• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Since when did all the world class footballers at our team or potentially coming to our team require such specific circumstances to excel? If these players are so limited as you say then why did we even want them...
I'm not saying they're limited though. Messi plays better with a midfield that can give him the ball in between the lines, Cristiano Ronaldo plays better next to a striker like Benzema, Griezmann plays better next to a more physical striker, Pogba plays better on the left side of a 4-3-3, etc.. All players have set ups that make them excel and getting the absolute best out of both Griezmann and Pogba on the same team whilst having a balanced team doesn't seem easy to me. That's all.

Griezmann can play well on the wing but you're about to play 100 million euros for him, I'd expect him to perform at his best and I don't see that happening without it being next to another striker for most of your matches.

Griezmann has everything Mata has and more yet he cannot play as a no.10...very strange. Pogba has one of the best passing range and vision in the world and is a physical powerhouse yet people think he should be pushed up the field where he can have less influence on the game.
If you play Griezmann like Mata plays you won't get the best out of him though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, I just found it particularly interesting since I'm assuming you'll get either Morata or Belotti and I see this becoming too similar to the problem France had in the Euros.

M4YON

Like the look of that, although I'd make some minor changes.

Don't think we need a centre back and left back. Well, I don't think Mourinho will get both.

Also think its vital we get a holding midfielder this season to replace Carrick. Can imagine we'll play a 3 man midfield quite a few times next season too, meaning we'd need more than 4 midfielders.

Think Ibrahimovic will be our striker next season. We'll probably splash out on a striker the season after next.

Knew I'd missed a player out for Carrick, Fabinho? I also think we will keep hold of Blind and Darmian for squad depth.

Rooney, Smalling and Young to leave.

notcool

Supports
a
@M4YON
Mendy is surely City bound. And I'm not sure we even want a LB. Darmian and Shaw will suffice.

M4YON

@M4YON
Mendy is surely City bound. And I'm not sure we even want a LB. Darmian and Shaw will suffice.
Darmian is fine as a back up but i think it's unclear whether Mourinho trusts Shaw after this season after all he's played Darmian, Blind and even Ashley Young over him all season.

notcool

Supports
a
Darmian is fine as a back up but i think it's unclear whether Mourinho trusts Shaw after this season after all he's played Darmian, Blind and even Ashley Young over him all season.
I think Mourinho likes Darmian as the unspectacular LB who likes to defend, sort of like Azpilicueta.

RC89

Play a 4-3-3 with a couple of additional signings,

-------------------De-Gea------------------
--Valencia-----Bailly----Van Dijk----Shaw--
-------------------Fabinho------------------
---------Herrera--------------Pogba--------
------------------Greizmann----------------
-----------Rashford-------Martial-----------
Would absolutely love this if it came off, we'd need two flying fullbacks though. Valencia is one, can Shaw do the other? My greatest concern however would be if Rashford and Martial can prove clinical enough to be trusted as our main strikers over a whole season. Would like to see us signing another striker, maybe not a world class striker but someone dependable to chip in with goals if called upon.

M4YON

I think Mourinho likes Darmian as the unspectacular LB who likes to defend, sort of like Azpilicueta.
I can see that being true but does he like Shaw being the attacking LB who bombs down the wing with pace and whips crosses in? I don't think he does and those are Mendy's best attributes. Press are also linking us to Danny Rose so they clearly think we are in the market for a LB.

SouthPredators4

It will be Mkhitaryan and Greizmann on the flanks, both coming in centrally frequently while the fullbacks provide width as well. Martial and Rashford will back up both players and a new striker.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.

That's tasty :drool: . I don't think we'll get Van Dijk though. It will be Keane until Rojo comes back. And think Micky will be in that lineup instead of Martial (push Griezmann up alongside Rashford and Micky behind them)

Mr Smith

If Mourinho is going to go back to his favourite formation it will be along the lines of this dependingon who we sign.

This is pretty much exactly what I want to see next season, with the added addition of another holding midfielder to replace Carrick. Obviously the system will vary from game to game; depending on the striker we get (or if we get one) we could see Griezmann up top or on the right in some games.

bobglory

There's never been anything officially confirming that he's a Utd fan. But it seems very likely since his brother is such an obvious fan and the fact that he's confirmed that he's a huge Beckham fanboy (Becks is the reason he wears long sleeves and takes the number 7).
yea it kinda looks that way and hopefully the money and robsons shirt is up for grabs eh :)

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I'm not saying they're limited though. Messi plays better with a midfield that can give him the ball in between the lines, Cristiano Ronaldo plays better next to a striker like Benzema, Griezmann plays better next to a more physical striker, Pogba plays better on the left side of a 4-3-3, etc.. All players have set ups that make them excel and getting the absolute best out of both Griezmann and Pogba on the same team whilst having a balanced team doesn't seem easy to me. That's all.

Griezmann can play well on the wing but you're about to play 100 million euros for him, I'd expect him to perform at his best and I don't see that happening without it being next to another striker for most of your matches.

If you play Griezmann like Mata plays you won't get the best out of him though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, I just found it particularly interesting since I'm assuming you'll get either Morata or Belotti and I see this becoming too similar to the problem France had in the Euros.
There is next to nothing to say that Pogba plays better on the left side of a 4-3-3 (better than what? there is nothing to compare him to because Juventus was his first period where he is part of the first 11 of a team). Using international football as some benchmark is ludicrous since it is a completely different type of football and Deschamps is an average manager. Im not sure there has ever been a midfielder that has been boxed into such a specific role just because he played there at his first club. He has all the attributes to be an all-round CM, not some sort of flair player that plays in an advanced position. He is statistically the 3rd best player in the league as a midfielder and at a similar level to Juventus, if that is not evidence that he can be the heart of our midfield then i dont know what is. Highest number of passes, chances created, through balls, he has performed well both the offensive and defensive phase and will get better as he grows older.

Griezmann will not play on the wing if he comes here and I have never said as such. And if you did not notice Mata does not play as a no.10 because he does not have the right qualities to play as a no.10 under Mourinho. Griezmann does have the qualities to play as a no.10 because he retains possession, regains possession and makes use of possession better than Mata. Mata is ineffective when the team does not have possession, whereas Griezmann is effective in all phases of the game.

Mourinho used Stankovic, Alonso and Fabregas in a midfield 2. Sneijder, Ozil and Oscar were all dynamic players that could countribute in midfield, be a playmaker and score goals. Sniejder and Ozil have been used as second strikers in phases of the game by Mourinho to support Milito and Ronaldo.

“A number 10 for me is an eight-and-a-half when the team loses the ball, and the number 10 is a nine-and-a-half when the team has the ball. Who is my perfect number 10? Wesley Sneijder and Deco. Because they could defend, get in the box and finish goals? Yes.” Griezmann alternates between an advanced midfielder, a second striker and a striker depending on the circumstances; he is a good no.10 by Mourinho's own words.

Walters_19_MuFc

Knew I'd missed a player out for Carrick, Fabinho? I also think we will keep hold of Blind and Darmian for squad depth.

Rooney, Smalling and Young to leave.
I think so too, hence why I don't think Mourinho will add a centre back and left back. Think one of the two.

Fabinho is a great shout. Either him or Danilo Pereira and we're set at the defensive midfielder position.

Devil may care

We shouldn't be bringing Ibrahimovic back at all, he's 36 on a dinged wheel, he should head off to the MLS and be their showpiece. We need a #9 that suits Griezmann, that isn't Rashford.

Last edited:

ilovethisgameahahah

It's not just that he's unspectacular going forwards, he's very average defensively too. For a player that has one job (basically a CB) he doesn't do it anywhere near the level required. He's lightyears away from Azpilicueta. We're linked to Mendy which suggests Mourinho doesn't really trust him either, he would be an ok backup though but i personally think we should let Mitchell fight for the backup spot.

Unless you have a Hazard or Neymar type player, having a defensive fullback limits a team going forwards more than it helps them defensively.

Mr Smith

We shouldn't be bringing Ibrahimovic back at all, he's 36 on a dinged wheel, he should head off the MLS and be their showpiece. We need a #9 that suits Griezmann, that isn't Rashford.
You're right in theory, but I think the reason most people want to wait until Ibrahimovic gets back rather than buying a new guy is because they feel the market for strikers is pretty thin this summer. Morata in my opinion would have been perfect for us, but unfortunately he's (most likely) been stolen off the market by Milan. Who else? Belotti? Lukaku? Maybe, but it looks like either would cost significantly more than they're worth. I would certainly like a new 9, but I do think there's a serious chance we won't get one.

Devil may care

You're right in theory, but I think the reason most people want to wait until Ibrahimovic gets back rather than buying a new guy is because they feel the market for strikers is pretty thin this summer. Morata in my opinion would have been perfect for us, but unfortunately he's (most likely) been stolen off the market by Milan. Who else? Belotti? Lukaku? Maybe, but it looks like either would cost significantly more than they're worth. I would certainly like a new 9, but I do think there's a serious chance we won't get one.
The thing is Ibra is too old, his lack of mobility was an issue last season and if Griezmann comes in he needs a mobile target man to play off, I'm not overwhelmed by the options on the market either but we can't play half a season with a 19 year old that can't hold the ball up as our #9 while we wait for a 36 year old coming off a 9 month lay off with a serious injury, it would kill any title challenge before it even began and would even put top 4 in jeopardy with how competetive the PL is right now, IMO. The options aren't going to get any better next summer either, the best #9's are at clubs that aren't going to be selling so chances are the market will be even narrower and if we missed out on top 4 again we'd be facing another uphill situation, I don't rate Lukaku very highly and Belotti isn't amazing, but either makes more sense than the alternative.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
There is next to nothing to say that Pogba plays better on the left side of a 4-3-3 (better than what? there is nothing to compare him to because Juventus was his first period where he is part of the first 11 of a team). Using international football as some benchmark is ludicrous since it is a completely different type of football and Deschamps is an average manager.
He's always looked better on the left side of a 4-3-3, I'm sure he could play on the right side too, but what I mean is that he's not a DM, he's a box to box. As for not being able to play in a 4-4-2, I also think most midfielders can't if you play with the wide players United have. Real Madrid have the best midfield in the world, but take out one of the three of Casemiro,Kroos or Modric for Griezmann and the other 2 will struggle.

I didn't use international football as a benchmark. France have had a problem getting the best out of Pogba and Griezmann and they've tried a lot of different things. United will have both Pogba and Griezmann if they sign him. That's why I brought it up

Im not sure there has ever been a midfielder that has been boxed into such a specific role just because he played there at his first club. He has all the attributes to be an all-round CM, not some sort of flair player that plays in an advanced position.

He is statistically the 3rd best player in the league as a midfielder and at a similar level to Juventus, if that is not evidence that he can be the heart of our midfield then i dont know what is. Highest number of passes, chances created, through balls, he has performed well both the offensive and defensive phase and will get better as he grows older.
I didn't say he would be some sort of flair player that plays in an advanced position though... And I didn't say he isn't an all-round CM. I said he won't be at his best in a 4-4-2 in a two man midfield.

Griezmann will not play on the wing if he comes here and I have never said as such. And if you did not notice Mata does not play as a no.10 because he does not have the right qualities to play as a no.10 under Mourinho. Griezmann does have the qualities to play as a no.10 because he retains possession, regains possession and makes use of possession better than Mata. Mata is ineffective when the team does not have possession, whereas Griezmann is effective in all phases of the game.

Mourinho used Stankovic, Alonso and Fabregas in a midfield 2. Sneijder, Ozil and Oscar were all dynamic players that could countribute in midfield, be a playmaker and score goals. Sniejder and Ozil have been used as second strikers in phases of the game by Mourinho to support Milito and Ronaldo.

“A number 10 for me is an eight-and-a-half when the team loses the ball, and the number 10 is a nine-and-a-half when the team has the ball. Who is my perfect number 10? Wesley Sneijder and Deco. Because they could defend, get in the box and finish goals? Yes.” Griezmann alternates between an advanced midfielder, a second striker and a striker depending on the circumstances; he is a good no.10 by Mourinho's own words.
I don't think Griezmann can play as a 10 at all. He'll play behind the striker but he's never been a number 10 in his life and he won't suddenly turn into one. I don't think he's similar to any of the players you listed either or that he can be a eight and a half without the ball like Mourinho says. I'll leave it at that as we're getting a bit off topic too and I bored myself. Let's just agree on disagreeing and we'll see how things are once the season starts.

Bojan11

There are a lot of strikers around.

I don't see anything changing next year. Maybe we might get another Mbappe breaking through and be asked to pay £100m for him. The club needs to replace Ibrahimovic now if we want to challenge for the league. Whether it's a flat track bully like Lukaku or Belloti. We are not challenging for the league with Rashford as our main striker because he quite simply is not ready.

Signing Griezmann alone isn't going to solve our attacking problems. Ibrahimovic and Rooney leaving means we should be looking to sign two and then a bonus attacker to boost the squad.

CG1010

If Mourinho is going to go back to his favourite formation it will be along the lines of this dependingon who we sign.

The key to that succeeding will be Martial returning to playing upto his potential (besides obviously getting a new ST that you have already mentioned). Else we will again be light again at the wings as Mikhi usually moves infield. We need somebody with pace who can get past their full back regularly and from what I have heard here, Perisic isn't a player like that.

Giflet

"Woody call him on his cell phone,
tell him that we need his help.
Yeh Woody called him on his cell phone,
he told him that we need his help.
I know when that hotline bling,
it can only mean one thing.
And I know when that hotline bling,
it'll mean we've signed Griezmann!"

....This could be a long summer

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The best way to get most out of Griezmann and Pogba is use Antoine as a false 9 with two pacey wing forwards ala Mbappe/ Bale.

That way you always have a goal threat and Pogba has passing options, Griezmann can roam too.

4231 is okay at home vs weak teams but it would get found out against the top sides and it wouldn't get the best out of that duo

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
There is next to nothing to say that Pogba plays better on the left side of a 4-3-3 (better than what? there is nothing to compare him to because Juventus was his first period where he is part of the first 11 of a team). Using international football as some benchmark is ludicrous since it is a completely different type of football and Deschamps is an average manager. Im not sure there has ever been a midfielder that has been boxed into such a specific role just because he played there at his first club. He has all the attributes to be an all-round CM, not some sort of flair player that plays in an advanced position. He is statistically the 3rd best player in the league as a midfielder and at a similar level to Juventus, if that is not evidence that he can be the heart of our midfield then i dont know what is. Highest number of passes, chances created, through balls, he has performed well both the offensive and defensive phase and will get better as he grows older.

I think you're really exaggerating the similarities between Griezmann and some of these players as well as the qualities that players like Deco and Sneijder actually supplied to Mourinho's teams, that quote notwithstanding. Deco and Sneijder were true midfielders who were great passers, excellent in tight spaces, and contributed hugely to build up and transitional play from their more advanced midfield positions. They were fundamental to making those teams tick in possession and to unlocking packed defenses with creative passing. Despite what that quote implies, they were not actually big goal scorers for Mourinho - Deco scored four goals in all competitions in Mourinho's great 2003-4 season, Sneijder scored eight in 2008-2009. Griezmann is a totally different player. He has been exclusively a winger or second striker in a striking partnership, never a midfielder, throughout his career. His best qualities are movement without the ball in advanced positions and finishing in the box, not creativity on the ball, dribbling, or working through the buildup. He really isn't a 10 and trying to make him into one, with all the responsibilities on the ball and in the build up that players like Deco and Sneijder had, is probably a bad idea.

IMO, the more likely scenario involves Griezmann as a wide forward in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 with license to roam into the middle and relatively few defensive responsibilities, akin to Eto'o at Inter, Ronaldo at Real, or Hazard at Chelsea. This also helps make sense of the Perisic rumor, as Mourinho has traditionally liked to balance the team by having the other winger be a hard working player with a big engine that can run up and down the field and carry more defensive duties (Pandev, Di Maria, Willian, etc).

Last edited:

Lentwood

Most places struggle when compared with London, Paris, Milan, Madrid and Barcelona and them kind of places.
Manchester is nice enough, your not moving to the ass end of nowhere
Manchester has as much going for it as any major city in terms of social life. Only probably is the weather really is crap!

rampo

I've done the liberty of estimating where Antoine might be between now and July 8th to get an idea of when he might sign.
This is all dependent on if he plays any/all of the 3 games this June.

Potential Griezmann timeline:
May 30th - May 31st/ June 1st: in spain, travelling back to Rennes, France.
June 1st - June 2nd: in the training camp with France for the international game vs Paraguay, in Rennes. Game on at 8pm GMT.
June 3rd - 6th: ?
June 6-7th: Flying to stockholm with French squad
June 8-9th: training camp with France for WC qualifier game vs Sweden, in Friends Arena, Sweden.
June 9-12: ?
June 12-13th: training camp with France, near Paris presumably
June 13th: in squad for game vs England, in Stade De France.
June 14th -30th? Honeymoon with his new wife???
July 1st - 8th?

If we sign him, it'll probably become more concrete after the 14th, but before the 30th June.

I'll add to this when I get more info....
That's some high quality stalking, right there :drool::drool:

Ban

"Woody call him on his cell phone,
tell him that we need his help.
Yeh Woody called him on his cell phone,
he told him that we need his help.
I know when that hotline bling,
it can only mean one thing.
And I know when that hotline bling,
it'll mean we've signed Griezmann!"

....This could be a long summer
These songs rarely turn out good.
Exhibit A.

(No hard feelings)

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Lukaku would be my choice, Belotti would be too risky and Morata looks Milan bound.
Lukaku's goal record is just awesome so I'm in agreement sign him and Griezmann and we have goals galore next season.

BenjaminP

Lukaku and Zlatan two up front would be exciting to watch, though not so much effective.
Imagine us chasing a goal in 90th minute corner kick with Lukaku Zlatan Fellaini Persic Baily Smalling Pogba Valencia in the box :drool: Thats intimidating

MDFC Manager

His movement his just stunning :drool: plus his excellent finishing. Exactly the kind of dynamism that we require in the final third.

He'll be devastating if we move to a proper counterattacking setup.

plex

Griezmann is a (secondary) striker, that's the position he's playing at for Atl. Madrid. Mostly next to Torres, with Carrasco, Tiago (Niguez), Gabi and Koke supporting them. If you pay 100M for him, then use him as a striker, next to Rashford or someone like Aubameyang, and not as a playmaker/Number 10 etc.

GM K

This looks like a very likely deal but at the same time Mourinho hasn't used this type of striker very often in his teams.
You are right mate. The closest to Griezmann Jose has worked with are Milito and Benzema in terms of their off ball movements, finishing, football intelligence, versatility as forwards (especially Benzema) and size (Milito and Benzema are slightly taller).

Status
Not open for further replies.