Antony at leftback…

Mike Smalling

Sorry I’m just trying to think outside the box. Something our manager should be doing. As it’s clear the same-old-shit isn’t working.
Trying him way out of position will not make him an adequate player all of a sudden. Antony at either full-back would likely be a disaster.

If anything, I'd be more interested in trying him in a more central role, but obviously Bruno plays there 95% of the time.

CallyRed

More like left back in the dressing room, you know what I'm sayin.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He's way too slow and cannot carry the ball, you want your full backs to be able to start your counter attacks and he would just slow us down at the first station.

We cannot salvage Antony. There isn't a role for him in which he is going to succeed in Premier League.

TrailMonkey

No chance. He'd turn back inside and play the ball back to B'Onana Skin every time.

lex talionis

It's a really bad idea, but I appreciate the out-of-the-box thinking in response to our LB problem with both Shaw and Malacia out for so long this season. Dalot has been steady enough at LB to rubbish talk of Antony or anyone else in the squad getting a trial at the position.

Winrar

I would try this it if and only if we're so desperate to fill that position in an emergency. Getting rid of him is obviously the priority, but not sure if that's possible due to his wages.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
It is desperate, but appreciate the out of the box thinking

It will never happen, though, because neither Antony not EtH will even entertain this

redmanx

How about Antony simply being left out? He has to be one of the worst signings I can remember!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
In terms of bad ideas on the Caf, this ranks above AWB as DM, but below Lingard as DM (which in my mind is still the greatest "Lets try this player here" shout ever)

spiriticon

I think Ajax could give it a go when he moves back there next summer for 20 million.

el3mel

It is desperate, but appreciate the out of the box thinking

It will never happen, though, because neither Antony not EtH will even entertain this
It's not out of box at United when we already pulled it in the past with Valencia and Young.

I actually think it's not a bad idea and might work.

maurinho

Supports
FC Porto
Found Jorge Jesus’ burner account.

(Famously wanted to turn Bernardo Silva into a LB, and had great success with Fabio Coentrao)

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
It's not out of box at United when we already pulled it in the past with Valencia and Young.

I actually think it's not a bad idea and might work.
Who is "we"?

People who have done it in the past have nothing to do with United, anymore. We are talking about now

el3mel

Who is "we"?

People who have done it in the past have nothing to do with United, anymore. We are talking about now
Our current manager played Wout Weghorst as a creative number 10 and have been doing the same now with Scott McTominay so playing players out of position isn't in the past.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Most fullbacks didn't start out as full backs. They were converted to that position. And in many cases, they started out as wingers. The fact that so many here are rubbishing the idea of Antony at LB proves once again how limited the football knowledge is of most people here at the Caf. I'm not saying that it would work, but it's not as crazy of an idea as many are making it out to be...

Lyng

Most fullbacks didn't start out as full backs. They were converted to that position. And in many cases, they started out as wingers. The fact that so many here are rubbishing the idea of Antony at LB proves once again how limited the football knowledge is of most people here at the Caf. I'm not saying that it would work, but it's not as crazy of an idea as many are making it out to be...
I think the reason people are against it is more because of Antony as a player, than the idea of converting a winger to a fullback.

Gordon Godot

Do we need another Antony thread? Above all else he lack the physicality for the Premier league, he often gets brushed off the ball and he's also not that fast. So terrible idea, not least learning the position it would need a couple of season to adapt effectively. The only solution is to ship him at the first opportunity.

Denis79

It's worth a try, He isn't doing the job as a winger and on top of that he cost a fortune, so why not try him as a wing-back in less important matches? I mean it's either sell or try and find some use for him? 80M rotting on the bench is just stupid and bad business.

Munkehboi

He'd probably play every forward onside when the rest of the defensive line steps up. Might have the physical attributes but I doubt he would have the defensive awareness for that role.

Mike Smalling

It won't be long before we can field an entire XI of current Man Utd players in their weird suggested positions that will somehow make them viable footballers. So far we have Lindelöf as DM, McTominay as striker, Antony as left back, and Mount as left wing.

BuzzKillington

I think Ajax could give it a go when he moves back there next summer for 20 million.
He’s that shit I genuinely don’t think anybody would give us more than £10m for him, and some of that would be made up with conditional performance related fees. Hands down, the worst purchase we’ve ever made.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
We should try him at left wing first. I would like to see him whip in crosses from the byline.

He is not a good passer so I don't understand how some of you want him as a CM.