Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cina

Everyone tells me Valencia is still good for Ecuador but he really was poor across all three games.

I'm not sure what van Gaal sees in him at this stage but he obviously knows better than me.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Never a red for me. Digne slides in and knocks the ball under Valencia foot. That made him tread on the ball and slip, causing him to tread on digne by accident. Ok sure the ref doesn't get the slow mo replay, but calling him an idiot is very very unfair.

Sam

Van Gaal is going to get a horrible horrible surprise when he realises that Valenica is a shadow of the player he probably remembers from that Bayern tie in 2010.

Johan77

Never a red for me. Digne slides in and knocks the ball under Valencia foot. That made him tread on the ball and slip, causing him to tread on digne by accident. Ok sure the ref doesn't get the slow mo replay, but calling him an idiot is very very unfair.
This

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Everyone tells me Valencia is still good for Ecuador but he really was poor across all three games.

I'm not sure what van Gaal sees in him at this stage but he obviously knows better than me.
Didn't watch the other games but he definitely wasn't poor tonight. Not great but nowhere near poor. Didn't get much joy on the wing but helped out a lot in central midfield (which was much needed). Silly red card though. Watch France walk all over them now.

Giggsforever

He has been really poor, as usual. Clear red card as well, why the hell show your studs there in a match like this.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Thought it was a harsh call. But nice to see the hate muppets out in full force seconds after the incident.

Cina

Didn't watch the other games but he definitely wasn't poor tonight. Not great but nowhere near poor. Didn't get much joy on the wing but helped out a lot in central midfield. Silly red card though.
Unfortunate red card cause he didn't mean it, but definitely still a red card, especially given fifa's stance on studs up challenges this WC.

I barely noticed him on the pitch for around 35 minutes and can't remember him doing anything worthwhile. He was poor.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I am guessing his confidence will be at really low point after all of this. It was on low point anyway, he had two poor seasons, then his friend dies, and now he could end up costing his national team at the World Cup, shame. It's really hard to see him recovering from all this.

Shark

@NotShark
I am guessing his confidence will be at really low point after all of this. It was on low point anyway, he had two poor seasons, then his friend dies, and now he could end up costing his national team at the World Cup, shame. It's really hard to see him recovering from all this.
Aye, he's mentally fecked.

Sam

The commentator even mentioned at the start of the match that the Ecuador manager has been disappointed with Valencia's contribution so far this tournament.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Bollocks. Haven't watched the other games but he's playing ok tonight. Not playing as a winger though, which is interesting. Mainly playing centrally.
Pretty much. Played a key role in the first half, one seemingly much too complex for this place's perennial 12-year-olds to comprehend.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Any chance they can switch his ban to premier league games? Pretty please.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Unfortunate red card cause he didn't mean it, but definitely still a red card, especially given fifa's stance on studs up challenges this WC.

I barely noticed him on the pitch for around 35 minutes and can't remember him doing anything worthwhile. He was poor.
Saw a lot of the ball and was pretty much the only Ecuador midfielder to show any composure in posession. Wasn't eye-catching or flashy but nowhere near as bad as the usual suspects are making out.

Acole9

Outstanding
The Ecuador manager has even admitted he's been disappointing at this World Cup.

Shark

@NotShark
He played a role, but that's all he seems to do these days, when a few years back he was tearing Ashley Cole a new one. I don't want to see him start as our main right winger next season.

Cina

Saw a lot of the ball and was pretty much the only Ecuador midfielder to show any composure in posession. Wasn't eye-catching or flashy but nowhere near as bad as the usual suspects are making out.
Well they'll do that won't they?

I thought he was poor largely cause I've higher expectations of him for Ecuador given that he's supposed to be their best player and has supposedly still been in good form for them. I've watched all three games they played and I thought he ranged from poor to average in all of them and again looked incapable of creating a thing the whole time. His own manager said he had a poor tournament!

I wanted to see something from Valencia that would show me there's still a good player in there who was worthy of a new contract but I haven't seen it. I want to watch the Valencia of two years ago play for us next season, not the drivel we've been subjected to week in week out for the last two seasons. Maybe we will, but it seems unlikely.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Pretty much. Played a key role in the first half, one seemingly much too complex for this place's perennial 12-year-olds to comprehend.
Yup. France created more or less feck all when he was still on the pitch and have been all over Ecuador since. There's a reason for that and it's not just the extra man. Like I said, not a great performance but quietly effective.

Will be interesting to see how Van Gaal uses him. Obviously gave the go ahead for the new contract, so will have something in mind.

Mainoldo

I kept trying to look for positives but this guy has become soooo boring. What was the point of him on the wing for the past 2 games and then they bring him inside and made Cleverley look like a creative midfield player.

Cina

Yup. France created more or less feck all when he was still on the pitch and have been all over Ecuador since. There's a reason for that and it's not just the extra man. Like I said, not a great performance but quietly effective.

Will be interesting to see how Van Gaal uses him. Obviously gave the go ahead for the new contract, so will have something in mind.
You mean since Ecuador started playing with ten men? Who'd a thunk it!

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
This

Watching it on French TV and french commentators (including Wenger) were surprised he got a red card

Shimo

Just seen the play and it's not a definite red - can see why it was given as the guy is on the ground with a injury high up the leg but, I've got my 8 year old screaming downstairs that Digne slid in and Valencia foot went off the ball. Trying to explain to him can see why it's given but, I also see the point that Digne doesn't come sliding across with his leg on the ground (not high up) - and the unfortunate the foot bouncing off the ball, the injury doesn't happen and no way is a red given.

Annahnomoss

I never got why you hated so obviously on our other options out wide but now I see you really like Valencia. Nothing wrong with that for me, he is a United player and I am happy someone is trying to support him through his poor times and haven't given up on him. Every player deserves at least a few people who believe in them until they are sold.

Personally I think he put in his usual performance, he plays like a pretty good full-back when his own team has the ball and defends like a really shitty full-back when he doesn't have the ball. If he just stepped his defense up he'd be a great back-up for Rafael who is inevitably going to get injured.

Cina

I suspect you stopped reading a sentence too soon...
Well the other reason is that France have worn them down all game and once Ecuador went down to ten men they were doomed. They look knackered.

But hey, I once jokingly suggested using Valencia as a defensive midfielder, maybe I was actually on to something?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
This

Watching it on French TV and french commentators (including Wenger) were surprised he got a red card
That's wee bit surprising. He hates dangerous tackles. Plus he's French, obviously!

Interesting though. I guess the "brainless wanker" stuff from our resident geniuses might be wide of the mark. No great surprise.

Annahnomoss

Well the other reason is that France have worn them down all game and once Ecuador went down to ten men they were doomed. They look knackered.

But hey, I once jokingly suggested using Valencia as a defensive midfielder, maybe I was actually on to something?
Wouldn't be a bad idea if it wasn't for him being so extremely one footed. You need to make one touch passes with boot feet and Valencia usually needs more than one touch even when receiving with his right. Otherwise it would have been really interesting, but the level he needs to improve for it to be viable is huge.

m1y2

wank winger = winker.. well he looked really like hes shy 18 years old kid taken to the world cup, doesnt want to do anything bad and then loses his mind.. still loves him, hell be a good winkback under van Gaal I am sure

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies

Yeah, it will be very interesting. He offers plenty of tactical flexibility. For instance, he'd be perfect in the Janmaat role.

acnumber9

Thought it was a harsh call. But nice to see the hate muppets out in full force seconds after the incident.
Couldn't afford to miss the opportunity. You'd think people here are glad he's got sent off. A player who works as hard as he does and has done nothing to question his integrity really shouldn't have such shite flung in his direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.