup and release clause, so he'll be 5 or so months away from being 28.

My point is that we shouldnt pay the same amount for him because we lose 1 year of his playing capabilities when they are at their maximum

12 months time fees will be higher still, so even at the ripe age of 27 he'll be a good buy.

Clear as day that we have pressed the pause button for 12 months, so will be a United player this time next year, assuming all goes to plan this season.

RedNed77

When and how exactly did we manipulate Griezmann into forcing a move to United?
I'm thinking we've probably spoken to him. Unless without any kind of contact at all both him and United started to moot a possible transfer.

"We'll pay you lots of cash if you join us and leave Atletico" would probably count as manipulation (or encouragement, which are pretty much the same thing).

The manipulation comment was more aimed at what Real seem to do to their transfer targets.

Edit: I also think if you read my comment again I don't think you'll find I ever said we did.

RedNed77

Isnt that the definition of tapping up? Talking to a player without the consent of the club?
Probably. Does everybody do it? Probably.

I don't see how you could realistically operate in the transfer market without sounding out a player first. You could spend half your time negotiating transfer fees before finding out half the players you want to sign aren't interested. It's a stupid rule.

It's also rendered obsolete if you're going to have a buy out clause. Ultimately there's nothing to negotiate if you're willing to meet the clause.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
12 months time fees will be higher still, so even at the ripe age of 27 he'll be a good buy.

Clear as day that we have pressed the pause button for 12 months, so will be a United player this time next year, assuming all goes to plan this season.
I'm not sure about that.
He seems to have played us for a better contract.
The fact is that he has been suggesting that he would move to MUFC (just like Ramos did last year). Then when his bluff is called, we hear in the news that h e has re-signed with his current club.
The only difference is that he said, "it would be a dirty move", where Ramos declared his love for Madrid. This seems to have appeased MUFC fans.
I myself, don't want him here. I'd much prefer players at MUFC who want to be here more than Athletico or PSG (remember Di Maria?).

Anyway, we need to look to what is going to happen this Summer, so Morata and Belotti seem to be the guys in the picture.

C'est Moi Cantona

I'm not sure about that.
The fact is that he has been suggesting that he would move to MUFC (just like Ramos did last year). Then when his bluff is called, we hear in the news that h e has re-signed with his current club.
The only difference is that he said, "it would be a dirty move", where Ramos declared his love for Madrid. This seems to have appeased MUFC fans.
I myself, don't want him here. I'd much prefer players at MUFC who want to be here more than Athletico or PSG (remember Di Maria?).

Anyway, we need to look to what is going to happen this Summer, so Morata and Belotti seem to be the guys in the picture.
He just hasn't though, and i couldn't be more different to the Ramos situation, but I guess we'll need to wait 12 months to confirm it.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Not 100% sure we will sign him next year but it is clear as day though that Athletico's transfer ban changed the ball game.

D4X73r

I don't see a big problem here. He got his newer (and for sure better) contract there to play for another year and we buy him next year after the transfer ban. We only have to wait.

If you look at it, he will cost us the same next year as this year, because the release clause is the same. Maybe he really wants to play for them during the transfer ban because he doesn't want to be a dick to them after all they did together and he (or his agent) insisted to let the release clause be the same as before, so we can go after him next year for the same price. So it's only a matter of time if you ask me

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We shouldnt really buy him now. I have the feeling that other, younger players will emerge who will justify a high transfer fee

acnumber9

But the season doesn't start until August so it's not like we get more than an extra year of use from him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If that was his intention the release clause would have been increased when he got the contract he wanted. But from all accounts it has stayed the same, which only really makes sense if his intention is to actually carry through with his plans to leave next season (and Atletico know it). That doesn't make it a 100% certainty that he will leave as you never know what will happen, but it's obvious that that is what he is currently planning. The new contract is just Atletico thanking him for sticking with them during their transfer ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.