Antony at leftback…

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
We already have a young specialized LB, why would you even entertain this experiment ?
I wasn't aware of this Amass lad, my information sources have let down, looking at you United Hour podcast. I thought the crisis had left us with nothing at that position, hence my out the box solution.

Last edited:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Disagree.

He was good today in that situation of all guns blazing, attack attack attack, but still lost possession a few times and was out of position, which more often than not would cost us.

Patchbeard

If Dalot or AWB get injured again then I really don't think it's a terrible idea to start him there now, given how uninspiring the other alternatives are. Not sure he was over the moon with it given the clip of him at HT in ET...but he put his toys back in the pram once the game started again and would provide a better outlet than Lindelof or Evans.

Semigoodlookin

That is a glimpse into the troubles that have been a problem at United for years, players who think they are above it all. You never see that with teams that are driven to win, the player does what he is told without causing a public fuss. I do not even think it is a respect issue with ETH, as the lack of professionalism has been happening over multiple managers. And to add, Antony is luck to be on the pitch considering how shit he has been.

SER19

That is a glimpse into the troubles that have been a problem at United for years, players who think they are above it all. You never see that with teams that are driven to win, the player does what he is told without causing a public fuss. I do not even think it is a respect issue with ETH, as the lack of professionalism has been happening over multiple managers. And to add, Antony is luck to be on the pitch considering how shit he has been.
im not sure you can reach that conclusion based on this video. weve just conceded here and for all we know, ten hag has hammered him for not closing down elliots shot even though it was more on eriksen to do so and antony covered more ground to try block it. Im just guessing too, but yours is a strong opinion to give on a blurry video with no audio

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
He's an emotional guy and probably was having his best appearance in a united shirt, had scored a goal and was making stuff happen. Probably felt like an awful kick in the stones being moved to left back. He thought he could make more impact if he was left where he was clearly. Obviously cares and it's good to see a bit of fire in the belly so wouldn't see it as a big deal at all

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
The likes of Giggs, Keane, McClair, Rooney, and ilk would have gone to their assigned position and carried on. What a sad little shit unhappy he can't play as a forward.

John Blund

Ashley Young and Valencia were better crossers of the ball, and actually did get past the defenders, still they converted to be attacking fullbacks. Antony can't continue to be shit RW and carry on as a United-player. I prefer to see him gone, but if he's staying, he needs to play where the manager tells him to play.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Seems he wasn’t a fan of this.

Yeah not great. I thought during the game at right wing he was playing with intensity and more and more confident, but then at left back he looked completely disinterested. Which isn't great in a game like that to be pouty rather than just give your all.

Still, he did well on the day and don't want to shit on him much. But you want to see players realize they have to sacrifice for the team sometimes.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
The likes of Giggs, Keane, McClair, Rooney, and ilk would have gone to their assigned position and carried on.
Yep. Fletch, Carrick, O’Shea, Young etc.

One should be able to get on with it and do anything it takes to win the game. You often hear in interviews players saying ”I’ll play wherever the manager wants me to…”, this seemed like the opposite.

RuudTom83

Happy to see him score! but the video above isn't great, and it's easy to make parallels from that reaction to other parts of his game/character.

It's one of the reasons the likes of McTom will get games ahead of other more talented players...that willingness to do a role anywhere.

tidraKS

Sell him now, the video material is enough. Okay you scored a goal, but it's not like you were having a dream game. You're losing and being asked to play in another position for 15 mins, and you do this kind of sh*t? Worst character in the team.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Sell him now, the video material is enough. You're losing and being asked to play in another position for 15 mins, and you do this kind of sh*t? Worst character in the team.
did he refuse to play there, or did he just voice his dissatisfaction and then get on with it? confrontation is heathy and a requirement of any successful enterprise. ten hag should be questioned. seeing rashford get involved and get him focused again was great to see. those are the kind of incidents that give hope that they might work it all out. way better than apathy and acceptance.

tidraKS

did he refuse to play there, or did he just voice his dissatisfaction and then get on with it? confrontation is heathy and a requirement of any successful enterprise. ten hag should be questioned. seeing rashford get involved and get him focused again was great to see. those are the kind of incidents that give hope that they might work it all out. way better than apathy and acceptance.
He can't voice his dissatisfaction or question the manager in these kinds of moments. We're losing, and we don't have a left back, so coach thinks you should play there, end of discussion. Bruno was playing DM/CB and was having an injury, and I didn't see him complaining a single second. Also in the Amad goal, I think he should try harder, he just stops his run. What if Amad's shot is stopped by GK, there could be a rebound shot. I don't see willingness in his game at all.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Horrible attitude. Fair enough on his contribution to bringing us level but, once again, a few times we broke away and the moment the ball reached him he completely killed the momentum. I was delighted to see him binned off at the back so he couldn't get in the way.

BTW, that's the one thing I love about Onana. Not my ideal goalkeeper by any stretch, but seems a very positive character and that's pretty huge when you are an instrumental part of a back 5 (e.g. see DDG - Maguire for a lousy chemistry).

aeh1991

Get rid of him if possible. I know he had a good game for once and was one of the players who led us to the semis. But still, overall a player who is not good enough and has a questionable character.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He's an emotional guy and probably was having his best appearance in a united shirt, had scored a goal and was making stuff happen. Probably felt like an awful kick in the stones being moved to left back. He thought he could make more impact if he was left where he was clearly. Obviously cares and it's good to see a bit of fire in the belly so wouldn't see it as a big deal at all
Nah feck that, he’s not Ronaldo it’s not like he’s been lighting it up this season, he should just be thrilled to be on the pitch at this point. Throwing a temper tantrum because we are short handed at the back and we need you to play there for 15 minutes is unbelievably annoying considering how shit his career has already been here.

Grande

Seems he wasn’t a fan of this.

I read it as him not having confidence in himself to be able to play LB against Liverpool, understandably, and better to speak up about it when you can. People firget how many behind the scenes there was of players like Scholes, Beckham, Keane, Van Nistelrooj, even Forlan, going against the wishes of the manager under Ferguson even. But I thought Antony did well in his stunted role. Ten Hag was right about this. Ten Hag and @IrishRedDevil.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I'm not too arsed about him being pissed off at being asked to play LB. Considering he was having his best performance in a United shirt, he was bound to be frustrated at having his wings clipped. I know the likes of Giggs and Beckham wouldn't have reacted the same way, but this is just unfortunately what a lot of PL footballers are like in 2024. Spoiled brats.

I was far more irritated watching him high five and hug Gakpo when he was warming up whilst Liverpool were running rings round us at 2-1. Read the room bro.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Salah and Mane fought plenty of times on the pitch over petty stuff about not passing to each other when Liverpool were at their best. Mane came off the pitch shouting at Klopp about It in a game they easily won. It happens.

LDUred

It's fine having him there as cover or as a surprise tactical option, but as full time full back, no way.

Being a defender requires positional awareness, communication skills, and anticipation which are hard to pick up midway through a career. A defender's workload out of possession is so much more crucial than is often assumed. It's not just about being able to put a tackle in.

He does possess some raw defensive attributes which means he could do a job for a game or two, but he would be horribly exposed eventually.

He's not such a bad player as people make out so just give him time and he will hopefully come good again. He's the kind of player who will play well if the team is, because he relies on short passing and fizzing the ball about in the final third. His second half of the season has shown some improvement, even if it's not enough to say that he's turned the corner.

I know that Valencia converted into a FB midway through his career but Valencia was much more tactically astute than he was given credit for. He was also probably one of the strongest players in the Prem and also one of the quickest, which meant he had two ways of bailing himself out. Antony doesn't have either of those.

Last edited:

jeepers

If it’s true and he’s publicly showing his displeasure towards EtH, he won’t be here very long anyway. We’ve seen what happens to players who try to feck around with EtH

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Can ye stop being such gowls? He scored a vital goal against our arch rivals and had a great game. Very happy. Hopefully turns a corner

mu4c_20le

If it’s true and he’s publicly showing his displeasure towards EtH, he won’t be here very long anyway. We’ve seen what happens to players who try to feck around with EtH
Meh he was just being one of us... did the hand near the head gesture like the gaffer's lost it

Yeah not great. I thought during the game at right wing he was playing with intensity and more and more confident, but then at left back he looked completely disinterested. Which isn't great in a game like that to be pouty rather than just give your all.

Still, he did well on the day and don't want to shit on him much. But you want to see players realize they have to sacrifice for the team sometimes.
Sell him now, the video material is enough. Okay you scored a goal, but it's not like you were having a dream game. You're losing and being asked to play in another position for 15 mins, and you do this kind of sh*t? Worst character in the team.
Horrible attitude. Fair enough on his contribution to bringing us level but, once again, a few times we broke away and the moment the ball reached him he completely killed the momentum. I was delighted to see him binned off at the back so he couldn't get in the way.

BTW, that's the one thing I love about Onana. Not my ideal goalkeeper by any stretch, but seems a very positive character and that's pretty huge when you are an instrumental part of a back 5 (e.g. see DDG - Maguire for a lousy chemistry).
Get rid of him if possible. I know he had a good game for once and was one of the players who led us to the semis. But still, overall a player who is not good enough and has a questionable character.
Honestly you guys are making a big deal about nothing, any reason to have a go at him.

Wrecking ralf

Pretty sure that video isn’t him moaning about being played left back. He looks to gesture to Eriksen, and then speak to rashford while gesturing towards the goal, so it’s probably after getting a grilling regarding not closing down Elliot for his goal, which Eriksen deflected into the net.

top1whoisman

Scout
Pretty sure that video isn’t him moaning about being played left back. He looks to gesture to Eriksen, and then speak to rashford while gesturing towards the goal, so it’s probably after getting a grilling regarding not closing down Elliot for his goal, which Eriksen deflected into the net.
What about the ”pointing to the brains” gesture and spreading arms towards the coaching staff?

stevoc

To be fair despite having a moan he still did what the manager asked of him and did pretty well at LB considering.

Wrecking ralf

What about the ”pointing to the brains” gesture and spreading arms towards the coaching staff?
Common gesture for being confused about something, happens a lot when players are booked by referees. I’d imagine someone would be confused by being reprimanded for or included in a goal being conceded by someone else’s deflection.

CallyRed

Something Football Manager has got right. Players being upset playing out of position. He'd have had a red angry face.

top1whoisman

Scout
Common gesture for being confused about something, happens a lot when players are booked by referees. I’d imagine someone would be confused by being reprimanded for or included in a goal being conceded by someone else’s deflection.
Agree to disagree, to me it looks obvious he’s not happy with the position change and teammates are telling him to get on with it. But I understand that the clip leaves some room for interpretation.

macheda14

Everyone taking a video with no dialogue as gospel that he complained about playing left back. Are people really that swayed by a caption on Twitter?