Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LR7

We will never know if he'd have made a different decision had the transfer ban been lifted, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that he simply used us for a new contract. Isn't the first player to do so, and won't be the last.

Cloud7

Football is tribal. Admiring qualities like loyalty go out the window for me when it comes to United. Yes I know its bitter :D

I hope he never wins anything in his career again, and I hope when Simeone leaves there's no big club interested in him, and he spends the rest of his career being smashed by real and barca when simeone leaves.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
My 2 cents on Griezmann transfer.

It's simple, we were played.. again. I hope people are not gullible enough to believe Griezmann is staying out of loyalty, career of a footballer is really short and most of them are extremely ambitious. Griezmann wasn't loyal to Socediad 3 years back was he? With greatest of respect to Atletico there is a ceiling to what you can achieve and earn there, he'll jump the ship if a bigger club comes in for him either this summer or next summer once Simeone leaves.

The reasons still don't sit right with me, the common thing most people are forgetting is that Atletico were already banned from signing players this window, they were seeking an appeal to get their ban overturned. If his move was contingent was entirely on CAS decision, why wasn't this brought to light? It also completely contradicts as to what Griezmann said few months back, he said he wanted to win titles and Atletico need to improve their squad to be competitive. How is that going to happen if they cannot sign players for another 7 months?

My best guess is the sticking point is against the finances, either Atletico want the payment to be structured in such a fashion which we cannot agree to or Griezmann wage demands are too big even for us to meet or simply he used us to get a better contract.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

It's simple, we were played.. again. I hope people are not gullible enough to believe Griezmann is staying out of loyalty, career of a footballer is really short and most of them are extremely ambitious. Griezmann wasn't loyal to Socediad 3 years back was he? With greatest of respect to Atletico there is a ceiling to what you can achieve and earn there, he'll jump the ship if a bigger club comes in for him either this summer or next summer once Simeone leaves.

The reasons still don't sit right with me, the common thing most people are forgetting is that Atletico were already banned from signing players this window, they were seeking an appeal to get their ban overturned. If his move was contingent was entirely on CAS decision, why wasn't this brought to light? It also completely contradicts as to what Griezmann said few months back, he said he wanted to win titles and Atletico need to improve their squad to be competitive. How is that going to happen if they cannot sign players for another 7 months?

My best guess is the sticking point is against the finances, either Atletico want the payment to be structured in such a fashion which we cannot agree to or Griezmann wage demands are too big even for us to meet or simply he used us to get a better contract.
They have every right to demand the release clause is paid upfront, any other structure doesn't trigger a release.

Sylar

We wont fully know, its all guess work and assumptions until all sides come out with their version of the truth (and it will probably be somewhere in the middle unless all say the same thing)

I do think everybody expected the ban to be lifted hence rumours of Atleti looking at Lacazette, AG interviews about United, Jose words after Europa League final.

If hes signing an extension, it might just mean a pay rise as loyalty but if it pushes his buyout clause to a much higher figure, then yeah, this is dead and cant see it ever happening. If it doesnt, and he has some sort of agreement with United and Atleti that he gives them a year extra whilst the ban is in place, then we can go for him (kinda like how we hear Ronaldo gave United an extra year), its possible.

We did go for Hargreaves and Herrera a summer after we were initially meant to buy them. This might be the same. Saying that a lot can change in a year.

An Irish Red

I just can't see how a ban until January would change things that significantly; especially when he already knew it was likely.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if we agreed to pay the clause in full and really upped the wage offer and got him.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
This whole situation is sort of like the storyline of Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton and Louis Jordan in The V.I.P.s.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
So he's signed a new contrqct with a massive pay rise....how many times have we been used when it comes to contract renewals!

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
I just can't see how a ban until January would change things that significantly; especially when he already knew it was likely.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if we agreed to pay the clause in full and really upped the wage offer and got him.
I agree. It's not as if we have gone into negotiations without looking at the potential effects of the transfer ban.

Also, it still puzzles me why Griezmann would say about possibilities of moving, winning titles etc. if there was a chance the transfer ban would be upheld, which would result in him wanting to stay. Surely it's better to keep quiet and wait and see what happens with the transfer ban before saying anything.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Personally, i hate when players are bullshiting about loyalty, love and stuff like that. Those things can believe only kids.
If he( and this goes for any player) is loyal why is he signing new contract? Why didn't he say months ago ; " i am staying here whole my life for average wage"?
I love united, i love some players but as much i love them i always know that football is their job where they want to earn money and glory. And if they have better option they will leave. And it is ok for me. If they play with heart for club and good (of course), i don't mind if they flirt with other clubs to get new contract from club or even leaving.

So for griezmann, he is not staying because of loyalty or love for atletico. He is staying either because he thinks that is in his best interest( money, waiting for real or barca transfer or something like that) or he is unambitious person who is settled with the fact that he is god in smaller place and scared to go in a harder challenge.

This is not a rant or angry post because of disappointment because he will not come. We will buy some other top class player. I am just pissed with all those excuses and phrases( from him and some fans).

P.s. if you come all is forgiven antoine:)

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
That article from the independent seems reasonable as to the events that happened. It appears Jose and Antoine were pretty understanding and Jose might go for him next year. Just hope Athletico don't make him sign a new contract.
I'd be hugely surprised if he doesn't sign a new contract with a nice wage increase for the year as a 'thankyou' from Atletico for staying. However the buyout clause will stay the same, or possibly even be reduced as another 'thankyou' to make it easier for him to get the move next season.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool

It's simple, we were played.. again. I hope people are not gullible enough to believe Griezmann is staying out of loyalty, career of a footballer is really short and most of them are extremely ambitious. Griezmann wasn't loyal to Socediad 3 years back was he? With greatest of respect to Atletico...
Not much respect there, really. They've been a hair's breadth from winning two of the last three CLs plus another semi. They're not a traditionally huge club but they've had more about them than any English team in the past four years or so.

ravi2

We will never know if he'd have made a different decision had the transfer ban been lifted, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that he simply used us for a new contract. Isn't the first player to do so, and won't be the last.
I'm getting the vibe we were played as well.
Why all this '6 out of 10' nonsense? What player ever talks about the transfer in that manner before it happens? He had an ulterior motive and used us to get a better contract from Atletico.

macheda14

We don't know if the release clause has been raised right? He may have said 'look I'm leaving, but give me a reason to stay one more year'. New contract higher wages for a season and he leaves next. They don't lose the basis of their forward line while unable to recruit. We sign a big name this season then sign him the next season and win the CL. Easy. Totally plausible.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Why all this '6 out of 10' nonsense? What player ever talks about the transfer in that manner before it happens? He had an ulterior motive and used us to get a better contract from Atletico.
I strongly doubt it. If he was only after a better contract he wouldn't make that U-turn straight after the transfer ban. He'd keep it dragging further.

izec

There were whispers in Spanish and French media for months he wanted a new contract/Atletico will offer him a new one. A few sensible posters said it days ago, but nobody wanted to listen.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I don't believe Woodward and an experienced manager like Mourinho would allow themselves to be played like that. Do people on here think the ceo and manager at Man Utd are fools?

ravi2

I strongly doubt it. If he was only after a better contract he wouldn't make that U-turn straight after the transfer ban. He'd keep it dragging further.
Maybe they offered him what he thought he was worth.

manunited1919

It's Atletico who got played to increase his salary 3 months into a new contract. Most of the noises about AG to MUFC came from Antonio himself. This was all orchestrated to up his salary.

ravi2

It's Atletico who got played to increase his salary 3 months into a new contract. Most of the noises about AG to MUFC came from Antonio himself. This was all orchestrated to up his salary.
Who knew Griezmann was so crafty? I figured with him and Pogbas friendship everything was on the up and up

Dorian Gray

Supports
Liverpool
It feels weird to be consoling United fans, but you guys really didn't need him. Whatever be the actual reasons of this not happening, but the incremental benefit of signing Mbappe/Lukaku/Kane/Lacazette is much higher.

izec

I don't believe Woodward and an experienced manager like Mourinho would allow themselves to be played like that. Do people on here think the ceo and manager at Man Utd are fools?
David Moyes was manager here and was a massive fool. Ed still had to learn a thing or two, specifically in Spain and Italy he seems to get played quite a bit

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Him signing a new contract means absolutely nothing if his intention is to stay for the one year because of the ban and then move on. Obviously it stops any faint hopes that it might go through now despite the recent talk, but it changes nothing going forward. Unless the buyout clause was increased. If it was increased then we got 'played', but if it has stayed around the same figure it means nothing.

Barnslig

He can feck off, if he doesnt want to be at United, we shouldn't want him here either, dont want another Di Maria situation

RepardReece

It feels weird to be consoling United fans, but you guys really didn't need him. Whatever be the actual reasons of this not happening, but the incremental benefit of signing Mbappe/Lukaku/Kane/Lacazette is much higher.
Is it heck, Griezmann adds benefits all around the pitch, not just attacking wise like the players you have mentioned there. He brings a lot more to the game than the players you have mentioned, who basically just bag goals. Not to mention the guy was 3rd for best player in the world (Ballon D'or).

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
David Moyes was manager here and was a massive fool. Ed still had to learn a thing or two, specifically in Spain and Italy he seems to get played quite a bit
Moyes was possibly a fool but what's that to do with Mourinho and Woodward? And who in Spain and Italy has played Woody as i can't seem to rembember.

bucky

I think they definitely planned for a worst case scenario, where he would do something like it is being reported and they are now looking at alternatives. Or you just don't believe all that nonsense and we are still signing him.

Dorian Gray

Supports
Liverpool
Is it heck, Griezmann adds benefits all around the pitch, not just attacking wise like the players you have mentioned there. He brings a lot more to the game than the players you have mentioned, who basically just bag goals. Not to mention the guy was 3rd for best player in the world (Ballon D'or).
By benefits around the pitch, you mean chances created and other offensive attributes, right? You already have that sorted out. You need finishers.

izec

We are now getting played by Inter with Perisic. Woody got also played by Fabregas and Ramos and now possibly Griezmann

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Him signing a new contract means absolutely nothing if his intention is to stay for the one year because of the ban and then move on. Obviously it stops any faint hopes that it might go through now despite the recent talk, but it changes nothing going forward. Unless the buyout clause was increased. If it was increased then we got 'played', but if it has stayed around the same figure it means nothing.
If his buyout clause is increased then we should stay well away.

SammyUnited_83

Oh come on.

Are you saying Jose / Roman / Chelsea got all the players they wanted and were never played?

Cough, cough, Rooney.

We obviously thought / we were told we could get him, we seem to have a fascination of getting these big names and on this occasion got burnt - it happens, at least we tried, the next one might come off.

Griez played us plain and simple, I'm sure we had our doubts after he moaned about weather etc.

ilovethisgameahahah

I hope his ankle meets the bottom of Baillys boot in the CL :devil:. We should be signing players like him from their original club, not once they have moved to a big club and established themselves as stars, we end up running into dead ends more often than not.

If Atleti wanted Lacazette we should go for him, they always replace their strikers very well.

Last edited:

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I think they definitely planned for a worst case scenario, where he would do something like it is being reported and they are now looking at alternatives. Or you just don't believe all that nonsense and we are still signing him.
No I think they definitely have other alernatives as that is normal to have.

To think two intelligent individuals like Ed and Jose was completely outsmarted by Griezmann and his entourage is silly.

Sparky Rhiwabon

They have every right to demand the release clause is paid upfront, any other structure doesn't trigger a release.
You're right, but I doubt we'd have been able to pay it all upfront, not with all the other players we need this summer as well. Unlike City, we do have to manage cash flow.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Oh come on.

Are you saying Jose / Roman / Chelsea got all the players they wanted and were never played?

Cough, cough, Rooney.

We obviously thought / we were told we could get him, we seem to have a fascination of getting these big names and on this occasion got burnt - it happens, at least we tried, the next one might come off.

Griez played us plain and simple, I'm sure we had our doubts after he moaned about weather etc.
No one gets all the players they want but it's easy to say "we got played" every time a transfer doesn't pan out as expected.
When you want to strenghten a position you usually have two or three alternatives in case things don't go well.

Status
Not open for further replies.