Antoine Griezmann

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

I hope so. We could very well use his pace.
Agree. I think whoever we get to go with Moyes' RVP, Rooney and Mata blueprint needs to have good pace so Moura has to be an option. At the same time I've seen almost nothing whatsoever of him at PSG. Speed without a product wouldnt be too helpful. We have Valencia for that

Pippa

To be fair, I didn't click on the actual link, just saw the tweet which said "aurait déjà donné son accord pour rejoindre le PSG cet été," which is more saying that he's already given his word that he will. Also my french may be a tiny bit rusty, been almost 2 years since I spoke it!
Oh right, the headline. That's the conditional tense, so it "refers to a distinct verb form that expresses a hypothetical state of affairs, or an uncertain event, that is contingent on another set of circumstances" (Link). So when someone tries to do the literal translation on Google Translate, you get:

"Antoine Griezmann has already agreed to join PSG this summer"

But the real translation into English would be:

"Antoine Griezmann might have agreed to the terms to join PSG this summer"

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Oh right, the headline. That's the conditional tense, so it "refers to a distinct verb form that expresses a hypothetical state of affairs, or an uncertain event, that is contingent on another set of circumstances" (Link). So when someone tries to do the literal translation on Google Translate, you get:

"Antoine Griezmann has already agreed to join PSG this summer"

But the real translation into English would be:

"Antoine Griezmann might have agreed to the terms to join PSG this summer"
Yeah, my verbs are a bit rusty definitely... Thought it was normal futur conjugation, but that's just aura.

Infra-red

Reus and Draxler would be perfect, Firmino different from them from what I've seen. He's mainly a central player, albeit one more like Cazorla then Kagawa or Mata. We need genuine pace and quality out wide, somebody who also offers a goalscoring threat. Somebody like Nani (2010-2012), Di Maria, Reus or Draxler would be perfect. Januzaj to get the other wing. If this is true though, then maybe we could do a cheeky bid for Lucas as they'll have a few people in front of him.
I agree Firmino has played centrally this year, but he was predominately fielded out wide last season (usually on the right), with Volland generally taking up a central role, so he is quite versatile. He works hard off the ball (averaging 2.7 tackles per game this season - more than any player in our squad except Fellaini), and along with his finishing, his most noticeable attribute his his dribbling ability, so I think he's pretty well-suited to cutting in from out wide. I would hope the club might be looking at him anyway, but certainly if Kagawa was to leave he should be on our list of potential replacements.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Pace and goals from out wide would complete the attack. I don't even think they need to be too involved with the build up play, more end product.

Basically, we need Theo Walcott.

Kag

Pace and goals from out wide would complete the attack. I don't even think they need to be too involved with the build up play, more end product.

Basically, we need Theo Walcott.
Ay, I called that the other day in the Kagawa/Mata thread. He'd be perfect out on the right if we were to play with Mata, Kagawa and Rooney every week. Pace and goals guaranteed.

Pippa

He's never spoken with anyone at PSG. According to his tweet he just read about the speculation.

Snipers Breath

Saw him against Valencia a week or so ago, he was poor. Also saw the game previous to that against Rayo where he came off the bench and didnt have an impact. Havent seen their game this week but he's supposed to have been better.

PSG huh? Would he even get in the team? Cavani and Lavezzi are their wide forwards with Lucas Moura the backup
He was very average again actually, Vela looked more threatening.

Ekeke

Ay, I called that the other day in the Kagawa/Mata thread. He'd be perfect out on the right if we were to play with Mata, Kagawa and Rooney every week. Pace and goals guaranteed.
Yes. But probably a lack of involvement too. Not sure we'd be that well off when he goes missing for large spells before popping up with a chance

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's his first quality season so I'm not surprised that he hasn't been able to keep up his great performances. He's done well overall and will probably go to the world cup.

Ekeke

I think he was good last season too, but I know what you mean. He wasnt pumping out the goals at the same rate as this season so its clearly a step or two up.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Hoping we'll get him, the kind of winger we need, young, great technique... will be a big star, more available than any other winger out there too.

BW.k

Grieznmann actually had a brilliant curling FK which hit the post against us at OT which I think went unnoticed.

He's not really an exciting and skillful winger which some are making him out to be. He's more like a wide forward who has natural instinct for a goal and a good passing ability He'll be having an anonymous game but will pop up with a couple of goals. He's fast(not blazing fast) and a good dribbler but not like your muppet's winger who'll make you excite. He has improved drastically this season and is still young so he can be a great addition to the squad. Especially with Europe unlikely next season he's our most gettable wideman. Just hope he doesn't feck off to PSG.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Grieznmann actually had a brilliant curling FK which hit the post against us at OT which I think went unnoticed.

He's not really an exciting and skillful winger which some are making him out to be. He's more like a wide forward who has natural instinct for a goal and a good passing ability He'll be having an anonymous game but will pop up with a couple of goals. He's fast(not blazing fast) and a good dribbler but not like your muppet's winger who'll make you excite. He has improved drastically this season and is still young so he can be a great addition to the squad. Especially with Europe unlikely next season he's our most gettable wideman. Just hope he doesn't feck off to PSG.
From what I've seen for him I think he's the kind of winger we need, smart on the ball, good finisher, good passer, the end product he has is very good compared to the wingers we have, if we had him on the left or right, and in another transfer window decided to persue a player of Reus ability if he were to become available it'd be an interesting challenge for opposition with two different kinds of players switching wings.

BW.k

From what I've seen for him I think he's the kind of winger we need, smart on the ball, good finisher, good passer, the end product he has is very good compared to the wingers we have, if we had him on the left or right, and in another transfer window decided to persue a player of Reus ability if he were to become available it'd be an interesting challenge for opposition with two different kinds of players switching wings.
Yeah he'll definitely be a great signing keeping in mind we won't have much to offer next season. Its great having a winger who can score goals and get in behind defenses to put a quality ball and beat his man. If we can't attract top wingers like Di Maria and Reus then we should go all out to get him. He's improving a lot at Sociedad and will be on my wishlist this summer.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Yeah he'll definitely be a great signing keeping in mind we won't have much to offer next season. Its great having a winger who can score goals and get in behind defenses to put a quality ball and beat his man. If we can't attract top wingers like Di Maria and Reus then we should go all out to get him. He's improving a lot at Sociedad and will be on my wishlist this summer.
I personally think Griezmann can hit Di Marias level, Di Maria is 3 years older, and Reus yes is a better player but it's harder to get him, if we build sufficiently before 2015 then it might be a interesting prospect for him, but I think Dortmund players have a lot of respect for Klopp too.

Ekeke

He's absolutely nothing like Di Maria or Reus though. They like to dribble and run at people, he doesn't. His running is done off the ball into dangerous spaces.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
He's absolutely nothing like Di Maria or Reus though. They like to dribble and run at people, he doesn't. His running is done off the ball into dangerous spaces.
Yes which is what we need, I mean his end product is of the same quality, its nice to have two different profiles of wingers that offer something different but can score.

BW.k

I personally think Griezmann can hit Di Marias level, Di Maria is 3 years older, and Reus yes is a better player but it's harder to get him, if we build sufficiently before 2015 then it might be a interesting prospect for him, but I think Dortmund players have a lot of respect for Klopp too.
Yes certainly can reach that level. He's improving and has come a hell lot further since last season. Certainly will be delighted by his signing.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Like Syria?

Sorry man, couldnt help myself :D

He seems like a good player alright & as has been proven time & time again, these type of lower-profile players can blossom into great talents...

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Looking like Arsenal are going to do their best to get him. Would love him at United though.

Looking forward to seeing him if he plays at the World Cup.

Ekeke

Would be interesting for Arsenal, would certainly brings goals from wide and lessen the load on their striker. However they can get Vela back to do the same job for a couple of million.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Could really suit us and as said, would add goals from that wide area which we just don't have. If he was Dutch he would be linked with us.

Bwuk

Good player and achievable for less than £20m.

His movement combined with the ability to pick a pass from Mata/Kagawa/Januzaj, would be brilliant.

Manucho the boss

Is this a wind-up? Walcott is the perfect player to complete our attack?

From what I've seen of him Arsenal moved him up front as he didn't have the intelligence or craft to create from wide on the right.

Even up front his best work comes late on in games when Arsenal are winning and the opposition are stretched, that's when he can use his ridiculous pace and good finishing. There's a big difference between pace and the ability to dribble.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I think the negotiation will be 'we write off Vela buy-back you give us a discount on Griezmann'.
Mr Arsenal CEO 'Hello Mr Sociedad CEO, we want a discount on Griezman otherwise we will activate the Vela buy back clause'

Mr Sociedad CEO 'OK then you buy Vela back'

Mr Arsenal CEO 'Doh'

Kag

From what I've seen of him Arsenal moved him up front as he didn't have the intelligence or craft to create from wide on the right.

Even up front his best work comes late on in games when Arsenal are winning and the opposition are stretched, that's when he can use his ridiculous pace and good finishing. There's a big difference between pace and the ability to dribble.
Well things have changed quite drastically since then, haven't they? We have no idea what Van Gaal has planned for the team. I posted that around the time that Mata and Kagawa were striking up a good partnership, Moyes had seemingly identified that, and had he stayed at the club, it was looking likely that Rooney would be the focal point of the attack, and that Van Persie would have probably moved on.

If you were go to with the Rooney, Mata and Kagawa combination, with Kagawa drifting towards the centre, you need a right sided forward to ensure you've got some width, forward movement and most importantly, pace and goals.

Ideally, you would boast a player like Bale, or even Ronaldo, but that isn't realistic. Walcott is one of those players that rival supporters love to hate. He's been much-maligned since the age of 16 through no fault of his own, yet now possesses productivity that is irrefutable. He scores goals, he creates, and is a good outlet for creative players. Is he perfect? Of course not. But he is a good player, and he'd certainly do well in a team that had a player like Mata pulling the strings from the centre.

The best football teams need balance. Players like Walcott can give that. Now, I'm not suggesting buying him, not least because I predict that Van Gaal's wide players will need that bit more individual ability to create given the way he likes his wide men to play. But if you're setting up a team the way it looked like Moyes was attempting to do, Walcott wouldn't be a bad option at all.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal

Walcott is effective out right. He's shit up front.

Manucho the boss

Wenger plays Walcott out wide, he let him play a few matches up front when he was angling for a new contract, and as soon as it was signed, back out wide.
He's said himself he's always seen Walcott as a striker. Learning in a similar way to how he used Thierry Henry. They badly missed him up front this season when injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.