Antonio Valencia | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma_87

You know who
Actually, here's the post that started you off on your nonsensical ramblings.

23 when we signed him, plus another 5 or 6 years, will make him 28-29 years old. Not 30. Your grasp of maths is as poor as your understanding of what age most footballers peak at.

At a push, you could argue that some footballers decline from about 29 years onwards (although with modern training techniques that only happens with players who have been wrecked by injury) but that still gives us another 6 years before he would even start to decline and he won't peak until half way through that period, at the very earliest.

I defy you to name one footballer, any footballer, who declined dramatically at the age of 29, other than in the context of a serious injury. In your own time....
those players are prone to injuries. There are little to no examples of players like Owen, Dyer, Ronaldo(fat one), Saha, etc avoiding injuries. I'm sure you know why.

Every player who relies almost entirely on his pace(or is the major part in his game) peak early. Eto'o, Owen, Ronaldo, Lennon, Dyer, Anelka, Saviola, Sharpe, Giggs, Overmars broke early and made their name in world football. There are no exceptions of top tier players who relying on their pace(mostly) didn't peak at very tender age. Name me one player who turned out to be a class one, who had the same end product as Valencia at the age of 24(just turning 24). Just one.

Pogue Mahone said:
23 when we signed him. Another 5 or 6 years - at least
:rolleyes:

fecking hell.

VALENCIA NEEDS TIME TO SETTLE AT HIS NEW CLUB BEFORE BEING WRITTEN OFF, AS YOU HAVE DONE IN THIS THREAD.

THIS HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH NANI OR TOSIC.

Now read that again. Carefully.
OK, so how exactly have I written him off? Have I said that we should sell him? Have I not said that he'd be an useful player in the future(regardless of thinking that he won't be a starter)?

Do you see him as starter at the age of 27-28? Do you think he'll be a first teamer for us? If you do thing so - it's fair point, everyone has his own opinion(like an asshole, everyone has it).

It's not like I've started a sell Valencia sack Fergie campaign now have I?

Transfer United Till I Die

I am totally in the know, honest
I must admit I do wonder how we are top top top of the league when all of our players bar giggs, scholes, Rooney, evra, vidic and Ferdinand are shit. It's mental winning seven games in a row with effectively six men.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ever though why is that? Add Robben into that category, fat Ronaldo, etc. Those players are more prone to injuries. It's pretty natural you probably have an idea why is that I suppose?

He'll turn better no doubt, and he will develop, but you sound like sky is the limit for him. Handful of games with United? Yes, but how about over 80 matches for Wigan? What was his end product last season?

I can see where you guys come from, but shouldn't negatives be posted as well? After all we are here for a discussion. I don't think Ferguson is reading right now and taking notes of these opinions. He knows best and he bought him for a reason.

After all wasn't Berbatov crucified for a handful of games, even tho he had less playing time in Prem than Valencia?

I'd like to be completely wrong about the lad and that this thread come back to haunt me and becomes BPITW. I wont boo him or cheer against him while in United shirt, but can't see what's wrong with stating what I see in his first 10 or so matches.
There's nothing wrong with stating what you've seen in his first 10 or so matches but you should probably wait until after he's played 10 or so matches. So far hes started 4 league games and one in Europe.

Having said that, all that any of us can do about any new player is judge him on his performances to date. Valencia hasn't been hugely impressive in a United shirt but there are encouraging signs.

The reason you're getting stick in this thread is because you claimed he'd already peaked and because you clearly implied that he's unlikely to get any better over the course of his United career. This is, obviously, absurd,

those players are prone to injuries. There are little to no examples of players like Owen, Dyer, Ronaldo(fat one), Saha, etc avoiding injuries. I'm sure you know why.

Every player who relies almost entirely on his pace(or is the major part in his game) peak early. Eto'o, Owen, Ronaldo, Lennon, Dyer, Anelka, Saviola, Sharpe, Giggs, Overmars broke early and made their name in world football. There are no exceptions of top tier players who relying on their pace(mostly) didn't peak at very tender age. Name me one player who turned out to be a class one, who had the same end product as Valencia at the age of 24(just turning 24). Just one.

Thierry henry. Night night.

BaldwinLegend

Name me one player who turned out to be a class one, who had the same end product as Valencia at the age of 24(just turning 24). Just one.

Name me one player who grew up in poverty in Ecuador who turned out to be better at 24 than Valencia is. Just one. It could just be that with the route he's taken to get to United, he'll need a little more time than you think is necessary to achieve his potential.

You're making a bunch of crass generalisations that would be embarrassing even in a Football Manager thread.

Valencia has only just made it to a top tier club - wouldn't it be far more sensible to withhold judgment until he has had the chance to have the benefit of working with our coaching team?

If you have no hope of him making considerable improvement, why do you think United spend millions on a coaching and training set up designed to do just that - dramatically improve players. And that's the same set up that converted Ronaldo into the best player in the world after his infuriating, Nani-esque earlier self, and is conjuring magic out of Giggs and Scholes at this point in their careers. Surely it's worth holding back a little and having a little faith - clearly they know what they're doing...

Pogue Mahone

OK, so how exactly have I written him off? Have I said that we should sell him? Have I not said that he'd be an useful player in the future(regardless of thinking that he won't be a starter)?

Do you see him as starter at the age of 27-28? Do you think he'll be a first teamer for us? If you do thing so - it's fair point, everyone has his own opinion(like an asshole, everyone has it).

It's not like I've started a sell Valencia sack Fergie campaign now have I?
Oh I give up. You're just being stupid and I'll end up saying something nasty. I'm trying not to do that anymore.

The answer to the question in bold is "yes, probably, but he will definitely be a better player than he is now".

Goodnight.

Enigma_87

You know who
There's nothing wrong with stating what you've seen in his first 10 or so matches but you should probably wait until after he's played 10 or so matches. So far hes started 4 league games and one in Europe.

Having said that, all that any of us can do about any new player is judge him on his performances to date. Valencia hasn't been hugely impressive in a United shirt but there are encouraging signs.

The reason you're getting stick in this thread is because you claimed he'd already peaked and because you clearly implied that he's unlikely to get any better over the course of his United career. This is, obviously, absurd,
OK, so I guess I haven't made myself perfectly clear.

I've said that he should be getting/peaking at the age of 23-25. (and to answer directly to the poster above, look what has Henry done at 23 and then come back.). He'll get better no doubt. I can't imagine moving to United would hamper his career, on the contrary. From what've seen I always had my reservations with what has he done last season and prior to that to earn his move to United.

I know that he'll improve and will be a better player, but I doubt the limits he can reach. That's all.

I never implied that this is his peak level. Once again, at this age, every player with blistering pace should've made or be making his mark. That's all.

Mainoldo

Name me one player who grew up in poverty in Ecuador who turned out to be better at 24 than Valencia is. Just one. It could just be that with the route he's taken to get to United, he'll need a little more time than you think is necessary to achieve his potential.

You're making a bunch of crass generalisations that would be embarrassing even in a Football Manager thread.

Valencia has only just made it to a top tier club - wouldn't it be far more sensible to withhold judgment until he has had the chance to have the benefit of working with our coaching team?

If you have no hope of him making considerable improvement, why do you think United spend millions on a coaching and training set up designed to do just that - dramatically improve players. And that's the same set up that converted Ronaldo into the best player in the world after his infuriating, Nani-esque earlier self, and is conjuring magic out of Giggs and Scholes at this point in their careers. Surely it's worth holding back a little and having a little faith - clearly they know what they're doing...
Can we please stop understating Ronaldo's achievements... yes we schooled him reall well but it wasn't rocket science to know the boy was always going to be there with the elite!!

Enigma_87

You know who
Oh I give up. You're just being stupid and I'll end up saying something nasty. I'm trying not to do that anymore.

The answer to the question in bold is "yes, probably, but he will definitely be a better player than he is now".

Goodnight.
never said otherwise. We'll see how will pan out. Goodnight.

OK, so I guess I haven't made myself perfectly clear.

I've said that he should be getting/peaking at the age of 23-25. (and to answer directly to the poster above, look what has Henry done at 23 and then come back.). He'll get better no doubt. I can't imagine moving to United would hamper his career, on the contrary. From what've seen I always had my reservations with what has he done last season and prior to that to earn his move to United.

I know that he'll improve and will be a better player, but I doubt the limits he can reach. That's all.

I never implied that this is his peak level. Once again, at this age, every player with blistering pace should've made or be making his mark. That's all.
you tell me. What had henry done? You asked for a player who's principal asset is pace and peaked later into their 20s. That is exactly what henry did. Your argument is toast. And don't even try to tell me he was at his peak before at least 27/28.

Enigma_87

You know who

Here we go again. Valencia has played over 80 matches in the course of 3 seasons. What he has done at Wigan to make you so sure that he'll certainly make it at United? He needs time, ok. I'm fine with that. What's wrong with stating what he needs to develop and better in his game?

What's wrong with saying that pacy players peak at the age of 23-25 and that he should be stepping in his prime years - having in mind he has played almost 100 matches in Premiership? If he turns out to be a grand exception let me be wrong.

With the following I agree - he surely will become a better player I have no doubts in that. But would that be enough to claim regular place? This is the only doubt I expressed, after seeing quite a lot in his time in Wigan and now at United.

Ferguson is one of the greatest manager there is. He will always better and manage players than anyone else. We'll see. I never said that he won't improve, but again, does Valencia has the natural talent of Nani, Ronaldo, Rooney etc?

you tell me. What had henry done? You asked for a player who's principal asset is pace and peaked later into their 20s. That is exactly what henry did. Your argument is toast. And don't even try to tell me he was at his peak before at least 27/28.
look now. How shall I bold the should part, to make you understand that at the age of 24 and with over 90 apps in England, he should be looking as a top player(playing at United - 3 times back to back champions). Is Valencia remotely stepping into his prime? From post one:
1. Valencia is not in his prime right now far from it.
2. He should be stepping and being in his prime, seeing him in the pacy footballers category. (if he's one of the 5% grande exceptions so be it)

3. Henry has won the French league and voted best young player in France in 97(20 years old)
4. Henry has scored 7 goals in the Cl with Monaco being in the SF's in 98
5. Henry took part in winning the WC for France the very same year at the age of 20(scoring 3 goals).
6. Henry was sold for 10 mill pound to Juventus, no one pays that much in 99 for someone who barely done something.
7. Henry scored 26 goals and 11 assists when 23 at Arsenal in his debut season.
8. Made it to UEFA team of the year and PFA team of the year that year and won the best player in France award in 00.

Do you really want to compare 23-24 years old Henry to 23-24 years old Valencia?

There are no exceptions to top tier players who relied on pace peaking at an early age. That is what you said. You said name just one. I did. You also used examples such as dyer and Lennon in the previous sentence, who have achieved feck all at any age.

Oh, and of those players you mention all played for a top club in their teens, bar dyer. Valencia has only just had that chance. All also trained in Europe in their youth. In terms of access to top facilities and coaching Valencia is a number of years behind. Still, it's far easier to generalise than look st individuals.

Any comparison between henry and Valencia would only be necessary in relation to your next point, which Im not referring to.

BaldwinLegend

look now. How shall I bold the should part, to make you understand that at the age of 24 and with over 90 apps in England, he should be looking as a top player(playing at United - 3 times back to back champions.)
So should every 24 year old with 90 PL appearances for Wigan automatically be 'looking a top player'?

Where did you get this rule from exactly?

Enigma_87

You know who
There are no exceptions to top tier players who relied on pace peaking at an early age. That is what you said. You said name just one. I did. You also used examples such as dyer and Lennon in the previous sentence, who have achieved feck all at any age.

Oh, and of those players you mention all played for a top club in their teens, bar dyer. Valencia has only just had that chance. All also trained in Europe in their youth. In terms of access to top facilities and coaching Valencia is a number of years behind. Still, it's far easier to generalise than look st individuals.

Any comparison between henry and Valencia would only be necessary in relation to your next point, which Im not referring to.
I don't think Henry is an exception. To hold his own at 20 winning the WC in the French squad, making the SF's in the CL with inferior club - Monaco, what does that tell you? He by no means "done nothing" till 24. Just because he spend a brief spell at Juventus on the wing(being completely wasted) doesn't mean that he was bad back then. Or do you think for like couple of months he became from extremely shit to one(if not the ) of the best strikers/forwards in England.

Back in Brazil the training facilities and life ain't any better. Sure it's a global sport around there and there are lots and lots of lads who have enough potential in making it. And a lot of those do make it and earn their way to those top facilities. Valencia ain't any different he saw a chance and grabbed it. Sure having a poor origin is an obstacle but there are plenty examples of world class players that shared the same faith(Romario, Drogba,etc).

Can't see being that wrong to say that pacy players should be entering/in their prime at 23/25. Sure there will be some exceptions here and there(obviously not a 20 years old WC winner with France), but I can't see from where you are so convinced that he'd be a world beater when he gains more experience. Sure he'll improve the other aspects of his game(with the help of United staff and manager) but it's naive to think that he won't lose a step or so in the process.

Ooh, dare I say patrice evra? I think I do.
Evra played being 21/22 in the CL final against Porto, he was regular starter at Monaco from day one, being the best left back while in Nice (2nd division), and had around 30-40 matches in CL (if I recall correctly before we signed him).

So should every 24 year old with 90 PL appearances for Wigan automatically be 'looking a top player'?

Where did you get this rule from exactly?
When he's signed by United and filling in Ronnies boots(yes I know they are nothing alike, and he's not brought in as a direct replacement), while the club is 3 times defending champion, having played non stop in English top tier football, playing at his favorable position, he should need much less time than say Nani who has 7 stars last season, or 22 odd, since he came. But that's just me I guess.

I can't quote cos I'm on my iPhone but your point about training facilities in Brazil is nonsense- I've heard reports that they actually now leadvtheir European counterparts in this respect. I certainly know that clubs over there invest massively in their traing facilities...
yes, now. Was the same case 10 years ago when Valencia was growing up and training in youth systems?

BaldwinLegend

I can't quote cos I'm on my iPhone but your point about training facilities in Brazil is nonsense- I've heard reports that they actually now lead their European counterparts in this respect. I certainly know that clubs over there invest massively in their training facilities...

Enigma, why are you waffling on about henry and evras achievements at that age? I'm not fecking talking about that. I'm talking about your previous point about pace reliant players peaking extremely early. Anyway, I give you grafite.

You're argument about brazil is bollocks too. Clubs there rely on their academies and invest massively. They are very much the exception to the rule in south America.

Pogue Mahone

fecking hell, Enigma, why do you find the simplest concepts so hard to grasp?

Irrespective of what he had achieved at 23, Henry was a much much better player at 27. So was Evra. So was Giggs. So was Kanchelskis. So was pretty much every fecking footballer that ever played the game, pacy or not pacy, world class or Vauxhall Conference, apart from a tiny minority whose career was ruined by injury, bad career moves or a lack of dedication

You seem to have somehow confused the ability of players that aren't reliant on pace to keep going until their mid thirtiies with quick players mysteriously declining from their mid twenties onwards.

The fact that Henry developed into one of the best few players on the planet by the time he peaked in his late twenties would explain why he had achieved more than Valencia had when he was 23. Nobody is claiming that Valencia will be as good as Henry, simply pointing out that he is another 3 or 4 years away from reaching his peak (possibly more) At this point in the debate you should really concede this point because you're starting to embarrass yourself.

Enigma_87

You know who
fecking hell, Enigma, why do you find the simplest concepts so hard to grasp?

Irrespective of what he had achieved at 23, Henry was a much much better player at 27. So was Evra. So was Giggs. So was Kanchelskis. So was pretty much every fecking footballer that ever played the game, pacy or not pacy, world class or Vauxhall Conference, apart from a tiny minority whose career was ruined by injury, bad career moves or a lack of dedication

You seem to have somehow confused the ability of players that aren't reliant on pace to keep going until their mid thirtiies with quick players mysteriously declining from their mid twenties onwards.

The fact that Henry developed into one of the best few players on the planet by the time he peaked in his late twenties would explain why he had achieved more than Valencia had when he was 23. Nobody is claiming that Valencia will be as good as Henry, simply pointing out that he is another 3 or 4 years away from reaching his peak (possibly more) At this point in the debate you should really concede this point because you're starting to embarrass yourself.
And that is what the whole argument was about. I don't think how is so hard to understand.

Every player who relied on pace as his main asset showed glimpses of what he's capable in his youth. Players like Giggs and Henry are great ones and their longetivity is one of their strengths. Weren't they in top teams prior to their 24th birthday? Didn't Reyes,Walcott, Lennon made the headlights in their teens? Didn't Henry do the same in his teens?

Has Valencia done anything compared to those guys or whatever other pacy players at 24 years of age? Can you tell me 10 matches where he put MoTM performances at Wigan and was the best player on the pitch(mind he played over 90 in Prem, and last season was undisputed first team player)?

Valencia has not shown so far that he can/will be one of the best wingers in Premiership I'm sorry.

Valencia was brought in because he was already adjusted to the Premiership and that he would need much less time to adjust to the team and formation.

And I don't think that if he doesn't 'peak' this year or the next one Fergie would wait for him to become 27-28(giving him free ride at the first team).

And lol at making Henry looking like a late bloomer. Valencia doesn't have that much variation in his game like Henry, or Evra or whoever else was mentioned here at the moment. Sure he would improve no doubt all his other attributes, but you are hyping him up as he's the next big thing. This is not Wigan and every bad match could be costly. You can't go AWOEL in matches like he used to do with Wigan and this not being noticed.

All I'm saying from post one was that he should have to be entering his peak. He should show glimpses of what he's capable even in his opening matches as he's accustomed to the Premiership.

We'll have to agree to disagree I guess. You believe that Valencia is 3-4 years away from his best and that he will make a mark then, I think his best years should come this or next season. We'll see how this is going to pan out.

This is my last post in here regarding Valencia. Be free not to hear something negative from me.

Enigma, why are you waffling on about henry and evras achievements at that age? I'm not fecking talking about that. I'm talking about your previous point about pace reliant players peaking extremely early. Anyway, I give you grafite.

You're argument about brazil is bollocks too. Clubs there rely on their academies and invest massively. They are very much the exception to the rule in south America.
the first topic has been beaten to death already. I've already said that Valencia has not shown any consistent, nor best player on the park(bar 3-4 odd games) performances at Wigan to become top-tier player. United bought raw, not finished article, but they also bought proven in Premiership commodity(i.e should be accustomed to game, lifestyle). I'm sorry but I don't like seeing players like Rossi go, when someone like Valencia is given much more opportunity in the first team, and who hasn't exactly set the world alight.

Second of all, I think you are not aware of the training regimes in Brazil.

Those who say the likes of Glenn Roeder and Glenn Hoddle were not given enough time, have never been to South America.

It is not a continent that treats coaches with much patience.

The figure of the coach was created to be a scapegoat, especially more so in contemporary South America.

Some of the major clubs have huge problems: poor training facilities, players wages unpaid for months, the best players continually sold to Europe.
Tim Vickery piece from 6 years ago. Just as an example.

In recent years there have been a number of cases in Argentina where close family members of prominent footballers have been seized and held for ransom.

The sinister logic behind the operation is easy to follow.

The top players can draw wages beyond the wildest dreams of the average worker.

But most come from poor backgrounds.

Often their family have not cut their ties with their former surroundings, making them accessible targets for the kidnappers.

The objective, of course, is the player's money. It helps, then, if he is still based at home. It means that he can easily be contacted to carry out the negotiations.

So fleeing from the kidnap threat becomes yet another factor forcing South America's best players across the Atlantic to the major leagues of Europe.

Brazil has now caught the Argentine disease.

The drive to dribble round poverty is one of the defining features of South American football
Tim Vickery

On Saturday night, the mother of Santos starlet Robinho was kidnapped on the São Paulo coast.

Clubs such as Benfica, Atletico Madrid and PSV Eindhoven have all been knocking on Robinho's door in recent weeks.

Sooner or later he is clearly bound for Europe. This sad case makes it more likely to be sooner.

Hopefully Robinho's mother will soon be safely back at home.

Once she is, no one could blame Robinho for wanting to take the next plane out of the country.

The story of Robinho's mother, Marina, reads like a lesson in contemporary Brazilian social history.

She was born in the country's impoverished North East, and at the age of 12 was given away to a family thousands of miles to the South in the boom town of São Paulo.

A year later she moved on to another family, and lost all contact with her blood relatives.
So, in a country where 2.9 million children work, and 1.3 million are not enrolled in school, a variety of initiatives use football’s popularity to help get young people off the streets and into the classroom.

Pogue Mahone

And that is what the whole argument was about. I don't think how is so hard to understand.

Every player who relied on pace as his main asset showed glimpses of what he's capable in his youth. Players like Giggs and Henry are great ones and their longetivity is one of their strengths. Weren't they in top teams prior to their 24th birthday? Didn't Reyes,Walcott, Lennon made the headlights in their teens? Didn't Henry do the same in his teens?

Has Valencia done anything compared to those guys or whatever other pacy players at 24 years of age? Can you tell me 10 matches where he put MoTM performances at Wigan and was the best player on the pitch?

Valencia has not shown so far that he can/will be one of the best wingers in Premiership I'm sorry.

Valencia was brought in because he was already adjusted to the Premiership and that he would need much less time to adjust to the team and formation.

And I don't think that if he doesn't 'peak' this year or the next one Fergie would wait for him to become 27-28(giving him free ride at the first team).

And lol at making Henry looking like a late bloomer. Valencia doesn't have that much variation in his game like Henry, or Evra or whoever else was mentioned here at the moment. Sure he would improve no doubt all his other attributes, but you are hyping him up as he's the next big thing. This is not Wigan and every bad match could be costly. You can't go AWOEL in matches like he used to do with Wigan and this not being noticed.

All I'm saying from post one was that he should have to be entering his peak. He should show glimpses of what he's capable even in his opening matches as he's accustomed to the Premiership.

We'll have to agree to disagree I guess. You believe that Valencia is 3-4 years away from his best and that he will make a mark then, I think his best years should come this or next season. We'll see how this is going to pan out.

This is my last post in here regarding Valencia. Be free not to hear something negative from me.
No. You said he should already be at his peak. Having only just turned 24.

You also claimed that all "pacy" players peak between 23-25 years old.

You're completely and utterly wrong on both accounts.

I'll leave it at that.

gaffs

Valencia did ok again last night, without really shining. Should have probably scored, but at least he is getting in good positions.

Andy Townsend did a good little piece at half time - yes, i was surprised too.

He was saying how when we were counter attacking, Valencia wasn’t really directly breaking with the ball at full speed like Ronaldo used to. He showed a couple of examples where we were on the counter and Valencia could have run at his man or run into the space ahead, but instead, slowed down and passed inside and we lost the momentum in the move.

He said that this may be because at Wigan he wasn’t used to playing in that way. I thought it was a good point.

With experience and confidence, im sure Valencia will pick this up.

I think at the moment, Valencia looks to be trying to do the basics well - hopefully we will then see more from him once he has settled in, got used to playing for United and established himself.

Maybe its just me, but I haven’t really noticed much link up between him and O'Shea. Certainly nothing as frequent or fluid as O'Shea/Ronaldo or Brown/Ronaldo. The ball seems to come from O’Shea, into one of the midfielders, then out to Valencia – maybe that’s so Valencia can get in behind the full back, rather than beating him with the ball.

One more point – When I look at Valencia, I start to think that we took for granted one of Ronaldos best attributes – that he was genuinely two footed. Valencia is so right footed.

Sure, Giggs is very left footed too, but thee way he moves is very different to Valencia. Giggs jinks his way through defenders like a downhill skier goes though a slalom course. He uses his speed, low centre of gravity, his great close control, both sides of his left foot and his old snake hips. Point is, despite only being left footed, defenders never knew, and still don’t know, which way Giggs would go.

Valencia is more direct, more one dimensional – its almost like he is running on rails at times. Sometimes that works well – like against City in the second half when he started running at, and in behind, Bridge. But in the long term, I think that its going to limit his effectiveness. Unless he works on his left foot, we are not going to see him come off his flank with the ball and hit a shot from the edge of the box. Top defenders will find him easy to defend against because they know he will always try and go round the outside.

Anyway – we still have a good player in Valencia and I think he will do well for us. Early days, but I just don’t see him becoming a real star for us.

Pogue Mahone

If you combined the best bits of Valencia's two European games this season you'd have a terrific player.

In the first game he repeatedly raped his full-back but his final ball let him down. In this game he didn't take his full-back on nearly enough but when he did get the chance to cross, his delivery was almost always dangerous.

Surely only a matter of time before he puts it all together.

Brophs

The One and Only
I think when you consider he's not played at this level before, he's doing pretty well.

I'd have him instead of Park more often than not, and he's starting to be a little more expansive with the ball as he gains confidence.

I have high hopes that he'll be a really good 'old-fashioned' winger for us.

His hair's a bit feckin' odd though.

Pogue Mahone

Unless he works on his left foot, we are not going to see him come off his flank with the ball and hit a shot from the edge of the box. Top defenders will find him easy to defend against because they know he will always try and go round the outside.
That's not entirely true though. He does cut in sometimes.

Our goal against Besiktas began with him cutting inside and he linked up brilliantly with Rooney and Berbatov last night in arguably our best move of the game (the one with two back-heels that ended in Rooney shooting tamely at the keeper)

RonaldoVII

If you combined the best bits of Valencia's two European games this season you'd have a terrific player.

In the first game he repeatedly raped his full-back but his final ball let him down. In this game he didn't take his full-back on nearly enough but when he did get the chance to cross, his delivery was almost always dangerous.

Surely only a matter of time before he puts it all together.
We've been saying that with Nani for over 2 seasons now :nervous:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I was hoping he would bomb down that right flank constantly, and run at the defenders. Seems like he needs more time than I was expecting, since he did so well in pre-season

gaffs

Our goal against Besiktas began with him cutting inside and he linked up brilliantly with Rooney and Berbatov last night in arguably our best move of the game (the one with two back-heels that ended in Rooney shooting tamely at the keeper)
I was referring to him cutting inside with the ball. The Besiktas goal was a one two then pass across the area.

Yeah, he will cut in sometimes with the ball, but he wont unleash a shot on his left - or even be able to play the reverse ball while going across the 18 yard box.

Plus, i said top defenders. I don’t think Besiktas' left back fell into that category.

Pogue Mahone

I was referring to him cutting inside with the ball. The Besiktas goal was a one two then pass across the area.

Yeah, he will cut in sometimes with the ball, but he wont unleash a shot on his left - or even be able to play the reverse ball while going across the 18 yard box.

Plus, i said top defenders. I don’t think Besiktas' left back fell into that category.
The unleashing a shot bit is irrelevant really. You said that defenders will know that he never cuts inside, when in fact he does sometimes cut inside. It's that element of doubt which will help him burn them on the outside.

He obviously needs to improve pretty much every aspect of his game but I don't think he would have been the success he's been at Wigan if he didn't have the beating of a large number of very solid full-backs, not least a recent CL finalist - our own John O'Shea

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

That move was sexual.

gaffs

Actually i said.......

Unless he works on his left foot, we are not going to see him come off his flank with the ball and hit a shot from the edge of the box. Top defenders will find him easy to defend against because they know he will always try and go round the outside.
I have highlighted the key point. He will always try and go round the outside - especially with the ball at feet and when there is space in behind.

I didn’t say he never cuts inside, as you suggested.

Defenders will try and show him the inside to neutralise his main threats - his speed and his right foot.

Being able to unleash a shot is far from irrelevant - being able to come off the flank and do that, like Nani can, adds a whole extra dimenension to a wingers game.

Pogue Mahone

Actually i said.......

I have highlighted the key point. He will always try and go round the outside - especially with the ball at feet and when there is space in behind.

I didn’t say he never cuts inside, as you suggested.

Defenders will try and show him the inside to neutralise his main threats - his speed and his right foot.

Being able to unleash a shot is far from irrelevant - being able to come off the flank and do that, like Nani can, adds a whole extra dimenension to a wingers game.
It was the "always" bit I was responding to actually.

I see your point but I don't have any major concerns about a right-winger who won't score many goals (or take many shots) with his left-foot. We've been spoilt with Ronaldo, there's been a lot of excellent wingers who are fairly one-footed.

jrsenior

As someone said, he does cut inside from time to time.
I suspect we will se more of this as he grows into his role in the team.

He has already showed that he is capable of good one touch passing when cutting it does not have to be a shot on goal for it to be productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.