Antoine Griezmann

Sparky Rhiwabon

Triple his salary? Yea, feck off. Not happening. He already earns quite a ton doesn’t he?
Yes, and in any case, Saudis will offer double what we would offer

I think the days of our signature move of getting “over the hill stars” is over as Saudi's will hoover them up on bigger deals - your Falcao's, Ronaldos and Cavanis.

wr8_utd

:'(
No, we get that he is amazing right now but whats the guarantee of him continuing that form? It would be a short term signing and given the wages he will get, I can't be so sure of signing another potential Casemiro.

Use that money to buy for the longer term. These kinds of signinings are made when you have a well oiled machine. Not when you're in your 11th rebuild.
Is there ever a guarantee of any player continuing their form at a previous club? Casemiro was a signing we made where he'd actually had a fairly average overall season despite him having a great end to the CL campaign. Atleti aren't an amazingly well oiled machine and he's had a huge impact for them this last season. I get that age is an issue but he's not exactly a player reliant on his pace. He's intelligent and probably as close to a Messi kind of creator plus scorer over the last year. If the reported release clause is true, don't think it would be a high risk signing at all.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Is there ever a guarantee of any player continuing their form at a previous club? Casemiro was a signing we made where he'd actually had a fairly average overall season despite him having a great end to the CL campaign. Atleti aren't an amazingly well oiled machine and he's had a huge impact for them this last season. I get that age is an issue but he's not exactly a player reliant on his pace. He's intelligent and probably as close to a Messi kind of creator plus scorer over the last year. If the reported release clause is true, don't think it would be a high risk signing at all.
We have taken this route a million times and no, I will be highly against this signing.

Obviously there's no guarantee with a signing but with this profile of a player you expect instant success. He doesn't have enough time to get used to the pace of the league or life in England. With the well oiled machine argument, I meant that clubs can make these types of signings to elevate their level. They don't sign make these types of signings during a rebuild. It has nothing to do with what Atleti are at the moment.

And "its just 25m" is another bad argument. We could have used a lot of money we wasted on Mount and Onana towards signing a proven player in Kane. We need to invest smartly into players that are going to be here for atleast 5-6 years. We dont need another Zlatan, Cavani or a Ronaldo.

parmenio

surely this isn’t true. Turned us down so many times in the past. One last mega pay day. We’ve never trodden this path before have we ?

Superunknown

In 2023, no thank you.

Very talented player, but this would work for maybe a few months. I don't think spending lots of money of another older, expensive player is the way to go. He's going to be on the way down very soon. We need players on the way up.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
He has been fantastic in the last few months for Atletico and France, but he makes no sense for us. The transfer to Barca already showed that it's pointless to sign him if you don't have the right role or plan for him. Putting him into our side would be exactly the same right now. Simeone has Atletico and him driving right now after he changed the system to 3-5-2 after the World Cup and they actually playing good football now, For us he makes no sense, at best he could play in Bruno's role.
Changing our system and squad around for a 32-year-old makes no sense either. So hopefully this is not true, at some point we need to learn from our mistakes, otherwise it will be just the same shit again and again.

Rojofiam

We're definitely not tripling his salary, that would make him the highest paid PL player by far (230k) ahead of KDB and Haaland. :lol:

Don't think we're interested to be honest and doubt Griezmann wants to leave Atletico either.

Mr Smith

Amazing how many people clearly haven't been watching him and dismissing this out of hand; he's literally one of the top five players in the world right now.

However I'm sceptical that we're actually interested.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I think the days of our signature move of getting “over the hill stars” is over as Saudi's will hoover them up on bigger deals - your Falcao's, Ronaldos and Cavanis.
Awesome, thank you KSA.

It's pretty sad the only treble we have a shot at these days is the one for salary multipliers.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Lads he's nearly 33. His career is in its twilight.
Time to leave this kind of signing in the Woodward era

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Magic player, and I think he would be incredible in the prem, but wrong profile for us I think. If it was a short term contract, say 2 years, and if that release clause is in fact 20m or so, then maybe.
Yeh. I don't mind getting a short term-ish quality older players, as long as we're getting them as squad players.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yes, and in any case, Saudis will offer double what we would offer

Yeah and I am hoping they're over as we build a team for the future, with younger and hungrier players. If Martial leaves, I guess we could do with an experienced striker.

Ludens the Red

Lads he's nearly 33. His career is in its twilight.
Time to leave this kind of signing in the Woodward era
It’s funny because whilst there is sort of a logical merit to this general way of thinking, the alternative process for us has arguably produced worse results.
Signing young players for big fees has been a complete and utter disaster for us. Sancho, Antony, Van de Beek. We won’t see even half our spend on those players back.
And if you look a little older, big signings like Lukaku, Pogba and Maguire whilst not completely awful just didn’t/don’t have the mentality needed to play for United.

Whilst at least players like Casemiro, Cavani, Zlatan and Ronaldo did actually give us one very good season each and all had that elite mentality, their legs just gave way.

Even this season and I am by no means writing off these players. Onana, Mount and Hojlund have had very little impact where as again the ‘older’ signings did.

Like everything else with United it is not black and white.

Reactions: Fortitude

BeltUp

Supports
United
I don't care so much about the price or age, I just can't stand his personality so it's a no from me.

slyadams

Amazing how many people clearly haven't been watching him and dismissing this out of hand; he's literally one of the top five players in the world right now.

However I'm sceptical that we're actually interested.
He could be the best player in the world right now and it would still be a silly signing. He's 32 and would no doubt be given a 3-4 year contract on huge money and you never know how any player will change as they age. Some have a slow/gradual decline and keep adding value (e.g. Ronaldo, Messi) and some drop off a clff.

Scriblerus

He would have been a good idea five years ago. But we need to stop acting as a home for fading stars who end up as deadweight on high wages.

Rossa

He could be the best player in the world right now and it would still be a silly signing. He's 32 and would no doubt be given a 3-4 year contract on huge money and you never know how any player will change as they age. Some have a slow/gradual decline and keep adding value (e.g. Ronaldo, Messi) and some drop off a clff.
So a bit like any player at any age?

Lukaku looked to have the world at his feet. Failed.

Rooney burnt early. Fabregas burnt early. Nani faded in his physical prime. Anderson looked promising as a young player. Faded, or grew, badly.

Ibra faded due to a serious injury more than age.

There’s no guarantee with any player. Looking at ballon d’or and watching the game, most players peak at around 30 or slightly above. For most, the decline is not like a cliff. At 35, you can still be brilliant, but you need more rest.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
If we are looking for an AM then we should sign someone like Xavi Simons not Antoine Griezmann. I have been scarred way too many times signing these high profile players in their 30’s on big wages.
Impossible to get. Why the hell would they sell?

antk

Seriously?
We've been here before:
Falcao, Sanchez, Di Maria etc.
Fading "stars"
Di Maria was 26 when he joined and wasn't fading at all. Griezmann isn't currently fading either for what it's worth.

lex talionis

Antoine would be our best player by several light years. If we were one player away from silverware I’d be all in on this, but we’re in rebuilding mode the next two seasons — thanks to the clowns who have been running this club — and I don’t see how we can rebuild around him.

kaku06

Impossible to get. Why the hell would they sell?
Who? PSG? Why it’s impossible? I don’t think they rate him that highly. When they rate a player they prefer to keep it in their team no matter how young he is. See Zaire Emery for example.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Antoine would be our best player by several light years. If we were one player away from silverware I’d be all in on this, but we’re in rebuilding mode the next two seasons — thanks to the clowns who have been running this club — and I don’t see how we can rebuild around him.
[Insert name of almost player we've purchased] would be our best player by several light years.

And then we watch his promise instantly disappear

led_scholes

It’s funny because whilst there is sort of a logical merit to this general way of thinking, the alternative process for us has arguably produced worse results.
Signing young players for big fees has been a complete and utter disaster for us. Sancho, Antony, Van de Beek. We won’t see even half our spend on those players back.
And if you look a little older, big signings like Lukaku, Pogba and Maguire whilst not completely awful just didn’t/don’t have the mentality needed to play for United.

Whilst at least players like Casemiro, Cavani, Zlatan and Ronaldo did actually give us one very good season each and all had that elite mentality, their legs just gave way.

Even this season and I am by no means writing off these players. Onana, Mount and Hojlund have had very little impact where as again the ‘older’ signings did.

Like everything else with United it is not black and white.
But it is really only for a season which is a bit odd. Not even a day more. Blanc was fine too in his first season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'd be perfecrtly okay with a 2/3 year deal. His game isn't about pace/physicality. He's a brilliant footballer that also works very hard.
It's like you've not learnt a thing from our last decade of mad deals.

antk

It's like you've not learnt a thing from our last decade of mad deals.
(Not that this deal has any chance of happening but) are you saying that Man Utd shouldn't ever go for big names? Because I don't think Griezmann's current profile really matches any of those previous deals otherwise.

Big Andy

Bloke
I'd be perfecrtly okay with a 2/3 year deal. His game isn't about pace/physicality. He's a brilliant footballer that also works very hard.
I disagree, we'll do what we always do with the likes of Zlatan, Cavani, Ronaldo, Schweinsteiger and the older players of that profile. We'll offer him ridiculous money (tripling his wage is fecking bonkers as he can't be on shit money now), then we're stuck with them while they rapidly decline, throw their toys out the pram or spend months out injured. We should be looking at players in the 21-26 year old bracket, and build a team instead of going for over the hill players looking for a final pay day.